The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Implosion ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Implosion ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Implosion ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Implosion ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Implosion ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Implosion ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Implosion ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Implosion ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Implosion ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Implosion ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
YID FROM DAV
6 posters

Implosion !

Implosion ! Empty Implosion !

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:56

This is what we do as spurs fans, implode ! make one player a scapegoat and blame that same player for a bad result.

If the defence had put as much effort into their game as crouch does then we might have come away with a 1-3 result against the reigning cl champs instead of a 4-3 reversal.

Crouch isnt the most agile of players, but he does his bit and pulls defenders out of position, why cant anyone see that.

Lone striker last night was harrys choice, crouch did his best and didnt take a couple of good opportunities, but most of the time inter showed the bloke respect by having two defenders on him most of the time.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Implosion ! Empty Re: Implosion !

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 05:49

crouch was not at fault for 3 goals against and our keeper having a mad un.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 06:18

Everyone on here should know my support for Crouchinhio, but last nights miss was indefensable. His over-all game last night was not to it's usual standard either. I'm not looking to make Crouchinhio a scape-goat but even I can't make excuses for him this time . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Oct 22 2010, 06:26

I wasn't blaming him or making a him a scapegoat for our loss. But as Vis has already said the miss was glaringly bad. That could have made all the difference at that stage. Indeed we may have drawn 4-4.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 06:38

the miss was bad but anyone blaming crouch for last nite is harsh. they cut us apart first ten min then gomes does his thing i cant look much beyond that if im looking for reasons. we started bad in switzerland as well, this is are biggest problem in europe, we dont start well.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 06:41

We where 3-0 down Baz and on the ropes. If he had have taken his very simple chance it, could, completely have changed the game and we may have gone in 3-1 at half time instead of 4-0 ! Terrible miss and that from me if not his biggest fan at least a seer of the positives in his game . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:02

VisionarySound wrote:We where 3-0 down Baz and on the ropes. If he had have taken his very simple chance it, could, completely have changed the game and we may have gone in 3-1 at half time instead of 4-0 ! Terrible miss and that from me if not his biggest fan at least a seer of the positives in his game . . . . . .

and doesnt every striker have glaring misses vis ? especially in away games.

Look everyone ! inter coped with crouch and i cant argue with that fact, but they didnt reckon with an on fire bale, we got nothing out the match but self belief that we can take into every game we play against top tier sides this season, but the main theme of my argument is that no one is blaming the defence but picking on crouch for not taking scant chances.

In my opinion bassong and hutton arent first team material but back up only ! they did their best but they are just not good enough in this class of game.............but of course they arent to blame at all, its all lain at crouch,s door.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:23

Well I dont know about 4-4 Baz lol but it were a poor attempt by him , up there with the Bent/Sandra miss but I think maybe we should clear it up for Lew with some ratings out of ten ...

Gomes 1 .... on for 8 mins picked the ball out the net and then got sent off ..1/10 for looking the part and -9 for poor decision making ..

Hutton 3 ... all 3 points Ive awarded are for his forward play , often caught out of position defensively..

Gallas 5 ... tried his best with some last ditch attempts to stop the goals but was exposed by poor midfield defending ...

Bassong 5 ... likewise to Gallas but for the Gomes sending off he left, BAE totally isolated with his poor positional play ...

BAE 5 ... did ok but just ok with most of Milans goal threats coming through our middle or down our right ...

Lennon 7 ... gradualy getting his confidence back going forward ...

Huddlstone 4 ... one of his poorest games in a long time for us , the quickness of the Inter Milan play down the middle often had him bamboozled..

Jenas 6 ... At fault for letting the Milan player go past him uncontested for the first goal . Improved 2nd half , kept going

Modric 4 ... On for 8 minutes , not enough time to show anything ..

Bale 9 ... our left back/winger/striker what can we say but the usual class with on this occasion the icing..

Crouch 4 ... rarely looked a goal threat, missed a great chance and as the lone striker, rarely found his team mates due to his slow running and slow control of the ball ..

