The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Defoe - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Defoe - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Defoe - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Defoe - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
LOBO
6 posters

Defoe

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Defoe - Page 2 Empty Re: Defoe

Post by BazSpur Sat Feb 26 2011, 07:09

HotspurRoper wrote:Really sorry for the use of the language Baz, my blood boils at times!!!

I know Ropes don't sweat it fella, it happens.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sat Feb 26 2011, 19:58

Lought why would you want to not count the goals against Wigan and Leeds they hit the back of the net, they count mate. It just gets to me how you want every other striker in the Prem and some Championship players (no names lol) rather then getting behind our miss firing strikers. 1st it was Crouch but now you have a new target in Defoe! How long before Pav starts getting it?
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Feb 26 2011, 21:55

HotspurRoper wrote:Lought why would you want to not count the goals against Wigan and Leeds they hit the back of the net, they count mate. It just gets to me how you want every other striker in the Prem and some Championship players (no names lol) rather then getting behind our miss firing strikers. 1st it was Crouch but now you have a new target in Defoe! How long before Pav starts getting it?

Ropes, i dont think Lought gets the business side of football, we have spent millions of pounds in the past and got nowhere and with Harrys shrewd buys and Levys business sense, we are in a healthy position and are still 4th with some key players injured , Bale being one of them. If you buy anything in life, you dont just pay the price they are asking, you try to get the best price you can, unless you have a benefactor like Citeh, now that didnt stop us from taking 4th from them last season, so its not a case of being slow, you dont pay the full asking price,so Lought, just for you this is how i see the transfers going

Suarez, box seat, Pool sell Torres and have the money to come in pay more then us

Carroll, put in what i thought was too much and Pool paid well over the odds

Djeko, was never gonna pay that kind of money

Then theres the wages, we dont pay that kind of stupid money and its clubs like us that ultimately will save football

Now you better get used to it, because when the new laws come in a lot of clubs will struggle and transfers will change

If you want to be a glory hunter, go support someone like Citeh who will through money at it hoping that it will work, yes it did work for Chelski, but look at them now and Citeh have spent a fortune and still couldnt finish above us.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 02:23

well i thouhgt getting into the top 4 would allow us to spend big on the striker we need.

we have money. we have loads and we have players that will go if levy wasnt holding out for to much.

defoe scored 5 and 3 aganst wigan and leeds but take them out then hes recored is poor.

even wolves scored aganst blackpool lol

is defoe the only striker not to score this season

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 02:28

Hernandez has got 8 goals from 12 shots lol

i wonder how many shots defoe has from 16 games.

he had 5 aganst blackpool

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 03:34

9 goals now and he hardly starts. 9 from 13 shots
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sun Feb 27 2011, 03:40

Loughtonlegend wrote:Hernandez has got 8 goals from 12 shots lol

i wonder how many shots defoe has from 16 games.

he had 5 aganst blackpool

how many of them set up on plate for him?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27 2011, 04:15

omg so defoe dont have any set up for him or crouch.

like you said they are stil prem goals.

it dont matter if a player cant hold the ball up aslong as he scores,

how many spurs fans would drop lineker or clive allen if he was playing now as all he was is a goal hanger.

swap 1 of them for defoe and we be on top of the league now
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sun Feb 27 2011, 20:23

Loughtonlegend wrote:omg so defoe dont have any set up for him or crouch.

like you said they are stil prem goals.

it dont matter if a player cant hold the ball up aslong as he scores,

how many spurs fans would drop lineker or clive allen if he was playing now as all he was is a goal hanger.

swap 1 of them for defoe and we be on top of the league now

Lought, its not as if we dont know our strikers arent scoring, but we need to get behind them
    and Defoe did not become a bad striker over night, the same as Pav is normally so clinical
    but did miss three easy chances against Blackpool and lets face it, if they played another
    3 seasons they would not get the luck they got against us in the that one game.
    Crouch ,whilst not a 20 a season man, will score important goals and gives us plan b. You have to take into account the personel we have missing, Defoe feeds of not only Hudds through balls, but also the 40 yarders along the side and over the top, its no wonder our strikers are not scoring without that kind of service.
    They showed the stats yesterday on Arsenals win rate with and without Fabregas and its amazing how
    much difference he makes, the same when you take Hudds vision and passing ability out of our team,
    couple that with not ever having the same back 4 for more then 2 games all season, its incredible
    we are where we are, you say the other teams are weaker, just look at their squads, try to look at
    it as we have got better and stop being such a moaner!!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28 2011, 07:38

Loughtonlegend wrote:well i thouhgt getting into the top 4 would allow us to spend big on the striker we need.

we have money. we have loads and we have players that will go if levy wasnt holding out for to much.

defoe scored 5 and 3 aganst wigan and leeds but take them out then hes recored is poor.

