The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
ionman34
shearspur
MarkA249
totalytot
8 posters

Match Thread Vs Fulham

Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Fulham

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 04:00

What an odd 1st half. Fulham came straight at us and stayed there, credit to them. We score 2 sublime goals and 3 players laid low. Scotty Parker laid low by a snidey flailing ginger elbow (watch it in slo-mo - vicious). Kaboul through being brave & the Fulham lad twisted and looked in agony. 2 to the good so lets hope the 2nd half we stay strong & add to our goal difference. COYS . . ..
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Nov 07 2011, 04:29

second half we look poor and the passing is terrible , there no running off the ball its all long balls we do look poor cos we are letting them put to much pressure on us the 2 goal lead has made us sit back i still think we will win it 3-1
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:06

That will have done Arry a power of good lol - how the hell did Fulham not get a point at least ? What an afternoon for Friedel - easy MoM
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:08

How on earth did we win if i was a Fulham fan i would be p*ssed off Big Bald Brad in net Gomes who ?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:13

Phew what a scary 2nd half. One of those games where we couldn't keep posession, couldn't string more then a few passes together and every 50/50 ball went to the opposistion. At times we where like an alcoholic outside a pub. Couldn't pass it lol. Lucky ? Maybe. We still look a touch fragile but nowhere's near as fragile as we have in the past. Friedel was immense. The contest between Ledley & Zammora was football at it's finest. Walker was superb. Parker likewise. Modric had an off day. Adebayour still looks lazy to me. Bale was great 1st half almost invisible 2nd as was Lennon. Don't blame the players give credit to Fulham. Jermainman came on to save the day lmao . The sign of a good team is to win when not playing well. Didn't play well today but 3 more points in the bag. COYS . . . . .
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:20

The players just didn't get it together and your right just one of those games all teams play like that from time to time, i hear harry wont be back at spurs for 5 weeks

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:21

Fulham 1 - 3 Tottenham

Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 _56511658_131625759
    Bale celebrates with his team-mates after Tottenham's first goal ( I love this piccy. It shows a team that is happy together and playing for eachother & enjoying the experience)

Tottenham overcame the absence of manager Harry Redknapp to seal a seventh win in eight league games.

Redknapp was absent as he recovered at home after undergoing heart surgery.

Gareth Bale was credited with the first goal after his powerful shot deflected off Chris Baird before Aaron Lennon's clinical finish doubled the advantage.

An own goal by Younes Kaboul, after Ledley King headed against his back, set up a grandstand finish but Jermain Defoe secured victory in stoppage time.

FULHAM Vs TOTTENHAM

Possession

Fulham 53% Tottenham 47%

Attempts on target

Fulham 20 Tottenham 8

Attempts off target

Fulham 6 Tottenham 0

Corners

Fulham 11 Tottenham 1

Fouls

Fulham 5 Tottenham 9

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:23

The stats tell us everything about the game, except the fact that Spurs are a team who are playing for the badge & each other at present . . . ..
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:27

How we won that game is beyond me. They battered our goal. 20 attempts on target? Hope that wasn't because Arry was away as he is away for another 4 to 5 weeks.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:30

fulham out play as. yes the same players minus johnson who all played thursday while our boys had a rest.

vdv invisible ade gone 6 games without a goal
    thats wigan and newcastle blackburn and now fulham we was hanging on

Match Thread Vs Fulham - Page 2 Empty Match ratings vs Fulham

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:46

Friedel - 9 (Classy display)

Walker- 7 (was ok but needs to improve on his positioning)
    Kaboul - 8 played well so many good headers

King - 7 (struggled aganst zomore strengh
    Ekotto - 7 (looked assured as usual)

Lennon - 6.5 (Overall his performance was a 6 but great goal)
    Modric - 6 played okay
    Parker - 7.5 (good display and some great effort and last ditch blocks)
    Bale - 7 (First half a 7.5 but wasn't involved 2nd)

VDV - 3 was awfull. nowhwere near ade
    Adebayor - 6.5 (first half veery good but not a good 2nd. Great effort throughout though).

