The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
anicoll5
ionman34
SuneJim
LOBO
BazSpur
shearspur
10 posters

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster Empty Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 02:58

With the Olympic stadium bid back in the news following Karren Brady’s outburst over the Beckham loan, Tottenham’s Member of Parliament David Lammy has slammed the clubs plans to move out of the area.

Moving from North to East London was always going to be a contentious issue for many reasons, but Spurs have angered their MP who believes any move will cause irreparable damage to the area.

During a debate in Westminster, Lammy is quoted as saying: “Can it possibly be fair that Tottenham’s legacy from the Olympics is for the largest private employer to be allowed by this government to depart?”

Lammy would clearly prefer to see the current site redeveloped and went on to say: “Never did I imagine our successful Olympic bid would mean that residents of Tottenham, and those of Enfield, Waltham Forest and the whole of the Upper Lea Valley would have the heart and soul ripped out of their communities.”

Spurs will be meeting with Lammy later this month as the MP joins the growing list of dissenters against the Olympic Stadium plans.

http://www.tottenhamblog.com

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster Empty Re: Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 02:59

London 2012 - Johnson accused of Spurs bias

Tottenham MP David Lammy made the allegation - which was swiftly denied by City Hall officials - during remarks to a committee in Westminster.
    Tottenham Hotspur - backed by American entertainment giant AEG - and West Ham, who are supported by Newham Council and UK Athletics, are locked in a two-way battle to takeover the stadium in 2013.

West Ham have pledged to keep it while Spurs want to deliver a promised legacy for track and field by redeveloping the national sports centre at Crystal Palace, a move opposed by UK Athletics officials and London 2012 chairman Seb Coe.
    Johnson though has insisted he has no preference, although has long stated his desire that the stadium has a high-profile post-Games tenant.
    "There are rumours that the Mayor encouraged Spurs to bid and that seems to me to be an absurd and ridiculous decision in relation to the poverty and regeneration of one of the poorest communities in this country," said Lammy, who fears his constituency will become a 'dustbowl' if the Premier League high-fliers relocate from N17 to E15.
    "The Olympic Park Legacy Company have to consider the whole of London, not just the east of the city, when thinking about the Olympic legacy."

More than the Games / Eurosport
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster Empty Re: Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Post by shearspur Thu Jan 13 2011, 04:05

good old lammy. keep it up mate

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 05:58

From the BBC website posted today @ 15:51 . . . . . . .

Tottenham 'would demolish Olympic Stadium after Games'

Tottenham Hotspur FC has confirmed it would demolish most of the Olympic Stadium if it won the bid to take it over after the 2012 Games.

Stadium architect David Keirle said the club would use its own money to redevelop the stadium for its use.

Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United have both submitted bids to occupy the facility after the Olympics has begun.

The Olympic Park Legacy Committee (OPLC) will recommend who will take over the stadium by 28 January.

The decision will then be agreed by London mayor Boris Johnson and the government.

Tottenham Hotspur FC says it would demolish the stadium because it feels the venue is not suitable for football with seats being too far away, for example.

Architect David Keirle said: "It's not entirely demolition. We will be using some of the undercroft (cellar) but we're not using much.

"We may be taking some elements to Crystal Palace for its redevelopment."

He said it would be an easier and cheaper solution for Tottenham to go to the Olympic Stadium rather than redevelop its ground White Hart Lane, as the club would spend around the same but get more for its money.

If West Ham wins the bid, it has offered to reduce the 80,000-seat venue in Stratford, east London, to a 60,000 capacity after the Games.

It would cost the club between £150m and £180m to convert the venue by extending the roof, creating a pitch, turnstiles, toilets and space for corporate hospitality. The club would borrow £40m from Newham Council.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:03

So it would cost the same amount of money to build as Northumberland Park? That answers a question I wondered about before. So if it's the same amount of money is it worth selling our souls to move to Stratford, even allowing for extra seats? The answer it would seem is yes. We could have a near 60000 capacity ground at the Lane and I believe they could add to that at a later date. Money, money, money.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:07

all thi bollox about the olympic stadium is simple that bollox

Levy is stalling for time cos he dont want to really build at WHL because the cost has increased by 150mill, i don't blame him, but to think us fans would ever except moving From WHL is basically underestimating the fans taking us for mugs , have you been to eastham & stratford, its like down town Dehli , no way ..the fans need a new chairmen if he ever thought for one minute we will except it stratford hotspurs i think not
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:13

