The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
In defence of crouch ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
In defence of crouch ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
In defence of crouch ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
In defence of crouch ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
In defence of crouch ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
In defence of crouch ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
In defence of crouch ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
In defence of crouch ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
In defence of crouch ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

In defence of crouch ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
ArnieArdiles
YID FROM DAV
6 posters

In defence of crouch !

In defence of crouch ! Empty In defence of crouch !

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:11

Come on lads, cut the bloke some slack, who got us in the fcking cl in the first place, remember that goal against the billionaires ? memories are short and he has scored for us in the cl several times.

Dont hold it against him that he is tall and ungainly, yes he boobed last night and didnt take his chances, but he aint a fcking defender, what did those twats do to let us go down 4-0 after 20 odd fcking minutes, shouldnt you be whacking the crap out of bassong and hutton ?

Listen lads, crouch has his part to play in a new twist in the history of tottenham football club, he was a lone up front man playing against a mean defence, and will anyone take into the account the markers he had on him all the fcking time?
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

In defence of crouch ! Empty Re: In defence of crouch !

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:14

no problem with crouch, what chance did he have up top on his own against probably the best back 4 in europe. the system was to blame not crouch.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:20

He is an unusual player yid, with advantages and disadvantages in what he can do ! he will always be marked because of his height, thing is other tottenham strikers will benefit from what he does and the problems he can cause opposing sides by pulling defenders along.

YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:23

not on his own he cant.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:24

Exactly !
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:30

[I'm not blaming him for last nights defeat but I cant help thinking he aint a Tottenham Hotspur player and I think if we are to progress we have to abandon thoughts of him in our starting line-up .

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:42

Shame no one believed harry when he said he gives us other options arnie, thats what he does but because its the long ball we all want him dropped.

So whats the answer,? a washed up keane ? or pav ? who for all who love him (including myself) still doesnt score enough, (in defence of pav he isnt played enough)

We dont have anyone else arnie ! until defoe gets back, and my point is that crouch does put a lot of effort into every game, he cant head a fcking ball straight to save his life but he does come good, and thats why we are in the cl at the moment.......crouch has repaid his transfer fee big time.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 04:01

Lew we cant allow sentiment to get in the way ...Yes he scored that goal at Eastlands and against the Young boys, also beauty too against Bremen .... But I do think when he comes off the pitch that the rest of the players seem to play a better passing game ..

Had Harry chosen to take Crouch off rather than Modric for Gomes' red card would we have fared any worse in that first half? What about had we even started with Kranjcar upfront would we have been any worse offensively , somehow I think not ?
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 05:47

crouch can do a job but arnie is right he aint a spurs type player, he had no chance against lucio and samuel last night, these 2 kept messi and co quiet last year and also did a job on drogba in a earlier round, no disrespect to crouch but he aint in this category. why play bale and lennon wide with no fire power central. pav,keane even modric up with him and it takes some pressure off him. surely if u play crouch or have to play him to utilise him at his best he needs a partner. i think the second half performance has mirrored over some cracks that were obviously there.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 06:54

ArnieArdiles wrote: Lew we cant allow sentiment to get in the way ...Yes he scored that goal at Eastlands and against the Young boys, also beauty too against Bremen .... But I do think when he comes off the pitch that the rest of the players seem to play a better passing game ..

Had Harry chosen to take Crouch off rather than Modric for Gomes' red card would we have fared any worse in that first half? What about had we even started with Kranjcar upfront would we have been any worse offensively , somehow I think not ?

Probably not arnie but crouch isnt to blame for the woeful defensive performance, and thats where the blame should be directed, but of course crouch is easy to pick on........
    philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:14

ArnieArdiles wrote:[I'm not blaming him for last nights defeat but I cant help thinking he aint a Tottenham Hotspur player and I think if we are to progress we have to abandon thoughts of him in our starting line-up .

I agree with you Arnie Crouchy is a decent player but not a Spurs player, for all on this board thinking that we Spurs fans are not thankful for what he did in the past are wrong. Credit where credit is due, yes he scored against Manc to get us here, yes he scored against Young Boys etc. But what people forget is that he is paid to score that is what he is expected to do no less and we fans are extremely thankful for that

Now regarding last night his misses were indefensible absolutely awful, may be he is not suited to be a lone striker, yes he was against top defenders, yes it is ok to forgive him in hindsight now we know the score being 4-3 but can you imagine if the score had stayed 4-0 or worse would those fans who think we are being harsh against Crouchy feel the same I think not

This was a game where chances were at a premium, Lennon and Hutton tried their best to whip some really good crosses but Crouchy could not hold to the ball, and could not head two clear headers. Sorry he is not a Spurs player he may do well else where but not with us

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:30

philip wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:[I'm not blaming him for last nights defeat but I cant help thinking he aint a Tottenham Hotspur player and I think if we are to progress we have to abandon thoughts of him in our starting line-up .