Subs
    Carlo 6 ...made a couple of decent saves thou a little dissapointing with his attempts for their 3rd and 4th goals..
    Keane 5.... his appearence seemed to at least spark his team mates into more belief they could move the ball forward with short passes...
    Wilson 5 ... did okay and got his usual booking ...

Poor performances all round mainly in the first half .. We were on the same pitch as the CL holders ffs so we should be ready to battle and impose ourselves in the opening third of the game by keeping it tight, being as close to our opponents faces as possible when we're not in possesion of the ball.. We stood off them , we have to learn you just cant do this against any opponent let alone teams like Inter Milan.. Frustrate the quality opponent in his own backyard , then strike out at him when he has lost a little of his confidence ... ....
    Better in the second half with our damaged limitation performances but Bales 3 goals shouldnt mask our deficiencies and our criticisms (if explained) and are nothing to do with looking for a scapegoat ,, at least not from where Im sitting ....

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:35

Exactly arnie ! bales goals shouldnt mask the crap defensive performance not crouchs, which your ratings sum up.

ok crouch on 4 is ok by me but look at the other ratings......lol

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:49

For me to slate Crouchinhio is about as regular as Hayleys Comet ! I see his over-all team play and appreciate the chances he makes for others. Lew he far too often misses chances and easy one's to boot. As the lone striker it was his job to recieve the ball, hold the ball, bring team-mates into play and relieve the pressure. Especially so when you're down to 10 men ! He failed miserably last night. Often he does well in situations like that but last night he never. No it's not just down to him. With the exception of Bale & Lennon every other Spurs player was total pants in the 1st half. The 2nd half was different and with the exception of Crouch every other player lifted their game 100% and gave a fair showing of them-selves. So 1 bad for most, 2 good halfs for our wide lads and 2 bad halfs for Crouchinhio. Thats why he's taking flak. Next time he has a good game for the sake of the team but doesn't score and even misses a few I don't expect to be alone in defending him from his detractors . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 07:50

Lew ,, Im saying our future should be beyond Crouch thats where we perhaps differ ?

Like I said in another Crouch thread cant remember which one now , oh for match threads Smile lol .. I'd had been happier if Harry had kept Modric on, taken Crouch off and reorganised with maybe Lennon our most upfield player ... I'd have been more happier seeing Kranjcar out there upfront than what I were seeing in our forward play where it seemed Crouch were either giving away free kicks or losing possesion ....

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:09

Well crouch is 30 now arnie so he definately isnt the spurs future, my argument is that he alone is getting a blast of negativity for his performance last night but the defence was to blame for the overall result imho.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:17

lew its our defence the blame for goin 3 0 down. I lov pav but i seen him not do much better up front on hes own. i remember berbatov having one of hes best games when we played bolton and was 3 0 up at half time and got man sent off just before half time.

crouch and pav should watch that game and see what a lone striker job is
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:31

Berba has superb ball control skills , Lought and also has the speed which he's not often given credit for .... Crouch is down more than a level on both counts so however much he watches a video of that Bolton game , I doubt he would be able to do what we'd like him to do , certainly not away against Inter which is also a far cry to Bolton at home ... Was just to big an ask by Harry especialy after we went a man down ...
    Harry seemed to set us out last night with Modric to fulfill the VDV role , i.e get alongside Crouch for the knockdowns ....
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:40

lucio and samuel are probably the best central defensive partnership in europe. crouch never had a chance against these guys, not on his own anyway. his touch aint good enough to keep hold of it and his awareness aint near good enuff to bring others in, crouch is usefull and at his best imo with a partner and making things for them and feeding off there efforts. the plan was flawed in the beginning and that leads me to blame harrys system. but last night was purely down to our defence and a reluctance to tackle in the first ten minutes, not crouch, not this time anyway.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 22 2010, 09:38

