The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
BLAST FROM THE PAST ? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

BLAST FROM THE PAST ? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
SuneJim
LOBO
totalytot
BazSpur
Boltjean
ArnieArdiles
shearspur
11 posters

BLAST FROM THE PAST ?

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

BLAST FROM THE PAST ? Empty BLAST FROM THE PAST ?

Post by shearspur Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:18

just for a bit of debate, if you could have just ONE SPURS player back from the past, to fit into our team now . who would you pick and what would he bring that were missing. weve all got our own opinions of where were lacking so who is yours and would he fit in now with our other players ? mine would be greaves cos you just know he would be taking all these chances were missing.any thoughts?

BLAST FROM THE PAST ? Empty Re: BLAST FROM THE PAST ?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:28

Clive Allen for the same reason you give Shear. Just a touch too young to have seen Greavsie in his pomp but could have gone for Chvers onwards. Choose CA because 49 goals in one season is what we need right now from an individual . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:40

Clive Allen is a good shout , Vis to a good fun post from Shear..... I were thinking maybe Jurgen but I think Gary Lineker would be best with the players we currently have..
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Oct 25 2010, 06:43

hmmm all strikers so far, hope were not havin a dig at crouchinio lol
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Mon Oct 25 2010, 07:00

God Shear, there are so many but I am not sure they would fit in with the way the game is played today. Would Bobby Smith who had scored 14 goals at this stage of the season 50 years ago ?, and by the end of the season had scored 28 league goals. From 1957 to the end of the 60-61 season he scored a total of 121 league goals. Then we had White, Mackay, Hoddle, Jones, and Hoddle, so many, but I will go for Martin Chivers who scored 174 goals for Spurs, good with his head and feet, good controll of the ball when running at the defence, beating them and finishing with a cracking shot, how we need a forward like him today. imo a better player than Defoe for the simple reason he had the weight, nearly 14 stone to brush the defence aside and the hight 6 feet 1 inches to reach those crosses, and he was more consistent and certainly a far better player than Crouch who though good with his head is no good with his feet and is to static for my liking.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25 2010, 07:05

the thing with clive allen is he left after that great season. does anyone know why he left. how did he do once he left us.

i would say klinsmann. the guy could finish
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Mon Oct 25 2010, 07:18

Here you are Lought. Clive signed from QPR for £700,000, in 1984, he left in 1988 due to the fact he did not figure in Venables plans for the club signing for Bordeaux for £1 million. He also played for Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Man City, Chelsea, West Ham and Millwall, a total of , including us, 7 London clubs and 9 clubs in all. Never knew he played for the Arsenal

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25 2010, 07:48

i new he was at arsenal when he was young. i thought he left when pleat left in 87. so didnt he start any games the season after hes scored 49goals. it seems strange that when terry came in that he would not give clive a chance after scoring so many goals the preveious season. think im guna do sum research
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Oct 25 2010, 07:56

so still up the front end of things. i thought we were all berating the defence. wheres baz babysitting already lol

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:22

Boltjean wrote:Here you are Lought. Clive signed from QPR for £700,000, in 1984, he left in 1988 due to the fact he did not figure in Venables plans for the club signing for Bordeaux for £1 million. He also played for Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Man City, Chelsea, West Ham and Millwall, a total of , including us, 7 London clubs and 9 clubs in all. Never knew he played for the Arsenal

He was at arsenil Len but never actually played for them as . . . . .
    [there followed a most bizarre sequence of events which led to Allen leaving Arsenal within just two months of arriving at Highbury, having not played a single competitive match (although he did play three matches Arsenal's 1980-81 pre-season friendly campaign). He was sold in part-exchange to Crystal Palace in another seven-figure deal which saw England full back Kenny Sansom come the other way. There was a rumour that QPR and Palace had secured a deal for Allen on the condition that QPR did not sell Allen to Palace directly, and Arsenal acted as go-betweens. This has never been confirmed.] (from Wikipedia)

Also rumour has it he moved to France because back in the '80's the continentals where much better payers then English clubs . . . . . .

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:23

shearspur wrote:so still up the front end of things. i thought we were all berating the defence. wheres baz babysitting already lol

Lol, Shear. That made me laugh out loud mate REPPED for that little Gem. I wish I was Baby Sitting mate. Aint seen the little mite yet living in Wales but I am down in London next month round about this time of the month so will get my fiirst real sight of her then. Getting photo's emailed to me tomorrow. Who would I have back from the past? Well, I would have gone for Geaves or Chivers but they have gone. I guess Gascoine. He could score goals and set them up and he had that passion to play.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:31

Okies Shear time to pick a defender and I'm torn here Roberts or Mabbutt; Gough or Van Den Hauwe; England or Perryman; Timmy Attoube or Justin Edingburgh ????

Going for Roberts to put some steel & leadership into the back 4 but Mabbs & Goughy where close calls . . . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:40

i wondered how long before roberts was voted for, but it is very close with mabbutt as you say. one of my favorite pics is of mabbutt lifting the fa cup the smile and pride on his face is priceless for a club he loved. (take note shrek)you cant buy that
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Oct 25 2010, 08:53

Defensive wise I would go for Mike England. Great player with great positional sense and he was as hard as nails, tall and strong and I once saw him dribble the ball out of defence with the aplomb of a winger which got him prolonged applause from the WHL faithful.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Oct 25 2010, 23:42

We always seem to look at forwards first when we are asked to pick from the past and I would generaly do the same. Greaves, Chivers and my favourite of all Hoddle. But if it's based on who we need more than anything at the moment then I would certainly have a big shout for Mike England in defence. We really could do with his precence in the middle right now. But I have to go for DAVE MACKAY his leadership and strength would add so much to the team of today it would be just the icing on the cake for me.

Mikey M

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Oct 25 2010, 23:59

Loughtonlegend wrote:the thing with clive allen is he left after that great season. does anyone know why he left. how did he do once he left us.

i would say klinsmann. the guy could finish

Yep he makes our striker today look tame
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Tue Oct 26 2010, 02:49

I'm torn myself between Graham Roberts & Richard Gough.

Gough was only with us a season but was rock solid in defence & major reason behind our Final Appearance that year. plus i think i'm right he played every game.

But i'm going to have to go for Roberts. A natural born leader that lead from the front, inspired the rest of the team with own performances & was never backward in coming forward when he had some thing to say.

You could build a solid defence with him & Dawson at the back. They'd be tough & uncompromising. No striker would look forward to playing us.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Oct 26 2010, 16:59

Would of gone for GASCOINGNE, but with a midfield of Bale, Hudd, VDV, Modric and Lennon i will have to go for Lineker!!!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Oct 26 2010, 23:38

Chivers for me, he'd score shedloads with the type of service he'd get from Bale, Lennon, Hutton and Ekotto. Chivers was great in the air and would have buried the plethora of ariel chances we've had, so far, this season.

He wasn't too shabby on the deck either, so Thudd, VDV and Modric feeding him would have given him more.

He's the type of striker that, I think, would excel with Defoe and inspire him to greater heights. Give him some competition in the goalscoring stakes.

We'd bury teams with a striker like Chivers.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Wed Oct 27 2010, 20:15

For me there would be only one, Greaves'y, 220 goals in 321 league appearances.

But sod the goals, we would be straight back to the pub for a pint after the match and more than likely bump into him.

By the way, we have the 3rd best defence in the league right now so lets not get on their backs just yet.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Wed Oct 27 2010, 23:43

Must be Jimmy Greaves simply the best

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 04 2024, 15:10