The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
A backward step. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
A backward step. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
A backward step. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
A backward step. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
A backward step. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
A backward step. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
A backward step. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
A backward step. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
A backward step. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

A backward step. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

A backward step.

A backward step. Empty A backward step.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:07

Following on from lought,s redknapp to chelsea thread, you just have to say that it isnt ridiculous at all, and i am not starting a new thread on the subject in the wake of lought,s, i wanted to bring to the fore the consequences of such a thing happening to the club.

A whole summer of strengthening up the side would be put to one side while levy tries to get another man in place, then the new man would have to hang onto the likes of modric and bale etc etc because harry with spending power would want to take some of our players with him, thats the norm with new managers.

Some of our players might want to follow harry out from the club with the attraction of better wages and a better chance of a prem title and cl football.

The new man would then have his own targets and we would be entering a new phase of starting again.

For those who want harry gone, then i cant begin to tell you what a backward step it would be, and i dont want to hear the dreamers going on about mourinho and/ or boas coming in because it wont happen.

Keeping harry is tantamount to the progression of tottenham hotspur as a power in the prem, for stability and continuity, we cant keep changing the manager every few years.

For those that say it really wasnt a great season, you have to remember that not only did the players perform in the cl for the first time but it was also harry,s first taste in the comp and fcking hell did he do well.

If we do lose harry, and there isnt smoke without fire, then its a backwards step, some of you that have moaned end of season better hope it isnt true, the bookmakers arent mugs, money is piling on, something real has gotten out somewhere for people to be piling money on him as next chelsea manager.

Harry may be fickle and move on from clubs, lets hope some of you are right in saying that he is happy at spurs, because i reckon if abramovitch whispers in his ear then he will be gone, he has seen what many on here dont recognise, and that is that harry has turned spurs from relegation candidates to able champions league contenders in a couple of seasons.

Some dont know what we have.....until we lose it.

A backward step. Empty Re: A backward step.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:29

Lew the choice to go to Chelsea, should there be any substance in the rumours, lays squarely in the hands of 'arry. It would be his final choice to decide, "Should I Stay, Or Should I Go" . . . ..

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:35

Totally agree vis ! we cant sway the bloke by saying "arry please stay " but what riles me is people jumping and making the most of any little thing he says and turning it into a negative.

Honestly vis it will be a fcking bad day if he goes, and it will bollox up summer plans to strengthen the side, in fact we will be starting all over again..............as we have for how many seasons now?

These rumours really depress me.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:38

well blame harry. he only has to say no i want to stay at spurs.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:47

Loughtonlegend wrote:well blame harry. he only has to say no i want to stay at spurs.

Well perhaps he might stay lought, who knows, my betting is that he will go if only to achieve his football aims in what little time he has for a man of his age.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:52

your making excuess for him. if he leaves then its another club hes left in the s.....

if he leaves then it shows he really has now loyalty to anyone

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 01:56

Loughtonlegend wrote:your making excuess for him. if he leaves then its another club hes left in the s.....

if he leaves then it shows he really has now loyalty to anyone

What is loyalty within football lought ! its few and far between.

I am not making excuses for him, just being realistic......... Rolling Eyes

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 02:04

well would you leave spurs to go chelsea or the scum. i wouldnt

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 02:41

No i wouldnt lought but thats because i am staunch tottenham through and through, harry has been bit of a journeyman.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat May 28 2011, 05:11

Im with Lought on this and I blame Harry for all this incertainty ..If its not the England job, its the Chavs ...

Tell me Lew why is it the bookies are not qouting odds on Wenger being manager of the Chavs ? How about Dalglish ? Nope, no odds as theres not much chance of it happening because they're commited to the job at hand ...

Now I know loyalty to a club by a manager or player is not what it might used to have been but all that is overtated in my opinion , managers and players of yesteryear did actualy swap clubs to further their careers but even in todays climate, there has to be a certain degree of commitment and loyalty shown? ...

Harry shows none.

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."
    Bill Nicholson

CanBill Nicks words not also apply to a manager?

If the Chavs appoint another manager, only then will Harry come out with, 'I was never intrested in the Chelsea job' ...

