The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
weds v paok - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

weds v paok - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
Boltjean
anicoll5
djfitzo
LOBO
shearspur
9 posters

weds v paok

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

weds v paok - Page 2 Empty Re: weds v paok

Post by anicoll5 Thu Dec 01 2011, 09:45

Jeez Lought - you are going to explode with excitement

Thought you had a ticket tonight ? Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 09:56

just peed of that we have the bigest sqaud in the league and we now out of another comp.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Dec 01 2011, 17:30

Same old same old 1. soon as a team puts 10 men behind the ball we cant break them down 2. Arry got his tactics wrong should of brought Bale and Walker on at half time and had Adebayor on the bench too. Lought do we wish Pavy was playing what difference would he of made because we didnt create nothing make your mind up Lought old chap its midfield what was shocking apart from Modric who for some unknown reason was playing too deep scratch didnt create much Livermore was poor Bassong sooner he goes the better Gallas il let him off no pre season needs matches Gomes he could of dived for the first one i think it was savable i should know ex goalkeeper lol! Corluka is so slow its like the slow mo cam is on when seeing him oh well just hope Harry goes for the Fa cup now and top 4 in the league COYS
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:01

Loughtonlegend wrote:our defence was woefull
    i bet everyone on here now wish pav was fit.

That must be why he's so P*ss poor up front .................... He's a fackin' defender innit!

defoe was awfull tonight and pinnar is just a waste of space. i said it when we got him

You also said Taarabt would pull up trees in the Premiership mate. Time has told on that statement. Time will tell on Pienaar too.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:05

I'm actually having a bit of a guffaw at the reactions here. There are few so spectacularly impressive as the armchair managers. It's absolutely staggering just how often you guys get absolutely everything right after the fact, magical even.

Just wish I had these powers of Eagle eyed hindsight, nothing could stop me from TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!!!
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:19

Come on Ion everybody loves to play arm chair managers lol! whats your take on last night?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:01

Here's my take. sh*t.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:53

Tottenham 1 - 2 PAOK Salonika

weds v paok - Page 2 _57051728_57051726
    Spurs relinquished their unbeaten home record in this season's Europa League

Tottenham's Europa League hopes hang by a thread after a controversial defeat by 10-man PAOK Salonika.

The Greek side raced into a 2-0 lead through a Dimitris Salpingidis header and a Stefanos Athanasiadis tap in.

Luka Modric's first-half penalty gave Spurs hope after Kostas Stafylidis was sent off for handling on the line.

Jermain Defoe had a goal ruled out, leaving Spurs needing to beat Shamrock Rovers and rely on Rubin Kazan dropping points in the final group game.

Spurs, who travel to Dublin on 15 December, also need a six-goal swing in goal difference if they are to sneak into the knockout phase, while PAOK - who host Rubin in their final match - have sealed qualification.

But manager Harry Redknapp will bemoan the contentious decision to disallow Defoe's late effort, with confusion reigning over whether it was chalked off for offside or Defoe's late tackle on Pablo Contreras 10 seconds earlier.

With the injured Contreras floored on the line, Spurs played on and scored, only for it to be ruled out after a period of chaotic indecision between the officials.

Redknapp only partially maintained his policy of blooding his youngsters in the Europa League as he sprinkled Modric, Defoe and Aaron Lennon to a team that also included Harry Kane, 18, and Danny Rose, 21.

But Spurs, whose sparkling form has seen them rise to third in the Premier League, looked fragile and languid against PAOK, who carved them open with their first meaningful attack.

William Gallas, making just his second start of the season, overran the ball in his own half and allowed Giorgos Goergiadis to exploit the vacant space down Tottenham's right.

Goergiadis coaxed an inch-perfect cross to Salpingidis, who wrong-footed home goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes with his header.

Spurs controlled possession but looked exposed every time they lost the ball - and were punished again eight minutes later.

Vedran Corluka allowed the lively Goergiadis too much space on the left again, and his low cross was steered in at the far post by Athanasiadis to give PAOK's raucous travelling support even more reason to be heard.

The sight of substitutes Kyle Walker and Gareth Bale warming up on the touchline seemed to give Spurs the jump start they needed, and Defoe and Kane each drew saves out of goalkeeper Kostas Chalkias.

