The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
MarkA249
BazSpur
ionman34
LOBO
8 posters

Match Thread Vs QPR

Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs QPR

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 04:56

No. No, No. We had this game buried and should have been looking at goal difference. We got +2 today, we should have had more. When the QPR goal went in the old jitters happened again. Time to drop Adaybayour to the bench and start with Defoe. A good win, yes. Hard earnt, yes. It should have been more convincing IMO . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 04:58

Like Kingy Sky for me Lobs. Sometimes you have suck on the capatalist tit . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 05:36

i thought ade link up was good but he not hittin the ball hard.

vdv played well for 70 mins. lennon 2 assits but did not go down the right in the second half.

like you say vis there was goals in the game but we didnt seem to want to score. they need to be more profosnal

defoe should have come on.

how many blanks is that now for ade.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Mon Oct 31 2011, 05:42

Cant drop Ade just yet. Although I am surprised they didnt bring Defoe on for him. I think Ade still offers us alot. Just a matter of time before he scores and he will be up and running again.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Oct 31 2011, 05:46

i would of brought on defoe last 20 mins, he's hungry for goals, adebayor not looking match fit at times but held the ball up well and should of got at least a goal, just not clinical enough at times. But what a great 1st half, i thought we were excellent and should of been 4 or 5 up. I thought VDV was excellent looked really up for it aswell as Bale excellent game by him. Parker defo MOTM for me always breaking up play and allowing modders to get forward. QPR got on my nerves a bit, scrambling for goals in the box and 1 paid off, but they nearly got another, though Friedel did play well again. Lennon looked a bit better but still not at his best. Overall am well happy with that performance and with that game in hand we can go 3rd a point behind united. COYS.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:04

MOTM for me was Wright-Phillips of QPR . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:22

Loughtonlegend wrote:i thought ade link up was good but he not hittin the ball hard.

vdv played well for 70 mins. lennon 2 assits but did not go down the right in the second half.

like you say vis there was goals in the game but we didnt seem to want to score. they need to be more profosnal

defoe should have come on.

how many blanks is that now for ade.

Yeah but the goals are still going in lought, lacking a little killer instict but it will come, need to improve goal difference with games like this. 4-1 would have been ok.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 06:41

swp was rubbish first half. mom was scott parker
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Mon Oct 31 2011, 07:01

MOTM Runner up for me was................. Ledders lol for, finishing a full 90 and getting up there to set up the Goal.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Oct 31 2011, 17:59

It was great to see Ledders play 90 mins.and we always play with a lot more confidence when he's in the side but will he play next week? I hope so but if not it looks like Gallas is back who is not a Ledders but still not a bad back up.

I know I keep saying it but Parker is magnificent and has made a great difference in the team playing with more confidence. I never doubted for a moment that he would be good for us. We needed him or somebody like him for 2 or 3 seasons now. It's just a shame he's 30. Still he's good for a few more seasons yet. Harry actuall likened him to Dave Mackay what a compliment that is.

The team played some brilliant football yesterday and at times the passing was the best I have seen in the premier from any side.

Mikey M
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Mon Oct 31 2011, 18:02

Well said Mikey.. At the moment other than City we are the form team and were not yet in top gear, Joint 3rd, game in hand could go a point behind United in 2nd. Come on you Spurs
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Mon Oct 31 2011, 18:14

Scotty Parker yesterday was awesome again, as was VDV he covered every blade of grass yesterday. Really really pleased with the performance even tho it should have been 6 or 7. Bring on Big Marts Fulham next week!!

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 18:58

Tottenham 3 - 1 QPR

Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 _56373551_56373550
    Gareth Bale scores his first goal at White Hart Lane since New Year's Day

Gareth Bale scored twice to extend Tottenham's unbeaten run to seven games with victory over Queens Park Rangers.

In a first half dominated by Spurs, the Welshman swept in from 18 yards after Aaron Lennon's clever run and pass.

Rafael van der Vaart then stayed onside to slot past Paddy Kenny when he collected Ledley King's mis-hit shot.

QPR were more positive after the break and substitute Jay Bothroyd headed in, but Bale struck from the edge of the box to seal the win.

The winger's two fine efforts were his first at White Hart Lane since New Year's Day, and the second one was most welcome as it came at a time when the visitors were in the ascendancy.

It took Harry Redknapp's team to fifth in the table, level on points with Chelsea and Newcastle, as they continue to put their poor start to the season well behind them.

Spurs could have been four goals to the good by the break, such was the fluency of their attacking and the willingness they showed to win the ball back.

Van der Vaart drew an early save from the busy Kenny and the Dutchman's free-kick was headed wide by the industrious Emmanuel Adebayor.

Some of the link play from Tottenham's front five, orchestrated by Scott Parker, was a delight to watch but their opener on 20 minutes came from a more direct route.

Brad Friedel's goal-kick was nodded on by Adebayor and after Van der Vaart fed Lennon, who cut in from the right, the Englishman's pass was crashed in by Bale.

The winger almost added to that strike moments later but sent Benoit Assou-Ekotto's cut-back over the bar.

QPR's cause was not helped by an early injury to centre-back Fitz Hall, who was replaced by Danny Gabbidon, but they came up against a Spurs team in a rich vein of form.

There was a touch of fortune to their second goal, though, as King's mis-hit shot fell to the marginally onside Van der Vaart, who made no mistake from 16 yards.

But the build-up to the goal was marked by the hard work of Adebayor, who pinched the ball off Gabbidon as he strode out of defence.