All this nonsense every other week with Harry and Im sick of it to be honest.
    Levy must do the right thing for Spurs that is to get Harry to only open his gob when talking up our club or to STFU... If he cannot agree to that, then I think we need a new manager sooner rather than later ...

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 06:00

ArnieArdiles wrote:Im with Lought on this and I blame Harry for all this incertainty ..If its not the England job, its the Chavs ...

Tell me Lew why is it the bookies are not qouting odds on Wenger being manager of the Chavs ? How about Dalglish ? Nope, no odds as theres not much chance of it happening because they're commited to the job at hand ...

Now I know loyalty to a club by a manager or player is not what it might used to have been but all that is overtated in my opinion , managers and players of yesteryear did actualy swap clubs to further their careers but even in todays climate, there has to be a certain degree of commitment and loyalty shown? ...

Harry shows none.

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."
    Bill Nicholson

If the Chavs appoint another manager, only then will Harry come out with, 'I was never intrested in the Chelsea job' ...

Levy must do the right thing for Spurs that is to get Harry to only open his gob when talking up our club or to STFU... If he cannot agree to that, then I think we need a new manager sooner rather than later ...

Its no good quoting bill nick arnie, get with it, we are living in a completely different age to bill nics, if only we werent.
    Is it nonsense ! i didnt start it, others on here did by saying they want harry out.

What does levy do then arnie ? an intelligent man having to cope with the cuthroat world of football business, trying to do his best for the fans, gets a bloke in that delivers and then has to put up with so called phone ins from idiots, and yeah they are idiots.

Last edited by lewspurs on Sat May 28 2011, 07:28; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 06:23

the radio stations have to make there money. them radio stations or a platform for people like harry to go on every 5mins and say whatever he wants..

theres loads of ex footballers now that presnet on football phone ins such as 606 and call collymoore. are they idiots for trying to get people to ring in.

if anything harry the idiot for talking rubbish by talking up every player and team saing hes a wonderfull lad or they a great team and theres no easy games. why cant be just be honest for once....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat May 28 2011, 06:38

Harry does say the wrong things at times I think anyone can see that. There are fans who phone in to radio stations every matchday and put there opinions across. Whether they are right are wrong they are opinions and it's not fair or right of Harry to brand them all idiots, neither is it fair or right for him to say that most of them don't go to the games how does he know? Like I said before anyway it doesn't matter whether they do or not. Their opinion on the club they follow is not devalued because of that. The opinion of some saying they want Harry out is just that an opinion you may think it's wrong Lew but it doesn't make them idiots. Harry should be careful what he says or someone close to him at the club should tell him to be careful what he says. It's better to say nothing at all if he can't keep a civil tongue in his head, that's my opinion Lew. After he came out with the idiots jibe the attitude across the net on forums was he should go. Quite rightly too because nothing will rile fans quicker than a manager or player running them down. After all where does Harry think the money for his wages comes from? I think Harry should stay as I have said in other posts but he can't keep having a pop at the supporters. That is a slippery slope with no way off until he hits the end of it.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat May 28 2011, 07:36

lewspurs wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:Im with Lought on this and I blame Harry for all this incertainty ..If its not the England job, its the Chavs ...

Harry shows none.

Bill Nicholson

Its no good quoting bill nick arnie, get with it, we are living in a completely age to bill nics, if only we werent.
    Is it nonsense ! i didnt start it, others on here did by saying they want harry out.

What does levy do then arnie ? an intelligent man having to cope with the cuthroat world of football business, trying to do his best for the fans, gets a bloke in that delivers and then has to put up with so called phone ins from idiots, and yeah they are idiots.

Well we obviously have differing requirements of a Spurs manager Lew ... Never mind tactics , style of play , ideas on who the right players are for the club but Im talking about off the field decorum ...

The man is outspoken but what has he really achieved ...Jose he too is outspoken but has the CV to back him up .. He also has a gob on him granted but its all so different to Harry ..Whilst Harry is contantly bigging himself up when its going well and pointing blame at others when it goes wrong... With Jose it's Jose, the team , club + the fans versus the world. A brand of unity that binds the manager and team with the fans...

