The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
anicoll5
ionman34
SuneJim
LOBO
BazSpur
shearspur
10 posters

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 Empty Re: Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:53

David Lammy an MP who is bitterly opposed to Tottenham Hotspur's bid to move to the Olympic Park, has vowed to start legal action to stop the club taking the name with them if they win the right to move east.

The Tottenham MP has sought legal advice from experts in intellectual property on the possibility of winning an action preventing Spurs from using the name if they move from the borough and has been told he has a strong case.

Lammy, an intellectual property minister in the previous Labour administration, said: "Tottenham Hotspur was set up by a bunch of young people at All Hallows church in Tottenham 120 years ago. In the event that the current owners of Spurs take the club to Stratford, a new club will emerge. This is no different from the situation that emerged with MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon.

"Locally I will work with any new team, with the local authority, to ensure we retain the name Tottenham. They will have to take on a different name if they are to leave. I will protect the interests of Tottenham people in ensuring we don't have a club on the other side of London called Tottenham Hotspur that does not reflect at all the interests of the local community as it stands today."

Alexander Carter-Silk, head of intellectual property and technology at the law firm Speechly Bircham, said he had advised Lammy that there is an arguable case. "Anybody could apply to the trademark registry and say this is misleading or deceptive. It could be anyone with a reasonable interest in the mark being removed. The club could carry on using the name without a trademark. But then they would be extremely vulnerable to an action for passing off."

In his letter to Lammy, he said: "This is a complex area which is evolving rapidly. However in the short time we have had to consider this, it is our initial view that the Club's exclusive right to use the name "Tottenham" Hotspur would be open to legal challenge if the Club continued to use the Tottenham reference when it ceased to have any direct association with the locality."
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster - Page 2 Empty Re: Lammy slams Olympic move at Westminster

Post by BazSpur Fri Jan 14 2011, 10:27

It's not just Tottenham that is situated in an unsavoury area. You take any football stadium and I bet they aren't much better. Ever been to Old Trafford PMSL the stadium is great but the surrounding area is the same as any other area surrounding a football stadium and like Tottenham most of their supporters come from outside the area. In united's case way outside the area. Salford is not a place I would want to walk through when it's not a match day. And what about Stratford? Is the area there any better? My Daughter who used to work that way reckons it's as bad as Tottenham. Her words were "It's a sh*t hole".As Shearspur said in another thread of the Spammers "You take over the stadium in your sh*t hole and we'll build a new stadium in our sh*t hole".
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Fri Jan 14 2011, 11:02

VisionarySound wrote:
    spurslegend wrote:BANG ON JIM 100% WITH YA I THINK SOME ON HERE ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD TRY WALKING DOWN TOTTENHAM HIGH STREET ON A NON FOOTBALL DAY LOL THE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL BE MUGGED TOTTENHAM IS A SLUM

So Leggy would you sell the soul of your football team for a pleasent afternoon stroll ? Surely the regeneration of the area that comes with redevelopment would work wonders for the 'auld' neighbourhood . . . . . . .

No one is getting this why should we have to make good an area that has gone to the dog's. Just to stay there. For a community that doesn't care.

I think a few people don't know what's been asked of us? it's not just rebuilding the stadium & adding bit's & pieces to benefit the club.

We have to completely regenerate the area from community centers, parks & just area's people who have no affiliation to the club have to enjoy & it's wrong,,,,,,,, on so many levels it's obscene!!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jan 14 2011, 11:56

No, the focus seems to be that Tottenham is a sh*t hole and it would be better to move. So, we move from one sh*t hole to another sh*t hole. What's the point? Apart from saving money, which seems to be uppermost in Levy's mind. So fcuk the history, fcuk the spiritual home and fcuk the glory that we achieved and fcuk the name of Tottenham Hotspur. Lets save some money. That is what is obscene. Levy has said it himself. The main reason to move to Stratford is Money.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jan 15 2011, 00:05

why would you want to walk through there anyway if it wasnt a match day. i only want to go on a match day for the game not a stroll out with my family for a day out, and meeting the natives. you can call it nostalgic or romantic having ideas about where a club should stay but to me if they move out they have sold the soul of the club for monetary gain, which they will get any way if they stay and rebuild. so what if they have to regenerate the area financialy they have bloody earnt well out of it over the years, put a bit back rather than walking away and turning their back on it.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 00:53

Have to say, Given the choice of equal cost I would say stay but we are talking about a massive saving if we move. & When I say massive I mean Massive.

