The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
LOBO
totalytot
philip
ionman34
BazSpur
9 posters

Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline?

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 Empty Re: Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline?

Post by totalytot Mon Sep 05 2011, 04:32

16 MIL I believe was the asking price for Cahill. Not a lot on today's prices but we only wanted to offer players not hard cash. It's a shame really because he is just what we needed with most of our CD either injured most of the time or just not quite top class.Utd took Jones from under our noses and Fergie knew that he would be an England regular over the next few years as will Cahill and we should have stepped in and taken him because someone else will have him in January.
    To me that's forward planning and we don't seem to be doing that at the moment.

Mikey M
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline? - Page 2 Empty Re: Levy, the real star of this transfer deadline?

Post by totalytot Mon Sep 05 2011, 04:42

I also agree Harry will be gone within the year but not because England comes calling but because he and Levy will have a falling out.

I have always said the selectors will not give Harry the job it will probably go to another "Johnny foreigner" however if they do go English then I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Hodgson he ticks all their boxes.

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Sep 05 2011, 06:08

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Hodgson he ticks all their boxes.

In other words he wouldn't rock the FA boat Mikey?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 06:45

yep im starting to think the fa wont appoint harry.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 07:33

And football, because Levy has challenged the
    accepted wisdom about having to let a player leave if he’s unsettled,
    showing such mentality to be the submissive, cowardly cop-out that it
    is.
    He’s told these ludicrously wealthy young men, with their ludicrous sense of ­entitlement, they don’t rule the world.
    That
    when they sign long-term contracts with clubs they ­actually mean
    something. By demanding Modric sticks to that contract he has shifted
    power back from footballers to the people who pay their wages.
    He’s told them and their agents they can’t always get their own way.

Poster's who have followed my pre-season thoughts & opinions about Levy & Modric will know that I applaud Levy for his stance. Has anyone considered the other side of the coin though ? To quote the author; these ludicrously wealthy young men, with their ludicrous sense of ­entitlement, will no longer sign long term contracts. Forget the 4/5/6 year deal. In which case the posistion of the club (and therefore the fans) will be considerably weakened. Who thinks Modric will ever sign another 6 year contract after this summer ? Players will start to sign 2 year contracts, maybe less, knowing after just one season they will see the balance of power tip to them again. Some clubs will look for longer deals but the Noveau Riche clubs will not complain. They will offer obscene pay rises or just purchase overpriced replacements. The so-called "fair play" rules may make a difference but I'm sure clubs such as Citeh, PSG, Barca et al can afford the best lawyers to find ways around the rules. We may well see the end of the transfer fee. That would save clubs money and allow them to pay the wages these strutting prima (Mara)Donnas squeal for. The blame lays with the agents. The scourge of the modern game. Parasites living off the talent and gullability of young men. So yes Levy has made a proud & brave stand - one which I wholeheartedly agree with - and yes he has quite possibly changed the posistion of clubs & the modern player. But not necessarily for the better . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Sep 05 2011, 19:15

What Levy has done Vis is no different to what Wegner did for two seasons with Fabregas and Ferguson with Ronaldo. They got them to stay another season and then had to sell them.I'm sure the same will happen with Modric maybe even in the January window.

He obviously wants to leave and I think Levy knows that he will be going but after telling us that he was going nowhere he had to stick by that or he would have had a riot on his hands.

Mikey M
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Mon Sep 05 2011, 22:20

Thats right and in Fergies case knew exactly where he was going and had replacements lined up. Done it again this window making his signings early and then sitting back watching the ensuing fiasco, no doubt sniggering. Levy didn't seem to have any clues as to what Harry wanted and everything left to the last minute, making another player unhappy (Gio reportedly) because of it. Will we ever learn.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Sep 06 2011, 00:15

The mentality on here absolutely astounds me. It seems the consensus of opinion is that the board has to walk around on eggshells for fear of upsetting our players.

Question, what exactly will have chaged, RE Modric, by the time the January window comes around?
    Answer, f*ck all. We still hold all the Aces and Modric will still have to realise that we own him for the foreseeable. If he wishes CL Football then the guy better knuckle down and do his part in securing it for Spurs.

