The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Just what are Tottenham playing at? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Just what are Tottenham playing at? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
djfitzo
BazSpur
6 posters

Just what are Tottenham playing at?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Just what are Tottenham playing at? Empty Just what are Tottenham playing at?

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 02 2012, 06:38

Just what are Tottenham playing at?

Just what are Tottenham playing at? Avatar-9
    Date: 1st February 2012 at 7:00 pm
    Written by James McManus

Follow this writer

Just what are Tottenham playing at? 03.-Ryan-Nelsen-300x180In a slower than expected transfer
    deadline day, a few late moves managed to catch the imagination, but
    perhaps not quite in the way that you’d first imagine, most notably
    Spurs moves for Louis Saha
    and Ryan Nelsen. Redknapp stated earlier on in the window that he’d
    only move for a ‘special’ player, but there must have been a few worried
    glances and eyebrows raised at the clubs business, which can best be
    characterised as just plain odd.

It’s fair to say that no matter what business the club did in
    January, they still remain on course to comfortably finish third in the
    league. They remain seven points ahead of a struggling Chelsea side, but crucially, they sit just five points behind Manchester City and United.

On the Match of the Day sofa last week, after Spurs were
    dealt a crushing last minute defeat away at Manchester City after an
    earlier setback in the 1-1 home draw to Wolves,
    messrs Hansen and Dixon declared with an astonishingly premature degree
    of certainty that Spurs were now out of the title race.

The club’s first slip-ups in months saw them written off. Harshly
    dealt with, Spurs are far from out of the title race as yet. In a season
    as unpredictable as this, Hansen in particular needs to adjust his view
    of the Premier League – where once the destination of the title was
    decided byhow you performed against your closest rivals, now it has to
    be measured as much upon how you do against the rest of the league. This
    is what makes their transfer dealings all the more baffling.

In short, they’ve signed a 34 year-old centre back and a 33 year-old
    striker, both with a long and documented history of knee problems.
    Nelsen has started just one league game since last April because of his
    injury issues and Saha now casts a shadow of the his former self –
    devoid of any pace he once had, lacking any semblence of a professional
    footballers first touch and with just one league goal in 18 appearances
    this season for Everton.

The Saha move in particular was a baffling one. He arrives on an
    18-month contract, with Roman Pavlyuchenko set for a move back to Russia
    with Lokomotiv Moscow. The Russian transfer window still has another
    three weeks left before it shuts, so there is no immediete rush for any
    deal to be closed, but why let the Russian go at all? Are there surely
    not better alternatives than Saha if the club do need to sign another
    striker?

Redknapp has struggled to juggle three strikers and Rafael Van Der Vaart all season. Second-choice Jermain Defoe
    has been prolific when he’s been called upon but even his selection is
    far from assured. With the Pavlyuchenko transfer, the club look set to
    recoup £8m of the £14m forked out for him in 2008, however, the Saha
    switch is most certainly a trade-down in terms of quality.

The club also loaned out Sebastian Bassong to Wolves, a central
    defender that’s been making his fare share of fuss over his lack of
    first-team opportunities of late. Nelsen, if he was ever fit, would have
    been an astute signing, but he’s simply not, so it remains a pointless
    one, even if it is just for six months with an option to extend for a
    further year. There are rumours that Blackburn
    even paid their former captain to leave the club in an effort to save
    money on his wages – surely that tells you everything that you need to
    know about his injury situation.

The Steven Pienaar deal has been in the rumour mills for a while now,
    but even so, he sat on the bench during last night’s game with Wigan, so the club up until that point must have thought that any deal was dead in the water.

Spurs then moved for Milos Krasic, the Serbian international and
    Juventus winger – a player whose pacy, direct style would have been
    ideally suited to the Premier League, as a replacement for the outgoing
    Pienaar, but he turned down the move. So why if the club failed to get a
    replacement, was Pienaar allowed to leave on loan to Everton for the
    rest of the campaign regardless?