As for what Levy should do , i ask you to read my post's last paragraph....

Heres a copy a paste job from The Dear Mr Levy Blog ..Its a long read but my feelings are there ...

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 10:46AM
    Firstly, frequent readers of this blog, I apologise for the lack of activity this past week in the build up to the season finale. I was brainwashed by the other half and spent most of it with her and the rugrat. Something about the latter celebrating her first birthday. To be honest, regardless of lack of time, I hardly felt inspired to match preview our final game of the season. When thinking 'football', my thoughts were on more pressing matters such as whether we have a decisive strategy with how to deal with the transfer window from opening to closure and if we plan to get our business done and dusted long before pre-season with viable targets already listed and targeted internally. Yes, I have my mind on science-fiction and my body is about to be frozen with the aid of cryogenics to allow for a more comfortable summer.

Okay, so 2-1. Pav with a couple of scorchers.

A game that spent most of the first half with no bite, like a sleeping lion. Plenty of teeth, just not on show. Livened up a little second half but mostly because of the Survival Sunday musical chairs playing out across the country. We performed with persistence considering this game was hardly do or die for us but we didn't quite brush the visitors aside where it mattered (in front of goal). Birmingham were plucky in pockets of play but without possession and without a Pavlyuchenko. In the end, Liverpool lost to Villa so 5th was secured regardless of Roman hammering the final nail into the coffin of Birmingham's Premier league life. Their fate sealed elsewhere on this day, Death lingering with his scythe, teasing the afternoon away.

The match doesn't warrant an in-depth analysis. Tag me with the lazy label. It doesn't mainly because it felt like an afterthought on this; Tottenham's finest ever season. Hey, don't take my word for it, just take the words of our gaffer. Go ahead and pick any words you want.

"This is as good as it gets"
    "They're idiots"
    "What do they expect?"
    "Won't get any better"
    "Anyone who has got any brains and understands will know it's been an amazing season"
    "Go and support someone else if you don't enjoy it"

Redknappology at it's finest. I'll come back to ' finest ever season' and other discussion points in future blogs. As for Harry...

It's no longer about the cluster of contradictions. No point reminding him of when he talked us up as title contenders which probably followed a comment about how it would be impossible to finish top four again because nobody else will point it out. Sports presenters will probably just laugh with him when they repeat his rant on tv or radio. Good olde Harry, he's socking it to 'em. Let's play the video/audio every half hour.

He's reactive to whatever is happening at the time and is usually happy to share safe and media-friendly assessments and vibrant self-preserving pats on back for himself and all his friends within the game unless there is something eating away at him. When there is eating we are treated to body-shots of sarcasm and petulance. A glimpse of his true feelings. You can only play ball with my ball because I'm letting you play ball with it.

reason why people (that's Tottenham fans regardless of whether they pick up the phone and dial up a phone-in show - which by the way, if idiots call up to complain via this method of communication it's ironic how it's the same method of communication Harry uses from time to time to hype up his portfolio) are unhappy is because of his body language oozing vanity and ego whilst spitting out disrespectful snides.

He's upset at the idea that any one would possibly dare to criticise him. Perhaps humility is a commodity he hasn't quite grasped can work in his favour, even if his underlying agenda (self-preservation) remains the same. We don't have to know we are being fooled. He doesn't have to comment on anything and everything and end up drowning in all the rhetoric.

Harry is deeply lost in his tapestry of talk like a badly organised Inception where he can no longer tell what level of the dream state he's in. But it doesn't matter because his media chums will not question the lack of continuity. What is birthed from this is Harry + tabloid story versus the ungrateful impatient fans. Makes us look fickle. We can do that just fine thank you very much without any additional help.

He cites the great Champions League adventure (which it was always going to be) and our wins at the Emirates and Anfield and against Inter and AC Milan. All great moments in terms of how much this side has progressed under his guidance (be it at the same standard of last season rather than a massive improvement).

Now perhaps another manager might actually brush it all off and say something along the lines of, "We've had some highlights this season, learnt one or two things. We're growing, progressing...but winning at places like Arsenal and Liverpool...this shouldn't be seen as anything other than what is expected. If this club wants to be top four or better we have to always look to win away to other 'top four' clubs. We've done well, it's a learning curve...but it's hardly worthy of being showered by an ice bucket".