Interesting thread this and, afer watching the highlights, I think the only one who's touched on the actual problem was Arnie. For me, it was the midfield where we were at our weakest. Redknapp actually played the formation that I suggested, 4-1-4-1 (I'm convinced he is spending time on this board you know and I'm expecting my call up to the coaching staff any day now LOL), but he played Thudd in the hole instead of Palacios. This, I believe, was the mistake as his brief was to try and snuff out Snieders play. Palacios would have been the better option for this as he is far more defencively minded and would have pressured more if that had been his brief. As it was, Snieders movement caused Thudd lots of problems, resulting in their most incisive play coming through the middle with Snieder stretching the pitch by playing in the hole behind Eto'o.
    Their play was really rather simple, and was how I've been advocating the use of Crouch. Play it into the hole, snieder then brought their wingers into play who stayed out wide and were able to get in behind the fullbacks from intelligent diagonal balls via Snieder. Their first 2 goals came as a result of this.

Effectively they were able to pull our midfield around so much that they lost any semblance of shape. After that they cut us apart at will. Harry dropped the ball there really. Not with the formation but with the personnel used in that formation.

In the second half, however, you could see that he'd seen this himself and adjusted to suit. It's a shame they hit 3 in 14 minutes really, had they gotten just the 2 then I think the game would have been much closer.

The defence can't really be blamed too harshly here IMO. They were badly exposed in all areas by the movement in front of them. Yes, they probably could have done better but the majority of the first half was played in our half so it wasn't just those 4 doing the defending was it? 2 of the 4 goals came from non strikers with Eto'o only getting a brace thanks to a penalty won by a midfielder.

BTW, I wouldn't be too harsh on Gomez, it wasn't really that rash a challenge. He was out very quick, as should be expected, and made a genuine attempt to stop the ball, his momentum brought the player down. Had the ref been less eager to show red he could have taken into account that Benny was on the players shoulder when he hit the deck. I don't have TOO many complaints about the red but I feel a better ref would have considered this and shown yellow.

Now some have made a point of highlighting our defensive frailties but, despite being a man down, they caused us very little trouble in the second half after Harry tweaked the midfield. Tells a story that really don't you think? Then the superb Bale saved us too many blushes with some truly World Class finishing, the run for the first was superb.

All in all I believe it was our set up that let us down, not individual performance. That formation works with the right personnel so I'd hope to see it used again away, with Wilson used in the role that best suits him.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Oct 22 2010, 09:48

As usual, well put ion. Repped.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 22 2010, 10:03

Thank you Sah!
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 22 2010, 10:17

As per , yes Baz good post Ion ... Agree , we cant just blame the defenders as we were poor defensively as team ...
    Also Ion makes a good point about Wilson and perhaps this was the game to have given him a start , hindsight I know .....

Harry has been right to take Wilson out of the side this season due to his below par performances... Hudd and Modric in the latter part of last season were excellent .......This season although we aint conceeding goals in the premeirship ( not enough clean sheets thou) in Europe thats now 10 conceeded in the five games ..... Perhaps in the next couple of months Harry will give Wilson more playing time , we shall see ...
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 22 2010, 10:40

ArnieArdiles wrote:As per , yes Baz good post Ion ... Agree , we cant just blame the defenders as we were poor defensively as team ...
    Also Ion makes a good point about Wilson and perhaps this was the game to have given him a start , hindsight I know .....

Harry has been right to take Wilson out of the side this season due to his below par performances... Hudd and Modric in the latter part of last season were excellent .......This season although we aint conceeding goals in the premeirship ( not enough clean sheets thou) in Europe thats now 10 conceeded in the five games ..... Perhaps in the next couple of months Harry will give Wilson more playing time , we shall see ...

The thing though, Arnie, is that Harry took him out of a 4-4-2 formation as he was being found out there. Putting him in the hole of a 4-1-4-1 formation would have suited him right down to the ground as he would have just sat there on snieder, whenever he pushed up into that area. It's not hindsight, I actually stated the formation as such with Wilson right there. That would have left Thudd and Moddle to play in exactly the way they have been playing together, so effectively, since last season, stifling the forward runs, breaking up the play in the middle and leaving Wilson to deal with the ball in the 'corridor of uncertainty'. Snieder had all the time in the world to play his diagonal balls whereas Wilson would have been nipping at his heels, denying him the time to look up and pick a slide rule pass.

