The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
we havent had it - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

we havent had it - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
BazSpur
LOBO
anicoll5
cstmrsking
ionman34
shearspur
10 posters

we havent had it

That Damned Mark
    That Damned Mark
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

we havent had it - Page 2 Empty Re: we havent had it

Post by That Damned Mark Sat Feb 12 2011, 05:43

The funniest thing I heard was that Milton Keynes borough council or whatever were prepared to enter into talks with Spurs about a possible relocation lol!
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Feb 12 2011, 05:52

now your talkin lol

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 07:08

That Damned Mark wrote:The funniest thing I heard was that Milton Keynes borough council or whatever were prepared to enter into talks with Spurs about a possible relocation lol!

Bollox Sparky , do you realy think that us yids are going to leave you goners alone in north London?,we will always be the thorn in the Woolwich Wanderers side!!!

Pride
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Feb 12 2011, 07:42

What spiwit !

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 20:19

ionman34 wrote:
    So where to now then Shear?

The NRP is 'dead in the water' allegedly, meaning that if we stay in Tottenham we will end up a feeder club for the big boys.

Don't know about you but I'm rather p*ssed off that the past seems to be more important to some than the future of the club.

You were quite vocal about what you didn't want, so what do you want? What is your proposal for the future of our club?

Where is the viable alternative?

One that won't bankrupt us that is.

Ion ! i have banged my head up against the wall telling this lot we need to move on to compete with the big boys in the premiership, yes i agree that its a travesty moving from the roots of the club, but even harry has voiced his disappointment (daily mail saturday) to say how can the club progress on 36.000 capacity ? and i say again you cant have parity with the big boys if you only get approx half the gates they get.

Its unsure what the next step is over the olympic site, some big name athletes are saying that west ham have to be tied down to keeping the track, already there are concerns that the spams will really keep the track.

Tottenhams problem was that we were up front from the start, we said we were removing the track, perhaps we should have got the go ahead first (like west ham) and then tackled the problem of the track, as i am sure brady, gold and sullivan intend to do so at some time.....watch this space.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Feb 12 2011, 20:45

Who cares if the goons get North London? Exactly what is it about that toilet that you guys really want to keep?

I've not seen one person on here, or any other site for that matter, that actually has any affection for N17, apart from the fact that Spurs are in it.

It is Spurs that we love, not the area. It is the success of Spurs that we are concerned with, not the prosperity of the area.

If building in the area doesn't hold us back then great, let's stay. But if a move is what it takes to prevent us from going into 'History' alongside the likes of Burnley then get out we must.

Those of you who are only concerned with our History may well be able to keep yourselves warm of past glories, I would prefer to have me and my kids relive them.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Feb 12 2011, 21:54

A football club is not a franchise
    It's geography is an integral part of the identity of the club even in these days of global digital meeja
    I would guess there are plenty of Spuds who actually quite like the club as it is and don't swallow the "we have to be up there with the big boys by spending £450 million " megalomaniac fantasy
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:05

I think there is probably some truth in that statement Nic. Howeveer, we have to be realists as well. We can't sit back on our Laurels and wait for success to find us. We have to go and get it. I can see the reasoning behind moving into a bigger Stadium and had we moved to Stratford I would have accepted that was the way it had to be and I am quite sure once the money started to roll in we would have said it's the best thing we ever did. My beef with Levy is he wasn't quite up front and told what I believe to be untruths about what the club was going to do. He now says he will go back to Harringey and try to reach a solution on NPD after telling us it was dead in the water. If you want the supporters on your side I believe you have to be truthful all the way along. Apparently he wasn't. You get to the point where you wonder if anything coming out of WHL about the stadium is the truth. Whatever he decides to do now at least keep us up to speed. Look across the net on the forums and the main gripe seems to be he bullshitted us on certain issues to do with the new stadium. Transparency is the key to better relations with the supporters.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:09

anicoll5 wrote:A football club is not a franchise
    It's geography is an integral part of the identity of the club even in these days of global digital meeja
    I would guess there are plenty of Spuds who actually quite like the club as it is and don't swallow the "we have to be up there with the big boys by spending £450 million " megalomaniac fantasy

Says a gooner whose clubs massive spending on a new stadium has actually counted against them and blunted their transfer budget in recent years in the knowledge that in time it will pay big dividends.

Nic ! i can read you like a book mate, like man utd fans that hate what is happening at man city because its threatening, likewise what harry has done for spurs and what the moving of the club to a bigger stadium might mean to arsenal..........?

You bet your bottom dollar you would like spurs to stay at 36,000 whl.......... lol!