In other words: Under play it. But that's not his methodology. He is far too involved with making sure nobody has missed the point: It's because of him if the because is something to sing about.

I have no idea if behind closed doors Harry does under play what he says in public. That behind closed doors he outlines the disappointments and how we have to look to improve further. Perhaps we believe what we see is what we're getting when in fact it's not and there's more than the one dimension. But considering the history Harry has with referencing players in post-match interviews, I doubt it. He's so wrapped up in himself he can't even contemplate genuine mind games of the ilk that would appease the Spurs fans who dislike his ways. For all the talk of his great PR skills he hardly displays them where it matters most.

Simply put, there are no other dimensions.

It's pretty much like if they cast Michael Caine to portray Jose Mourinho in a movie and Caine based his performance on post-match videos of Harry Redknapp. It makes no sense.

Harry is Harry. He does what he does. Deflect, protect and blame. He's obviously not a Jose and it's unfair to compare of course, but it's worth reflecting on the fact that with Jose it's Jose + the fans versus the world. A brand of unity that binds the manager and team with the fans unequivocally. We have a far more fragmented variant.

Harry doesn't play off the media in any clever way He just uses it as means to make sure he has his back covered. We knew this from before, it's no shocker. Still, anyone would think he was fighting for his life the way he was soundbiting our 'amazing' (it's the new triffic) season.

There is no need for him to be so defensive. Someone like Martin Jol, say in another hypothetical, would be quite apologetic when looking back at the season we've just had if he was the manager. But still carry a hefty weight of pride with his words that would warm the cockles of the listening Lilywhites. Even if he also carried the extra weight of responsibility for the failings that saw us fall short of another top four placement.

Redknapp prefers to simply remind us of how improved we are as a team and how all the positives are because of Redknapp. Of course they are, he's the manager. Everything the team does on the pitch is down to him. The good and the bad.

There is no need for him to be so defensive unless he can only be so because he can't fathom the reality of anyone daring to question what he knows was a disappointing end to the season (3 wins in 15 if my maths is right). That's not being ungrateful, citing such stats. They are worthy of discussion. United have won the title by accumulating 68% of all their points at Old Trafford. We've only lost the once at home all season in the Prem. Turn some of those draws into wins, and my God, he'd be banging on the door of the Buckingham Palace requesting a knighthood right about now.

THFC remains on the up. It's good to have the problems rather than sat in mid table. We should not be in a position of fragmentation regarding the relationship of manager and fans.

We've not had it so good?

There's more than an element of ample truth in that statement. It was however hardly delivered with a loving touch. And perhaps he meant across the two seasons, although he clearly stated this season to be better than the last. It's all relative. By definition this season might be deemed more memorable and the better of the two because of the CL adventure. In the grand scheme of things we've simply retained a level of consistency meaning we are in the position to challenge again within what is the most competitive top tier of any league in world football. We could have done better, it's a fine line and all that.

So yes, we are grateful and we're more than content that this club of ours finally has some stability on the pitch. We can look forward to being in the thick of it, from one season to the next. We can compete, we've proven that. So Harry should be taking that onwards rather than dwelling on any feedback or opinion (which is our God given right) as being some form of dagger to the heart.

It's all getting slightly embarrassing now. The post-match interview with Sky Sports was ugly.

Harry - I'm no longer certain it's us that you need to be constantly reminding we haven't had it so good. You've never had it so good. That huddle in the middle of the pitch that galvanises our players and stirs up emotion from the fans before kick-off. Get in amongst it.