But more than that, what about our own self respect? I have seen Spurs ripped off by Harringey year after year, decade after decade without ever trying to help the club.

Spurs have pumped tens of Millions into the area and all we ever get is more greif and higher costs. I cant remember a single time when the council has gone out of it's way to help. I cant even remember a time when the council tried to clean the place up or improve the area. It's always been screw spurs for rates and hand outs to the community and give nothing back. We had crowed of 50, 60, even 70 thousend in the past and now we have to pay to upgrade the area to handle those crowds again, Why?

There are quite a few diehard local fans now but their wont be in 30 years time when the new stadium is paid for and needs filling nearly all fans will be coming from outside (how many fans that choose a club in the future will choose the hard to get to one in the sh*t hole town?)

Yes we are a proud club with a proud history but are we a stay at all costs where we are not appreciated and not supported club? Do we build the best stadium in europe only to have it's effect wrecked by the dump it resides in.

Do we keep linning Lammy's coffers, stay and suffer the restrictions of an underperforming area or do we give ourselves the breathing space to bcome the biggest club in England.

The build cost at OC is reported as £250M including renovating Palace for the athletics. that cost is fully recoverable by developing the land we own at WHL and that can be done on leace terms that match the leace we will have to take out at OC. Thats a zero cost developement after all is compleated. The Northumberland rd project is reported as £450M, well add the interest on that over 15 years or so and we are looking at nearer £550M. or you could say 2 £18M players a year for the next 15 years. Levy would have to be nut's not to consider it.

whatever happens next would be setting the club up for the next 100 years not just the next season. We could die in Tottenham in 50 years time and the town wouldnt care a bit.

The heart say's stay the head say's go & now is the best time to do it.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jan 15 2011, 01:14

so you will be an EAST london team, and maybe lose the name TOTTENHAM from the club? you will probably have a corporate sterile atmosphere with all your new found johnny come lately supporters bringing all their buisness associates for a good old feed up in their boxes not even watching the match, and to cap it all the history of THFC will be buried under the rubble of white hart lane beneath a mosque probably.yeah lets all P*ss off to hammers territory..nice
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 01:31

shearspur wrote:so you will be an EAST london team, and maybe lose the name TOTTENHAM from the club? you will probably have a corporate sterile atmosphere with all your new found johnny come lately supporters bringing all their buisness associates for a good old feed up in their boxes not even watching the match, and to cap it all the history of THFC will be buried under the rubble of white hart lane beneath a mosque probably.yeah lets all P*ss off to hammers territory..nice

WE will always be Tottenham Hotspur Football Club (not that we always were.)

We will still own WHL and could return at any time

Describing the atmosphere to suite your complaining is just daft so I'l ignore it.

The history of the club goes with the club, I dont want that history to end in a town where it has no support. If the fans can move out so can the club.

And it's Orient territory. Now theres a good ol traditional club for ya.

If the club represents anything it's the people that support it, & they just dont live here anymore.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jan 15 2011, 05:21

sid, can i ask do you still go to the lane to games now, i know you used to cos i met you briefly once in the gilpin with jim at the roma friendly a while back. i try to go prob 9-10 home games a season depending on tickets.my comment about the atmosphere was that in my opinion it will change if we detach from tottenham as a lot of old supporters will not travel to east london, granted you will get new people but will they have the same passion and affinity with the spurs name or will it just be people who fancy a prem game every now and then?. dont take me asking you in the wrong way, i just wondered whether you still go much nowadays with your flying and that.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 06:14

SuneJim wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:
    spurslegend wrote:BANG ON JIM 100% WITH YA I THINK SOME ON HERE ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD TRY WALKING DOWN TOTTENHAM HIGH STREET ON A NON FOOTBALL DAY LOL THE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL BE MUGGED TOTTENHAM IS A SLUM

So Leggy would you sell the soul of your football team for a pleasent afternoon stroll ? Surely the regeneration of the area that comes with redevelopment would work wonders for the 'auld' neighbourhood . . . . . . .