Subs :

Sandro - 6
    Defoe - 7
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:53

win ugly it a mark of a great team in the making, it was a poor performance going forward but defensively we held firm king put in some exceptional blocks and friedel was magnificent today world class , and that's what makes a great team, its not all about attack its being able to defend hats of to king & friedel

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 05:57

yea i get whay your saying but we keep doing this.

that fulham team played on thursday night. why did our midfeild and forwards look so tired
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Nov 07 2011, 06:00

I don't know , i think the team as a whole fear arry, him not being around could have something to do with it perhaps the players played without fear of losing today whereas normally they play with the fear of losing and being dropped

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 06:07

bale ade parker vdv will never ever get dropped

parker looked off today after that tosser caught him.

451 away at big teams or when we need to close a game out.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 06:47

Loughtonlegend wrote:fulham out play as. yes the same players minus johnson who all played thursday while our boys had a rest.

vdv invisible ade gone 6 games without a goal
    thats wigan and newcastle blackburn and now fulham we was hanging on

And undefeated against them all Lought. We are winning games and if we have to win, gain points, ugly by hanging on I'll take 3 points against glorious defeat any day . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 06:49

King struggled against Zamorra Lought ? No mate it was an even, epic contest between 2 strong players . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 07:46

How in the name of Lucifer did we come away with three points?
    I thought thursdays second half performance was poor beyond belief but I think that just topped it. I cant remember seeing us give away the ball so much.. Simple 5 yard passes were going to them..Still, the brief was to get three points and we did, isn't that supposed to be the sign of a good team?
    A massive turnout at Craven Cottage as usual, we were supposed to have 3,000 official tickets but there was more of us than that. Usually a great day out, but the effort of the second half kind of spoilt it. It was nervous stuff
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:34

i dont know how we won that game, but when we had chances we scored, that was the difference. I hate those scrambled type goals which teams just try to bunbled into the goal from a few yards, and that personifies teams like fulham, qpr did the same last week, so although they played well they deserved to lose with such poor quality players up front, i know it sounds harsh. But at the end of the day, if were winning by not playing at our best, thats a great sign. Adebayor did look very lazy/tired maybe, but he held up the ball well a few times but his passing was way off, same with parker although his work rate is exellent his passing is suspect at times. Modric worked his socks off and couldnt play his usual game but defending great and probably got us the 3 points along side friedel who was my motm.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:49

Who gives a flying f*ck how we won it?

We won it.

How often did I read whinge, whine and moan about us having a shed load of chances, last season, which we failed to convert, all contriving to lose us the game. We have 8 chances on goal, score 3 and win.

We won ugly and I hope to see a lot more of that this season, along with the win beautiful. To win regardless of your performance is title challenging form and mindset. We already know how well we can play, now we are seeing wins through resilience and I'm loving that. It's an aspect of Utd's winning mentality that I have hoped and prayed we would find and it seems we are moving in that direction.

f*cking over the moon me.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 07 2011, 10:20

Yep, have to say ion I would be p*ssed off if we had lost So it's another 3 points in the bag and I guess that's all that matters.

To win regardless of your performance is title challenging form and mindset.

Jason Roberts said much the same thing on MOTD2 tonight.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 19:34

Links & match rating threads merged to this one. Thanx guys flowers . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Mon Nov 07 2011, 19:55

I have always been a bit sceptical about "it is a good team that can get a result when they are not playing well" - if you are playing below your standard then that rough lights not more than inconsistency - it is certainly not a plus

Seems to me a side that picks up pointsin games they may not deserve can expect to follow that with a few performances where they drop points they might have deserved

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 20:07

Tottenham Hotspur overcame the absence of manager Harry Redknapp to seal a seventh win in eight league games.

Redknapp was missing as he recovered at home after undergoing heart surgery.

Gareth Bale was credited with the first goal after his powerful shot deflected off Chris Baird before Aaron Lennon's clinical finish doubled the advantage.

An own goal by Younes Kaboul, after Ledley King headed against his back, set up a grandstand finish but Jermain Defoe secured victory in stoppage time.

