The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs FC Twente EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs FC Twente Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Match Thread Vs FC Twente

Match Thread Vs FC Twente Empty Match Thread Vs FC Twente

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 02:54

Well the general consensus seems to be it was points dropped against the Nasal Twangers on Saturday so let's hope for a return to winning ways on Tuesday. Be nice to top what was percieved as a very tough group. But to be honest qualification it's self is a magnificent feat so this should be a game that can be enjoyed for the event rather than the result. Twente will be looking for some payback after they felt aggrieved with the way things went for them at The Lane. Wonder how strong a team 'arry will send out for this one ? All told with not too pressure on the team it sholud be an opportuinity for the team to play with freedom & panache . . . . . .

Match Thread Vs FC Twente Empty Re: Match Thread Vs FC Twente

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 02:58

Overall (1 matches)

Results Total %

Twente Enschede 0 (0.00%)

Tottenham Hotspur 1 (100.00%)

Draws 0 (0.00%)

Goals Total Av.pg

Twente Enschede 1 (1.00pg)

Tottenham Hotspur 4 (4.00pg)

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 02:59

Record Scores

Highest Aggregate 5 Tottenham Hotspur 4 - 1 Twente Enschede 2010/2011

Highest Twente Enschede score: 1 Tottenham Hotspur 4 - 1 Twente Enschede 2010/2011

Highest Tottenham Hotspur score: 4 Tottenham Hotspur 4 - 1 Twente Enschede 2010/2011

Match-by-match

Season Date Home Score Away Competition

2010/2011 Wed 29 Sep Tottenham Hotspur 4 - 1 Twente Enschede Champions League

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 03:23

P W D L F A GD PTS
    1 Tottenham 5 3 1 1 15 8 7 10
    2 Inter Milan 5 3 1 1 12 8 4 10
    3 FC Twente 5 1 2 2 6 8 -2 5
    4 Werder Bremen 5 0 2 3 3 12 -9 2

Tottenham and Inter Milan progress to the knockout stages, while FC Twente will play in the Europa League as Werder Bremen cannot topple them because of a poorer head-to-head record against the Dutch. Spurs need to match or better Inter's result to top the group.

So is the game a "dead rubber" ? Twente cannot hope to better there position. Not sure if the Europa is seeded for clubs with slightly better records in C/L. We could do with a win but as long as we match the Inter result we go through as group winners. As I said the perfect game to enjoy the occasion . . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 04:23

wont they drop into the uefa cup if they beat us.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 04:42

Their already guaranteed a Europa Cup place Lought . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 04:58

oh really thats great news. hopfully they play the kids.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 08:49

so what line up will everybody wana see tuesday
    gomez
    hutton daws bassong galas
    lennon jenas modric bale
    supepav defoe

i would give ekotto a rest. hes been making stupid errors lately.

subs cudichini crouch bentley wp kranker sandro ekotto

hopefully get 3 0 up and take bale off and give him a rest
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Dec 07 2010, 08:52

Personally i think with qualification already secured we need keep 1 eye on Chelsea Sunday, be fantastic to top the group with a win and miss the soo called BIG teams in the last 16 but come on the last 16 of the champs leauge there all hard games! If reports are too believed Twente are out to avenge the the elbow by Thudd in the game at the Lane, i fear for some of our "creative" players like Modric, Bale, Lennon. We need to beat Chelsea, a team with only 1 win in there last 6 games
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Dec 07 2010, 08:54

Gomes

Corluka
    Dawson
    Bassong
    Ekotto

Lennon
    Palacios
    Modric
    Kranjcar
    Crouch
    Defoe

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 09:03

A sourceof mine (lol me German mate who reads the newspapers over there) has hinted that because of Bremens poor league form they may well play their "kids". Therefore a result for Milano. If I was 'arry I would go for Defoe. He has stated it is his dream to play C/L footie so let's give him a go . . . . .

