The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
SuneJim
djfitzo
cstmrsking
LOBO
8 posters

Crying out for Crouch

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 Empty Re: Crying out for Crouch

Post by BazSpur Tue Mar 22 2011, 08:57

I am happy with the way we play at times Lought but I am not happy at the way we always seem to struggle against lower opposition clubs but hey sh*t happens. I would rather be where we are now than where we were when Arry took over. I mean come on mate we were in dire straights. We were definately heading for relegation.You have to hand it to Arry he has done good by us. As for Defoe, like I say he is not a prolific striker but I believe given a chance he will start to score again. All I am saying is he needs help up front from someone who can bang the goals in regularly. If you look at most 2 striker partnerships a lot of the time there is one who doesn't score as many goals as the other but they work well together. Greaves and Gilzean was such a partnership. Chivers and Gilzean. Drogba and Anelka etc, etc. We need to buy a good striker we all know that.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:10

so he has not had a chance. please go look at defoe in the prem 2010. hardly a goal scored. so far this season. hes gettin chances but dont have the ability to score.

how can you say we would of got relegated for certan because we had 2 points from 8 games lol

we wernt going down. theres been loads teams that have been in worse postion at xmas and got out of it easy.

we wernt even at xmas when harry took over. i think it was october.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:12

I'm quite surprised at the response to Lobo here, I thought his comments were quite constructive actually.

As for Suarez, I too think he'd be scoring shitloads for us with the service we provide. But I also agree with DJ, we were hijacked by 'Pool. I find it quite naive of anyone who would believe that it was Spurs who made the negotiations go on and on. 'Pool paid 23 million for a player that was touted to us for 16/17 million. Do you honestly believe that they'd have paid that much more if we'd been holding out for a bargain 12-15 million? They'd have just paid the asking price FFS.
    Ajax, and Suarez' Agent, strung the negotiations out, it's pretty obvious to anyone with eyes to see and a brain to think, allowing Liverpool to gazzump us by paying well over the odds. Can't blame them really, it's exactly the kind of action we'd hope our own club would carry out when selling off a prize asset.

I don't know whether we were given the option to bid again, but obviously we didn't. It remains to be seen whether that was a mistake or not.

As for Carroll, yes I believe he'd have scored many for us. But 35 million for a player who hasn't had a full season in the Prem yet is highway robbery. Need I remind you guys of other players who had similar first season impacts? Kevin Phillips anyone? Kenwyne Jones?

Yes, I'd have loved to see these two at Spurs, but for 58 million? Not a chance! As for reducing the layout by selling 'dead wood', just who could we have sold to make up that money? More to the point, if this 'dead wood' could have been sold then why wasn't it?

Possibly because no offers were made? Do you guys think we go round, cap in hand, to other clubs saying, 'please buy our surplus players and pay enough so that we can cover extortionate prices for players we want.'? We'd never have covered the cost for Suarez, let alone him AND Carroll.

I've already lived through this club being on the brink of bankruptcy once, I don't fancy going through it again. Let Liverfool go under because huge outlay on 2 strikers isn't suddenly going to make the rest of their average and ageing team sudden World beaters.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:35

well i belive that harry didnt want him or we could of got him.

i rekon he wanted carrol or forlan.

didnt we turn down 8/9 for pav.

im sure we would of got 2/3 mil for ohara
    jenas would of got us a few million.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:53

I've already lived through this club being
    on the brink of bankruptcy once, I don't fancy going through it again.
    Let Liverfool go under because huge outlay on 2 strikers isn't suddenly
    going to make the rest of their average and ageing team sudden World
    beaters.

As we can patently see already.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22 2011, 10:08

we should have loads of money after getting to4 4 last season then gettin in group stages of champions league then getting to the nockout stages
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Mar 22 2011, 11:10

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]well i belive that harry didnt want him or we could of got him.

It's a possibility. But if Harry didn't want him then the negotiations would have ended early and we'd not be having this conversation. Levy would have said 'Want him?', Harry would have said 'No' and that would be that. For all we know that is what did happen and the 'meeja' carried on the speculation that we were negotiating.

We don't know, we won't know and I'm happy to trust his judgement.

i rekon he wanted carrol or forlan.

Carroll yes I agree, Forlan I think so too, but on the cheap. If he wanted a striker beyond his prime he could have got Raul and more goals than Forlan would offer.

didnt we turn down 8/9 for pav.

Don't know. What relevance is this anyway? Are you suggesting that Pav is 'Dead wood?'

im sure we would of got 2/3 mil for ohara
    jenas would of got us a few million.

Maybe 6-8 million for Jenas. Added to O'Hara gives us 8-11 million. Like I said, doesn't even cover us for Suarez, possibly his right leg hey? We may well have gotten 30 mill plus for CL qualification but that still leaves us around 20 million short just on the transfer fees for these two. We'd probably have covered this by selling Defoe and Pav but, and this is the rub, where were the offers for these two?

Now Liverpool wanted both strikers. Had we bettered their bid do you think they'd have gone away? They had 50 million burning a hole in their pocket and could have added another what, 15 million? 20 million? To beat that we'd then have to shell out over 80 million for 2 players, both without any proven track record in the Prem or International Football.

Are you starting to see the picture now Lought? Harry would have had to beggar the club to land them, then pay wages to suit on top!

