The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Apart from the money ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Apart from the money ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Apart from the money ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Apart from the money ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Apart from the money ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Apart from the money ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Apart from the money ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Apart from the money ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Apart from the money ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Apart from the money ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
cynicsid
6 posters

Apart from the money !

Apart from the money ! Empty Apart from the money !

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 03:04

Dont know if anyone else views the champions league the way i do but i really think its vastly overated...........................apart from the money of course lol! a load of the teams in there are on sufferage only ! the competition is only ever going to be won by an english,spanish or italian side, or who,s got the most money to buy the worlds best, and some of the foreign teams in there wouldnt finish 10th in the prem............so for that reason alone i believe a massive overhaul of the comp should be made.

To tell the honest truth i never really thought about the cl until we were in it, but after saying we wont win it i beleve we have as much chance as the goons, i really think we are more than a match for them.

I am not downgrading the cl at all, its just that results like the barcelona one, and the goons braga game shows you the gulf that actually exists in the teams contesting it.

Fulham or liverpool would have given the goons and barce a better game than that.

Just a thought lads ! lol!

Last edited by lewspurs on Sat Sep 18 2010, 06:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing word)
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Apart from the money ! Empty Re: Apart from the money !

Post by cynicsid Sat Sep 18 2010, 03:42

Exactly!! But the money's good.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 05:19

i been saying for the last 4 seasons there to many poor teams in the comp. they should get rid of some of them. and get rid of the stupid draw where teams cant play each other in the group stages

make it al random. that way man u or the goons mite get a hard draw like barce in the groups

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 05:45

Rep point lought for seeing my point of view..............now taarabt ? lol! lol! lol! only a joke lought ! dont want to go down that road again..... afro

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 06:05

hes doing wonders since warnoc taken over. top of the league. when was the last time a spurs loan player got so much praise. he should be in the sqaud ahead of gio whos done zilch in a spurs shirt
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 18 2010, 06:12

Too late Lew lol.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 06:13

Loughtonlegend wrote:hes doing wonders since warnoc taken over. top of the league. when was the last time a spurs loan player got so much praise. he should be in the sqaud ahead of gio whos done zilch in a spurs shirt

I think a lot of that is down to warnock lought ! i like old neil, and of course adel wants to prove a few people wrong, but warnock can motivate players.

Dont know about gio, i think he has been around long enough to have made an impression but there are so many others ahead of him at the moment.....carling cup here we come i think for gio !

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 06:41

BazSpur wrote:Too late Lew lol.

lol! Baz !

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 07:29

Lew you say England, Spain Or Italy ? My friend look to the Germans and their set-up. I can see Germany & the German domestic sides dominating football for a few years to come. Also I agree with you guys, do away with the mini-league format and go back to a 64 team knock-out, home & away cup competition where any team can play any other team. Then we may see the true Champions of Europe . . . . . . . . . ..
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 18 2010, 08:36

Yes Vis, I agree mate can't stand all this qualifying sh*t and group stages and bollox.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Sep 18 2010, 12:37

We had this conversation a few seasons back when we just missed out on the CL. Many on here were saying that they didn't think we were ready and that the Europa Cup, as it's now known, was the standard we were ready for. I disagreed with that for the same reasons cited here.

We are more than good enough to go a good distance in the CL and can count only a handful of teams who would really stretch us to the limit.

This is why it's imperative to me that we treat it as the bonus rather than the Grail. It's there to swell the coffers and provide a little added Glory, but the domestic league is the true Grail, it takes precedence over everything.

Liverpool forgot this and have paid the price now.

Look at Chelsea and Utd in the last games, SAF 'rested' 10 players from their game at Everton. 10 first team regulars. Chelsea rested key players and still got 4.

We MUST do the same and look on the CL as a wonderful bonus for a season of hard graft, but that's it. Our goal is the title in England and NOTHING should distract us from that, particularly if a good performance in the CL costs us in the league.

Now, more than ever, it is imperative for us to consolidate that top 4 position and kick on to be serious title challengers, that way CL will be guaranteed.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 16:50

VisionarySound wrote:Lew you say England, Spain Or Italy ? My friend look to the Germans and their set-up. I can see Germany & the German domestic sides dominating football for a few years to come. Also I agree with you guys, do away with the mini-league format and go back to a 64 team knock-out, home & away cup competition where any team can play any other team. Then we may see the true Champions of Europe . . . . . . . . . ..

Cant dispute that vis ! the germans do have a chance but i think maybe we are looking at barcelona, real madrid and chelsea etc etc to be there when the heat turns up, i think also that we can go a lot further than people think ! as i said we have an equal chance with the goons and now i think man utd because they arent the same force they were a couples of seasons back, the loss of ronaldo and injuries have taken a toll in my opinion.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Sep 18 2010, 21:21

I'm certain that Platini wanted to reduce the number of teams from 4 to 3 , the CL for me is chance for so called smaller teams to take on the so called big teams for the biggest trophy in world club football qualifying alone is worth 25 mill to ever club , to reduce teams and say sorry this is a rich mens club from now on would be unfair & unjust

at the end of the day it don't matter who we play, i think every team that qualifies for the CL does so on merrit , i would hate to see the current set up changed, if its not broken why try to fix it .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 18 2010, 21:39

Can't argue with that ion.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 22:44

LOBO wrote:I'm certain that Platini wanted to reduce the number of teams from 4 to 3 , the CL for me is chance for so called smaller teams to take on the so called big teams for the biggest trophy in world club football qualifying alone is worth 25 mill to ever club , to reduce teams and say sorry this is a rich mens club from now on would be unfair & unjust

at the end of the day it don't matter who we play, i think every team that qualifies for the CL does so on merrit , i would hate to see the current set up changed, if its not broken why try to fix it .

