The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
MarkA249
shearspur
ArnieArdiles
BazSpur
Boltjean
vis
10 posters

Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh

Maximus
    Maximus
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh

Post by Maximus Mon Nov 12 2012, 05:48

Thats the thing, we should not of replaced Arry, for all his faults he had us playing good football, Avb and one up front does not suit us, 4-4-2 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh - Page 3 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Manchester Citeh

Post by shearspur Mon Nov 12 2012, 05:50

you cant always have your best 11 can you, and when you cant thats when the manager has to shuffle and make the best of it. the trouble is were not playing bad cos were taking leads, but then throwing them away. its becoming a habit now. take a lead , they get the equaliser, avb panic subs and changes it to try and defend, we invite the pressure on us and bang in goes the winner for them. inevitable im affraid with these tactics hes using.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 12 2012, 05:58

Maximus wrote:Thats the thing, we should not of replaced Arry, for all his faults he had us playing good football, Avb and one up front does not suit us, 4-4-2 !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's by the by Max. We have got rid of Arry rightly or wrongly. But the question is, if we get rid of AVB who do we get instead?
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Nov 12 2012, 06:05

Maximus wrote:Thats the thing, we should not of replaced Arry, for all his faults he had us playing good football, Avb and one up front does not suit us, 4-4-2 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm and that 4-4-2 that Redknapp so believed in done us so proud? Vs Villa, down to 10 men but easily in control & Redknapp took off a striker? I do agree that Adabadback should play "in the hole" but effectively that still means just the one up front. Which is what Redknapp had us playing a lot of the time. Adabadback up front & Defoe on the bench.
    The Villa game was

24 Friedel
    04 Kaboul Booked
    13 Gallas
    28 Walker
    03 Bale
    07 Lennon
    11 Van der Vaart (Parker - 89' )
    14 Modric
    25 Rose Dismissed
    30 Sandro Booked
    10 Adebayor
    Oh just the one up front then when 3 points would have guaranteed 3rd place . . .

Away at Swansea back in January the line-up was (finished 1-1 just choose it as a random game)

24 Friedel[/b]
    03 Bale Booked
    04 Kaboul
    13 Gallas
    28 Walker
    32 Assou-Ekotto
    08 Parker (Livermore - 71' Booked )
    11 Van der Vaart (Defoe - 70' )
    14 Modric
    30 Sandro
    10 Adebayor

Just one up front.
    Same month away to Citeh the line-up was

24 Friedel
    03 Bale
    04 Kaboul
    26 King
    28 Walker
    32 Assou-Ekotto
    07 Lennon (Pienaar - 88' )
    08 Parker Booked
    11 Van der Vaart (Livermore - 67' )
    14 Modric
    18 Defoe
    At home to Utd in March he played 2 up front yet we lost

24 Friedel
    04 Kaboul
    26 King
    28 Walker
    32 Assou-Ekotto
    07 Lennon (Rose - 84' )
    14 Modric
    29 Livermore
    30 Sandro Booked (Kranjcar - 80' )
    10 Adebayor
    15 Saha (Defoe - 80' )
    So much for a different style and 4-4-2 always works for us. AVB is not a lot different in his line-ups to Redknapp. Just no Modric & VdV to pick. Yup Dempsey for VdV it is. Oh dear . . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 12 2012, 06:09

Yes because he mainly had his best eleven on the field, did he ever as a manager win at Old Trafford? Funny that with Dembele on the pitch we did under AVB, funny what you can do with your best players available.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 06:21

bang on vis and dj. harry used to play 1 up front away from home.
    okay he played 442 at home and aganst some weaker teams we struggled.
    avb hopefully will use 442 more at home.

we miss modric so much yet nobody admits it. the guy used to start attacks off. carry the ball out of defence.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 12 2012, 06:23

And let's not forget how we tore Man U a new one in the first half. Yes they came back at us in the second half but that was to be expected. At least we held on for the win.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Nov 12 2012, 06:51

i thought we did ok today, adebayor was excellent, needs to start every game up front with defoe. Need to drop dempsey, he doesnt offer or do anything at all, bale was very quiet as was lennon. AVB doesnt seem to know the team yet hence his weird substitutions, he needs to sort that out quick! But remember AVB likes to play counter attack style football, hence why he plays so defensive, give him time. Sandro was MOTM for me, what a player he's turning into, amazing! Cant wait for Dembele to return as we're not creating enough, hopefully he'll be back against a*se-anal next Saturday. Keep the faith lads!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 12 2012, 07:14

Spot on dj.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 12 2012, 07:35

Ain't this been our problem over the years, a few bad results and its get rid and start all over again, we never learn do we.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 12 2012, 07:39

djfitzo wrote:Ain't this been our problem over the years, a few bad results and its get rid and start all over again, we never learn do we.