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:17

BazSpur wrote:I think there is probably some truth in that statement Nic. Howeveer, we have to be realists as well. We can't sit back on our Laurels and wait for success to find us. We have to go and get it. I can see the reasoning behind moving into a bigger Stadium and had we moved to Stratford I would have accepted that was the way it had to be and I am quite sure once the money started to roll in we would have said it's the best thing we ever did. My beef with Levy is he wasn't quite up front and told what I believe to be untruths about what the club was going to do. He now says he will go back to Harringey and try to reach a solution on NPD after telling us it was dead in the water. If you want the supporters on your side I believe you have to be truthful all the way along. Apparently he wasn't. You get to the point where you wonder if anything coming out of WHL about the stadium is the truth. Whatever he decides to do now at least keep us up to speed. Look across the net on the forums and the main gripe seems to be he bullshitted us on certain issues to do with the new stadium. Transparency is the key to better relations with the supporters.

With all due respect baz you have to remember that moving to the os was financially better for the club than the npd project, if the npd goes ahead we could end up with no transfer budget to speak of for years.

Levy was trying, in my opinion what was the best option for the club, and was up front by saying he would take out the track and rebuild, and that was a mistake because west ham have said all the right things and only time will tell if it remains a dual football / athletics stadium.

I read in the mail today that the nearest seat to the field of play was 45 metres, i cant see even the thickest of west ham fans putting up with that.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:30

anicoll5 wrote:A football club is not a franchise

Sell that to those willing to buy it.

I wonder was that attitude prevalent when the goons decided to ship out of Woolwich to pursue the 'revenue' that North London offered at the time.

Does this make you the oldest franchise in Football?

Megalomania rife in the early 20th Century huh?
    That Damned Mark
    That Damned Mark
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by That Damned Mark Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:35

lewspurs wrote:...what harry has done for spurs and what the moving of the club to a bigger stadium might mean to arsenal..........?

You bet your bottom dollar you would like spurs to stay at 36,000 whl.......... lol!

Quite. Staying put would put you in massive debt that will take many many years to overcome, and the ability to compete in the transfer market during this 'transitional period' lol will be greatly affected.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:40

Read me like a book eh Lew

Ok - well turn to the chapter that is headed "why spending £450 million on a new stadium is unlkely to guarantee anything"

I understand Levy writes as well, largely fiction
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:44

Tell it to the Baltimore Colts fans Ion, Brooklyn Dodgers etc megalomania indeed

Maybe AFC Wimbledon fans could give you a tip or two on the franchise approach of owners

Nice big underused stadium in Dublin
    That Damned Mark
    That Damned Mark
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by That Damned Mark Sat Feb 12 2011, 22:45

ionman34 wrote:

I wonder was that attitude prevalent when the goons decided to ship out of Woolwich to pursue the 'revenue' that North London offered at the time.

Megalomania rife in the early 20th Century huh?[/b][/i][/color]

I was wondering when that old chestnut would come out.
    Do leave off ion, different times, different era... even TV hadn't been invented (not even black & white lol! )
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Feb 12 2011, 23:06

That Damned Mark wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Megalomania rife in the early 20th Century huh?[/b][/i][/color]

I was wondering when that old chestnut would come out.
    Do leave off ion, different times, different era... even TV hadn't been invented (not even black & white lol! )

Different times, different era, same story.

You were chasing revenue so that you couls compete at the highest level. At that time it was due to payments through th turnstiles. Nowadays that is just a part of the story.

You want to point at Wimbledon, I'll point at you. No difference.

No matter how you want to spin it during your fishing trip.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 23:20

That Damned Mark wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:...what harry has done for spurs and what the moving of the club to a bigger stadium might mean to arsenal..........?

Quite. Staying put would put you in massive debt that will take many many years to overcome, and the ability to compete in the transfer market during this 'transitional period' lol will be greatly affected.

Fine bit of reasoning , even in jest.....like a bucket full of dogs turds....... lol!

Listen mark you and nic are coming from the same soap box, the moving of spurs to a larger stadium represents a threat, the way man utd hate the threat of man city.

Thats the root of all your posts, taking the side of the tottenham fans opposed to moving from north london.

The real argument is ! and i would imagine all spurs fans want this, parity with the big prem clubs , spending wise, to break up what for years has been an exclusive prem for the likes of man utd ,chelsea, a*se and liverpool, coining the fruits of the cl, season in season out, and to do all this you need more than 36,000 per home game, the ideal is to stay near the roots of the club, but to me it isnt imperative, and staying puts us in that little niche of (nice little prem club) but no ambition.