Having failed to see a real effort on target from his side before half-time, QPR boss Neil Warnock opted for a more attacking approach in the second period with Jamie Mackie coming on for Shaun Derry and the disappointing Adel Taarabt replaced by Jay Bothroyd.

With an extra man up front, the changes put more pressure on the Spurs backline and Heidar Helguson had already had a shot deflected wide before the visitors pulled a goal back.

The Iceland international headed a corner goalwards and Bothroyd, from close to the line, nodded in his first goal since the former Cardiff striker joined QPR in the summer.

Van der Vaart continued his personal duel with Kenny, with the QPR keeper coming out on top twice, but the dominance the hosts had shown in the first period had evaporated.

But relief swept round the stadium when Bale swapped passes with Lennon before arching a delightful strike into the top corner from the edge of the box.

This result, with Bale hitting form and a favourable run of games to come, means Spurs will feel their pursuit of a swift return to Champions League football is definitely on course.

QPR boss Neil Warnock:

"We thought [at the break] that we would put two substitutes on. We created chances and gave the fans something to shout. They were a few itchy feet on the Spurs bench at 2-1 and that was pleasing for us.

"I am so pleased that we gave them a game, they were a little nervous at 2-1, but it is difficult at this level and they were better than us today.

"We are learning all the time - when I look back at the Fulham game, we were terrible and let ourselves go, but we have learnt from there and we had character and organisation today. We have just got to stick at it.

"We played with personality in the second half, but in the first half we were a little apprehensive and gave them too much respect."

Analysis by Mark Lawrenson,(BBC Sport football expert)
    Spurs were irresistible and difficult to play against. They attacked from every single area. The way they play and at that kind of pace, it's almost impossible to play against. Harry Redknapp's even got Emmanuel Adebayor making tackles so he must be God.

DID YOU KNOW?
    Rafael van der Vaart's fifth Premier League goal in succession equalled a club record held by Robbie Keane and Teddy Sheringham

TOTTENHAM Vs QPR
    Possession
    Tottenham 58% QPR 42%

Attempts on target
    Tottenham 13 QPR 8

Attempts off target
    Tottenham 9 QPR 4

Corners
    Tottenham 4 QPR 8

Fouls
    Tottenham 12 QPR 14

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 19:08

Harry Redknapp likens Scott Parker to Spurs legend Dave Mackay

Match Thread Vs QPR - Page 2 _56375302_56375215
    Spurs are unbeaten in the Premier League since Parker's debut

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp believes Scott Parker's display in the win over Queens Park Rangers was reminiscent of former Spurs great Dave Mackay.

Two goals from Gareth Bale helped Spurs to victory but Redknapp reserved his greatest praise for the midfielder, 31.

"Parker was just amazing, I haven't seen many displays like that," he said.

"You hate to mention anyone in the same breath as Dave Mackay, who was one of finest players at this club, but it was right up there with the best."

Redknapp added: "Dave would have been proud of that performance. He won every tackle, he broke things up, his all round play was top class. He's made a big difference."

Former Spurs midfielder Mackay, 76, was a talismanic presence at the north London club for nine years, and part of the team that won the league and FA Cup double in 1961.

Parker joined Spurs from West Ham in pre-season for about £5m and since he made his debut against Wolves on 10 September, Redknapp's side have gone on a seven-match unbeaten run in the Premier League - including six wins - that has lifted them to fifth in the table.

Redknapp continued: "I said to the chairman during the summer the one player I wanted was Scott Parker.

"Forget looking for £20m players or anything else, Scott Parker is what we need at this football club. He'll make a difference to this club and this team and that's what he has done."

Welshman Bale was equally effusive about his team-mate.

"Scott has been great for us since he signed," he said. "He has a massive job in the team and he does it better than anyone."

Parker was voted Football Writers' Association Player of the Year for 2010-11, despite being relegated to the Championship with West Ham.

And his performances have seen him re-establish himself as a key part of the England team ahead of the European Championship finals next summer

Who is Dave Mackay?
    Mackay joined Tottenham from Hearts and played 318 games at White Hart Lane between 1959 and 1968.
    A lung-busting Scottish midfielder, he was the heartbeat of Spurs' double-winning team of 1960-61 and won two more FA Cups and a Uefa Cup while at the club.
    He was renowned for his tireless work ethic and fearless attitude.
    Later played for Brian Clough at Derby and ended his playing career at Swindon.
    Replaced Clough as Derby boss and won the Division One title in 1975.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 01 2011, 03:46

It was a great game yesterday first half especially. I think we let them back into it in the second half by taking our foot off the pedal a little and it gave them a bit of confidence. Bales second goal was a cracker. As has been said Scott Parker was different class and was everyone around me's Man Of The Match. Nice to see Ledders play a full game, looked like he'd never been away. VDV had a cracking game and Modric played really well. Downside for me was Ade. He had so many chances to put the ball in the net but fluffed them all winning the ball in the air does not seem to be an option for him but as someone said on the train going back Ade has never been that good at winning the ball in the air. I thought second half the game was crying out for Defoe to come on and run at their defence which was shambolic at times but Arry sat on his hands and dithered again. All in all though good game and we got another 3 points.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 04:00

glad you had a good day. i thought the same. how did he miss that header. defoe pav and sandro should of come on for last 20 mins for parker ade and vdv. freashin things up. ade looked tired and vdv run himself into the ground.

parker was rightly man of the match

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 07:54