The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
harry admits EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
harry admits EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
harry admits EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
harry admits EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
harry admits EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
harry admits EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
harry admits EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
harry admits EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
harry admits EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

harry admits Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

harry admits

harry admits Empty harry admits

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 02:09

Harry admits top-four fears
    Redknapp never seriously considered Suarez and Forlan
    Last updated: 2nd February 2011

Redknapp: Realistic on title hopes

SKY SPORTS ON SKY

..Harry Redknapp has conceded it will be difficult for Tottenham to qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League after failing to sign a new striker in the transfer window.

The Spurs manager had been looking to bolster his attacking options with the addition of a star name and identified the likes of Andy Carroll, Diego Forlan, Sergio Aguero and Giuseppe Rossi as transfer targets.

However, no deal materialised as Aguero and Forlan stayed at Atletico Madrid, Villarreal refused to sell Rossi and Liverpool won the battle to sign Carroll from Newcastle.

The Reds also compensated for Fernando Torres' departure to Chelsea by bringing in Luis Suarez, another player to have been linked with a switch to White Hart Lane but who Redknapp says was never seriously considered.

Redknapp also admits that a move for Forlan was ruled out on financial grounds following discussions with chairman Daniel Levy.

"He (Levy) asked me if I wanted Suarez the other week and I felt he was a top player, but he plays as a second striker and I've got (Rafael) van der Vaart," explained the Tottenham manager.

"We needed a Forlan or a Carroll or a Rossi.

"Carroll would've been a good signing for us. Forlan was a deal we couldn't do.

"He was on £140,000 a week - massive money - and they wanted £15million, and he's 31, nearly 32.

"There's only a return if he takes you into the Champions League."

Hard task
    Redknapp has spent much of the season insisting that Spurs are capable of winning the title, but they now face a fight to finish in the top four for a second straight season after Chelsea and Liverpool bolstered their ranks during January.

The Reds are currently six points behind fifth-placed Tottenham but Redknapp feels they will still challenge for Champions League qualification.

"Our task is harder now, for sure," he admitted.

"At the start of the window, I felt the title was up for grabs.

"It's getting harder because the other teams have strengthened their squads.

"You look at Chelsea now and think they could win the league.

"And Liverpool are still contenders for a top-four spot. Andy Carroll is a talent. He is a big, powerful centre-forward who could be a great hit at that club."

"We've got to keep going. It's going to be hard but not impossible.

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26612&posts=8#ixzz1CoYgS9BL

harry admits Empty Re: harry admits

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 02:10

what a differnce 2 weeks can make.

on the eve of the man u game he said we are serious title contenders lol
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Feb 03 2011, 02:18

He's just trying to drum up a bit of us against them spirit. Good luck to him
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 02:59

cynicsid wrote:He's just trying to drum up a bit of us against them spirit. Good luck to him

Hahah you wont have it will you, me and lought are the only two on this forum with a real understanding of how the market works , we said that making top 4 will be really hard due to the lack of a new striker was a failure and me and lought said this and have stood firm on this stance and now we have arry coming out basically backing our opinion up ..

the difference between me and lought and some of you is we are realist , top 4 isnt a god given right , we should bloody fight for it and not just sit back and hope citeh fail

cos from what i can gather is you and the others not all but some of you think our team is more than enough to cope

well i just bloody hope your right old son
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Feb 03 2011, 03:49

LOBO wrote:
    cynicsid wrote:He's just trying to drum up a bit of us against them spirit. Good luck to him

Hahah you wont have it will you, me and lought are the only two on this forum with a real understanding of how the market works , we said that making top 4 will be really hard due to the lack of a new striker was a failure and me and lought said this and have stood firm on this stance and now we have arry coming out basically backing our opinion up ..

the difference between me and lought and some of you is we are realist , top 4 isnt a god given right , we should bloody fight for it and not just sit back and hope citeh fail

cos from what i can gather is you and the others not all but some of you think our team is more than enough to cope

I dont think we will make top four actually (I hope we do) but I thought it was a tough task from day one. City were bound to go again with the spending and the resulting cost of players was bound to put many out of reach, as it turns out this is so. ManU and the goons get more luck in black than could possibly be coincidence and I thought Chelsea would be our best bet as in my opinion they were looking old and could get run down before the end of the season. There was also the possibillity of the pool getting their act together at the start of the season but they have taken until now to make an inprovment to their squad. Add to that the very fact that we are in the CL and so will have a much harder workload it always looked an uphill task to me.

