The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
bang on  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
bang on  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
bang on  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
bang on  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
bang on  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
bang on  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
bang on  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
bang on  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
bang on  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

bang on  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

bang on

bang on  Empty bang on

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 09:05

Matt Le Tissier I salute you!
    What has happened to people today. I am sure if Spurs were to pay me 20 grand a week to play football I'd sign up to a 10 year contract in the blink of an eye.

I'd be living the dream, every child`s fantasy of playing for the team they support. Do players these days, no longer grow up as fans? Wayne Rooney had the chance to lead the line at Everton for 13+ years but turned it down for trophies, although we have since discovered that this is rubbish and he really just wanted the cash. Money is all they want. I'd like to believe the best players play for the best clubs because of the chance to play in the CL but look at City in the last 3 years, signing big name players with no CL footie and paying them a small fortune every week.

Would I be any different as a professional footballer? Would you? I'd like to think so but greed is sadly a part of human nature, we all want more. I thought Luka was different, I still think he's a bit different but a part of his soul died last week...or was it my soul, I'm not so sure. I'll still cheer him and sing his name but he is now just a mercenary like so many others. And so we come to Matt Le Tissier.

The Southampton team of the mid nineties was rubbish. I mean it really was terrible and yet he single handedly saved them from relegation about 4 times. He scored more goals from midfield than most strikers season after season, missed one out of 49 penalties, could have gone to Man Utd and sacrificed his England career due to his decision to stay with the Saints. Supremely talented he had the footballing world at his feet. For him though nothing gave him more pleasure than playing for the team he loved.

And what of him now? He's a living legend. Liked and respected by fans and players alike he earns a tidy sum for Sky Sports. He could walk into any bar in Southampton for the rest of his life and never have to buy a drink. Fans will always remember him. Sure there were other great midfielders from the nineties but who were they? You could think them if you tried, but none stick in the memory as much as Sir Matt. So hats off to you Mr Le Tissier. You saw the bigger picture and realised there is more to football than the $$$ and your life has continued to be successful long after your footballing retirement.

Despite your annoying pleasure at seeing Spurs going behind on Soccer Saturday I have the utmost respect for you and if players these days were to be half as loyal to their club as you were then game I love may not continually disappoint me...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7509123#ixzz1Px04HIjP
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

bang on  Empty Re: bang on

Post by cstmrsking Wed Jun 22 2011, 10:01

Nice read. Almost has romantic feel to it. If only it were that simple. Just think, if players stayed at clubs they loved. We wouldnt of had some of the greats come and play for us.

Just loving a club is not enough. The fans have gotta love you too.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Jun 23 2011, 00:00

I thought we tried to sign Le Tissier when he was in his prime, probably wrong. As for this love thing for a club and it's supporters that's a thing of the past. These day's I would not trust any big name player we signed to stay at the club, or manager come to that, not for the love of the club or it's supporter's anyway, and it does not matter how much we love certain player's, as soon as a cheque is put on the end of a fishing line by the likes of United, City or Chelsea they will be reeled in while we are left with the small fry. We loved Berbastrop, we loved Campbell, a player we thought would be here untill he packed the game in, and look what happend. We could lose Bale and Modric if not this comeing season, the next if we fail to get into the Champion's League, pluss Harry for the England job?, sad but loyalty from player's for our club went out the club's gate with the likes of Hoddle, Perryman, Greaves, Mabbutt and others that proved they loved Spurs and the supporter's and played for the club with pride, I do not see that pride from today's player's just greed. The one player who does seem to play with a passion and love for the club when he does play is Ledley, sadly he is not able to do so as offten as we would like, and I suppose Dawson is another, not the greatest centre half we have had imo, but he does give his all and get's on with the job. As for the other's?, a case of here today gone tomorrow if the price is right.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 00:34

[quote="Boltjean"] sad but loyalty from player's for our club went out the club's gate with the likes of Hoddle, Perryman, Greaves, Mabbutt and others that proved they loved Spurs and the supporter's and played for the club with pride, I do not see that pride from today's player's just greed. The one player who does seem to play with a passion and love for the club when he does play is Ledley, sadly he is not able to do so as offten as we would like.

I am not sure ledley would have stayed with us if his career hadnt been blighted by injury len, but its nice to think that would be the case.
    Ledley would have been world class without a doubt, i just wonder if the likes of man utd, chelsea and barcelona even had come in offering big money.....would he have stayed ?
    Only he knows i would have thought?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jun 23 2011, 01:31

Len, I take it you cansee the forums again?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 02:01

well i cant speak for everyone but i wouldnt play for the goons even if i was offerd 200k a week
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Jun 23 2011, 04:49

Hello Baz. I can see a couple of letters on some of the forums, not all, if I click on those letters I can view the forum I click on, but some are completely covered by these boxes I mentioned. I was going to download that site you gave me, but I worry about what I download. If I find the problem stops me reading the board messages, then I will give it a try, but OK for now Baz thank you.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jun 23 2011, 05:34

Hi Len, there is nothing to worry about downloading fire fox mate it's only a browser like Internet Explorer.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Jun 23 2011, 05:39

Thank you Baz, I will think about it. Have you seen Arnies post, Memories of Spurs, what a great post, I just love the History of the club, all those pictures.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Jun 23 2011, 06:25

The modern footballer's career in general is seen by us fans of the game, as greed over glory but its not always the case and a loyal player can stay at one club and receive club legendary status on retirement ... I suppose if the player is happy with where he lives , maybe its the team that he supported when he were a kid and maybe the player has never really been one of those type of players that felt the need to test himself in another league.. Im sure the likes of Mansfield , Bury , Gillingham and others of similar standing would have these types in their recent history ....

But for me, it just dont sit right if you're a regarded as one of the top players that you dont sample more than one club ..... I think a top players career is say, 12 years so if a player like Le Tiss was to have given Southampton the first four and maybe the last four years to 'his' club, would the most loyal Southampton fan have begrudged him a move for a few seasons to a club challenging europes elites ?

I actualy think Le Tiss was wrong and showed a lack of football ambition ..... However Le Tiss had talent and he chose not to play at anywhere else but his beloved Southampton so I respect him for that ... The players that I have trouble with respecting for their choices are the ones that when they've hanged their boots up and we look back on their careers, we see that they've had a string of clubs and three seasons at one club is a long stay for them.

I also dont like those players that when they're part of a team that gets relegated, they voice their opinion regarding finding another club before the tears of the clubs suffering fans have dried up ( Chimbonda - Defoe )...

Those players that sign for a club and have a couple of good seasons only for rivals to his club, sometimes local too, bid for him and he makes the move to the local rival without a second thought... I just happen to think that if you've played for the Goons you shouldnt really play for Spurs, sorry Wills lol ...If you've played for Man City , then Man Utd is a no-no and likewise Liverpool for Everton and all the other local rivalries etc ..... These players that totaly disregard fans opinions of them because they dont give a damn how they will be remembered but just think of the money , for me , these are the real mercs ....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content