Fair comment lobo ! the thing that devalues it for me is when you get obvious superior teams to others in groups that end up in 6-0 results or other big scores ! it is called the champions league and results like that devalue it as a competition as far as i am concerned.

The goons would never beat man city or liverpool, fulham or blackburn by that score under normal circumstances and those teams didnt even qualify , but braga did.

Ok i am not saying it should be all english ,italian, spanish and german clubs alone by any means, what i am saying is that the comp does need some revision.

I dont study much foreign football but i know some leagues are stronger than others and to make it a true competition then the comp should be made up mostly of those teams in the stronger european leagues, with maybe a sprinkling of just the champions (alone) from lesser leagues.

It really seems to me at times that its the equivalent of man utd or ar5na1,chelsea or barcelona versus say......ipswich or swindon, and thats the sort of game you would expect 6-0 (or such ) hammerings as results.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18 2010, 22:54

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp believes the UEFA Champions League should return to its old knockout format.

Spurs launched their European campaign on Tuesday with a 2-2 draw at Werder Bremen,but Redknapp believes the competition should revert back to a straight knockout without the group stage.

This format was in existence before the inception of the Champions League in 1992, and the White Hart Lane boss says it would make for better games, with more evenly matched teams.

"Tottenham are in the Champions League for the first time yet I still can't help feeling it'd be much better if we went back to a knockout system," he said in The Sun.

"My Spurs team could even lose out but I'm willing to take that gamble.

"Six guaranteed ties before December is all very well but is it the entertainment spectacle dreamed of in the early 1990s when the old European Cup was revamped?

"For most teams involved, it is going through motions. The system of seeding makes sure there are few, if any, upsets so the big names more often than not make it through to the last 16 in February when things finally get interesting."

Premier League sides Chelsea and Arsenalran out comfortable winners on matchday one, scoring 10 goals between them.

Redknapp believes there are too many mismatches in the competition, and says there are certain teams that are not up to scratch when compared to the top sides.

"Arsenal looked fabulous running six past Portuguese side Braga without reply. Chelsea won 4-1 away at Slovaks MSK Zilina," he added.

"What total mismatches. Surely this means clubs like Braga and MSK Zilina do not have the right to share the same pitch as teams like Arsenal and Chelsea?"

.skysports.com

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 00:33

If harry was on here talking like that max i would have to give him a rep point and say............................... fantastic trifik and............ smashing not forgetting..... scary
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sun Sep 19 2010, 01:50

I agree with Lobo. I think that all the clubs in the CL no matter how big or small deserve to be there, to say let's get rid of the dead wood would be just the same as saying third and forth division sides should not be in the FA Cup. Not only does it give a bit of money to the small club's it gives there supporters the chance to see the big club's. However, as Lought was it? said, make it a draw like the FA Cup, all the clubs in the hat. I will try to give you a rep point Lobo if I can find out how to do it.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 01:59

..................................TO GIVE A REP POINT................................................................................CLICK THE + SIGN HERE ____________>>>>>>
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Sep 19 2010, 02:06

ionman34 wrote:
    We had this conversation a few seasons back when we just missed out on the CL. Many on here were saying that they didn't think we were ready and that the Europa Cup, as it's now known, was the standard we were ready for. I disagreed with that for the same reasons cited here.

We are more than good enough to go a good distance in the CL and can count only a handful of teams who would really stretch us to the limit.

This is why it's imperative to me that we treat it as the bonus rather than the Grail. It's there to swell the coffers and provide a little added Glory, but the domestic league is the true Grail, it takes precedence over everything.

Look at Chelsea and Utd in the last games, SAF 'rested' 10 players from their game at Everton. 10 first team regulars. Chelsea rested key players and still got 4.

We MUST do the same and look on the CL as a wonderful bonus for a season of hard graft, but that's it. Our goal is the title in England and NOTHING should distract us from that, particularly if a good performance in the CL costs us in the league.

Now, more than ever, it is imperative for us to consolidate that top 4 position and kick on to be serious title challengers, that way CL will be guaranteed.

But you have to beat the likes of WBA, Wigan and Wolves to have any chance of the league Ion.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 02:19

Boltjean wrote:I agree with Lobo. I think that all the clubs in the CL no matter how big or small deserve to be there, to say let's get rid of the dead wood would be just the same as saying third and forth division sides should not be in the FA Cup. Not only does it give a bit of money to the small club's it gives there supporters the chance to see the big club's. However, as Lought was it? said, make it a draw like the FA Cup, all the clubs in the hat. I will try to give you a rep point Lobo if I can find out how to do it.

Its called the champions league len ! not deadwood thrashed here ! lol! sorry len but some of those teams wouldnt beat fulham, bolton and many other mid prem clubs.........what are they doing in europes elite comp ? something is wrong somewhere.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Sep 19 2010, 02:54

[quote="totalytot"]
    ionman34 wrote:

But you have to beat the likes of WBA, Wigan and Wolves to have any chance of the league Ion.

My point exactly Mikey. The focus has to be on the league first with everything else secondary.

I said last season that I'd sacrifice any Cup Final, for the next 10 years, to make sure we stayed up where we belong, that includes the CL.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 15:51