Gomes
    Hutton Gallas Bassong Ekotto
    Palacious
    Lennon Bale
    Modric
    Defoe Pavyluchenko

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 09:21

roper fc twenty or 2nd in there league and will have more games in the uefa cup. im sure they wouldnt want to risk injurys in a meaninless game for them. they are 3rd they cant do nuffing else in the champions league.

saying that maybe we should rest bale. we beaten chelsea at home for 3 season on the spin. surley they wont want to go 7 without a win.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Dec 07 2010, 18:01

Id give Bale a rest, keep him fresh for Sunday santa
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Dec 07 2010, 21:08

Twente are missing their star player Ruiz through injury and are giving their veteran goalie a run out for sentimental reasons....
    TWENTE NOT OUT FOR REVENGE | Sporting Life - Football | Football Transfers, Holland Eredivisie News, Fixtures, Results, Match.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 05:11

Jermaine Jenas is fit after a calf injury but fellow midfielder Luka Modric is a doubt as Tottenham eye top spot in Champions League Group A.

Jenas limped out of the 3-0 win over Werder Bremen two weeks ago, while Modric has been struck down by flu.

Spurs have already qualified for the last 16 knockout stage, and can go through as group winners should they beat Dutch champions Twente on Tuesday.

Rafael van der Vaart (hamstring) and Younes Kaboul (hip) are still missing.

Sandro is ineligible, while Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate (both groin) and Jamie O'Hara (back) are longer-term absentees.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp said that finishing top of the group could create a smoother path to the quarter-finals of Europe's elite competition.

"It's [teams like] Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Barcelona otherwise" he reflected. "You want to finish top and avoid them.

"You would certainly have a better chance of getting someone [less difficult] and progressing."

The north Londoners currently lead Group A on goal difference from holders Inter Milan, who travel to Werder Bremen for their final game.

"Inter will want to win; Twente will want to beat us, for sure, and we want to finish top if we can, so there is a lot to play for," Redknapp added.

"Inter Milan will go to Germany looking to win because that top position is important."

Twente's fate has already been decided, with the Dutch champions guaranteed third place, meaning they will parachute into the knockout stage of the Europa League.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTTENHAM TEAM [FROM]:

Gomes, Cudicini, Hutton, Corluka, Bale, Dawson, Gallas, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto, Palacios, Jenas, Kranjcar, Lennon, Bentley, Modric, Crouch, Pavlyuchenko, Keane, Defoe.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 08:45

There we go then, top of the group ! Twente were a tidy & good side. We were not at our best I thought but done enought to earn the draw. But the talking point will be the Ref. For the first 15 minutes or so I thought he was going to be a good 'un. Playing the advantage and letting the game flow. Then a brainstorm. I have no complaints with the penalty but why book Jay-narse for getting injured ? Odd to say the least. The 3rd Twente goal was never a free-kick but there we go, sometimes decisions go with you sometimes against. Erratic performance tho'. We can be very proud of our team for topping this group (possibly the 2nd hardest of them) and go into the knock-out stages with our heads held high and no reason to fear anyone (just need to tighten up in defence). The commentator of the game I watched said that we have set a record by becoming the 1st team to score 2 or more goals in all our qualifying matches. Not sure if that's correct but whatever it has to be the most fantastic debut season by any team in this competiton . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 08:58

Tottenham ensured they will avoid Europe's biggest clubs in the last 16 of the Champions League after drawing at FC Twente to finish top of Group A.

Goalkeeper Sander Boschker missed his kick from a back-pass to put Spurs ahead, but Twente equalised through Denny Landzaat's retaken penalty.

Jermain Defoe restored Tottenham's lead with a neat finish before Roberto Rosales headed his side level.

After Defoe tapped in a second, Nacer Chadli's free-kick gave Twente a point.

However, the draw was enough to put Tottenham through to the next round as pool winners because Inter Milan - needing to better Spurs' result to top the group - lost 3-0 to Werder Bremen.