Don't forget Pavy scored against Blackpool Lought ! Blackpool was a blip mate. Name me a striker who could have come in during January and done the business for us, not anyone else; just Spurs ? It's all well & good quoting up to date scorers & results but WE have to see the season out with what we have & we have to find someone who can do it week in week out & game after game and hopefully that will happen in the Summer. We sit in 4th place with a few games to go yet and 1 foot in the quarter finals of the C/L . . . . .. .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Feb 28 2011, 09:43

VisionarySound wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:well i thouhgt getting into the top 4 would allow us to spend big on the striker we need.

Don't forget Pavy scored against Blackpool Lought ! Blackpool was a blip mate. Name me a striker who could have come in during January and done the business for us, not anyone else; just Spurs ? It's all well & good quoting up to date scorers & results but WE have to see the season out with what we have & we have to find someone who can do it week in week out & game after game and hopefully that will happen in the Summer. We sit in 4th place with a few games to go yet and 1 foot in the quarter finals of the C/L . . . . .. .

Yes Vis, but we should be 10 points clear at the top, not expected Wenger to put out his first team in the Carling Cup and not giftwrapped Fulham the FA Cup tie and invented a cure for all know diseases!!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28 2011, 11:36

im confident the strikers i wanted would of settled at spurs quickly.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Feb 28 2011, 19:09

Loughtonlegend wrote:im confident the strikers i wanted would of settled at spurs quickly.

yep Suarez for 23 million set up a goal in a 3-1 loss and Andy Carroll waved to the crowd.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28 2011, 19:44

djfitzo wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:im confident the strikers i wanted would of settled at spurs quickly.

yep Suarez for 23 million set up a goal in a 3-1 loss and Andy Carroll waved to the crowd.

lol!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Feb 28 2011, 20:12

[quote="djfitzo"]

LOL, very good DJ, but I think you're being a little harsh on Lought here, probably because I agree with him on the strikers though. lol!

I think Suarez would have been mustard for us. We have a far better set up, attacking wise, than the Scouse do. Also Carroll would be eating the quality crossing, that Bale and Lennon provide, like a banquet.

The Scouse are buying leaches. They wait on us to identify a likely target then gazzump. Their trouble is that they don't have the creativity, or the quality, to use those buys to their maximum potential. You can only rely on Gerrard so much for your supply to the forwards and they have no width worth mentioning.

If anyone says Johnson I'll slap the taste outta their mouth!

With Spurs they'd look like 50 million worth of striker, with Pool they don't.

Mind you, we have 40 million of striker that currently looks 2 bob so what do I know?

But Suarez looks sharp & clever whilst Carroll reminds me of the big, bustling, powerful forwards of old, with ability to complement.

A bit like Chivers used to be, good in the air & on the ground and able to put himself about when necessary.

I'd have paid 40 mill for the two but 58 mill I think was ridiculous, but only because Carroll was 35 mill. I don't think 23 mill for Suarez will prove to be too far off the mark.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28 2011, 20:24

Also Carroll would be eating the quality crossing, that Bale and Lennon provide, like a banquet.

Ion' the only thing Carrol is eating at the mo is Big Macs ! £35M for an injured player ? Into March and the lad still hasn't kicked a ball for the Mickey Mousers. Imagine Spurs fans about this should 'arry & Levy have bought him ? Suarez I agree with, he has something to offer but again we were outbid. He started back in the Summer at £13M and ended up at £23M . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Feb 28 2011, 20:49

VisionarySound wrote:Also Carroll would be eating the quality crossing, that Bale and Lennon provide, like a banquet.

Ion' the only thing Carrol is eating at the mo is Big Macs ! £35M for an injured player ? Into March and the lad still hasn't kicked a ball for the Mickey Mousers. Imagine Spurs fans about this should 'arry & Levy have bought him ? Suarez I agree with, he has something to offer but again we were outbid. He started back in the Summer at £13M and ended up at £23M . . . . .

You misunderstand me Vis, I'm not suggesting we should have bought him as 35 million, whether he was fit or not, was too much by almost 20 million IMO. All I'm saying is that he would have scored for fun with us.

It's all speculation as the Scouse pounced and paid over the odds in their panic to gain back a top 4 spot. As I see it they've gambled all in an effort to get to CL and these 2 strikers won't do it because the rest of the team, Gerrard aside, is bobbins.

What took us years to build the Scouse are trying to do in a couple of seasons, and they're throwing silly money at the wrong areas.

All they've done is stall us for a while. Eventually we'll get the right strikers and we'll challenge.

Who knows, give them a season or so and we might pry those two away for a fraction of what the Scouse paid.

We have a history of mugging those clowns off.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Feb 28 2011, 21:18

[quote="ionman34"]
    djfitzo wrote:

LOL, very good DJ, but I think you're being a little harsh on Lought here, probably because I agree with him on the strikers though. lol!

I think Suarez would have been mustard for us. We have a far better set up, attacking wise, than the Scouse do. Also Carroll would be eating the quality crossing, that Bale and Lennon provide, like a banquet.

The Scouse are buying leaches. They wait on us to identify a likely target then gazzump. Their trouble is that they don't have the creativity, or the quality, to use those buys to their maximum potential. You can only rely on Gerrard so much for your supply to the forwards and they have no width worth mentioning.