Redknapp stated on January 14th that: “I wouldn’t want to let him
    (Pienaar) go. He is a good player. I brought him on for the last 10
    minutes (in Tottenham‘s
    2-0 win) against Everton on Wednesday and he didn’t give the ball away.
    I don’t have any need to weaken the squad. I would rather have a good
    squad for last 18 matches of the season than let one or two go who could
    play a part in the run-in.”

Can anyone actually, with all honesty, believe anything that comes
    out of Redknapp’s mouth? What has changed since the Everton game to
    facilitate such a last-ditch move? If he were an American politician,
    Redknapp would be known as the worst flip-flopper ever to grace
    Washington.

It’s like the club does transfer business for the sake of doing
    transfer business. Redknapp has a compulsion to be involved in the
    transfer market, even when it’s abundantly clear to everyone else that
    this squad doesn’t need tampering with. The club has arguably the
    strongest squad, barring Manchester City’s, in the entire league. There
    is literally no weak element. So by signing two hugely injury-prone and
    ageing players and letting go of two better quality and most
    importantly, fit players, Redknapp has only served to make the squad
    weaker than before the window opened.

As I contested earlier on, the title is not yet out of Spurs reach,
    despite the laughable suggestion that they are out of the running by the
    Match of the Day team. In the next two months they face a tricky run of fixtures which includes Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all away from home, and Manchester United and Newcastle at White Hart Lane, but should they go on another decent run, they are more than capable of crashing the party come May time.

With that in mind, would it not have made more sense that if the club
    were to be involved in the transfer market at all this window, it would
    be to sign players that could perhaps force their way into the starting
    line-up. They are just five points off the summit, so a concerted push
    wouldn’t have been for nothing; instead all we are dealt with is a sense
    of intrigue as to what the thought process was behind such deals. This
    window, like so many before them, will go down as a missed opportunity
    for Spurs, not only for the deals they did do, but also for the ones
    that they didn’t.

You can follow me on Twitter @JamesMcManus1

Just what are Tottenham playing at? Empty Re: Just what are Tottenham playing at?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 07:07

bang on
    we could of got someone specal
    remy would of come if we brought him but we only wanted to loan him
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Just what are Tottenham playing at? Empty Re: Just what are Tottenham playing at?

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 02 2012, 09:49

Cobblers. It's all other the press that marseille turned down I big offer from us. I took the trouble to write quite a few paragraphs on the January transfer window and why we have ended where we are. I thought Saha is on a six month loan initially and if he joins nelson on the same, yet this geezer is bang on according to lought, yet no comment on my post on the deadline earlier, I thought my appraisal of our dealings was more realistic and my reasons more in tune with what actually happened than yet another "let's go out and get players that noone will sell us" attitude. Still the president of marseille is lying and lought is privvy to info the whole world don't know about.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:22

why have a pop at me i didnt start the thread

the season we got 4th we didnt buy anyone and that cost us as we didnt get 4th the season after.

now we have a chance to win the league and we buy to injuird players lol

i think levy dont want to give the kitty money to harry in case he leaves us
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:42

Loughtonlegend wrote:bang on
    we could of got someone specal
    remy would of come if we brought him but we only wanted to loan him

You do talk wet sometimes.

It has actually been a sensible piece of business by Spurs this time. Nelsen has been brought in to replace our 5TH CHOICE Centre Half and, despite his age, is a solid, reliable presence who will be content to play a bit part role.

Saha is on loan for 3 months and has been brought in as a stop gap until the Summer WHERE WE WILL BE BUYING REMY.

The Marseille Chairman is on record as stating that we have made an 18 million pound bid for Remy but they will not sell him until the Summer.

Sensible business undertaken to strengthen us temporarily in our run in rather than spend stupid just because a few blow hards want to see 'A Big Name' arrive. Honestly, the likes of you would be prepared to bankrupt the club just so you can see your whims catered to.