COYS.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 07:41

BazSpur wrote:Harry does say the wrong things at times I think anyone can see that. There are fans who phone in to radio stations every matchday and put there opinions across. Whether they are right are wrong they are opinions and it's not fair or right of Harry to brand them all idiots, neither is it fair or right for him to say that most of them don't go to the games how does he know? Like I said before anyway it doesn't matter whether they do or not. Their opinion on the club they follow is not devalued because of that. The opinion of some saying they want Harry out is just that an opinion you may think it's wrong Lew but it doesn't make them idiots. Harry should be careful what he says or someone close to him at the club should tell him to be careful what he says. It's better to say nothing at all if he can't keep a civil tongue in his head, that's my opinion Lew. After he came out with the idiots jibe the attitude across the net on forums was he should go. Quite rightly too because nothing will rile fans quicker than a manager or player running them down. After all where does Harry think the money for his wages comes from? I think Harry should stay as I have said in other posts but he can't keep having a pop at the supporters. That is a slippery slope with no way off until he hits the end of it.

Ok baz so harry cant speak his mind because he might upset supporters who cant see what he has achieved in so short a time and the raised expectation that he has created.

Without that expectation these same idiots wouldnt have a case to argue against now would they?

We didnt fight a relegation battle, as we have in the past, we didnt covet a europa place to get a taste of a euro comp because we have been so starved of it in the past, we actually contested the big one, and still these idiots think its ok to slag the bloke off.

If these idiot fans cant get behind the team then spurs are better off without them.

You know some people are never happy, take 4 points off the tossers at the emirates, do the double over a side that even bill nics best team couldnt beat and still they arent happy.

How can you slag off a manager who has given us so much in so short a time?

Its beyond me...lets get gross or ardiles back, or maybe francis and then these idiots might have a case to shout about.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat May 28 2011, 07:51

lewspurs wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:Harry does say the wrong things at times I think anyone can see that. There are fans who phone in to radio stations every matchday and put there opinions across. Whether they are right are wrong they are opinions and it's not fair or right of Harry to brand them all idiots, neither is it fair or right for him to say that most of them don't go to the games how does he know? Like I said before anyway it doesn't matter whether they do or not. Their opinion on the club they follow is not devalued because of that. The opinion of some saying they want Harry out is just that an opinion you may think it's wrong Lew but it doesn't make them idiots. Harry should be careful what he says or someone close to him at the club should tell him to be careful what he says. It's better to say nothing at all if he can't keep a civil tongue in his head, that's my opinion Lew. After he came out with the idiots jibe the attitude across the net on forums was he should go. Quite rightly too because nothing will rile fans quicker than a manager or player running them down. After all where does Harry think the money for his wages comes from? I think Harry should stay as I have said in other posts but he can't keep having a pop at the supporters. That is a slippery slope with no way off until he hits the end of it.

Ok baz so harry cant speak his mind because he might upset supporters who cant see what he has achieved in so short a time and the raised expectation that he has created.

Without that expectation these same idiots wouldnt have a case to argue against now would they?

We didnt fight a relegation battle, as we have in the past, we didnt covet a europa place to get a taste of a euro comp because we have been so starved of it in the past, we actually contested the big one, and still these idiots think its ok to slag the bloke off.

If these idiot fans cant get behind the team then spurs are better off without them.

You know some people are never happy, take 4 points off the tossers at the emirates, do the double over a side that even bill nics best team couldnt beat and still they arent happy.

Its beyond me...lets get gross or ardiles back, or maybe francis and then these idiots might have a case to shout about.

I think it just might sink in with you Lew when Harry in an interview says ...
    'All those idiots writing on internet forums about football, my dad never did that '
    ... silent

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 07:53

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

Harry shows none.

Bill Nicholson

Its no good quoting bill nick arnie, get with it, we are living in a completely age to bill nics, if only we werent.

Well we obviously have differing requirements of a Spurs manager Lew ... Never mind tactics , style of play , ideas on who the right players are for the club but Im talking about off the field decorum ...

The man is outspoken but what has he really achieved ...Jose he too is outspoken but has the CV to back him up .. He also has a gob on him granted but its all so different to Harry ..Whilst Harry is contantly bigging himself up when its going well and pointing blame at others when it goes wrong... With Jose it's Jose, the team , club + the fans versus the world. A brand of unity that binds the manager and team with the fans...

As for what Levy should do , i ask you to read my post's last paragraph....

Heres a copy a paste job from The Dear Mr Levy Blog ..Its a long read but my feelings are there ...