No one is getting this why should we have to make good an area that has gone to the dog's. Just to stay there. For a community that doesn't care.

I think a few people don't know what's been asked of us? it's not just rebuilding the stadium & adding bit's & pieces to benefit the club.

We have to completely regenerate the area from community centers, parks & just area's people who have no affiliation to the club have to enjoy & it's wrong,,,,,,,, on so many levels it's obscene!!!

Jim you say why regenerate an area for people who don't care ? Maybe regeneration would make them care ? If people want a ground in a salubrious & genteel area perhaps the club should move to Henly-on-Thames ? Just rename the club Franchise FC ! Where-ever they may move they will be no more than the the MK Dons of the Premier League ! Spurs have always prided themselves on being a community club. They should remain so. The heart of the community. The clue is in the name and that name is Tottenham, not Stratford. I do see the arguments of the 'lets move' faction but cannot agree with them. When the stadium re-build was first suggested Levy stated that the monies could be raised and would not be a millstone. The only benefit of a move Stratford would be a smaller amount of revenue required. This would only benefit the shareholders who could see more return for selling the clubs soul.Damn investing for the future lets take the handfull of quick & easy Shekels. This saved money would not benefit team strengthing as it wouldn't exsist in the first place. One way to generate a fanbase for the future is to have sucess & flair players. A move to Stratford wouldn't gurantee this. The other fanbase is the 'family heirloom'. Grandad, Dad,Son, Grandson all support them. The move could weaken this core support. I have read that 10,000+ people would stop watching Spurs should they move. It's very likely that those missing bodies would be easily replaced. But by whom ? Members of the chattering classes who find it "jolly good fun to watch soccer games with the great unwashed" ? Or maybe busloads of Japanese & Indian tourists ? Not a stable or active fan base at all. This issue will continue to divide fans until the final decision is made. We will not own the stadium out-right either. We will co-own with AEG who will stage concerts there. Will we end up like Wembley ? A game on a Saturday then a rock concert the following weekend followed by a mid-week European game on a churned up cow pasture ? The thing that amazes me most is that anyone would entertain the idea of allowing someone to tear down a purpose built stadium that will have had about two and a half weeks use through the summer of 2012 only . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Jan 15 2011, 06:44

Money, money, money. What was it Keith Burkinshaw said as he left Spurs? "There used to be a football club over there!".

Last edited by BazSpur on Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:07; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 07:13

shearspur wrote:why would you want to walk through there anyway if it wasnt a match day. i only want to go on a match day for the game not a stroll out with my family for a day out, and meeting the natives. you can call it nostalgic or romantic having ideas about where a club should stay but to me if they move out they have sold the soul of the club for monetary gain, which they will get any way if they stay and rebuild. so what if they have to regenerate the area financialy they have bloody earnt well out of it over the years, put a bit back rather than walking away and turning their back on it.

Well thats the point shear ! why walk through there if it isnt a match day ? so if thats the only attraction move with the club, whats the problem ? because we all have to face it , football isnt the working mans sport anymore..

The thing is that its a new age, that was the area that spawned the club we support but it doesnt mean we have to abandon it , and we dont have to stay in the victorian era...

Listen, the local council havent done fck all to improve the amenities of the area, and now its threatened with a big cash cow leaving the area, it doesnt like it.

I have to say that to take the club to a new level it needs to sell itself, to make itself amenable and to house all its supporters, and make no mistake tottenham hotspur have a massive support country wide.....stuck in a depressed area that is hard to access doesnt help its cause in the slightest.