This whole article has been written by just one such of those blowhards who think that the key to success is spelt S.P.E.N.D.

Thank Christ Levy knows what he is doing.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 17:31

Ion, the january transfer window is a waste of time, and just fills the usual suspects on here with hope of a big name signing.
    There are no outstanding players available to buy at this time of the year, we did apparently make good offers but no club mid season wants to weaken their teams by selling.
    What we did was get rid of players that were unhappy, pav, bassong and pienaar just arent good enough to dislodge those ahead of them, at this moment in time, and retaining the thought that we can still win the title we dont need moaners and whingers saying harry has given them a raw deal, or ignores them, they were part of a large squad and not everyone can play.
    I posted a while back that there was no point in adding to the transfer bollox because we wouldnt be doing much, but we still get those thinking we should have signed remy and marin et al ! it just was never going to happen.
    15 games to go and there is really no on we should fear, we have man utd at home who i think are scrambling results to stay with city, i am not afraid of arsenal or chelsea away, maybe only liverpool away could we slip up on if they continue their little run of form.
    I think we can still win or get closer to the top 2, and i think saha has his part to play, it was only ever going to be a short term signing, but at least pav isnt in the mix anymore.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Feb 02 2012, 19:01

My only worry is Arry in is interview after the wigan match saying we didnt have the Money to buy Krasic 15 million. or did he mean he didnt want to pay 15 mil for him if we have no money where has it gone Crouch and Palcios went for 18 mil Pav for 11 not to mention Money for the euro shite. It could all be a smoke screen for a busy summer if saha dosent earn a deal and we dont sign ade on perm we will be left with just Defoe Remy ? Damiao ? or by the way Leandro Diamiao is red hot on football manager banged 50 goals in for my tottenham team first season lol!
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 02 2012, 20:00

Loughtonlegend wrote:why have a pop at me i didnt start the thread

the season we got 4th we didnt buy anyone and that cost us as we didnt get 4th the season after.

now we have a chance to win the league and we buy to injuird players lol

i think levy dont want to give the kitty money to harry in case he leaves us

No, but your supporting it with your bang on.

I listed many reasons why we didnt buy (did anyone?) but you chose to ignore it as usual, but back another numpty that
    gives us this fickle badge, in case you missed it, i will summarize just for you!!

we shifted unhappy players that never played anyway (dispite injuries)and kept players like Kranj that actual gets his nut down and wants to play for us.

we brought in two experienced prem players on loans until the end of the season, we havent actually paid anything other than wages for them.

we didnt go mad on paying silly money on defenders, because we have Naughton and Caulker to come back and I believe that Gallas
    will leave in the summer for the MLS or Arab team for one last payday. Why lose two very good prem experience players just to appease the likes of you and other supporters of the get your cheque book out brigade.

As ive said and Ion alluded to, we WILL make another attempt to sign Remy in the summer and maybe a couple others when their current teams have achieved or not what they set out to do and we can offer them Champions League football, which I and many believe is for only us to miss out on.

Then you drag out the when we was 4th nonsense, were we 7 points ahead of Chelski and 12 ahead of Arsenal then?

I seem to remember a difficult run in then, we have Pool,a*se and Chelski away, which we are capable of taking points from all those,
    Manure at home, again not as difficult as it used to be.

Manure and Citeh have Europa league to contend with and Arsenal and Chelski Champs League to fit in, so why panic and pay sill money just to get "a name" in when as explained above, not neccessary.

Do I get a bang on now?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:27

Bang on Dave.

C
    an I just re-iterate once again I don't necessarily agree with articles I post. It's just a discussion point and to get another point of view.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:47

BazSpur wrote:Bang on Dave.

C
    an I just re-iterate once again I don't necessarily agree with articles I post. It's just a discussion point and to get another point of view.