The fans don't count Lobs. If he wants to do it he will. We are being rode over rough shod and all in the name of the pound sign.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:31

lets hope the olympic park comittee see sense and let spammers stay in their own sh*t hole area and we can stay in ours and develop our sh*t hole better than their sh*t hole.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:48

Lol Shear. REPPED.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu Jan 13 2011, 08:08

you gotta laugh or youd cry over this stadium debacle eh baz, cheers anyway
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Thu Jan 13 2011, 08:59

Is Lammy having a laugh,,,, the heart & soul of the community being ripped out lol. No one in the Tottenham area cares about the club any more. There's no Spurs fans left any more. The place is a crap hole full of immigrants that couldn't care.

Plus he wants to realise it's all the demands the local council have put on the club to redevelop the whole area for these people that has caused the price to rise by 150 million & over. That's why Levy's looking else where & i can't say i blame him.

I want to stay where we are as much as anyone but i don't like being held to ransom the way we are. It's actually the council that's making us want to move so the blokes a mug. Let us rebuild what we want to build & let the council do there refurbishments for the local residents the inhabit the slum because they don't put any contributions into the area for themselves so why should we.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Jan 13 2011, 09:20

Have any of you given thought that the whole thing is a ploy to force the Council to review their demands? Lammy is currently bleating about what they will lose, well I'm expecting Levy to let him sweat for a bit longer then go back to him with an, 'Alright then Sunshine, where's your incentive for us to stay?'

Let's not be so quick to think the worst of our Danny. He's done pretty good by us, up until now, I see no reason, yet, to believe he isn't just being extremely astute in dealing with the Council.

Let's face it chaps, if they were' Giants of Business' then they'd hardly be wasting their lives away working for Harringey Council now would they?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 16:43

SuneJim wrote:Is Lammy having a laugh,,,, the heart & soul of the community being ripped out lol. No one in the Tottenham area cares about the club any more. There's no Spurs fans left any more. The place is a crap hole full of immigrants that couldn't care.

Plus he wants to realise it's all the demands the local council have put on the club to redevelop the whole area for these people that has caused the price to rise by 150 million & over. That's why Levy's looking else where & i can't say i blame him.

I want to stay where we are as much as anyone but i don't like being held to ransom the way we are. It's actually the council that's making us want to move so the blokes a mug. Let us rebuild what we want to build & let the council do there refurbishments for the local residents the inhabit the slum because they don't put any contributions into the area for themselves so why should we.

I have repped jim on this view because sometimes it takes a bit of nerve to come out with what afterall is the blatant truth, without other posters coming at your throat on here for doing so.

It is a slum, its not a place of natural north londoners anymore and i have known that for years, as jim says its full of immigrants that have very little interest in tottenham hotspur football club.

Yes its where it all began, its where i used to go in the 60s 70s and 80s and what a fcking palaver it was to get there, and to get out of there and home after a game.

I personally think east london is a fcking dump too, but i can see where levy is coming from.

The one point everyone is missing i believe is that many a spurs fan wants parity with the likes of man utd and chelsea, man utd has a capacity of around 75,000 while we squash in 36,000 at whl, if we want parity with man utd and that means the financial clout to get in the worlds best players then we aint going to do it on an attendance of 36,000 per home game.

No one wants to move to straford lets make that clear, i am not any different but i do want my club to compete with the best in the premiership.....sadly if we all want that then there may have to be a sacrifice.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Thu Jan 13 2011, 20:54

ionman34 wrote:
    Have any of you given thought that the whole thing is a ploy to force the Council to review their demands? Lammy is currently bleating about what they will lose, well I'm expecting Levy to let him sweat for a bit longer then go back to him with an, 'Alright then Sunshine, where's your incentive for us to stay?'

b]

[b]I think most of us know that's how it started out, that's why we put in bid because there was a closing date that has now expired. It's obvious Mr Levy is trying to use it as leverage against the ridiculous demands the council are making on the club. They should be just glad we were prepared to stay.