With half time approaching, Spurs were handed the lifeline they needed when Kostas Stafylidis was dismissed when Kane's shot struck the defender's arm on the goalline and Modric calmly stroked in the resulting penalty.

PAOK possessed genuine attacking threats in Goergiadis and Giorgos Fotakis, but their influence diminished as Spurs ramped up the pressure in the second half.

Kane headed over from Rose's cross and Steven Pienaar slammed his shot into the advertising hoardings as Tottenham looked to make their dominance count.

Walker and Bale were introduced to add to some urgency to Tottenham's wing play, but PAOK defended heroically at times, throwing themselves in the way of the ball as Spurs maintained an extraordinary spell of pressure.

The game's defining moment came when Dutch referee Bas Nijhuis ruled out Defoe's effort, leaving Spurs needing an unlikely combination of results to progress.

DID YOU KNOW?
    PAOK met Tottenham's north London rivals Arsenal in the 1997 UEFA Cup first round, winning 1-0 in Salonika then drawing 1-1 in London. That was their only previous tie against an English side
    wurp

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:55

TOTTENHAM Vs PAOK SALONIKA
    Possession
    Tottenham 64% PAOK Salonika 36%

Attempts on target
    Tottenham 9 PAOK Salonika 4

Attempts off target
    Tottenham 10 PAOK Salonika 0

Corners
    Tottenham 11 PAOK Salonika 1

Fouls
    Tottenham 11 PAOK Salonika 9
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:56

Having picked a stronger side I think you took the Greeks a bit too much for granted. The lethargic opening was brutally punished and from the 13th minute it was a hard night.

Having bucked your ideas up you grabbed hold of the game, had a bit of luck with the red card but just could not get the second. Very solid defensive work from the Greeks. A few weeks ago you did the same to Fulham and got away with it.

One of those nights
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:56

My take is this, 3 defenders that could not give a toss and 4 defenders that were woefully unfit.

Charlie and Bassong given up the fight for a first team place and what was Gallas doing losing the ball on the half way line? and Lought you talk absolute rubbish, you make it painfully clear you have you favourites and having a go at Defoe when nobody created any chances for him. Where was Sandro? so light in midfield. Love this kneejerk reaction. So play a full strength team and pick up injuries to key players and go sliding down the prem or give the kids and fringe players time on the pitch to see if they have the talent/gonads to fight for a place in the first eleven. Lets face it nobody wanted to be in this competetion, even Liverpool lost to us at home last season so that did have to play in it. We all knew all along that we were not really interested in doing well in this comp, even Nics been on taking the p**s about us playing in it, but like I said the kids and fringe players have had some game time against teams that have played their strongest squads in every game, what did you expect?

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Dec 01 2011, 22:22

djfitzo wrote:My take is this, 3 defenders that could not give a toss and 4 defenders that were woefully unfit.

Charlie and Bassong given up the fight for a first team place and what was Gallas doing losing the ball on the half way line? and Lought you talk absolute rubbish, you make it painfully clear you have you favourites and having a go at Defoe when nobody created any chances for him. Where was Sandro? so light in midfield. Love this kneejerk reaction. So play a full strength team and pick up injuries to key players and go sliding down the prem or give the kids and fringe players time on the pitch to see if they have the talent/gonads to fight for a place in the first eleven. Lets face it nobody wanted to be in this competetion, even Liverpool lost to us at home last season so that did have to play in it. We all knew all along that we were not really interested in doing well in this comp, even Nics been on taking the p**s about us playing in it, but like I said the kids and fringe players have had some game time against teams that have played their strongest squads in every game, what did you expect?

Lought says would have been different if Pav would have been playing but then says we didnt create anything agree with the above Dave but the fringe players should try for a first team spot or put them selves in the shop window cause potential clubs looking at Charlies Baffoon and Gomes performance will think hang on a min they look like they cant be arsed would they do that at my club if thing arnt going great
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Thu Dec 01 2011, 22:30

Defoe did seem to be feeding on scraps, very little quality ball and he faced banks of Greeks last night. I thought he put in the effort with very little reward.