If we lose the tottenham name then thats ok...hotspurs will do me.....lets face it most of us are called spurs supporters anyway, so why do i keep hearing stratford mentioned......we will always be spurs.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 07:26

shearspur wrote:and if spurs move to there shiny new stadium they wont rip off us supporters with prices for food and beer ? wembley ring any bells. and as for who lives round there now i couldnt care less cos i go to the match have a beer and go home. while im there as far as i am concerned i am with 30000 other like minded supporters and a great atmosphere, the inhabitants i dont give a thought to.. that place is our spiritual home and full of great history and memorys for most of us and why should we just walk away from that when we can stay and rebuild.

You can always take your own beer and food shear ! jocolor

Seriously 30,000 like minded people would move with spurs wherever they go, yeah it is a spiritual home and steeped in successful history...whose to say it cant happen anywhere else..

As for rebuilding at whl ! yeah we are all for it, the council just throw obstacles in the way, they dont want spurs to leave but dont want to help improve the local amenities.

Sorry shear but enough is enough...spurs will always be spurs to me wherever they move.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jan 15 2011, 07:38

so your telling me you will go there just fo a day out on non match days ? no? so that is the point what does it matter if the area is a dump which it wont be if its re developed. this could only happen to us, most succesful 2 seasons in years and we have this f*cking distraction hanging over us and in the media all the time. unbelievable. sorry if you think im over the top in my opinion but i just hate the thought of moving. i been going since 70s with mates , family, and now my son and got a lot of good memorys there.everyones got their opinion on this and whos to say whos right or wrong, but is everything about money now.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:08

shearspur wrote:so your telling me you will go there just fo a day out on non match days ? no? so that is the point what does it matter if the area is a dump which it wont be if its re developed. this could only happen to us, most succesful 2 seasons in years and we have this f*cking distraction hanging over us and in the media all the time. unbelievable. sorry if you think im over the top in my opinion but i just hate the thought of moving. i been going since 70s with mates , family, and now my son and got a lot of good memorys there.everyones got their opinion on this and whos to say whos right or wrong, but is everything about money now.

Yeah of course i will be going there on non match days shear...... jocolor does the pope smoke dope ?

To tell the honest truth shear all this stuff should be taken to the local council because without spurs it is one hell of a depressed area, they should be falling over backwards trying to help the tottenham hotspur cause......whoever else brings so much money into such a sh*t area, and ripping off the fans for all they are worth for a fcking pint of watered down gulp.

Sorry shear ! i am all for history and all that but its time to get out from there, as i said we can always stay as the hotspurs ....suits me fine.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:27

lewspurs wrote:
    shearspur wrote:why would you want to walk through there anyway if it wasnt a match day. i only want to go on a match day for the game not a stroll out with my family for a day out, and meeting the natives. you can call it nostalgic or romantic having ideas about where a club should stay but to me if they move out they have sold the soul of the club for monetary gain, which they will get any way if they stay and rebuild. so what if they have to regenerate the area financialy they have bloody earnt well out of it over the years, put a bit back rather than walking away and turning their back on it.

Well thats the point shear ! why walk through there if it isnt a match day ? so if thats the only attraction move with the club, whats the problem ? because we all have to face it , football isnt the working mans sport anymore..

The thing is that its a new age, that was the area that spawned the club we support but it doesnt mean we have to abandon it , and we dont have to stay in the victorian era...

Listen, the local council havent done fck all to improve the amenities of the area, and now its threatened with a big cash cow leaving the area, it doesnt like it.

I have to say that to take the club to a new level it needs to sell itself, to make itself amenable and to house all its supporters, and make no mistake tottenham hotspur have a massive support country wide.....stuck in a depressed area that is hard to access doesnt help its cause in the slightest.

If we lose the tottenham name then thats ok...hotspurs will do me.....lets face it most of us are called spurs supporters anyway, so why do i keep hearing stratford mentioned......we will always be spurs.

