The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
I wonder if this is a record EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
I wonder if this is a record EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
I wonder if this is a record EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
I wonder if this is a record EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
I wonder if this is a record EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
I wonder if this is a record EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
I wonder if this is a record EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
I wonder if this is a record EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
I wonder if this is a record EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

I wonder if this is a record Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

I wonder if this is a record

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

I wonder if this is a record Empty I wonder if this is a record

Post by Boltjean Fri Jul 01 2011, 05:17

I like reading about the history of our club, and was amazed when I read this chapter. As many of you know, Bill Nicholson became our manager on the 11th of October during the 1958-59 season, on that Saturday we beat Everton 10-4. By the end of that season we had finished 5th from the bottom of the table. The following season 59-60, we finished third, just two point's behind the champion's Burnley, had we won just one more game we would have won the league due to having a better goal average than Burnley. We had dropped points away to the bottom club Luton 0-1, drawing at home 1-1, and also loosing at home to the second from bottom club Leeds 1-4, typical Spurs, both these clubs were relegated. Anyway, the season finished on the 30th of April, and at the end of May the club went on tour to Russia where they played three games. Now this is where I wonder if this is a record, our first game was against Torpedo Moscow, we won 1-0 in front of a crowd of 50,000 our second game was against Dynamo Kiev, we won 2-1 in front of a crowd of 60,000 our last game was against a CCCP Select 11 in Leningrad, we lost 1-3 but I find this amazing, it was watched by a crowd of 100,000, it was a sell out day's before the game was due to take place. Surely that must be a record for what was just a friendly. In total, 210,000 people watched our three games. Well it amazed me anyway.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

I wonder if this is a record Empty Re: I wonder if this is a record

Post by HotspurRoper Fri Jul 01 2011, 17:05

Nothing changes Len, Tottenham Hotspur, ever the entertainers!!!

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 00:43