Criticizing Defoe is a bit like telling Lought his posts are nonsense - if Lought got better service from Vis and Baz they might get better ;o

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Dec 01 2011, 23:02

I understand about putting 4th spot as a priority and for me therein lies the problem with English football now. It's all about the bucks isn't it? It used to be something to win the Eufa Cup or the cup winners cup (No longer with us) or one of our domestic cups and then the money took over. Now the holy grail is getting in the top 4 ffs. No co-incidence that clubs get paid well for getting a top 4 place. So now the money dictates. Top 4 is a must otherwise our revenue diminishes.Never mind that the chances of us winning it are virtually zero. That's OK the money will cushion that fact. So, it's purely to do with the money. Is it any surprise then, when you send 11 players out to play a Europa League game half the team are not interested. They know the club are not really interested, why should they be. Arry isn't interested in it because he wants top 4 and won't risk injury. He might just as well come out and tell the truth instead of standing before the camera's saying "Of course we're going to give it a good go, we want to win it" Now, I'm sure Arry does want to win it but not at the expense of top 4. So, inevitably the Europa can go f*ck itself. I hate the way football has gone. I yearn for the old days when pulling on the shirt actually meant more than the money you were paid. Yes, I know you shouldn't look back but I can see the sport I love having the beating heart ripped from it's chest and I hate it. The money men are in control now and I fear for what the future holds. A European League is on the way mark my words and god knows what will become of the game then. Only the really elite clubs will be able to join and f*ck the rest. Maybe that will work out better. Let them P*ss off and the ones that are left might bring football back to the real football fans. Something Jim said on facebook after last night's debacle "We took the P*ss out of this competition and it took the P*ss right back" Absolutely.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Dec 01 2011, 23:05

anicoll5 wrote:Defoe did seem to be feeding on scraps, very little quality ball and he faced banks of Greeks last night. I thought he put in the effort with very little reward.

Criticizing Defoe is a bit like telling Lought his posts are nonsense - if Lought got better service from Vis and Baz they might get better ;o

Quite right too Nic. I'll give myself extra training in an effort to make sure Lought gets better service. VIS? Extra training Tuesday nights son. Wink
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu Dec 01 2011, 23:26

Yeah, and I was one of the mugs who went thinking we might give it a go.best excitement was the tension between supporters before and after.ain't seen so many police for years. Paok got quite a following .pretty intimidating. Few scuffles after.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Thu Dec 01 2011, 23:35

Lets face it if we don't get champions league this season (I believe we will) this team, which is growing together, will break up and several players will move on to clubs in it. The money TV has poured into the game will kill it and Baz is right, a european league is almost inevitable for those elite clubs. But will that in itself kill the game because who will want to watch the same teams playing each other week after week with no promotion/relegation to vary it and then when people stop watching televised games the money goes. What then.
    I've been to a couple of Barnets games this year and must admit have enjoyed the grass roots feel to them with the players seeming to enjoy themselves more than their premiership counterparts.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:10

Hopefully the game will go back to the grass roots if a European League is set up. You will have the same clubs dominating any European League which will become very boring very quickly I would have thought. As I say those left will hopefully enjoy a closer relationship with grass roots fans. I have been to a few Wrexham games as I live some 20 miles from the ground and like you Shear I really enjoyed it. It's a totally different type of atmosphere. The supporters are really into the club in a personal way. The enthusiasm is totally different in my opinion and I find the supporters very friendly.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:16

Unfortunately its a problem every team is faced with, how do you keep quality players happy when they dont play? For every team vying for champs league spots you need a large squad and balancing those players is very difficult. What I saw was fringe defenders giving up the fight for first team football. Pienaar did have a poor game, but a lot of that was not down to effort, but anxiety in pleasing the crowd faithful, who were not sure of him in the first place.

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:37

Seems to me too many fans, at too many clubs, are only too happy to put the boot into players. Take the player who is part of the squad but not a first choice, sits on the bench, comes on as sub as required, but then gets his chance - first start of the season - big night, tricky opposition

And lo and behold he makes a mistake

Do the faithful fans cut him a bit of slack - say never mind mate you need a few games to get really sharp ?