Lew if we take the first point of your argument to the extreme let's move the club to Brussels. Centre of Europe, wonderfull transport links & a huge catchment area. Pleasant city as well, worth a vist on non-match days. The idea that you can move anywhere and retain your idenity just dosen't hold water. The first thing to go is your individulism. The one-off identety that is the club you have always supported. From being Tottenham Hotspurs to Franchise FC. You can be born & raised in London and live in Manchester. Yes you are a Londoner but you live & thrive in Manchester. Probably feel homesick & yearn for your roots as well. Fact is you are no longer a part of where you come from, just another stranger in a strange town. Your closing point that we can lose the Tottenham name yet remain essentially the same club is flimsy as well. Ask supporters of FC United & AFC Wimbledon. FC United formed because of corparate geed. Hmm sounds like a club moving grounds to appease shareholders. AFC Wimbledon had their club stolen from them and moved to another area. Hmm that sounds familiar as well . . . . . .
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:45

shearspur wrote:sid, can i ask do you still go to the lane to games now, i know you used to cos i met you briefly once in the gilpin with jim at the roma friendly a while back. i try to go prob 9-10 home games a season depending on tickets.my comment about the atmosphere was that in my opinion it will change if we detach from tottenham as a lot of old supporters will not travel to east london, granted you will get new people but will they have the same passion and affinity with the spurs name or will it just be people who fancy a prem game every now and then?. dont take me asking you in the wrong way, i just wondered whether you still go much nowadays with your flying and that.

Fair Question:
    Yes I do go, not as often as you but I bet I'm louder.lol

My last match was Sunderland at home, Actually went on the invite of Carlos Cudicini just to name drop.

I am the classic example of someone who will go a lot more often if and when we have a stadium that allows casual booking of groups due to spare seats. I might even go for a season ticket or 3.

Their are estimated to be 1 Million Spurs fans, mostly in this country and mostly switched off to the idea of going due to the amount of times they have tried and failed to get tickets. It's fans like me that I believe will make up the numbers in a bigger stadium, Yes there will be the toffs and box fans but why not.

If it rains and I cant fly I get the hump. If Spurs loose everyone around me gets the hump. I was Spurs before I knew what it ment & I will die Spurs hopefully long after I have given up flying.

Why would I follow Spurs to the Olympic site? It's not a case of asking will it still be Spurs, It's a case of asking am I still Spurs. And I am.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:55

Have to say, all this crap about the area. It's the area that has stopped me from taking my wife and son to WHL many times & I certanly put the brakes on my wife & son going alone a long time ago.

I wonder how many years we are away from fans getting mugged on their way in. The town is a vile place.

Tottenham has done nothing for our club, we owe it nothing, the question remains what do we want for our club

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 08:59

Sid you walk around the West End of London on a Saturday afternoon & get mugged. The same goes for a housing estate in a place like Luton or the suburbs of a place lke Chislehurst . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 09:09

Network Partner blogger and general Internet nuisance extraordinaire Harry Hotspur has been up to his usual tricks and thrown a good few toys out of his pram.

It would seem a good number have hit Labour and more importantly Tottenham MP David Lammy!

HERE

The gloves are off.

I don’t like bullies and I feel Mr Lammy like most MP’s is boxing above his pay grade.

You champion the services of a West Ham affiliated Intellectual Property solicitor to wheel out some theoretical hogwash about Spurs being ‘sued’ if they moved don’t change the name? Masterstroke.

By the same logic you could take legal action against numerous individuals passing themselves off as Santa Claus – whilst balancing small children on their laps – in department stores globally every December.

Lammy you’re precisely the sort of guy I wouldn’t want to be stuck in a lift with you self promoting schmuck.

Lots of people waxing lyrical about the past. This little gem isn’t a cherished memory though, is it Dave?

You’re a London MP, with a constituency only 28 minutes away by Tube from Parliament, yet you claimed £12,041 for a second home. Sounds a straight-forward case in the long line of London MPs who had their expense claims widely publicised and heavily criticised during earlier this year? Except this time, there was one difference.

Wasn’t there, Dave?

The expense claim was published back in October 2004, got a bit of local media coverage and that was that.

Lucky man, that David Lammy, Labour MP for Tottenham.

From the Haringey Advertiser, 27 October 2004:

HARINGEY taxpayers have been forking out for Tottenham MP David Lammy to rent a second home in south London.

