The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Good Season? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Good Season? - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
nhg72
Boltjean
seebee1944
LOVELOVEROCKET
shearspur
BazSpur
10 posters

Good Season?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Good Season? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Season?

Post by BazSpur Fri May 24 2013, 07:37

Don't think we had Sandro for half the season Mikey. I thought it was a couple of Months. Difficult for AVB as I always said it was a transitionary season and let's face it he got the most points we have ever got in the Prem. We finished one point behind the a*se-anal and they weren't any better than us to be honest. We beat Man U, City, Arsenal, and drew with Chelski at the bridge. We could have done better against lower opposition but that's the way it goes. I'll agree with you about Levy and for me there is the crux of the problem. if we really want to get to the next level he MUST back AVB with transfers but I won't hold my breath as he fails to deliver every close season by always looking for the cheap option. I think some of the football we played this season has been very good. The difference between AVB and Arry is that we look more structured now. Redknapp and his "Just run around a bit" Was not structured in any way or form. AVB has added a determination and steel that we have lacked for years and yes sometimes it don't look pretty. That is sometimes the price you have to pay.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri May 24 2013, 08:13

BazSpur wrote:Don't think we had Sandro for half the season Mikey. I thought it was a couple of Months. Difficult for AVB as I always said it was a transitionary season and let's face it he got the most points we have ever got in the Prem. We finished one point behind the a*se-anal and they weren't any better than us to be honest. We beat Man U, City, Arsenal, and drew with Chelski at the bridge. We could have done better against lower opposition but that's the way it goes. I'll agree with you about Levy and for me there is the crux of the problem. if we really want to get to the next level he MUST back AVB with transfers but I won't hold my breath as he fails to deliver every close season by always looking for the cheap option. I think some of the football we played this season has been very good. The difference between AVB and Arry is that we look more structured now. Redknapp and his "Just run around a bit" Was not structured in any way or form. AVB has added a determination and steel that we have lacked for years and yes sometimes it don't look pretty. That is sometimes the price you have to pay.

Manure played the most boring football I can remember a Manc team playing in years, yet they skated the prem, Cheatski won the Champs League by playing the most boring negative football I've ever seen. It's all very noble played open free flowing football and I at times we played that, coupled with a steely determination to win. Harry inherited a very good team shorn of confidence and lets face it, normally that's what his good at. Trouble was after that when tactics came into it, he was found wanting. Like it or not, AVB did not have a full preseason with a full squad of players and certainly not ones he would have chosen. Not once have you heard him make excuses, got on with it, praised the players and forged a unity not seen at Spurs for years.Lets just see how Levy backs him and how he gets on with a full preseason and a squad that he wants.

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 08:51

i think last season sandro couldnt get into the team untill parker got injuird.

i think our problem is when bale plays where he wants.
    it affects the team.

and its true we have one of the best keepers and we had on paper good defence but hardly ever keep clean sheets.

next season hopefully get in a few players. not many.

kaboul and sandro back will make a big differnce and like baz said. we have got the most points ever and thats with this team

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 08:52

plus another thing we never know when we are beating.
    we scored so many goals because we dont give up anymore.

i perfer starting bad and finnish strong opposed to starting really well and being fkd after 60 mins.

im so looking forward to next season but please levy get us a decent forward
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri May 24 2013, 16:00

Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards, so to speak.

We have sacrificed much of the flair of last season, mostly due to the creativity we lost, but become far more resilient, particularly squad wise.

For me, you need to build that resilience first then introduce the flair in increments. The basis is there, it just needs the finishing touch that 2 or 3 additions will bring.

The ethos is evident, within the club, just by looking at the youth players and the style they now play in.

It is also well to bear in mind that we gained 72 points without really hitting our straps.

The building blocks are almost there, there is a solidity that is a great base for the flair we all love and are justified in expecting. I say justified because I can see it and look forward to it all coming to fruition.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri May 24 2013, 16:21

ionman34 wrote:Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards, so to speak.

We have sacrificed much of the flair of last season, mostly due to the creativity we lost, but become far more resilient, particularly squad wise.

For me, you need to build that resilience first then introduce the flair in increments. The basis is there, it just needs the finishing touch that 2 or 3 additions will bring.

The ethos is evident, within the club, just by looking at the youth players and the style they now play in.

It is also well to bear in mind that we gained 72 points without really hitting our straps.

The building blocks are almost there, there is a solidity that is a great base for the flair we all love and are justified in expecting. I say justified because I can see it and look forward to it all coming to fruition.