Nope, and the calls will reach fever pitch and
    AVB will be sacked and the whole sorry episode will start all over
    again and we will still be also rans to the likes of Arsenal, City,
    Chelsea, Manure et al.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 08:32

levy got avb in so he needs to back him. let him get rid and buy the players he wants.

we beatin man u away from home first time since 89. we scored 3 goals up there. before then every manager seem to be happy to go there and lay down. we hadnt even scored a league goal at man u for about 5 seasons.

they we nearly beat chelsea but they had tht 2 mins spell and score 2 goals.
    its just the smaller teams we need to play better in at home.

does anyone really belive dempsey was high on avb list .
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Nov 12 2012, 08:56

But whose idea was it to buy Dempsey? Levy's on a whim? Just to spite the Scousers? Odd signing at best . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 09:18

i think levy said to avb look i tried but i cant get that guy you want but i can get dempsey in as a last minute buy

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:17

I dont know what to say lads, after reading the various opinions in this thread.
    I have already said that as avb is the manager then we have to hope for the best, but i also see that like myself many didnt like the appointment in the first place.
    To tell the honest truth, i have lost a little interest, and i think its through being disillusioned by this years events, i know you blokes will think that its not the way of a true spurs fan, but that is how i view the situation.
    A manager makes us a force in the premiership and then gets sacked, it just defies logic, and to me its disappointing because i wanted to see the progress continue, or at least maintained.
    I feel sorry for you lads because you love the club, but i now feel like i am looking in from the outside, and i guess thats a cop out really, but to me its just disappointment, bad results always used to hurt, now i just brush them off and hope for better next time.
    Chin up lads, it would be terrible if you all took my attitude.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Nov 12 2012, 19:06

Loughtonlegend wrote:levy got avb in so he needs to back him. let him get rid and buy the players he wants.

we beatin man u away from home first time since 89. we scored 3 goals up there. before then every manager seem to be happy to go there and lay down. we hadnt even scored a league goal at man u for about 5 seasons.

Now thats a strange one first half at Old Trafford we went for them and played well 2nd half we sat back and nearly paid the price we got lucky. Yeserday was completley defensive i dont care what people say about wait till so and so is back if u play defensive u play defensive even Swansea went to city and had a go and they have not as good as players as us God even Scum went for it and got a point at City our best way is to go for teams not sit back doesnt suit us.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 12 2012, 21:28

MarkA249 wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:levy got avb in so he needs to back him. let him get rid and buy the players he wants.

Now thats a strange one first half at Old Trafford we went for them and played well 2nd half we sat back and nearly paid the price we got lucky. Yeserday was completley defensive i dont care what people say about wait till so and so is back if u play defensive u play defensive even Swansea went to city and had a go and they have not as good as players as us God even Scum went for it and got a point at City our best way is to go for teams not sit back doesnt suit us.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont Mark, would you be happy if we went for it, like we did at home and got slaughtered 5-1?

The tactics were working, but for two world class finishes from players that we will never be able to afford to pay their wages, let alone their transfer fees, all created by David Silva, see above to why we will never be able to afford a player like him.

And you can still only play a certain way with certain players. Sandro was immense, but Hudd was playing alongside him, wereas Dembele links play, keeps the ball and surges forward. Both goals came from the left because Verts was getting no help from Bale and is better in central defence.

So AVB at fault because we have key players missing and Gareth Bale decided not to turn up?

We held Citehs best team with world class players for 70% of the game and now everybody wants AVB out, without him being able to field his best team.

Remember Ossie going all gung ho and us getting pulled apart, sure we had a go at Manure, but their team, no matter their current position is not as good as Citehs and Bale decided to play that day and we had Dembele.

But no, lets get shot and start all over again, cos Arsenal are tearing it up and some peoples choices MON and Brendan Rodgers are doing so well.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 21:50

djfitzo wrote:
    MarkA249 wrote:

Damned if you do, damned if you dont Mark, would you be happy if we went for it, like we did at home and got slaughtered 5-1?

The tactics were working, but for two world class finishes from players that we will never be able to afford to pay their wages, let alone their transfer fees, all created by David Silva, see above to why we will never be able to afford a player like him.

And you can still only play a certain way with certain players. Sandro was immense, but Hudd was playing alongside him, wereas Dembele links play, keeps the ball and surges forward. Both goals came from the left because Verts was getting no help from Bale and is better in central defence.

So AVB at fault because we have key players missing and Gareth Bale decided not to turn up?

We held Citehs best team with world class players for 70% of the game and now everybody wants AVB out, without him being able to field his best team.

Remember Ossie going all gung ho and us getting pulled apart, sure we had a go at Manure, but their team, no matter their current position is not as good as Citehs and Bale decided to play that day and we had Dembele.

But no, lets get shot and start all over again, cos Arsenal are tearing it up and some peoples choices MON and Brendan Rodgers are doing so well.

