The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. Empty Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy.

Post by BazSpur Fri Jul 01 2011, 08:43

I found this on a site which was having a question and answer session with someone in the know at the club. The question was why are we having to sell before buying new players? The questioner also asked why is there a lack of money for new players after our CL excursion? I think the answer is probably spot on

Ben Pearce, Spursreporter:
    (1.3): This is a common misconception. The issue is not a lack of
    money, it's the 25-man squad. Spurs already have too many players for a
    25-man squad next season, and if they bring in more players now that
    problem will only get worse. It's easy to say 'buy now, sell later' but,
    as we've seen time and again with Keane/Bentley etc, it's never as easy
    as you think to get rid of players you don't want. Levy does not want
    to be loaning out international players, and/or paying big wages to
    people who are not actually playing for Spurs!

Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. Empty Re: Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 09:43

all levy has to do is accept lower amounts for the dead wood,

how can he expect loads for players like keane and bentley when he loans them out,

they hardly set the world atligt at the loan clubs

plus all we really need is 1 top draw striker,
    that is a must
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy. Empty Re: Why Spurs Have To Sell Before They Can Buy.

Post by HotspurRoper Fri Jul 01 2011, 17:02

Its ok saying that Lought but where are these low amount bids coming from? and where do you draw the line? As far as im aware there has been a 2 million quid bid for Robbie Keane, Come on man where the fek do 2 million quid get you in todays market? Not an international footballer of Keanes ability you dont. You have to draw the line some where or you will have every club wanting to take the P*ss
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jul 01 2011, 20:48

HotspurRoper wrote:Its ok saying that Lought but where are these low amount bids coming from? and where do you draw the line? As far as im aware there has been a 2 million quid bid for Robbie Keane, Come on man where the fek do 2 million quid get you in todays market? Not an international footballer of Keanes ability you dont. You have to draw the line some where or you will have every club wanting to take the P*ss

I know where you are coming from Lee, but we have to look at the fact that few clubs are interested in Keane or Bentley or a fair few of our surplus players (I hate the term deadwood). In situations like that you take what you can and free up the space required. I can't say I'm happy about it but that's the reality of the situation. Keane's star has faded so getting him off the wage roster is far more important than getting a good price for him. If others are interested in getting him cheap then we should get a few more bids for him. If not then get what we can. Had he not gone to Liverpool then we'd probably be rewarding his years of service with a free transfer anyway.

Danny can't have it both ways. If we need to offload to free up squad places before we can buy, then you have to sell for whatever is offered. Otherwise you run the risk of being lumbered with a wage you don't want to pay.

Take the money and move on. In the long run we benefit.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 23:30

BazSpur wrote:I found this on a site which was having a question and answer session with someone in the know at the club. The question was why are we having to sell before buying new players? The questioner also asked why is there a lack of money for new players after our CL excursion? I think the answer is probably spot on

Ben Pearce, Spursreporter:
    (1.3): This is a common misconception. The issue is not a lack of
    money, it's the 25-man squad. Spurs already have too many players for a
    25-man squad next season, and if they bring in more players now that
    problem will only get worse. It's easy to say 'buy now, sell later' but,
    as we've seen time and again with Keane/Bentley etc, it's never as easy
    as you think to get rid of players you don't want. Levy does not want
    to be loaning out international players, and/or paying big wages to
    people who are not actually playing for Spurs!

It does make sense baz,we have to get others off the payroll first, millions are going out in wages on players not being used.
    i thought jol was coming in for jenas and keane ? what has happened there seems like the usual rubbish we read everyday.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02 2011, 00:55

we had about 9 mill offer from pav last xmas lucky we didnt accept,
    there was a few bids for bentley at about 6 mil.
    we could of got a bit more last window for robbie,

i bet hes wages are a lot as well.

how can we expect a decent fee for robbie when our manager loans him to celtic then the minute hes back loans him to west ham.

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Jul 04 2011, 05:36

Pav, Kranjcar and Palacious seem to be the only players that any one has shown interest in but again we are looking for more than anybody wants to pay.

I totaly agree with Ion if they have to go for a lot less than the club would like so be it. If we can't move anybody in until they are out then they have to go.I thought the 10.5 mil that was offered for Palacious was a good price but Levy is holding out for what we paid 14 mil which was over the odds at the time anyway.

Keane at nearly 31 and not the player he was 2 mil and the 70,000 grand a week off the wage bill is a fair deal.The trouble with Bentley is that he's been found out where ever he has gone on loan and quite frankly I can't see anyone wanting to take him on. Kranjcar only cost us 2 mil so 2 or 3 mil is a good deal.

It's quite ironic really when you think about it we are having a lot of trouble off loading our international players but we got nearly 6 mil for O'Hara a good honest player but never a star.

A lot of clubs including some of the top ones have off loaded a few squad players recently for a lot less than they are worth for the same reason as we need to. Utd and L'Pool are a prime example and they are also two clubs that have been busy in the transfer market.

Mikey M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 02:33