It has to look as realistic as possible to have the desired effect. But there will come a time when the bluff wins or is called & that's when you have to look at it & say maybe a move is the best thing for the club.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:15

[quote="lewspurs"]
    SuneJim wrote:Is Lammy having a laugh,,,, the heart & soul of the community being ripped out lol. No one in the Tottenham area cares about the club any more. There's no Spurs fans left any more. The place is a crap hole full of immigrants that couldn't care.

b]

I have repped jim on this view because sometimes it takes a bit of nerve to come out with what afterall is the blatant truth, without other posters coming at your throat on here for doing so.

It is a slum, its not a place of natural north londoners anymore and i have known that for years, as jim says its full of immigrants that have very little interest in tottenham hotspur football club.

quote]

[b]The area now is a total joke. It's dead most pubs only open on Match Day's because there is no business at any other time. Therefore the prices are astronomical. The local shops have prices for the locals & one for Footy Fans. That's all the local community want from the club the chance to rip off the supporters.

Now i know that most of London is let's say cosmopolitan in it's inhabitants & that's fine. But don't try & tell me losing the club from an area that's main language isn't English will rip the heart out of the place.

All Spurs Fans i know moved out of the area, because it has no TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR heart left, it's been killed by the very people Lammy wants us the rebuild a decaying suburb for.

I hope this doesn't come across as racism, because it's just cold hard facts from an area i visit a lot & know about.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Thu Jan 13 2011, 23:31

Rip the heart out of the community - perleez

If you wonder where all the Japanese tourists and Norwegian stag parties who fill up the Emirates each matchday come from look no further than the satisfaction of the demand by Islington council that 15,000 of the season tickets must be allocated to 'residents' with addresses in the LB Islington - it is big, organised, dishonest business worth millions a year

There is an agenda here from Lammy and his team, and it is a little murkier than his speeches might lead you to believe (imo)

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 00:23

A tide of support has already seen nearly 4,500 signatures to a petition for Spurs to stay in Tottenham by a group of fans calling themselves We Are N17.

The group also has the backing of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, and has distributed posters and leaflets arguing against any move to Stratford’s Olympic Stadium.

We asked Tim Framp, the We Are N17 spokesman, to explain why the group is campaigning so hard to keep Spurs at White Hart Lane.

He said: “It’s all about the traditions and the area that the club represents. It is easy to argue that football is an international game now but to start moving across London starts to eat away at some of the heritage. This would take a big bite out of it.

“You can understand that the club is a business and it’s making a business decision, but this is not like Vodaphone moving out of Newbury.

“You can’t treat a football club like any other type of business. It is not just all the people who work in that business, but it’s all the people who support that business in the wider community [that are affected]. It’s all about representing the locality.

“It breaks down to a financial argument versus an emotional viewpoint. A lot of the fans will take that emotional argument.

“[Club chairman] Daniel Levy says he has to do the right thing by his shareholders. But Daniel Levy owns shares in the club, so any financial improvement in Tottenham’s circumstances is of direct benefit to him.”

muswellhilljournal24.co.uk

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 01:15

A trademark expert has told the Standard the Premier League club could face legal action unless it voluntarily dropped “Tottenham”.

Haringey council or local traders could bring the action against the club if it left its home of more than 100 years. Legal experts believe it could be renamed “Hotspurs” or “Spurs” since adopting the name “Stratford Hotspur” would damage the club's brand value.

The fate of the Olympic stadium will be decided at the end of this month with Spurs and West Ham United vying to make the 80,000-seat Stratford venue their new home for the 2014-15 season.

Leading intellectual property lawyer Alexander Carter-Silk, of law firm Speechly Bircham, said: “It is our view that the club's exclusive right to use the name Tottenham Hotspur would be open to legal challenge if the club continued to use the Tottenham reference when it ceased to have any direct reference with the locality.”