Redknapp's health will not exactly have been helped by a number of goalmouth scrambles in front of Brad Friedel's goal in the closing stages, but Defoe's clinical finish with virtually the last kick of the game made it a good day for the north London outfit, who moved level on points with Chelsea in the Premier League table.

Having scored 17 times in their previous seven league games, Tottenham have found goals easy to come by this season and they took the lead with their first noteworthy attack in the 10th minute.

Kyle Walker's burst down the right ended with a lay-off to Lennon, and his cross was pushed by Mark Schwarzer into the path of Bale.

The Wales international's powerful effort from an angle struck Baird, who could do little about stopping the ball cannoning off him into the net.

Fulham are now just one point above the relegation zone but it was a cruel scoreline for Jol's team.

At the other end Friedel had to be at his best to keep out efforts from John Arne Riise and Clint Dempsey.

Tottenham's hard-earned win was summed up by Scott Parker, who battled on after being caught by what appeared to be an accidental Steve Sidwell elbow in the 20th minute.

England boss Fabio Capello looked on concerned as England international Parker received lengthy treatment for a nose wound, but he was able to carry on.

Capello, however, will have been impressed with Lennon's finish on the stroke of half-time which put Spurs in command.

The winger, who has not played for England since the 2010 World Cup, exchanged passes with Bale and burst down the left before cutting inside the area, wrong footing Baird and firing across Schwarzer.

Fulham were not helped by the loss of Zdenik Grygera, who was given oxygen as he left the pitch on a stretcher with what appeared to be a serious knee injury.

But Jol's side showed spirit in the second half wtih Friedel producing a one-handed stop to keep out Brede Hangeland's 52nd-minute header before Kaboul's own goal gave the home side hope.

Kaboul was helpless as King's headed clearance from a corner cannoned off his team-mate and over the line in the 57th minute.

Fulham piled on the pressure in the closing stages.

In a chaotic goalmouth scramble, Kyle Walker appeared to handle the ball inside his own area while man-of-the-match Friedel again produced an excellent one-handed stop to deny Moussa Dembele.

In addition, Luka Modric making a clearance off the line to deny Dempsey.

Tottenham scored their third deep into stoppage time as substitute Defoe fired home low via a slight deflection from Emmanuel Adebayor's cut-back to wrap up the points.

Fulham's former Tottenham manager Martin Jol:
    "I thought we deserved at least a point. Tottenham had three attempts on goal in the first half and scored two goals.

"We must have had 26 or 30 attempts after half-time. He (Friedel) was probably the best player on the pitch, but if you don't score then you have a problem.

"Of course I heard the applause from the Tottenham fans. But I don't want to make a meal of it. I'm happy here."

Tottenham winger Gareth Bale:
    "It's always nice to score and keep the run going. I am claiming the goal. I've seen it a few times and it's definitely my goal.

"We knew how hard it was going to be. Fulham played very well and put us under the cosh, but we showed our character.

"In recent years we would have conceded more in the second half, but we have belief in ourselves."

FAST FACT
    Tottenham have suffered only three league defeats since April of this year - all three against the two Manchester clubs.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 20:11

Tottenham Hotspur’s Dutch forward Rafael Van Der Vaart has played down suggestions they could compete for the Premier League title.

Since defeats to Man United and Man City in their opening fixtures, Spurs have gone eight games unbeaten leaving them in fifth position with a game in hand, which if won could put them third.

But the talismanic star reckons the players are only focussed on getting themselves back into the top four and consequently the Champions League.

“We didn’t play like somebody who wants to win the title,” said van der Vaart after his side's 3-1 win over Fulham. “When we play well, like last week [against QPR] then we have a fantastic team.

“Today we fought until the end but Fulham were the better team, that’s football and if we can keep on winning these kind of games then we have a good chance to be in the top four.

“Our ambition is to finish in the top four, we’ve always had that.

“We had so much luck but I have to say I was quite happy with this game because last season we lost this kind of game and now we win them.

“It’s a pity for Fulham, especially for the Dutch coach Martin Jol but I think we were very lucky today.”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 22:29