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 10:46AM
    Firstly, frequent readers of this blog, I apologise for the lack of activity this past week in the build up to the season finale. I was brainwashed by the other half and spent most of it with her and the rugrat. Something about the latter celebrating her first birthday. To be honest, regardless of lack of time, I hardly felt inspired to match preview our final game of the season. When thinking 'football', my thoughts were on more pressing matters such as whether we have a decisive strategy with how to deal with the transfer window from opening to closure and if we plan to get our business done and dusted long before pre-season with viable targets already listed and targeted internally. Yes, I have my mind on science-fiction and my body is about to be frozen with the aid of cryogenics to allow for a more comfortable summer.

Okay, so 2-1. Pav with a couple of scorchers.

A game that spent most of the first half with no bite, like a sleeping lion. Plenty of teeth, just not on show. Livened up a little second half but mostly because of the Survival Sunday musical chairs playing out across the country. We performed with persistence considering this game was hardly do or die for us but we didn't quite brush the visitors aside where it mattered (in front of goal). Birmingham were plucky in pockets of play but without possession and without a Pavlyuchenko. In the end, Liverpool lost to Villa so 5th was secured regardless of Roman hammering the final nail into the coffin of Birmingham's Premier league life. Their fate sealed elsewhere on this day, Death lingering with his scythe, teasing the afternoon away.

The match doesn't warrant an in-depth analysis. Tag me with the lazy label. It doesn't mainly because it felt like an afterthought on this; Tottenham's finest ever season. Hey, don't take my word for it, just take the words of our gaffer. Go ahead and pick any words you want.

"This is as good as it gets"
    "They're idiots"
    "What do they expect?"
    "Won't get any better"
    "Anyone who has got any brains and understands will know it's been an amazing season"
    "Go and support someone else if you don't enjoy it"

Redknappology at it's finest. I'll come back to ' finest ever season' and other discussion points in future blogs. As for Harry...

It's no longer about the cluster of contradictions. No point reminding him of when he talked us up as title contenders which probably followed a comment about how it would be impossible to finish top four again because nobody else will point it out. Sports presenters will probably just laugh with him when they repeat his rant on tv or radio. Good olde Harry, he's socking it to 'em. Let's play the video/audio every half hour.

He's reactive to whatever is happening at the time and is usually happy to share safe and media-friendly assessments and vibrant self-preserving pats on back for himself and all his friends within the game unless there is something eating away at him. When there is eating we are treated to body-shots of sarcasm and petulance. A glimpse of his true feelings. You can only play ball with my ball because I'm letting you play ball with it.

reason why people (that's Tottenham fans regardless of whether they pick up the phone and dial up a phone-in show - which by the way, if idiots call up to complain via this method of communication it's ironic how it's the same method of communication Harry uses from time to time to hype up his portfolio) are unhappy is because of his body language oozing vanity and ego whilst spitting out disrespectful snides.

He's upset at the idea that any one would possibly dare to criticise him. Perhaps humility is a commodity he hasn't quite grasped can work in his favour, even if his underlying agenda (self-preservation) remains the same. We don't have to know we are being fooled. He doesn't have to comment on anything and everything and end up drowning in all the rhetoric.

Harry is deeply lost in his tapestry of talk like a badly organised Inception where he can no longer tell what level of the dream state he's in. But it doesn't matter because his media chums will not question the lack of continuity. What is birthed from this is Harry + tabloid story versus the ungrateful impatient fans. Makes us look fickle. We can do that just fine thank you very much without any additional help.

He cites the great Champions League adventure (which it was always going to be) and our wins at the Emirates and Anfield and against Inter and AC Milan. All great moments in terms of how much this side has progressed under his guidance (be it at the same standard of last season rather than a massive improvement).

Now perhaps another manager might actually brush it all off and say something along the lines of, "We've had some highlights this season, learnt one or two things. We're growing, progressing...but winning at places like Arsenal and Liverpool...this shouldn't be seen as anything other than what is expected. If this club wants to be top four or better we have to always look to win away to other 'top four' clubs. We've done well, it's a learning curve...but it's hardly worthy of being showered by an ice bucket".