That meant the north London club finished on 11 points; one clear European champions Inter, who join Spurs in the knockout stage as runners-up.

Twente came third with six points, meaning they drop into the Europa League, and Werder were bottom on five points.

Knowing a victory would guarantee his side pole position, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp vowed to go all out for the win and despite making four changes to his starting line-up - perhaps with Sunday's visit of Chelsea in mind - it was still a strong Spurs side that took to the field.

And although the temperatures dropped below freezing before kick-off, the visitors warmed the hearts of their supporters by opening the scoring - albeit in bizarre fashion.

Twente actually made the more promising start and Wout Brama saw a half-volley from 20-yards saved by a diving Heurelho Gomes before the Brazilian goalkeeper reacted well to stop a Luuk de Jong flick from Rosales' dangerous cross.

But the hosts looked on in disbelief as Boschker went to clear captain Wisgerhof's bobbling back pass, only to swing at thin air and watch the ball trickle into his net.

It was a horrid way for the 40-year-old, in his 21st season at the club, to mark his Champions League debut.

Yet the goal came against the run of play and, fortunately for Boschker, Twente were soon level after a stinging volley from Rosales struck the raised elbow of Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Landzaat's initial spot kick was disallowed - the former Wigan midfielder punished for stopping during his run-up - but his unconvincing second effort squirmed home via the legs of Gomes.

While clear-cut chances were few and far between before half-time, Roman Pavlyuchenko had a drive well saved and Defoe's near-post volley sailed narrowly wide as Spurs worked hard to regain their advantage.

And shortly after the restart they had it, Twente failing to clear Gareth Bale's left-wing cross and Aaron Lennon brilliantly teeing up Defoe to slot past Boschker.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:06

REPPED Vis.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:16

Thanx Baz thats me off the Nelson lol. Thought Ekotto was poor tonight, every time he cleared he found a red shirt. Kranky was tidy if not as probing as we know he can be. Corluka done what was asked of him. Jay-narse unlucky as he has looked lively of late. Lennon was more thought than industry and that was pleasing to see. Defoe looks a game or so away from regaining his pre-injury fire. Pavy was quiet but his shot in 1st half was pure class. All told a neat performance from us but 'arry does need to address the clean sheet issue. If we meet a team who can shut us out we will struggle. But in truth I can't be negative as what we have acheived in our 1st go at this competition has exceeded what most observers thought we would. COYS. Roll on the draw for the next round . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:29

well i though corluka was poor. so slow. ekotto why does he lump the ball up feild all the time.

lennon is gettin better. its good defoe has got sum goals.

why leave bale on. he could of given gio 10 mins
    stupid sub pav for keane. should of been defoe for keane.

krankar did well when he moved into the middle.
    mom galas again

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:39

We all know Corluka lacks in pace Lought but his defending was solid. Kranky looked happier in the middle than out right and we looked better when Lennon came on there. Obvious Pavy was going to go off. Contributed very little and Defoe needs the game time & was on a hat-trick. Yup he could have Bale 10 minutes but for Dos Santos ? Would have changed the whole balance of the side. Maybe he would have been better bringing Dos Santos on for Pavy instead of of PSB ? Gallas was fine again but Defoe will get the MOM for his goals . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:43

Is it right we have Man U next?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:44

i thought pav done more then defoe 1st half. hes movment was good. i was worried bale mite get a nock.

i will say thats the worse ref i seen in a while. and they kept cheating. there center forward is a cheat and the guy who tried to get a pen at the end. i just wish our players would have a go when players dive not help them up like gomez did

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:46

baz we have chelsea.

the champions league draw is fri 12 noon.
    we cant get man u chels goons real m barce

the 1 team we want to avoid is valencia

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:47

They topped their group Baz and I don't think we can draw an English club till the quarter finals (but not 100% sure; lol Vs the goners it is then). I still want Chelski in the final. We always beat 'em 2-1 at Wembley . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 00:10