Hey Leeds, keep our place warm 'cos we'll be joining you in the paupers league in due course![/
    quote]

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22 2011, 13:46

SuneJim wrote:It does annoy me DJ it's why i've not been on here to often,,,,,,,,, we've made such great strides in the right direction from what i've seen in the last 20 years that it breaks my heart to see people whinging about the slightest setback or unwanted result.

Yes our last 3 results have been disappointing in the league. But i'd be more fed up if we weren't making any chances or not playing good football. But we are so the wins will follow.

Everyone has a right to an opinion as i always say,,, but some don't even seen like the reactions of Spurs Supporters, Spurs Fans yes, but little or no bloody support that's for sure.

I still think our squad is better than Citeh's & they will implode leaving us 4th & that will do for me this season & if we could pull off a win against Real what an added bonus. But from what i read on here you'd think we where still in the dark days of not being safe till a few weeks before the season ends & getting dumped out of cups by the likes of Grimsby, no Europa League that alone the GREAT CL Adventure we're having at the moment.

I consider it an extreme honour to be witnessing what i'm seeing at the moment & i know we can only get better so give the Team, Harry, Us & Yourselves a break & enjoy what's happening at our Fantastic Club!!!

I,m happy jim, its the others...... lol!
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Mar 22 2011, 22:56

SuneJim wrote:Suarez,,, looks like a decent player but he's not worth the money paid for him, give him a season of getting clattered & we'll see what they've brought. He's not going to be a top prem striker & we're only looking at him because Defoe & Pavlyuchenko haven't exactly been prolific this season.

That could be the case but we really don't know, im going on what i see not what might happen , i was right about sandro when most Spurs fans were slagging him off , we will never really know what was or could have been , but i see a world class striker , i saw it in the world cup that he had everything , ok your right about the price tag , but who nowadays is really worth there price pig
    YID4LIFE
    Conference League
    Conference League

Post by YID4LIFE Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:24

Surely Harry has got to gift Crouchy a start in the next match,hes not my favourite player but he seems to click with VDV.
    JD has had enough chances to win us games lately, he needs a kick up the back side,look at how many points we have lost due to bad finishing - this could cost us 4th place this year.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:33

i was right about sandro when most Spurs fans were slagging him off

We agree on something Lobo, Sandro had to be introduced gradually as he had just played a full season in Brazil and I for one, did not give him any stick as he was kind of thrown in at the deep end on in a couple of matches. Shame we couldnt do the same with Pav at the begining as he had just done a full seaon in Russia, but because Kean and Berbatoss dropped us in it and Pav had to play totally exhausted, mind you, his had enough rest now!!

YID4LIFE
    Conference League
    Conference League

Post by YID4LIFE Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:36

So whats your take on Pav then DJ - i personally dont rate him, but i do give it some super super pav
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:48

YID4LIFE wrote:So whats your take on Pav then DJ - i personally dont rate him, but i do give it some super super pav

I think he is our best finisher at the club and would like to see him and Defoe start more games together, last season he had a run of games and scored something like 7 goals and then just mysteriously stopped scoring. Vdv does cause a selection problem and I think he has a bearing on what strikers Harry picks, I would go as follows

Away games and CL Crouch and VDV

Home games

Gomes

Corluka Dawson Gallas Bale

Lennon Sandro Vdv Modric

Defoe Pav

I just think Vdv, when fit is a player we should make room for.

YID4LIFE
    Conference League
    Conference League

Post by YID4LIFE Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:51

bit of a suprise for you to have Bale left back?
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Mar 23 2011, 00:51

Its the only way I can get Bale and Modric in the same team and now and again Benny does a great impression of rip van winkle!!

YID4LIFE
    Conference League
    Conference League

Post by YID4LIFE Wed Mar 23 2011, 00:54

lol Viz - yeah i know what you mean, one min he is brill the next hes like a gooner.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Mar 23 2011, 01:04

YID4LIFE wrote:lol Viz - yeah i know what you mean, one min he is brill the next hes like a gooner.

When Bennys on song, one of the best left backs in league, when not, Ive played against better on Hackney Marshes!!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 04:45

Crying out for Crouch - Page 2 Screenshot20110322at101

1 goal in 45 shots

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 05:14

5 - Kyle Naughton has scored five goals from just seven shots on target for Leicester City in the Championship. Bonus.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 05:19

The 'points gained when started' stat for Pavy is mighty impressive . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Mar 23 2011, 06:01

VisionarySound wrote:The 'points gained when started' stat for Pavy is mighty impressive . . . . .

It certainly is Vis. Maybe he should start more.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 06:24

i think defoe and pav started most of the games in the run in last season apart from man c and burnley.

harry has to go 442 aganst wigan even if that means playing lennon on the left vdv right and leaving bale on the bench and bring him on later plus he wil be freash for madrid. just a thought lol
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Mar 23 2011, 20:46

Loughtonlegend wrote:5 - Kyle Naughton has scored five goals from just seven shots on target for Leicester City in the Championship. Bonus.

Lought, you post some interesting stats, then this garbage, wtf has a loanee's goals in the fizzy pop league got to do with it?

As you nicely put it earlier abt Taraabt and Hutton, Naughton got raped in the carling Cup by Arsenal, do you honestly see him even having a shot in the prem?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24 2011, 00:45

i dont think any of them played in the carling cup. adel def didnt feature. he was at qpr
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Mar 24 2011, 00:57

Loughtonlegend wrote:i dont think any of them played in the carling cup. adel def didnt feature. he was at qpr

You posted some stats on Naughton, thats what I replied to

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content