And thats the way you goons would like it to stay....ffs most seasons it hasnt even been serious competitive derbies between tottenham and a*se, only harry has made the difference in that respect.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Feb 13 2011, 01:17

With all due respect baz you have to remember that moving to the os was
    financially better for the club than the npd project, if the npd goes
    ahead we could end up with no transfer budget to speak of for years.

Levy
    was trying, in my opinion what was the best option for the club, and
    was up front by saying he would take out the track and rebuild, and that
    was a mistake because west ham have said all the right things and only
    time will tell if it remains a dual football / athletics stadium.

I
    read in the mail today that the nearest seat to the field of play was
    45 metres, i cant see even the thickest of west ham fans putting up
    with that.

That's all well and good Lew but if I remember rightly at the beginning Levy also said we could go ahead with the NPD and it wouldn't cut into the transfer budget. Yet once again he has now changed his mind and said it will. Transparency Lew, it's all we ask.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sun Feb 13 2011, 08:25

Lew if you reckon that Spuds borrowing £450 million to build a stadium is the same as Al mansour and his bottomless purse taking over Eastlands you are out of your mind

Wake up - Levy is taking a huge gamble with no guarantees - just like the Pied Piper

And just like the children of Hamelin the faithful have been seduced by the music of future fantasy

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13 2011, 21:54

anicoll5 wrote:Lew if you reckon that Spuds borrowing £450 million to build a stadium is the same as Al mansour and his bottomless purse taking over Eastlands you are out of your mind

Wake up - Levy is taking a huge gamble with no guarantees - just like the Pied Piper

And just like the children of Hamelin the faithful have been seduced by the music of future fantasy

Yeah i would be out of my mind if i believed that little pearl, and i feel you are out of yours believing that i am coming from that direction.

Read again nic that what i am saying is that man utd fans dont like their little comfort zone disrupted by what is happening to the blue half of manchester, to equate the same with spurs and arsenal is nothing to do with a bottomless pit, i am saying you goons would love us to stay at 36,000 capacity whl, while you earn double the gate money per home game as we do at whl.

Its not hard to work out nic ! the power shift has been in favour of arsenal for so long now, for spurs to move to a larger capacity stadium would represent a threat to you goons, in the transfer market, cl qualification, bartering for the better players etc etc .

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sun Feb 13 2011, 22:32

Lew Spuds spend far more in the transfer market than Arsenal anyway and the proposition that having been saddled with a £450 million debt for this new stadium that you would even be able to match your current level of spending is, to my mind at least, highly dubious.

You are fixing on this fantasy that having a new stadium will get Spuds "up with the big boys" as though at the moment Arry is presiding over some Blue Square North corner shop in a suburb of Ipswich.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Feb 13 2011, 22:53

So what was the reasoning behind the goons new stadium Nic, if not to put them up there challenging 'with the big boys?'
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sun Feb 13 2011, 23:03

To increase the value of the club for the owners by maximising the revenues Ion - and fortunately because it was a project that fell into sync with the economic cycle it worked handsomely

What other possible reason could there be ?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14 2011, 00:44

Well you have answered it nic ! to maximise the incoming revenue to increase the value of the club, isnt that exactly the same as what i have been saying ?

Wont the increased revenue also help the transfer budget and raise the wages ceiling to enable you to buy the best in the world ? because what you are hinting at is that the increased value of the club will directly benefit the owners, and yes of course it will but also it gives you status in the buying and selling of top flight footballers.

Of course its a gamble moving, especially since the cost of doing so is horrendous, but staying at whl in its present form wont take the club forward.

Answer me one question, why are you so against spurs moving to a bigger stadium ? because as far as i am concerned you are trying to put forward an argument for the minus factor of spurs moving and not taking into account the plus,s, the plus,s that you goons will eventually benefit from when the emirates is completely paid for, and thats another subject, how much do you owe on that place, some reports suggest you have completely paid for it but others say you are still paying for it ? what story is true ?
    That Damned Mark
    That Damned Mark
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by That Damned Mark Mon Feb 14 2011, 01:07

"You bet your bottom dollar you would like spurs to stay at 36,000 whl.........."

I'm not sure why you think i'm joking?

ionman: "You were chasing revenue so that you could compete at the highest level. At that time it was due to payments through the turnstiles. Nowadays that is just a part of the story."

There's clearly no dispute over it. Plumstead was a mare to get to, also the munitions factory work had been shifted north (scotland from memory?). It was a no brainer as business decisions go.

From a goon pov we'll just deride whatever happens. The truth amongst adult football fans is that Spurs have to find a way to increase revenue to continue to compete at the top level, - whether thats NPD or a move is neither here not there.
    One thing though, regular improved attendances up to around 50,000 isn't a guarantee of success, - just ask Newcastle and Sunderland.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 20:55