I agree with you Arnie Crouchy is a decent player but not a Spurs player, for all on this board thinking that we Spurs fans are not thankful for what he did in the past are wrong. Credit where credit is due, yes he scored against Manc to get us here, yes he scored against Young Boys etc. But what people forget is that he is paid to score that is what he is expected to do no less and we fans are extremely thankful for that

Well thats ok then ! one minute a hero for getting the goal that got us into the cl in the first place and then put the blame on him for not scoring in a difficult away game lol! how about taking a look at the defnesive performance in such logical terms as you have put it here.

Now regarding last night his misses were indefensible absolutely awful, may be he is not suited to be a lone striker, yes he was against top defenders, yes it is ok to forgive him in hindsight now we know the score being 4-3 but can you imagine if the score had stayed 4-0 or worse would those fans who think we are being harsh against Crouchy feel the same I think not

Well thats another ok then, lets forgive crouch for a bad performance while deflecting the blame from the defence that conceded 4 goals in 20 minutes........

This was a game where chances were at a premium, Lennon and Hutton tried their best to whip some really good crosses but Crouchy could not hold to the ball, and could not head two clear headers. Sorry he is not a Spurs player he may do well else where but not with us

Chances certainly were at a premium, how many times do our strikers score at places like chelsea and man utd, so why expect more at the home of the cl champs from crouch.?

Harry gave it a try because of lack of options up front, it didnt work, but it doesnt mean crouch should be moved on because of it !crazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:09

crouch is crap . 4 league goals in 2010 and i think 1 was a pen. pave got about 12 now in less starts. crouch had so many sitters aganst man c h portsmouth cup. hes had more starts then anyone he cant head he cant shoot and he cant hold the ball up and he cant run

all hes got is he works hard. how many balls does ball put in for him yet crouch never reads them and never on end of them..

i perfer keane to him . i know pav and brillant but he scores more plus hes link up play is better. remember him movin to the right to get the ball to put in a cross could u see the spaz doin that.

Im sorry but i hope the next spurs player to get injurid is crouch because i rather gio up there then that donkey.

4 league goals in leage in double the amount of starts pav has had and 4 goals. kewnein jones has more this season with less chances then crouch has since jan 1st. and we all kno that crouch in most games gets loads changes

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:23

Loughtonlegend wrote:crouch is crap . 4 league goals in 2010 and i think 1 was a pen. pave got about 12 now in less starts. crouch had so many sitters aganst man c h portsmouth cup. hes had more starts then anyone he cant head he cant shoot and he cant hold the ball up and he cant run

all hes got is he works hard. how many balls does ball put in for him yet crouch never reads them and never on end of them..

i perfer keane to him . i know pav and brillant but he scores more plus hes link up play is better. remember him movin to the right to get the ball to put in a cross could u see the spaz doin that.

Im sorry but i hope the next spurs player to get injurid is crouch because i rather gio up there then that donkey.

4 league goals in leage in double the amount of starts pav has had and 4 goals. kewnein jones has more this season with less chances then crouch has since jan 1st. and we all kno that crouch in most games gets loads changes

and your opinion about the defence that conceded 4 goals in 20 minutes lought please !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:39

well 1st goal hutton went with hes man and either lennon or jenas should of tracked the other guy
    2nd goal. pen yea but sendin off was a joke. the ball had gone away from etto and bassong was there as last man. would ceaser have gone if it happend at other end. you bet your life he wouldnt

3rd goal cudichine didnt move

cant rememeber much of the 4th goal but hudd jenas bale lennon should of done better defensivly in openin 20mins.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:49

You make a very good point about the midfield Lought. Thudd had a poor game last night. Jenas was ok, 2nd half beter but still Jenas. Lennon looked, at times, a bit like his old self but only going forward and Bale was Bale was Bale, but did he leave Ekotto exposed at times ?. But the midfield should assist the defence. The 1st half was a shambles and the whole team has to take the blame for that . . . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 22 2010, 10:31

[quote="lewspurs"]
    philip wrote:

Well thats ok then ! one minute a hero for getting the goal that got us into the cl in the first place and then put the blame on him for not scoring in a difficult away game lol! how about taking a look at the defnesive performance in such logical terms as you have put it here.

Well thats another ok then, lets forgive crouch for a bad performance while deflecting the blame from the defence that conceded 4 goals in 20 minutes........

Chances certainly were at a premium, how many times do our strikers score at places like chelsea and man utd, so why expect more at the home of the cl champs from crouch.?

I think that's the point though Lew. When your chances are at a premium, you need to have a striker who can finish better than 1 in 3. Crouch can't because he isn't a born predator. If we are serious in our challenge for top honours then we need that type of predator.