Mr Lammy admitted the expense in the first published account of MPs’ spending, and is among 32 outer London MPs claiming the second home allowance, worth up to £20,333 a year…

Mr Lammy said he stayed at the second home for three nights a week when he was working at Westminster, spending the rest of his week at his main home on the Harringay Ladder, 28 minutes from Westminster by tube.

He claimed £12,041 for the home between April 2003 and March 2004.

28 minutes away. You absolute rotter, Dave.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 09:14

Spurs fans opposed to the club's bid to move to the site of the Olympic Stadium in Stratford are to make their feelings known before the home match with Manchester United on Sunday.

Representatives of We are N17 yesterday met with the Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, to press their case and will collect signatures for a petition outside White Hart Lane before kick-off. Another group are believed to be planning a demonstration.

At the meeting, also attended by the MP for Tottenham, David Lammy, who has campaigned vociferously against the idea, the fans challenged Scudamore over the League's decision not to block the move.

But the League is insistent that neither West Ham nor Tottenham would be breaking rules requiring clubs to remain within their locality if they won the race to move to the Olympic Park in time for the 2015-16 season.

Tim Framps, one of the organisers of the We are N17 campaign, said they had collected more than 5,000 signatures for an online petition. The group are angry at the lack of consultation from the club over the move.

Spurs propose to demolish the Olympic Stadium and replace it with a purpose-built football ground. If they are granted preferred bidder status by the Olympic Park Legacy Company at the end of the month, Spurs will have to pay a sizeable non-returnable bond to demonstrate their seriousness.

"The first thing we're disappointed about is the lack of consultation. The fans should let their voices be known," Framps said. "The OPLC's decision depends on fans following the club. If there are 100,000 Spurs fans who want to go to Stratford, then fair enough. But I don't think there are and that's why they haven't asked us."

The group are calling on fans who oppose the move to lobby the OPLC, the mayor of London, Boris Johnson, and the government.

The issue could split fans as there are also groups campaigning in favour of the move. Likewise, West Ham fans have set up groups campaigning for and against their own bid.

Tottenham believe that once they see the proposal, fans will be convinced by the vision for the area and accept the argument that it will help Spurs compete with Europe's elite clubs.

The club's architects this week argued that retaining the athletics track, as West Ham propose, was incompatible with football. Instead, they have offered to revamp Crystal Palace as a 25,000 capacity athletics stadium, a proposal dismissed as a "poor consolation prize" by UK Athletics.

Spurs have pointed to a string of European examples, including Bayern Munich and Stuttgart, where the track has either been removed or a team have moved to a new football stadium.

Glenn Hoddle, the former Spurs midfielder and manager, has backed the idea of revamping the stadium. "I played for Monaco where there was a running track around the pitch and there was a lack of atmosphere," he said.

"Roma and Lazio have to play with a running track and there's always a lack of atmosphere, so I can totally understand why Spurs are looking to make the Olympic Stadium a football-style stadium. From a Spurs point of view, it's only right they try to make it into the best football stadium they can."

Rick Parry, the former chief executive of the Premier League and Liverpool, supported Hoddle's view.

"I'm not backing either bid for the Olympic Stadium but football-specific stadia are far more suited to the needs of the football-going public than stadiums with athletic tracks. My experience of stadiums around Europe is that when you have a track you lose atmosphere. The further from the pitch you are the less intimate the experience," he said.

"Having spent many years on the plans for the new Anfield I know how critically important it is to get the sight-lines right and the viewing distances right, in terms of maximising revenue and the supporters getting the best experience.

"I think it does have an effect on attendances – the more you meet the needs of the paying public the more likely they are to come."
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 10:00

1 Million fans, 5000 signitures. I make that 0.005%

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 10:05

NEVER ON THE FIELD OF FOOTBALL HAS SO MUCH BEEN OWED BY SO MANY TO SO FEW!

N17 NOT E15
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jan 15 2011, 10:46

LOL have a Rep Max
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jan 15 2011, 10:52

that signature thing is a joke, if they put it to a vote for or against a move i bet i know who would win,against.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06 2024, 13:56