Frankly dave, this is what i feel is frustrating on this forum, no one wants shot of avb, in my opinion it wasnt broken in the first place and that a managerial change wasnt needed, i didnt want avb in the first place, but now we have him he has to be given a chance, i have said before that i think he is a lamb to the slaughter, and i blame levey for that, in getting shot of a bloke who took the team to new heights, who wanted a new improved contract, for what was probably his last years in management.
    The only things some of you blokes had against him was his media talking and comments, well Bollox to all that, as long as he got results and cemented spurs progress in the prem, then his faults pale into insignifigance.
    Yeah we did ok to hold city for so long, and as you say without a full quota of first choice players, its still not good though and is just defeatist talk ! just a way of explaining away a bad result with the usual excuses, sounds better because it was at man city and not at home to wigan though.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:09

No one wants shot of AVB on here because he needs a chance Lew. End of the day you may be right. AVB may not be the man for the job but he must be given a chance and that chance must come with all players fit and able to perform. Sack him now and not only will Levy be faced with a big pay off to AVB but AVB will say quite rightly I was never given a chance. Look at Liverpool, Rodgers plays much the same way as AVB a high line squeezing space and they haven't been doing well until yesterday when they got a creditable point at Chelski. Liverpool supporters aren't moaning, they realise it will take time but there were signs yesterday it is beginning to work. He is slowly getting his point across. Concensus of opinion on the Liverpool forums are he has to have time. I'll ask again Lew. If AVB goes, who replaces him? Forget Redkapp he's gone and not coming back.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:16

It was much more than his ramblings to the press and freezing out very good players that he didnt "fancy"
    Harry was offered a new contract and decided not to take it because he thought he was getting the England job as his swansong, cue uncle Roy and all of a sudden players that didnt care who the manager was suddenly DO need to know. Sure he got us 4th and we was playing well, but a plethora of managers could have done it with the squad he had. Then theres the Spurs fans that should be grateful were we are and not to expect so much, not something you want to hear from your manager, so all of a sudden Harrys whiter than white and some are prepared to forget how they came on and moaned about sometimes. So we lose 2-1 away to Citeh without key players and our supposedly world class Welsh winger going missing and its just an excuse and dont even mention Wigan, cos harry did that too at home with a better team out that day than AVB did. Short memories Lew, i remember on here people lambasting Harry for being too negative in the Villa game which would have meant Champs League football, regardless of Cheatski fluking the final and winning it, now everybody wants AVB to go for it without the personel to do so.But here we go again 11 games into a season and lets not give the guy a chance and start all over again, what get Harry back?

seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:47

It should just be noted that when Tevez went off City played 1 up front AT HOME and it worked they pushed defence higher up the pitch just the way AVB wants to play. I still wonder if our expectations are too high, after all they are champions and haven't lost at home for 30 odd games. Plus I still maintain we deserved a point.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 12 2012, 23:37

seebee1944 wrote:

It should just be noted that when Tevez went off City played 1 up front AT HOME and it worked they pushed defence higher up the pitch just the way AVB wants to play. I still wonder if our expectations are too high, after all they are champions and haven't lost at home for 30 odd games. Plus I still maintain we deserved a point.

Realism Seebee, i know there was a lot of people that didnt want wide boy Redknapp to be our manager, the same as some have had it in for AVB since he was appointed, just want him to have a fair crack of the whip with players that can implement his style.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:06

djfitzo wrote:It was much more than his ramblings to the press and freezing out very good players that he didnt "fancy"
    Harry was offered a new contract and decided not to take it because he thought he was getting the England job as his swansong, cue uncle Roy and all of a sudden players that didnt care who the manager was suddenly DO need to know. Sure he got us 4th and we was playing well, but a plethora of managers could have done it with the squad he had. Then theres the Spurs fans that should be grateful were we are and not to expect so much, not something you want to hear from your manager, so all of a sudden Harrys whiter than white and some are prepared to forget how they came on and moaned about sometimes. So we lose 2-1 away to Citeh without key players and our supposedly world class Welsh winger going missing and its just an excuse and dont even mention Wigan, cos harry did that too at home with a better team out that day than AVB did. Short memories Lew, i remember on here people lambasting Harry for being too negative in the Villa game which would have meant Champs League football, regardless of Cheatski fluking the final and winning it, now everybody wants AVB to go for it without the personel to do so.But here we go again 11 games into a season and lets not give the guy a chance and start all over again, what get Harry back?

Read my post again dave, where do i ask for avb to go ? i said i didnt want him in the first place, but as we do then he has to be given a chance.
    As for harry freezing out certain players, humans are humans mate, i have said on here before that i was captain of a golf team in the 1990s, i had a team of 12 but only 6 could play.
    I had to base my selections on who was best for the team, sometimes i got phone calls asking why someone wasnt playing, i didnt have to give my reasons because the team was winning its matches.
    Some blokes i knew werent good in competive golf, some had suspect temprements and could crack under pressure, whatever ? i picked my team as i saw fit who were my best 6 from the 12.
    I cant see it any different for footie managers, their job is on the line so its logical to assume they pick what they feel is the best.
    No one is always happy, from a county golf side, to a big time football club, the bloke who makes the decisions is told how he should do his job.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:16

pre-conceptions Lew, why did you not want AVB in the first place?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:34

yet for the last 2 seasosns we went on awful runs with harry and that was aganst lesser teams where we won 1 league game in about 10.
    how many times did harry need super pav or defoe to come on and rescue a point at home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 13:46