The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Defoe - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Defoe - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Defoe - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Defoe - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
LOBO
6 posters

Defoe

Defoe - Page 3 Empty Re: Defoe

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:14

Jermain Defoe will return to training on the squad's return home this week after undergoing x-rays on his foot following his participation in today's (Monday, February 28) session.

The x-rays were clear and the striker is expected to rest tomorrow as a precaution to allow any possible soft tissue irritation to settle.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Defoe - Page 3 Empty Re: Defoe

Post by ionman34 Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:25

[quote="djfitzo"][quote="ionman34"]
    djfitzo wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:im confident the strikers i wanted would of settled at spurs quickly.

yep Suarez for 23 million set up a goal in a 3-1 loss and Andy Carroll waved to the crowd.

LOL, very good DJ, but I think you're being a little harsh on Lought here, probably because I agree with him on the strikers though. lol!

I think Suarez would have been mustard for us. We have a far better set up, attacking wise, than the Scouse do. Also Carroll would be eating the quality crossing, that Bale and Lennon provide, like a banquet.

The Scouse are buying leaches. They wait on us to identify a likely target then gazzump. Their trouble is that they don't have the creativity, or the quality, to use those buys to their maximum potential. You can only rely on Gerrard so much for your supply to the forwards and they have no width worth mentioning.

If anyone says Johnson I'll slap the taste outta their mouth!

With Spurs they'd look like 50 million worth of striker, with Pool they don't.

Mind you, we have 40 million of striker that currently looks 2 bob so what do I know?

But Suarez looks sharp & clever whilst Carroll reminds me of the big, bustling, powerful forwards of old, with ability to complement.

A bit like Chivers used to be, good in the air & on the ground and able to put himself about when necessary.

I'd have paid 40 mill for the two but 58 mill I think was ridiculous, but only because Carroll was 35 mill. I don't think 23 mill for Suarez will prove to be too far off the mark.

Harsh maybe Ion, but facts are facts and no matter how many posts Lought makes, nothing will change. Personally i would not have sold Bale or Modric to finance a deal for Suarez or Carroll and thats what Pool did by selling Torres, who on his day is the best striker in the Prem. Same as going on about ex players, which is just what they are. You like me, have witnessed the 6-1 home drubbings by Chelsea in the past and im over the moon with where we are now. Our current strike force would have scored more with the contribution of Hudd, because he really does put the ball on a plate for them, then we have had Bale missing for 4 games and not a settled back 4 all season and we still have a great chance of 3rd and Lought is still not happy.

I know mate, but I don't want to get into a 'Lought bashing' session here. I'm more than happy with the way the club has conducted its business on all fronts. I believe they have been sensible in their transfer dealings and found the right players at the right prices.

I think we missed a trick with Suarez but I'm prepared to trust in the judgement of our management team, they've rarely let us down over the last few years and have managed to amass player assets worth a few hundred million for a relatively small outlay.

Others do like to make issue about out outlay, banging on about how much we've spent. But when you consider the value of our playing staff then you have to say our spending has been negligible really.

Our progression has been steady to date, I'm prepared to wait a little longer while they get the striker department sorted in the right way .......

Not the Scouse way.

Sorry Ion, if it sounding like Loughtbashing, I apologise, I like him TBH and he obviously wants us to do well,
    I just cant take his negativity at times.

You have nothing to apologise for DJ. I wasn't suggesting that you were 'Lought bashing', just that I didn't want our discussion to go down that road. I too like Lought but I know exactly where you are coming from, I've 'had words' with him on a few occasions myself. Most of the board have had occasion in fact!

We have been caught too many times (Bent and Bentley springs to mind) and Levy just wont wear it anymore, I think he has a price
    in his head and thats it, maybe time will tell if we should have got into a bidding war with Pool and its no good saying we could have got him earlier, its nigh on impossible to negotiate without anyone finding out and as soon as Suarezs people knew Pool was getting 50 mill for Torres, you can bet your life he was touted to them, Lought and lobo just seems to think that we didnt try to get these players at any cost, which in the past has proved to be pure folly.

True, which is why I say I'll trust in the judgement of our management staff. Most clubs know, nowadays, that if more than one club is interested in one of their players, they can instigate a bidding war to drive the price up. With so much at stake in the Prem, they're aware that certain clubs will pay well over the odds to land any player they think will 'make the difference'.

Happily Spurs haven't fallen into that trap and, as long as Levy is in charge, it seems that they won't.

What it does mean, though, is that we need to be more patient whilst they identify and land a player, without the Scouse getting wind and trying to gazzump the deal, or anyone else for that matter.