Do they f*ck - sell the useless b*stard in January
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:44

anicoll5 wrote:Seems to me too many fans, at too many clubs, are only too happy to put the boot into players. Take the player who is part of the squad but not a first choice, sits on the bench, comes on as sub as required, but then gets his chance - first start of the season - big night, tricky opposition

And lo and behold he makes a mistake

Do the faithful fans cut him a bit of slack - say never mind mate you need a few games to get really sharp ?

Do they f*ck - sell the useless b*stard in January

Or Nic, do some deserve it? Going to the papers and moaning instead of knuckling down and taking their chance.

Take Bassong, culpable for the Rubin goal that put us in this position and lacks the backbone to be even a quality
    replacement.

Kaboul was not first choice when he came back and through hard work and taking his chance is now first on the team sheet in my opinion.

As you say all teams are gulity of it and having sat at the Emirates at the barcodes game last year, even Wilshere and Fabregas came in for stick from so called supporters behind me and the joker that gave a w**ker sign to the pitch on his exit at least 5 minutes before the end needs banning from the ground.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:53

BazSpur wrote:
    anicoll5 wrote:Defoe did seem to be feeding on scraps, very little quality ball and he faced banks of Greeks last night. I thought he put in the effort with very little reward.

Quite right too Nic. I'll give myself extra training in an effort to make sure Lought gets better service. VIS? Extra training Tuesday nights son. Wink

Sorry Governor can't do Tuesdays. I have to have me hair extensions & Bentley waxed . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 01:12

Ok let's look at last nights game. I'm disapointed to say the least as I thought this was a competition we could do well in but the decision to play fringe & youngsters is a, imo, correct one over-all. The likes of Kane & Rose, Livermore & Falque et al gaining big game, heated atmosphere experience. The fringe and returning crooks also need "proper" game time.
    When I saw Gomes in goal I straight away got that nervous, twitchy feeling that seemed to have dissapeered since Friedels arrival.
    Rose was caught out of posistion far too often but the lad is still learning his trade & should have learnt a lot from last night.
    Corluka looked his usual slow & steady self.
    Gallas, so far away from fitness but as I have said he needs game time to get it back.
    Bassong was a brave decision to be made captain in this comp but I don't feel the lad will ever make it at the highest levels.
    Livermore had possibly the worst game I have seen him play for us but I don't mean that as criticism as even the likes of Messi can have an off 'un from time to time.
    Pienaar was abysmyl for me. OK I hear the shouts of he needs game time as well and that is fair but 45 minutes should have been enough for him last night. His confidence is shot and I don't think we will ever see the best of him in a Spurs shirt. I don't take pleasure from criticising Spurs players but on last nights performence he isn't a player we need at the club.
    Lennon was eager and active.
    Modric was excellent but seemed to be tring to carry the team on his own. All over the pitch and was doubtless missing the security of Parker. Cool head for the pen.
    Kane tried his best & worked harder then I have seen other strikers at the club do. Possibly missed a sitter but then so do all strikers.
    Defoe worked hard and was unlucky with his "goal".

So over-all, again imo, about the best we could hope for from this side. 2 soft goals let us down. PAOK then defended resolutely and hung on for a deserved win . . . .

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Dec 02 2011, 01:29

One big miss last night was a denfensive midfielder, anyone know if Sandro was injured, in the first 20 minutes they cut through the middle like knife through butter last night.

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Dec 02 2011, 01:53

To be honest Dave I don't know whether they do "deserve" it.

If you are a footballer who is not interested in playing the the easiest thing in the world is to get that point across in training, or to pick up that ever so difficult to explain little niggle, and spend the evening on the bench or at home with your foot on a cushion.

The one's whop get on the pitch usually are there cos they want to be there

As I say what baffles me is the thinking of fans. We all know it is a squad game, and in a squad you have first name on the team sheet stars and you have lesser players who are on standby to cover, without these journeymen the stars would have to play 60 games a season.

If a star has a bad game then it is very rare they get any stick from fans.

If a back up player comes on for a rare game then god help em if they mess up - not good enough, sell him, not fit to wear the shirt etc.

No patience at all - everything is now , now , now

Baz was reflecting on what has changed in football for the worse

Well one thing that has changed is the hysterical demands of fans for instant gratification week after week

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02 2024, 13:15