The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Laurel & Hardy

djfitzo
    International
    International

Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 Empty Re: Laurel & Hardy

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 03 2011, 03:43

LOBO wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:Maybe they did Lobo, maybe clubs dont sell until they know that Citeh arent interested. Pool would not have got Suarez or Carroll unless they sold Torres. It says in the paper today that Torres wanted to go last summer, but it took them until the wire to get the money and get two strikers in.

I hope we dont hit any snags in the next few months cos in effect we only have crouch & defoe, i want to see more Pav because not playing is reducing our chances i believe , arry has got to use him more and not be so reliant on crouch being something different, ive noticed that we are playing more and more 4 5 1 , it just dont work for us , we have always been a 442 team prodominately throughout the years, the sad thing if arry keeps with the 451 we wont see pav at all he will continue to use defoe & crouch, the only thing that can change all this is crouch & defoe , with hudds coming back and modders out maybe arry might drop VDV into a midfield role and play 2 up front, then we would score goals no matter what combo we put out

I said that in an earlier thread Lobo, weve been using Modders as the holding midfielder whilst Palacios/Hudd has been out and lost that bit of creativity. Dont hold your breath, but if Palacios is fit tonight, then play VDV next to him and Pav/Defoe, make sure Pienaar stays on the left (same position his played all the time for the Toffees) and Lennon on the right and not wander aimlessly
    all over the pitch, all though i suspect that was done to what hapened in the first 10 minutes at Fulham, we are missing the shape we had at the begining of the season with Hudd the quarterback, keeping hold of the ball and spraying passes to all areas of the pitch and no matter Bale had tailed off a bit (probably due to his back) he still occupied two players all game which left the space for Modders.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 03:51

lets hope wp is back tonight because he played well aganst man u. Hopefully harry plays krankar or vdv with him and play 2 up front.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 03:53

Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 PanicButton
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 03 2011, 08:18

PMSL!

You complain that 451 doesn't work yet we have lost, what is it, 2 in 18?

In the same breath you moan about Harry using Defoe and Crouch too much. Hasn't Defoe been injured/suspended for most of this season?

And if the two are on together doesn't that mean we're playing 442?

You couldn't make this up.

lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 08:57

ionman34 wrote:
    PMSL!

In the same breath you moan about Harry using Defoe and Crouch too much. Hasn't Defoe been injured/suspended for most of this season?

Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204 Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204 Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204 Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204 Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204 Laurel & Hardy - Page 2 348204

arry is playing 442 OMG and we win

justification is bliss

i rest my case me lord

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:00

Ion you can make this up lol. Everyday it's made up by the people who understand the football market and whose opinions change more often than a high class whores drawers . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:02

lmao
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:20

[quote="LOBO"]
    ionman34 wrote:
    Would that be the same Laurel and Hardy that secured the services of ............. Brace yourselves;

Heurelho Gomez, Michael Dawson, William Gallas, Luca Modric, Rafael Van Der Vaart, Gareth Bale, Steven Pienaar, Wilson Palacios ..........

Yeah, they haven't a clue hey?

I think you'll find old son that commolli
    was behind most of those signings
    except peinaar and Gallas

And you base this on what? Paper talk and supposition?

Levy has to green light EVERY transfer. NO ONE can spend club money without first running it by him and I can guarantee you that they have to lay out the reasons for buying clearly and concisely. Levy is a successful businessman, you've said it yourself on countless occasions, he's not going to go out and spend millions without fully understanding EXACTLY what he is getting for his money.

He has a part in every transfer so you don't get to call him a clown when things go wrong then take away the kudos when things go right. That's nothing more than a petty wrangling to try and aid your argument.

not arry , and levy has only taken charge of recruiting
    sinse commoli left, hense the circus

See above. Levy has been in charge of EVERYTHING from day one.

arry & levy bought in

Defoe = cant score

With a goal per game ratio of better than 1 in 2. Based on that he was a quality buy.

Crouch = cant score

Buying Crouch wasn't the issue, even Lought agrees that he is a great option off the bench and his European goal ratio is superb.
    The problem is that he's played to lead the line too often.

kranky = don't play him

Because we have better. I agree he should get more game time but how does this make buying him a 'Laurel and Hardy' venture in the market?
    He cost us 2 mill.