That is what I said earlier, at times this season we did show flair and imagination, but rarely got beat by 2 clear goals, evidence of the never say die attitude we have now. The unity is so plain to see, the last season under Harry the players on the bench had faces like smacked a*ses and were often going to the press moaning, contrast that with this season, there all cheering the team on and have nothing but praise for AVB. I know Danny Rose has had a bit of a pop, but give him an hours chat with AVB and I'm sure he will talk him round. So, dissappointed, yes, but more then happy with the building blocks that have been placed for next season and I can't wait!

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri May 24 2013, 20:39

Yep, I think we will see more of the football we love ion. However I think and hope AVB won't sacrifice the steel he has injected into the team. That is something that has been missing for years.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri May 24 2013, 21:52

BazSpur wrote:Yep, I think we will see more of the football we love ion. However I think and hope AVB won't sacrifice the steel he has injected into the team. That is something that has been missing for years.

I really don't see that being the case Baz.

He seems to be instilling a serious work ethic into them, which they are buying because they can see real tangible results.

Wendy was a serious tachtician and believed in the same ethic AVB does. The big difference is that AVB treats with the players on a far more personal level. The players have responded to this, are believing more and more in his ethos and, I believe, will come out next season a far more polished article. Add in those essential players, and give them a decent preseason to gel, and I honestly believe we will mount a serious title challenge.

A fit Kaboul and Sandro will almost seem like new signings, instantly strengthening us,not to mention Dembele being able to get his hip sorted. Vertonghen goes into his second season with us, also Siggy and Dempsey, who will improve in their second season IMO.

God squad depth that needs augmenting. Nothing wrong with the mindset, just a little more quality needed to turn this from a good team to a great one.

2 strikers, 1 playmaker for me. I'd stick Are in as outside left, put Bale on the right, stick a striker in between them, then coach them both to roam and find pockets of space, but always looking to find that space to either feed the striker or to zone in on goal themselves. The 4-3-3 would see intelligent movement around a central striker that should pull defence around and create overloads. The playmaker then has to hit these spaces. He is essential really to the finished article we're looking for. I think this may contribute to our seeming lack of viable targets. Intelligent passers of the ball, those who can see the move two moves before everyone else, that also have the ability to create a situation themselves, are rare as hens teeth really, rarer when you consider the limited resources we have. But essential he is, as is an intelligent striker. If we only make 2 signings this Summer, I hope it is those 2 positions. A second striker would be nice, because Defoe, I think, just won't cut it in that formation as the central striker. I love the guy but he needs to be replaced IMO.

Augment that with the talent coming through and I feel we'll be a force, especially as there will be some upheaval to all around, even with their spending power.

2 astute buys mate, not far off really are we?
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by LOVELOVEROCKET Fri May 24 2013, 22:57

only 2 i will like 3/4 least and thats just to get 4th/

not thinking on winning prem by only getting 2 players.

then we just talking only going for 4th. realistic .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat May 25 2013, 01:52

I'd like to see a couple of strikers coming in as I really don't think Ade can cut it. Yes, he holds the ball but his lack of goals is a problem. I agree with ion I don't think we need wholesale changes especially as Kaboul and Sandro will be back next season.

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 03:20

defoe has to go. he offers nothing.

ade should stay and get someone else in aswell
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat May 25 2013, 05:04

As I said in my post on this topic, we keep dropping points to teams we should be beating, Norwich, Fulham, Stoke etc, these are teams that look on a successful season as finishing 10th. 5 points from a possible 24 against these teams is abysmall, and is one of the major reasons we miss out season after season on a Champions League place. I would rather loose to the gooners and pick up max points against these sides that should be there to enable us to achieve the hights we want to achieve. We could have and should have not been fighting to beat the gooners to the Champions League spot, but fighting Chelsea for third place, and may even have finished runners up to United had it not been for our poor performances against sides fighting to avoid relegation. I can cope loosing to the likes of United and City, but I feel so annoyed when we loose to teams like Norwich and Wigan when I know full well these are games we should be winning quite comefortably. We I believe are so close to becoming a side capable of challenging the big three, I have not included the gooners in this statement as I do not think they are any better than us, infact we should have left them standing in the race for fourth position. If we can hang onto Bale, and as many of you have said, bring in a prolific goalscorer we will be there. My only worry is, we will not be the only club trying to strengthen there squads, your Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton and Newcastle will probably spend big during the summer, so they will probably close the gap between us and them.

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 06:13

bang on. to drop as many points as we do to these teams is not right.

last 2 seasons at home we havent beatin wigan. a team with the worst defensive record

then qpr away both games at loftus road we have not scored a goal...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 05 2024, 15:42