In other words: Under play it. But that's not his methodology. He is far too involved with making sure nobody has missed the point: It's because of him if the because is something to sing about.

I have no idea if behind closed doors Harry does under play what he says in public. That behind closed doors he outlines the disappointments and how we have to look to improve further. Perhaps we believe what we see is what we're getting when in fact it's not and there's more than the one dimension. But considering the history Harry has with referencing players in post-match interviews, I doubt it. He's so wrapped up in himself he can't even contemplate genuine mind games of the ilk that would appease the Spurs fans who dislike his ways. For all the talk of his great PR skills he hardly displays them where it matters most.

Simply put, there are no other dimensions.

It's pretty much like if they cast Michael Caine to portray Jose Mourinho in a movie and Caine based his performance on post-match videos of Harry Redknapp. It makes no sense.

Harry is Harry. He does what he does. Deflect, protect and blame. He's obviously not a Jose and it's unfair to compare of course, but it's worth reflecting on the fact that with Jose it's Jose + the fans versus the world. A brand of unity that binds the manager and team with the fans unequivocally. We have a far more fragmented variant.

Harry doesn't play off the media in any clever way He just uses it as means to make sure he has his back covered. We knew this from before, it's no shocker. Still, anyone would think he was fighting for his life the way he was soundbiting our 'amazing' (it's the new triffic) season.

There is no need for him to be so defensive. Someone like Martin Jol, say in another hypothetical, would be quite apologetic when looking back at the season we've just had if he was the manager. But still carry a hefty weight of pride with his words that would warm the cockles of the listening Lilywhites. Even if he also carried the extra weight of responsibility for the failings that saw us fall short of another top four placement.

Redknapp prefers to simply remind us of how improved we are as a team and how all the positives are because of Redknapp. Of course they are, he's the manager. Everything the team does on the pitch is down to him. The good and the bad.

There is no need for him to be so defensive unless he can only be so because he can't fathom the reality of anyone daring to question what he knows was a disappointing end to the season (3 wins in 15 if my maths is right). That's not being ungrateful, citing such stats. They are worthy of discussion. United have won the title by accumulating 68% of all their points at Old Trafford. We've only lost the once at home all season in the Prem. Turn some of those draws into wins, and my God, he'd be banging on the door of the Buckingham Palace requesting a knighthood right about now.

THFC remains on the up. It's good to have the problems rather than sat in mid table. We should not be in a position of fragmentation regarding the relationship of manager and fans.

We've not had it so good?

There's more than an element of ample truth in that statement. It was however hardly delivered with a loving touch. And perhaps he meant across the two seasons, although he clearly stated this season to be better than the last. It's all relative. By definition this season might be deemed more memorable and the better of the two because of the CL adventure. In the grand scheme of things we've simply retained a level of consistency meaning we are in the position to challenge again within what is the most competitive top tier of any league in world football. We could have done better, it's a fine line and all that.

So yes, we are grateful and we're more than content that this club of ours finally has some stability on the pitch. We can look forward to being in the thick of it, from one season to the next. We can compete, we've proven that. So Harry should be taking that onwards rather than dwelling on any feedback or opinion (which is our God given right) as being some form of dagger to the heart.

It's all getting slightly embarrassing now. The post-match interview with Sky Sports was ugly.

Harry - I'm no longer certain it's us that you need to be constantly reminding we haven't had it so good. You've never had it so good. That huddle in the middle of the pitch that galvanises our players and stirs up emotion from the fans before kick-off. Get in amongst it.

COYS.

Arnie, i am not even going to read that rubbish, and it really is rubbish.

You like others are falling into the trap of living in a dream world created by the expectation that the man has created himself.

My last words on the subject is that losing harry will set the club back years.

If you want to go back to the dark ages then its down to you, if you see some sort of saviour coming in to replace harry ala mourinho then keep dreaming.

To keep pouncing on harry quotes and turning them into something else is sad, to compare him with other managers is ridiculous, why cant you see what he has achieved in his time at spurs and be content and look forward to next season......crazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 08:01

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

'All those idiots writing on internet forums about football, my dad never did that '
    ... silent

Baz i know what he said, it doesnt need to sink in, he means (imo) is that we think we are all football experts. lol! isnt that just correct ?

