The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Vs FC Twente EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Vs FC Twente EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Vs FC Twente Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Vs FC Twente

Vs FC Twente Empty Vs FC Twente

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 23:23

Tottenham have only one recognised centre-back in Sebastian Bassong for Wednesday's visit of Dutch champions FC Twente in the Champions League.

Williams Gallas, Ledley King (both groin), Michael Dawson (knee and ankle) and Younes Kaboul (hamstring) are all sidelined with injury.

Right-back Vedram Corluka could play alongside Bassong, as he did in the 1-0 defeat by West Ham on Saturday.

Striker Jermain Defoe (ankle) also misses out.

Despite the injury crisis, Spurs manager Harry Redknapp said his side would be looking to attack in the Group A encounter in order to seal their first Champions League win.

"We have to go for it," stated Redknapp. "Getting a win is all important, if we get a win it sets us up nearly nicely. The group is wide open on one point each at the moment.

"Inter Milan are obviously the favourites but after that it is wide open. We have looked at a couple of Twente's games on video and they have one or two really good players.

"But at home, the crowd are up and it will be an intimidating atmosphere like against Young Boys [the Swiss side Spurs beat to reach the group stage proper] and we attacked them and got after them from the start.

"That is what we have to do in these [home] European games, especially in this group.

"In Milan you might set up differently. If you play some teams you would not be playing 4-4-2 or you would get ripped to pieces."

Meanwhile, Dutchman Rafael van der Vaart said he hoped his experience in Europe would rub off on the rest of his team.

"I have a lot of experience in the Champions League," stated 27-year-old midfielder Van der Vaart, who joined Spurs from Real Madrid in the summer.

"I have played with Ajax in the Champions League, and Hamburg and Madrid. I hope I can help the team and I'm sure I can."

"He will do well for us," said Redknapp. "I have been really impressed with him. He is a good lad, he wants to play, he wants to win and has got a good attitude.

"He's got 80 caps for his country and you don't get them if you are a mug."

Van der Vaart's importance to the side has increased as winger Aaron Lennon has suffered a slump in form that has seen him lose his place in the England squad.

"I think it's about confidence," Redknapp explained. "You've got to keep working with him because, when he's on his game he's a top-class wide player, so we need to get him back to doing that again."

Tottenham and Twente both drew their opening group games 2-2 - Spurs gave away a two-goal lead away to Werder Bremen while Twente managed a creditable point at home to reigning champions Inter Milan.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Vs FC Twente Empty Re: Vs FC Twente

Post by LOBO Wed Sep 29 2010, 00:41

You know this aint going to be easy , i know its only FC Twenty but it was only westham on saturday and it was only wigan that came to the lane and beat us 1 nil, i don't hold high expectation for this season to be honest because time everyone gets fit it will be Crimbo, im worried seriously worried, i can't handle another season of thursday night football channel 5 and playing every fricking sunday is what you'll get with the europa " sighs"

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07 2024, 06:10