I'm not saying he would have stopped everything, as Snieder is top drawer quality, but he'd have severely restricted the quantity, thereby reducing the attempts on goal.

That type of formation is made for Palacios.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 05:30

ionman34 wrote:Interesting thread this and, afer watching the highlights, I think the only one who's touched on the actual problem was Arnie. For me, it was the midfield where we were at our weakest. Redknapp actually played the formation that I suggested, 4-1-4-1 (I'm convinced he is spending time on this board you know and I'm expecting my call up to the coaching staff any day now LOL), but he played Thudd in the hole instead of Palacios. This, I believe, was the mistake as his brief was to try and snuff out Snieders play. Palacios would have been the better option for this as he is far more defencively minded and would have pressured more if that had been his brief. As it was, Snieders movement caused Thudd lots of problems, resulting in their most incisive play coming through the middle with Snieder stretching the pitch by playing in the hole behind Eto'o.
    Their play was really rather simple, and was how I've been advocating the use of Crouch. Play it into the hole, snieder then brought their wingers into play who stayed out wide and were able to get in behind the fullbacks from intelligent diagonal balls via Snieder. Their first 2 goals came as a result of this.

Effectively they were able to pull our midfield around so much that they lost any semblance of shape. After that they cut us apart at will. Harry dropped the ball there really. Not with the formation but with the personnel used in that formation.

In the second half, however, you could see that he'd seen this himself and adjusted to suit. It's a shame they hit 3 in 14 minutes really, had they gotten just the 2 then I think the game would have been much closer.

The defence can't really be blamed too harshly here IMO. They were badly exposed in all areas by the movement in front of them. Yes, they probably could have done better but the majority of the first half was played in our half so it wasn't just those 4 doing the defending was it? 2 of the 4 goals came from non strikers with Eto'o only getting a brace thanks to a penalty won by a midfielder.

BTW, I wouldn't be too harsh on Gomez, it wasn't really that rash a challenge. He was out very quick, as should be expected, and made a genuine attempt to stop the ball, his momentum brought the player down. Had the ref been less eager to show red he could have taken into account that Benny was on the players shoulder when he hit the deck. I don't have TOO many complaints about the red but I feel a better ref would have considered this and shown yellow.

Now some have made a point of highlighting our defensive frailties but, despite being a man down, they caused us very little trouble in the second half after Harry tweaked the midfield. Tells a story that really don't you think? Then the superb Bale saved us too many blushes with some truly World Class finishing, the run for the first was superb.

All in all I believe it was our set up that let us down, not individual performance. That formation works with the right personnel so I'd hope to see it used again away, with Wilson used in the role that best suits him.

It was the midfield formation change due to modric being subbed early ion ! that was so obvious, point is for me is where was hutton for the first goal that came down his side of the pitch, hutton as so often was caught too far upfield and was chasing shadows when the goal went in.

The centre backs were static and obviously overawed and nervous, wasnt helped by gomes sending off, but as has been said palacios was the obvious player for this game.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Oct 23 2010, 06:31

STATIC ! GALLAS TURNING WAS LIKE THE BLOODY QE2

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 06:43

1st goal wasnt hutton fault. he had hes man who draged him out of poistion it was jenas who left hes man and got round the back. where was lennon he should be covering for hutton aswell

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 12:35

Loughtonlegend wrote:1st goal wasnt hutton fault. he had hes man who draged him out of poistion it was jenas who left hes man and got round the back. where was lennon he should be covering for hutton aswell

He,s always being dragged out of position lought ! hutton is crap at defending simple as abc, great bombing forwards to give credit where it is due but opposing teams will always concentrate raids down huttons side because the bloke is suspect.

Hutton is an ok squad player, he wouldnt be my first choice at right back though, nor would corluka because of his lack of pace, so kaboul coming back is a bonus.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 12:38

shearspur wrote:STATIC ! GALLAS TURNING WAS LIKE THE BLOODY QE2

Havent heard of him shear ! who does keweetoo play for? lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content