Tottenham MP David Lammy, who is resisting the move, compared the situation to that of Wimbledon football club. It relocated to Milton Keynes in 2003 and was voluntarily renamed MK Dons. This allowed AFC Wimbledon to assume the town's name.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Fri Jan 14 2011, 03:17

and if spurs move to there shiny new stadium they wont rip off us supporters with prices for food and beer ? wembley ring any bells. and as for who lives round there now i couldnt care less cos i go to the match have a beer and go home. while im there as far as i am concerned i am with 30000 other like minded supporters and a great atmosphere, the inhabitants i dont give a thought to.. that place is our spiritual home and full of great history and memorys for most of us and why should we just walk away from that when we can stay and rebuild.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Fri Jan 14 2011, 03:55

shearspur wrote:and if spurs move to there shiny new stadium they wont rip off us supporters with prices for food and beer ? wembley ring any bells. and as for who lives round there now i couldn't care less cos i go to the match have a beer and go home. while I'm there as far as i am concerned i am with 30000 other like minded supporters and a great atmosphere, the inhabitants i dont give a thought to.. that place is our spiritual home and full of great history and memorys for most of us and why should we just walk away from that when we can stay and rebuild.

Don't get me wrong i don't want to leave i'm certainly one that couldn't bear the thought of moving from WHL. As you say it's our ancestral home & steeped in a rich club history the likes of which, most clubs could only dream of but you have to draw the line some where Mate.

My problem is i find it disgusting we're being held to ransom to rebuild an area that has been run into the ground by the local community, in fact i find it unacceptable simple as.

Now that is why Mr Levy is playing hard ball here. I don't want to leave because if you think about it we won't be able to keep the name Tottenham, we'd have to be Stratford Spurs & that sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. So don't make the mistake of thinking i'm pro moving,,,,, i'm just anti being made the Councils bitch & having to bend over & take all they throw at us.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Jan 14 2011, 04:07

Enforced change of name ?

Leading intellectual property lawyer Alexander Carter-Silk, of law firm Speechly Bircham, said: “It is our view that the club's exclusive right to use the name Tottenham Hotspur would be open to legal challenge if the club continued to use the Tottenham reference when it ceased to have any direct reference with the locality.”

Well Mr Carter- Silk it may have escaped your notice, being such a expert an' all, but Millwall are not actually located in Millwall, Queens Park Rangers are not actually in Queens Park, West Ham not in West Ham, and Fulham are in Putney not Fulham where Chelsea have somehow ended up !

Next bit of nonsense please ....................

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 05:08

Tottenham's bid to take over the Olympic Stadium has suffered a blow after Jacques Rogge revealed he was against its demolition.

International Olympic Committee president Rogge wants London 2012 bosses to keep their promise to ensure an athletics track remains at the arena after the Games but Spurs have proposed to take the stadium apart and replace it with a 60,000-capacity purpose-built football ground, while revamping Crystal Palace athletics stadium.
    Rogge told the Evening Standard the IOC had "always been keen on a scheme whereby a running track would be retained".
    He added: "I don't think there is a lack of will and commitment on the side of (London 2012 chief) Sebastian Coe...
    "I think (Coe) will fight for that. I think he will be successful and we support that.
    "There will be a track either here or there and we would prefer to have one in the Olympic Stadium."
    Meanwhile, it has been claimed Spurs could be forced to change their name if they move from White Hart Lane to Stratford.
    Leading intellectual property lawyer Alexander Carter-Silk, of law firm Speechly Bircham, said: "It is our view that the club's exclusive right to use the name Tottenham Hotspur would be open to legal challenge if the club continued to use the Tottenham reference when it ceased to have any direct reference with the locality."
    That would further anger fans opposed to a move east.
    Spurs, who also have an alternative plan to rebuild White Hart Lane, continue to insist they will not make a decision on that front until a preferred bidder is chosen in just over two weeks.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:00

BANG ON JIM 100% WITH YA I THINK SOME ON HERE ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD TRY WALKING DOWN TOTTENHAM HIGH STREET ON A NON FOOTBALL DAY LOL THE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL BE MUGGED TOTTENHAM IS A SLUM

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:03

Jims post is spot on legs and i am not just agreeing with him, i have loved the few tussles jim and me have had on here and i will argue the night away with him if i think he is wrong ! in this case he is right.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:15

spurslegend wrote:BANG ON JIM 100% WITH YA I THINK SOME ON HERE ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD TRY WALKING DOWN TOTTENHAM HIGH STREET ON A NON FOOTBALL DAY LOL THE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL BE MUGGED TOTTENHAM IS A SLUM

So Leggy would you sell the soul of your football team for a pleasent afternoon stroll ? Surely the regeneration of the area that comes with redevelopment would work wonders for the 'auld' neighbourhood . . . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06 2024, 14:02