Mind you, we have 40 million of striker that currently looks 2 bob so what do I know?

But Suarez looks sharp & clever whilst Carroll reminds me of the big, bustling, powerful forwards of old, with ability to complement.

A bit like Chivers used to be, good in the air & on the ground and able to put himself about when necessary.

I'd have paid 40 mill for the two but 58 mill I think was ridiculous, but only because Carroll was 35 mill. I don't think 23 mill for Suarez will prove to be too far off the mark.

Harsh maybe Ion, but facts are facts and no matter how many posts Lought makes, nothing will change. Personally i would not have sold Bale or Modric to finance a deal for Suarez or Carroll and thats what Pool did by selling Torres, who on his day is the best striker in the Prem. Same as going on about ex players, which is just what they are. You like me, have witnessed the 6-1 home drubbings by Chelsea in the past and im over the moon with where we are now. Our current strike force would have scored more with the contribution of Hudd, because he really does put the ball on a plate for them, then we have had Bale missing for 4 games and not a settled back 4 all season and we still have a great chance of 3rd and Lought is still not happy.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Feb 28 2011, 22:21

[quote="djfitzo"][quote="ionman34"]
    djfitzo wrote:

Harsh maybe Ion, but facts are facts and no matter how many posts Lought makes, nothing will change. Personally i would not have sold Bale or Modric to finance a deal for Suarez or Carroll and thats what Pool did by selling Torres, who on his day is the best striker in the Prem. Same as going on about ex players, which is just what they are. You like me, have witnessed the 6-1 home drubbings by Chelsea in the past and im over the moon with where we are now. Our current strike force would have scored more with the contribution of Hudd, because he really does put the ball on a plate for them, then we have had Bale missing for 4 games and not a settled back 4 all season and we still have a great chance of 3rd and Lought is still not happy.

I know mate, but I don't want to get into a 'Lought bashing' session here. I'm more than happy with the way the club has conducted its business on all fronts. I believe they have been sensible in their transfer dealings and found the right players at the right prices.

I think we missed a trick with Suarez but I'm prepared to trust in the judgement of our management team, they've rarely let us down over the last few years and have managed to amass player assets worth a few hundred million for a relatively small outlay.

Others do like to make issue about out outlay, banging on about how much we've spent. But when you consider the value of our playing staff then you have to say our spending has been negligible really.

Our progression has been steady to date, I'm prepared to wait a little longer while they get the striker department sorted in the right way .......

Not the Scouse way.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Feb 28 2011, 23:54

Defoe - Page 2 25429 Defoe - Page 2 348204 Defoe - Page 2 348204 Defoe - Page 2 348204 Defoe - Page 2 348204 Defoe - Page 2 348204
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 01 2011, 00:07

[quote="ionman34"][quote="djfitzo"]
    ionman34 wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:

Sorry Ion, if it sounding like Loughtbashing, I apologise, I like him TBH and he obviously wants us to do well,
    I just cant take his negativity at times.

I know mate, but I don't want to get into a 'Lought bashing' session here. I'm more than happy with the way the club has conducted its business on all fronts. I believe they have been sensible in their transfer dealings and found the right players at the right prices.

I think we missed a trick with Suarez but I'm prepared to trust in the judgement of our management team, they've rarely let us down over the last few years and have managed to amass player assets worth a few hundred million for a relatively small outlay.

Others do like to make issue about out outlay, banging on about how much we've spent. But when you consider the value of our playing staff then you have to say our spending has been negligible really.

Our progression has been steady to date, I'm prepared to wait a little longer while they get the striker department sorted in the right way .......

Not the Scouse way.

Sorry Ion, if it sounding like Loughtbashing, I apologise, I like him TBH and he obviously wants us to do well,
    I just cant take his negativity at times.

We have been caught too many times (Bent and Bentley springs to mind) and Levy just wont wear it anymore, I think he has a price
    in his head and thats it, maybe time will tell if we should have got into a bidding war with Pool and its no good saying we could have got him earlier, its nigh on impossible to negotiate without anyone finding out and as soon as Suarezs people knew Pool was getting 50 mill for Torres, you can bet your life he was touted to them, Lought and lobo just seems to think that we didnt try to get these players at any cost, which in the past has proved to be pure folly.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 02:11

hudd and bale was fit for the run in last season and also the start of this season and defoe still not scored.

bale only been out since the end of december.

hudd we have missed loads but we stil have lennon bale modric krankar jenas. better then a lot of teams in the prem.

other teams dont have players as good as ours and they still scoring.

and like ion says a good striker would score so many with the crosses we put in the box

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 02:38

Demba Ba has played 3 games for West Ham now and has 3 goals. If a striker who hasnt played in the prem league before can score 3 times for the worst team in the league then whats Defoes problem?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 06:06

defoe has picked up an injury in training. harry not sayin how long he is out for.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Mar 01 2011, 07:51

Loughtonlegend wrote:defoe has picked up an injury in training. harry not sayin how long he is out for.

Definitely out of the Wolves game and who knows how many more.......
    So its Pav or Crouch upfront with VDV for the forseeable...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content