Thanks Baz, spose you will get a picture of sheep posted soon!!

Youd have thought that years of panic buying would stop people posting nonsense.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:57

Bang on from me as well, Can anyone think of a big January signing making an instant impact. Remember last year, Torres, Carroll, Dzeko, Luiz all of whom struggled. Lought will no doubt say Darren Bent and He is the possible exception, but generally players take time to settle and it's only the following season that they begin to fit in.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 02 2012, 23:08

[quote="seebee1944"]

Bang on from me as well, Can anyone think of a big January signing making an instant impact. Remember last year, Torres, Carroll, Dzeko, Luiz all of whom struggled. Lought will no doubt say Darren Bent and He is the possible exception, but generally players take time to settle and it's only the following season that they begin to fit in.

Thats if you can buy them in the first place Seebee, most clubs will not sell at such a crucial time of the season and then only if its silly money.
    I see Saha and Nelson as shrewd moves that will see us to at least 3rd spot and come the summer and we have a realistic chance of getting someone decent, coupled with the return of Naughton,Caulker and a fully fit Hudd, we can then make a decision.

Does anyone remember Nouridine Naybet? most questioned that deal and even at his age, he was outstanding and his experience was invaluable.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 02 2012, 23:48

djfitzo wrote:

Does anyone remember Nouridine Naybet? most questioned that deal and even at his age, he was outstanding and his experience was invaluable.

Remember him as being the experience that took Ledders to the next level. Sure King had everything in his repertoire, but Naybet was the one who showed him how to put it all together.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Feb 03 2012, 00:31

djfitzo wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:Bang on Dave.

C

Thanks Baz, spose you will get a picture of sheep posted soon!!

Youd have thought that years of panic buying would stop people posting nonsense.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Feb 03 2012, 00:53

ionman34 wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:

Remember him as being the experience that took Ledders to the next level. Sure King had everything in his repertoire, but Naybet was the one who showed him how to put it all together.

I think his first game was against the Pool, his positioning was uncanny.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 03:15

untill naybet had to fast for Ramadan naybet was a good player

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 03:15

remy said we could of brought him but we only wanted to loan him
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Feb 03 2012, 11:50

Loughtonlegend wrote:remy said we could of brought him but we only wanted to loan him

18 million bid ought, officially announced. I think he will be a Lillywhite in the Summer as it seems he wants to be here.

Having said that, watch the dippers try to buy him out from under us. A quality scouting network have the Scouse............. It's called Tottenham Hotspur.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 13:41

thinking about it ion saha a decent player to add to the sqaud.
    i think pav did have a bust up thats why we was forced to buy someone on the last day.

then it looks like we wil get remy in the summer i just hope its done early before the euros
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Feb 03 2012, 23:19

ionman34 wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:remy said we could of brought him but we only wanted to loan him

18 million bid ought, officially announced. I think he will be a Lillywhite in the Summer as it seems he wants to be here.

Having said that, watch the dippers try to buy him out from under us. A quality scouting network have the Scouse............. It's called Tottenham Hotspur.

Funny as f*ck
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat Feb 04 2012, 03:48

Saha has been playing the lone striker role for some time with Everton so this is good for Adebayor who I believe has put in some serious hard graft in his performances but they've tailed off a tad ..

It's also good in the fact if our forward is subbed, we can still play the lone striker formation without to much disruption..

I'm pretty sure Saha is looking forward to playing alongside gifted talents, the likes of Bale , VDV and Modric after four seasons being in a side of grafters..

If he has some playing time , stays injury free then he could get us a half a dozen or so goals and be with us next season too ... Big opportunity for him at 33 years of age , a chance I'm sure he wasn't expecting...

As for Ryan Nelsen, he will have to put in some stellar performances to get a contract for next season. I'm not sure he's up to it as he's not played many games for Blackburn in the past year due to a dodgy knee... I guess its a wait and see...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07 2024, 04:44