Yes we should fight for it, but within our means, we cant just go get anyone, and why should we have doubted the team that got us into 4th in the 1st place? we srengthend and we have done so again in this window but the big signings just simply didnt want to come to our club. It would be madness to over spend incase we dont make it, we then end up doing a Leeds up to our eyes in debt and a dispondant squad of over paid players that want out. We would seemingly need to spend £35M to gat a deacent forward thats more than twice our record signing?? and we make an extra what? £40M for being in the CL so we acually go backwards in terms of growth for the club

If we dont stay top four we go again next year without the pressure of actually being in the CL and we keep going & going until we find we are in the CL and have the finaces to compeat to win it as well as the league. what else can we do??

As far as you and lought having all the football brains on this site I just cant understand why your not earning a living in the game. You have all the knowledge of the player trading and you know better than Harry how to run a team. These premiership teams must be nuts not to have signed you up.

As realists you should recognise that we have been punching above our weight a lot reacently and every now and then we will get flat spots. You might also realise thet before you can sell a player you need to find someone who wants them and before you can buy a player you need to find a team and a player that want to deal with you at a price you can budget to. You may even consider that the only way to compete against 3 clubs that run in massive debt is to look for bargains in the market place Like Lennon, Like VDV & you might even consider that when looking for bargains you wont always get it right as no club does.

And as far as you can gather about what I think, yours miles out, because as I said I dont think we will make top four. The difference between us is not your knowledge of the game, it's your inability to discuss a point without getting all confrontational and opinionated about you fellow fans.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 04:06

cynicsid wrote:
    LOBO wrote:

I dont think we will make top four actually (I hope we do) but I thought it was a tough task from day one. City were bound to go again with the spending and the resulting cost of players was bound to put many out of reach, as it turns out this is so. ManU and the goons get more luck in black than could possibly be coincidence and I thought Chelsea would be our best bet as in my opinion they were looking old and could get run down before the end of the season. There was also the possibillity of the pool getting their act together at the start of the season but they have taken until now to make an inprovment to their squad. Add to that the very fact that we are in the CL and so will have a much harder workload it always looked an uphill task to me.

Yes we should fight for it, but within our means, we cant just go get anyone, and why should we have doubted the team that got us into 4th in the 1st place? we srengthend and we have done so again in this window but the big signings just simply didnt want to come to our club. It would be madness to over spend incase we dont make it, we then end up doing a Leeds up to our eyes in debt and a dispondant squad of over paid players that want out. We would seemingly need to spend £35M to gat a deacent forward thats more than twice our record signing?? and we make an extra what? £40M for being in the CL so we acually go backwards in terms of growth for the club

If we dont stay top four we go again next year without the pressure of actually being in the CL and we keep going & going until we find we are in the CL and have the finaces to compeat to win it as well as the league. what else can we do??

As far as you and lought having all the football brains on this site I just cant understand why your not earning a living in the game. You have all the knowledge of the player trading and you know better than Harry how to run a team. These premiership teams must be nuts not to have signed you up.

As realists you should recognise that we have been punching above our weight a lot reacently and every now and then we will get flat spots. You might also realise thet before you can sell a player you need to find someone who wants them and before you can buy a player you need to find a team and a player that want to deal with you at a price you can budget to. You may even consider that the only way to compete against 3 clubs that run in massive debt is to look for bargains in the market place Like Lennon, Like VDV & you might even consider that when looking for bargains you wont always get it right as no club does.

