The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
The berbatov situation. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
The berbatov situation. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
The berbatov situation. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
The berbatov situation. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
The berbatov situation. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
The berbatov situation. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
The berbatov situation. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
The berbatov situation. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
The berbatov situation. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

The berbatov situation. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

The berbatov situation.

The berbatov situation. Empty The berbatov situation.

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12 2011, 22:20

A report in the sunday mail states that man united,s bid for the blackburn defender jones is in tatters, with the owners saying they arent going to be bullied into selling to united, and if the player is to go then its to be to the highest bidder, with liverpool, the goons, man city and us mentioned as potential bidders.

Whether or not this report is true and i only say that because we know the rubbish written by the papers ! but it took me back to the berbatov situation where i would say we were bullied by both man utd and berbatov into allowing him to go there.
    At the time it was reported that a bid from man city of £40 mill came in for berbatov, then later berbatov said he didnt want to go to man city.

Now its all old hat i know but should levy had put his foot down and told berbatov that he was under contract,? and that he could go to the club that bidded the highest for him if he was to be released.

Is the jones situation any different from berbatovs ? apart from the fact that berbatov forced and orchestrated the move and point blank refused to go to city, would we then have had a player refusing to be sold to anyone but united and then would effectively go on strike if he didnt get his own way ?

I thought this was an interesting , if bit well discussed story that has been chewed over on here many times before.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

The berbatov situation. Empty Re: The berbatov situation.

Post by BazSpur Sun Jun 12 2011, 22:45

The Berbatoss situation was a tricky one Lew. I said at the time stick him on the bench and let him rot. Others on here said no as that would serve no real purpose. There were many on here who said sell him and try and get the highest price for him. in the end they were right. Yes we suffered at first especially with Robbie doing one to Liverpool as well. However, Berbatoss took a couple of years to settle at United and only had his best season there last season. We got 30 mill and under Arry got top 4 and top 5 this year so we didn't do bad did we. NO player is bigger than the club including Modders IF he goes. We will survive. We always have and we always will. Through the years we have seen many Star players leave the Lane. Hoddle, Greaves, Gazza, and we're still here Lew. As for Robbie? He's never been the same since he left.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jun 12 2011, 23:21

But I think this is a new situation for us Baz. I can't remember a time at Spurs when we've had so much World Class or potential World Class as we have now. I think it is imperative that we hold firm and tell allcomers to do one when they come sniffing around. If we let one go, it signals our willingness to let them all go and that would be disastrous for us.

This isn't about our survival, we're too big a club to be thinking only in terms of survival, this is about our aspirations and our title challenge.

You are right, no player is bigger than the club, which is why we must hold onto the best of them and let them know that they leave at a time of our choosing and no sooner. Modric, for one, I believe will accept this without complaint and this will send the message to, and settle, the rest of the players.

If our biggest player is content to stay then, all of a sudden, their feet don't itch so much.

Being here is not enough, being on top of the pile is where we are meant to be.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun Jun 12 2011, 23:32

ionman34 wrote:
    But I think this is a new situation for us Baz. I can't remember a time at Spurs when we've had so much World Class or potential World Class as we have now. I think it is imperative that we hold firm and tell allcomers to do one when they come sniffing around. If we let one go, it signals our willingness to let them all go and that would be disastrous for us.

This isn't about our survival, we're too big a club to be thinking only in terms of survival, this is about our aspirations and our title challenge.

You are right, no player is bigger than the club, which is why we must hold onto the best of them and let them know that they leave at a time of our choosing and no sooner. Modric, for one, I believe will accept this without complaint and this will send the message to, and settle, the rest of the players.

If our biggest player is content to stay then, all of a sudden, their feet don't itch so much.

Well said Ion ......

This squad is the best we've had in 25 years and it would be madness to sell off its prized assets ....
    Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy need to understand what they have here and look beyond the £-$-€ signs ....

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jun 12 2011, 23:55

I agree 100% ion. Actuall I don't think Modders will leave this year as I think that would have happened by now. I think he'll give it one more season to see how it goes. We really do need a top stiker though.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Jun 13 2011, 00:03

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Well said Ion ......

This squad is the best we've had in 25 years and it would be madness to sell off its prized assets ....
    Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy need to understand what they have here and look beyond the £-$-€ signs ....

And that is what I'm trying to get across here Arnie, I think they do. I spend time on Spurs Community and one guy on there posted a fairly simple sum.

Value of CL qualification = 50 million

Modric contract = 5+ years

5+ years x 50 million = 250 million+

OK this may be slightly over simplified but the theory is sound, keep Modric and the potential earnings dwarf his current value.

If he can see that, I can see that, and the general layman can see that, don't you think that a Billionaire businessman, the Chairman of our club (who Lobo is constantly telling us is degree qualified in finance), and all of the clubs money men can see that too?

Don't you think that is the reason why Levy has publicly stated that none of our stars are going?

There is no logic to selling him, THAT is the reason why I believe Levy's word, logic dictates that he is telling the truth.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Jun 13 2011, 00:59

Well lets hope they see it as we do Ion but Im not holding my breath ..

It says it all for me when , Joe Lewis' total appearances at WHL in the 10 years owning the club is just the once and that was way back when Glenda was in charge..
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Jun 13 2011, 01:18

ArnieArdiles wrote:Well lets hope they see it as we do Ion but Im not holding my breath ..

It says it all for me when , Joe Lewis' total appearances at WHL in the 10 years owning the club is just the once and that was way back when Glenda was in charge..

In all honesty mate, his appearances at the club don't bother me. He owns Spurs to make money and that's it. He's owned us for over 10 years now and, in that time, has either sanctioned, or had no part in, bankrolling our progression from mid table no hopers & relegation battlers to CL and potential title challengers. All the while making money in the process.

Let's face it, we've only sold when the player was surplus or we had no choice. Only twice, to my knowledge, has the latter happened and we got well over the players book value.

We have a choice with Modric and the sums underline the decision in bold, as well as highlighting it, placing asterisks to the sides of it and enlarging it in Times New Roman, we'll make more money with him than without him!

The general feeling I'm getting too, from other sites, is that others are beginning to get this gist as well. I seriously do think that the goons will be taking all of the headlines soon as it becomes apparent that their players are far more vulnerable (Nasri 1 yr remaining, Clichy 1 yr remaining, Flabbyass off to Barca, Bendtner wanting a move, Diaby wearing Lillywhite)

You might not have to hold your breath for too long matey.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jun 13 2011, 02:38

The general feeling I'm getting too, from
    other sites, is that others are beginning to get this gist as well. I
    seriously do think that the goons will be taking all of the headlines
    soon as it becomes apparent that their players are far more vulnerable
    (Nasri 1 yr remaining, Clichy 1 yr remaining, Flabbyass off to Barca,
    Bendtner wanting a move, Diaby wearing Lillywhite)

You might not have to hold your breath for too long matey.

Good job too. I hope they crash and burn.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 12 2024, 19:09