As for GDS. He wasn't exactly shouting his disappointment to the rooftops about being paid a handsome wage whilst he couldn't be bothered to turn up to training sessions.

Christ on a Bike, this has to be the only industry where it seems you expect the bosses to be subservient to the employees.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Sep 06 2011, 02:37

Seems to me the system works reasonably enough if the approach by the purchasing club is properly conducted ( ie no tapping up) and the eventual fee agreed between the seller and the purchaser is fair - in Ronnie's case around £70 million, in O'Hara's case £4 million.

Rant all you like about mercenary players lured by cash rich clubs but lets face it if they were not bloody mercenaries Modric would be kicking a ball about in Zagreb, Nasri in Marseilles, and Adebayor would be driving a cab at Togo airport

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue Sep 06 2011, 06:33

or helping his father in the elephant valeting bay

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 08:06

PMSL Shear . .. . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Sep 06 2011, 08:40

anicoll5 wrote:Seems to me the system works reasonably enough if the approach by the purchasing club is properly conducted ( ie no tapping up) and the eventual fee agreed between the seller and the purchaser is fair - in Ronnie's case around £70 million, in O'Hara's case £4 million.

Rant all you like about mercenary players lured by cash rich clubs but lets face it if they were not bloody mercenaries Modric would be kicking a ball about in Zagreb, Nasri in Marseilles, and Adebayor would be driving a cab at Togo airport

Precisely, and mercenaries are controlled by the contracts they sign, just so long as the employer is prepared to enforce it.

It doesn't help when the fan mentality is 'Sell the b*stard, he's not showing us any Love!!'
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 06 2011, 12:45

ionman34 wrote:

Christ on a Bike, this has to be the only industry where it seems you expect the bosses to be subservient to the employees.

Ah Ion, we got there eventualy , about a contributing factor I put forward regarding the low share price?
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 06 2011, 12:49

Quick summary of the changes:

INS
    ===
    Brad Friedel (Aston Villa, free)
    Souleymane Coulibaly (Siena, undisclosed)
    Cristian Ceballos (Unattached, free)
    Emmanuel Adebayor (Manchester City, loan)
    Iago Falque (Juventus, loan)
    Scott Parker (West Ham, £5 million)

OUTS
    ====
    Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy, £3.5 million)
    Jonathan Woodgate (released)
    Jamie O'Hara (Wolves, £5 million)
    Steven Caulker (Swansea, loan)
    Bongani Khumalo (Reading, loan)
    Paul-Jose Mpoku (Standard Liege, undisclosed)
    Nathan Byrne (Bournemouth, loan)
    Ryan Mason (Doncaster Rovers, loan)
    Jonathan Obika (Yeovil, loan)
    Kyle Naughton (Norwich, loan)
    David Bentley (West Ham, loan)
    Wilson Palacios (Stoke, £8 million)
    Peter Crouch (Stoke, £10 million)
    Alan Hutton (Aston Villa, £4 million)
    Jermaine Jenas (Aston Villa, loan)

Levy pockets another 30 big ones. Add the other 30 from Champions League... we're cash rich!

Everyone's happy except Harry & Modric, that will teach the pair of 'em not to gob off so much!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Sep 06 2011, 21:14

So, we could have afforded Cahill easily. I hope we don't regret that.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 23:57

Not sure baz but i think bolton wanted defoe as part of the deal, harry wasnt keen on that one.

But bolton will lose cahill anyway, and probably on a free.

Unless they are hoping to get half a season out of him , and then flog him in the jan window? value will go down a bit though with only half a seasons contract left.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Sep 07 2011, 01:18

BazSpur wrote:So, we could have afforded Cahill easily. I hope we don't regret that.

Maybe it were his wage demands that were the problem Baz? Cahill is out of contract next season and will be in a similar situation as Judus was a few years back so he demands a slice of the missing transfer fee, to be made up in his wages?

He seems quite composed and the obvious replacement for Ledders but Im not 100% on him ...Seen him get roasted a few times and he's not the quickest out there and his positioning is questionable too.....

But I get your point , even at that crazy price (£15m).I suppose Cahill is value ...I look at Chris Smalling and Phil Jones and their similar prices and for less established center halves too...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04 2024, 14:53