And as far as you can gather about what I think, yours miles out, because as I said I dont think we will make top four. The difference between us is not your knowledge of the game, it's your inability to discuss a point without getting all confrontational and opinionated about you fellow fans.

thats what its about opinions , i was asked today if i was real spurs fans on here , hmm
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 03 2011, 04:21

REPPED Sid. A very fine appraisal of our situation.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 04:30

LOBO wrote:

LOL if you & Lought are the only 2 with an understanding of football marketing forces I hate to think how you would motivate the Marquee signings you would make with all the negativity you are showing at the moment. Please join us, 75% of the rest of the squad are crap but with you we can really go places . . . . .
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:08

VisionarySound wrote:
    LOBO wrote:

LOL if you & Lought are the only 2 with an understanding of football marketing forces I hate to think how you would motivate the Marquee signings you would make with all the negativity you are showing at the moment. Please join us, 75% of the rest of the squad are crap but with you we can really go places . . . . .

you mean 75% of this forum, my argument is the club failed in the market, ion comes at me with a load of tosh about who arry signed but ion forgot to do his homework, Djfitzo questioned if i or lought were real spurs fans for what? for not agreeing with you ??

would you rather me and lought go away and dont bother posting , my argument is and ill stand my ground, we failed in the market simple as, i know you guys think your view is the only view shared by all spurs fans well thats utter ballacks , i simple wont be intimedated to psot politically correct just to keep you all happy like pigs in shight lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:14

would you rather me and lought go away and dont bother posting

Nooooo Lobs I find the entertainment value uplifting myself.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:18

Lobo you and some others negativity (my opinion, not that of others) are causing the debate at present. That is good. It keeps the forum alive. But if others are positive accept it as you expect us to accept the negativity. Please keep up your side of the debate. It makes for input into the forum. Maybe some things are wrong at Spurs ? A last 16 C/L game at AC Milan makes me think otherwise. As does 5th in the EPL at the half-way stage ! It's all about opinions. You see bad decisions and lack of progress where-as I see a club on the up. End of the day I respect your right to to criticise so please accept my right to criticise in return. You accuse people of "a*se-licking" (it's in posts) because they look on the bright side. Well how about you & the knockers are a*se rimming ? Exactly. There will always be several sides to the debate . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 12:44

i will say the win tonight and man c dropping points has changed things a lot. but we have to beat bolton. .

i think most spurs fans know we need a striker. anyone better then defoe. and harry known all season we need another 1.

i thought we let keane go because we had somone else to come in.

i would rather have kept him in case we get more injuries.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 03 2011, 14:51

Loughtonlegend wrote:i will say the win tonight and man c dropping points has changed things a lot. but we have to beat bolton. .

i think most spurs fans know we need a striker. anyone better then defoe. and harry known all season we need another 1.

i thought we let keane go because we had somone else to come in.

i would rather have kept him in case we get more injuries.

In that you're not alone Lought. I don't think a single one of us actually believes, or has stated, that we're OK with our strikeforce. This season they haven't even held onto the coattails of 'Dire' but here's hoping that the closed season sees us either making that signing or unearthing a prodigious talent.

Liverpool were doing it with Rush, Owen and Fowler when we were paying top dollar for strikers. Let's hope we can turn the tables on them.

As for keeping Keane, yes you're right, I'd rather have kept Gio though and given him a shot up front. I still believe that he'll surprise the lot of us.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Thu Feb 03 2011, 18:24

After watching Defoe last night i think its time he was dropped, I still believe if he gets 1 or 2 and gets his confidence up he'll be off and running but for now he dont deserve his place in the team. Put Pav in for Bolton remember his smasher at the Reebok?
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 19:25

BazSpur wrote:would you rather me and lought go away and dont bother posting

Nooooo Lobs I find the entertainment value uplifting myself.

I must admit i do like shi-t stir just to get the debate going, and most
    of is to prevoke a responce that i must confess - guilty as charged

But hey its good i think without stepping over the line , its good to be angry now and then lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 03 2011, 20:05

I do much the same thing sometimes. If I'm feeling bored I go on the net and look for some controversial article to copy and paste on here just to get a bit of debate going, it doesn't mean I neccesarily believe it. There is nothing like good honest debate. We have some very good debaters on here. Sometimes it's good to play the devils advocate as well.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04 2011, 04:41

yep baz thats what i do. sumtimes i dont even belive in the post i put up but it gets debate and replys.

and now im seen as a villian on here. the things i do to get people talking lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 12:35