Pav = don't play him

Again, I agree here. Of the 2, he should start ahead of Crouch virtually every time. I haven't a clue what is happening behind the scenes but it seems that some are far too eager to believe that he can do no wrong and the manager is 100% at fault here.
    Until you know what is happening behind the scenes you really shouldn't be so quick to make snap judgements.

Charlie = don't play him
    \
    Again, because we currently have better in Hutton, who we also bought. Good quality fullbacks competing with each other, just what have the management team done wrong here?

Not so long ago you yourself were banging on about having Internationals as back up for all positions, now we have them you want to complain about it?

Talk about have your cake and eat it!

Gallaz = 1 year contract cos he knows we wont quilify for CL

Don't talk wet. SPURS stipulated the contract term, not Gallas. If CL was his priority then he'd have stayed at the goons for the 2 season term they offered.

VdV = levy signed him redknapp didnt even know we had so not a arry target

So now Levy is no longer part of the Laurel and Hardy team?

Jesus Lobo, that's like saying that the Modric Huddlestone pairing only works because Modric is there!

Mate, I understand and share your frustrations over this window. We've both been championing the signing of Suarez and I REALLY wanted Torres. But I'd have some serious reservations about our management if we went out and spent over 80 million on them.
    They have identified a number of targets and pursued them based on priority. As we were knocked back on each we then pursued the next. At each and every one we were knocked back, either by unrealistic prices or flat out no's.

Liverpool have made a massive gamble. Regardless of whether they have realistically only spent 8 million, they now have 2 wage bills instead of 1 for 2 players who are by no means guaranteed to score at the rate they will need. Carroll thrives off wing play, who have 'Pool got on the wings? Johnson? Please.

Suarez may well thrive off Gerrard but that remains to be seen. And what does he do when Gerrard is out?

They don't have a pot to P*ss in and have got themselves further into debt gambling for CL.

Remember Leeds anyone?
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:23

[quote="LOBO"][quote="ionman34"]
    PMSL!

justification is bliss

i rest my case me lord

And your explanation for the 16 unbeaten when we played 4411?

Don't go into Law Lobo, whatever you do. Comedy acts are frowned on at the Bailey.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 09:34

To me the bottom line is we went for players who we just couldn't get. End of. This isn't fantasy football (tho' with games at the San Siro many may disagree) this is 21st Century football. If a player is unavailable, really is not intrested, or his club (the "firm" that pay his wages)just won't let him come then what are the stars of the ole black & white screen meant to do ? Please don't say they had all of January to do it in because as professional football people Levy & 'arry will have been discussing players since last August. If the relationship between the board & manager is goood (which I think most of us accept it is at Spurs) these discussions will be regular and in-depth ! If the transfer fees & wage demands are ridiculous then Spurs are, IMO, correct not to have looked at the "Marquee" signing demanded by some . . . . . .
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Feb 03 2011, 12:28

justification is bliss

i rest my case me lord

Well, I give you that. The decition to play Crouch was a good one. lol

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 12:40

ion i have to say that 451 dont work for our strikers. yea we havent lost many but we havent played well in most of them and most have been draws.

i have to dissagree with you on defoe.

Pav - 9 starts - 5 goals

Defoe - 7 starts - 0 goals

Defoe hasnt scored in 14 premier league games,

keane scored today. suaarz for liverpool came off the bench and scored today.

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Feb 03 2011, 19:19

Loughtonlegend wrote:ion i have to say that 451 dont work for our strikers. yea we havent lost many but we havent played well in most of them and most have been draws.

Pav - 9 starts - 5 goals

Not the suarez from holland who statistically wouldnt travel well on paper surely not cheers
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 03 2011, 20:33

LOBO wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:ion i have to say that 451 dont work for our strikers. yea we havent lost many but we havent played well in most of them and most have been draws.

Pav - 9 starts - 5 goals

Not the suarez from holland who statistically wouldnt travel well on paper surely not cheers

Unfortunately Lobo he underhit his shot and the dubious goals panel will award it to Wilkinson OG, no matter

it was 4-4-2 on paper, but having watched football first, VDV didnt stay in one position, so in effect it was
    4-3-1-2, which left us exposed at times. we are only a rigid 4-4-2 when Bale plays left wing,Lennon plays right wing
    and we have Modders and Hudd in the centre, how Harry fits VDV in when all are fit will be interesting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content