Harry gave it a try because of lack of options up front, it didnt work, but it doesnt mean crouch should be moved on because of it !crazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

And in this you are 100% correct. Too often we see this every time a player has a bad game or a bad run ............. Sell him, move him on, ship him out .............. Rawhide!!! lol!

But all Crouch will ever be is a support striker, that is where his most effective displays come from.

Now I was talking with my Old Man about this, about the great strikers we've had at the Lane, and the conclusion that we came to was that every great striker we've had has been part of a great strike partnership. Greaves and Gilzean, Crooks and Archibald, Sheringham and Klinnsman, Keane and Berbatov et al. We've never really been a team that had to rely on just the one striker, apart from Clive Allen that is, and any strike parnership has been with 2 great strikers, not one with a little help from a friend. We've always had the 2 front men competing for top scorer.

We don't currently have that as Defoe, if we're honest, is out on his own and even Defoe can't really be considered in the same light as the aforementioned strikers.

Our midfield is now stepping up to the plate, particularly Bale & VDV, and scoring goals. Unfortunately, what that has done is highlight just how frail our frontline really is.

I'm now starting to think that we have 4 strikers, none of whom is really of the quality necessary for a true, sustained title challenge. That marquee striker signing that Harry is after? .............. I'm starting to think it's actually 2 required and, as much as I love his work rate and the alternative options he provides, Crouch is probably one of those that has to go, Keane being the other. I'm actually in 2 minds about Crouch and Pav. Pav doesn't score enough either so which one goes, I think, will really depend on who's in form at the time we are looking to sell.

But, in a nutshell, neither is good enough to provide us with the firepower to qualify us as a potential title winning side and we need to rectify that.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Fri Oct 22 2010, 11:27

Poor ol Crouchy, no matter how well teams do with him along side he's always been the 1st to get dropped. His impact whether he scores or not is big.

Look at England, lets keep playing Roony cos he's great? lets take Crouch off cos roony aint scoring. Lets do anything but let our best goal getter have a run in the team.

He's tall, he's lanky. He looks like he might snap in a tackle. but he also is good with the ball at his feet has pace on a long run and wins most balls coming in his direction. He never hides, he dont drag half the team overseas for a P*ss up and above all he's a team player.

And he's ours
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 22 2010, 12:51

cynicsid wrote:Poor ol Crouchy, no matter how well teams do with him along side he's always been the 1st to get dropped. His impact whether he scores or not is big.

Look at England, lets keep playing Roony cos he's great? lets take Crouch off cos roony aint scoring. Lets do anything but let our best goal getter have a run in the team.

He's tall, he's lanky. He looks like he might snap in a tackle. but he also is good with the ball at his feet has pace on a long run and wins most balls coming in his direction. He never hides, he dont drag half the team overseas for a P*ss up and above all he's a team player.

And he's ours

Everything you've said is bang on mate, it doesn't detract from the fact that he is, at his best, a support striker, an impact player if you will, who provides 'an alternative option', rather than being the kind of striker you can rely on to get you that all important goal when either the team isn't firing, or the chances are few and far between.

Don't get me wrong, he has done it previously, but not often enough.

The same can be said for virtually all our strikers really, Defoe included.

It's no secret that I've been a staunch supporter of Crouch from day one. His attitude, work rate, never say die attitude and constant nuisance rating, for opposition defences, are second to none really. If his goal return matched all that then he'd constantly be warring with the likes of Drogba for the golden boot.

Unfortunately he doesn't and this, more than anything, has me thinking that we need to be looking to trade up.

It's a no brainer that Keane would be the first to go when, not if, we bring in a top flight striker. But I now believe we either need two or one that will, more or less, instantly hit it off with Defoe. The second striker, IMO, would form part of a 'triumvirate' of goalscorers that would propel us to the top of the tree. As I said in my earlier post, whether it's Crouch or Pav that then goes, I believe, will depend on form at the time.

If I'm honest, I think Pav will be the one to go. He doesn't really offer that 'alternative option' that Crouch does and he doesn't work anywhere near as hard. You can't really say he isn't a team player though, just not in the same bracket as Crouch.

The only thing missing from his game is a consistent finishing touch. Be honest mate, he is rather profligate in front of goal, however, there can't be many in the team that come as close for goal assists. VDV will back me up on that one! lol!

It's the only criticism I have of a guy who I rate highly.

It's just that there are strikers out there I rate higher and, if the choice were put before me, I'd trade up, albeit with a heavy heart for a player who has been consistently undervalued and ridiculed by fans for every club he's tried his heart out for.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 23 2010, 00:15

Nicely put ion and Sid. We do need that predatory striker who just loves scoring for fun. Someone who could feed off Defoe and vice versa. Oh for The G men. Can you imagine what they would be like in this team?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content