I never posted the above Lew. Arnie did. lol!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat May 28 2011, 08:07

I never said he couldn't speak his mind Lew. You are putting words in my mouth. What I said he can't do is slag the supporters off who pay his wages. There is speaking your mind and then there is being down right rude. I can't remember any other manager doing that.

We didnt fight a relegation battle, as we have in the past, we didnt
    covet a europa place to get a taste of a euro comp because we have been
    so starved of it in the past, we actually contested the big one, and
    still these idiots think its ok to slag the bloke off.

Yep, they do. They have the right to say they think Arry is wrong on certain things to do with the team. They have the right to say they don't agree with his selections or his tactics. So, in the past then Lew you have never voiced your opinion on matters to do with the manager or the club? They may not be right in what they are saying but they have a right to say it and that's about it really like it or not mate. Just the same as everyone on this forum has a right to voice an opinion just like you are.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 08:14

BazSpur wrote:I never said he couldn't speak his mind Lew. You are putting words in my mouth. What I said he can't do is slag the supporters off who pay his wages. There is speaking your mind and then there is being down right rude. I can't remember any other manager doing that.

We didnt fight a relegation battle, as we have in the past, we didnt
    covet a europa place to get a taste of a euro comp because we have been
    so starved of it in the past, we actually contested the big one, and
    still these idiots think its ok to slag the bloke off.

Yep, they do. They have the right to say they think Arry is wrong on certain things to do with the team. They have the right to say they don't agree with his selections or his tactics. So, in the past then Lew you have never voiced your opinion on matters to do with the manager or the club? They may not be right in what they are saying but they have a right to say it and that's about it really like it or not mate. Just the same as everyone on this forum has a right to voice an opinion just like you are.

So why cant harry answer back ? we live in a democracy baz, because the fans contribute toward his wages doesnt mean he cant have a go back when they have a go at him, he is entitled to his opinion too surely?

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 08:30

lewspurs wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

... silent

Baz i know what he said, it doesnt need to sink in, he means (imo) is that we think we are all football experts. lol! isnt that just correct ?

I never posted the above Lew. Arnie did. lol!

Got me arnies mixed up baz..so sorry jocolor
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat May 28 2011, 08:31

He can answer back Lew. What I believe he shouldn't do is call the supporters voicing an opinion on a radio talk in idiots. That is my only beef with him on this issue. What I would have said in his place was. " I understand that the supporters have voiced an opinion on the way I run the team. I think I am running the team to the best of my ability. They have the right to voice their opinion but I believe I am doing it right." Not come out and call the supporters idiots. All he has done is get their backs up Lew.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat May 28 2011, 09:25

there is only one ingredient missing at our club and that is stability, were nearly there if harry stays and we can get through this period of uncertainty and rumours all the time, and lought is right harry should come out and scotch all these stories if there not true. but while he is being sniped at, hes probably enjoying the moment worrying his tormentors cos deep down i think most want him to stay and he knows that. lew made a good point as well that if he does go it could see the downfall of our team with players we love thinking f*ck it if the boss dont care why should i , im off as well. carefull what we wish for.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat May 28 2011, 09:47

lewspurs wrote:

Rep for ya

I dont get it either, when can these fans ever be happy?

Harry's big problem is he has to sit and listen to fans slagging him off, why shouldnt he fight back. He's right as well, we were in sh*t street & he did turn it around. Most of the spurs blogs I see are slagging him off most of the time. If I was him and \chelsea come calling I'd be well gone.

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 11:03

2points from 8 games. do people really think we would of gone down. west brom where dead and buried in feb and got out of that mess easy.
    arnie right that its harry vs the world. no wonder the fans dont take to him when hes prasing every other team and player yet hardly ever praises our players.i cant belive he defended charlie adams. if i was bale id be lived.if harry does go then we wont fall apart. i trust harry and he would get in somone as good as harry.why cant harry come out and say he loves it here and he loves spurs then we mite take to him more.he acts like hes to good for us when in truth this is the best job hes ever had

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 08 2024, 11:40