The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
HotspurRoper
DJSR
ionman34
BazSpur
ArnieArdiles
9 posters

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Empty OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 01:49

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Tottenham-hotspur

versus

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Athletic-bilbao1

Bilbao is situated in the Basque region of Spain, and was founded in 1898, given the English spelling "Athletic" and not "Athletico" probably because the better connected local citizens sent their children to the UK for their education in some skills. Partly as a result of their travels these people formed a football club, which has played in the top division of "La Liga" since its inception in 1928. The only other teams to have played at the top level from the start are the famous Barcelona and Real Madrid. The use of the non-Spanish club name (Athletic) was banned in the days of General Franco, but re-instated after Franco's death.

Bilbao have won their league title 8 times. The last win was in 1983-4. In the same season, they won the Copa Del Rey, for the 23rd and last time. They have competed 4 times in the Champions League and 13 times in the UEFA Cup/Europa League. The club's best result in Europe was to be runners-up in the UEFA Cup in 1977, when they were beaten over two legs on away goals by Juventus.

Bilbao are known as "The Lions", because their stadium was built near a church called Saint Mammes, who was an early Christian thrown to the lions by the Romans. The lions refused to eat Mammes, who was made a Saint. Atheltic's San Mames Stadium holds 39,750, but like spurs they have plans to have a new stadium. In the case of Bilbao, their plans are definite and they will be playing in the "San Mames Barria" stadium from the 2014-15 season. It will be a five-star venue, holding 55,000.

Bilbao have a firm policy of only using Basque-born players, but this was stretched a few years ago to allow those with Basque-born grandparents to play for the club. Hence the entire Bilbao squad is of Spanish origin, and by far the majority of their managers have been Spanish. The current manager though is Argentinean - Marcelo Biesla.
    ( spurs odyssey )

Kick - off is at 5.15pm Saturday 6th August

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Empty Re: OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 01:58

Supporters are advised that our pre-season friendly against Athletic Club Bilbao at White Hart Lane on Saturday, August 6 will now kick-off at 5.15pm.

This match will now be televised live on [b]ITV4.[/
    b]

Athletic Club Bilbao finished sixth in Spain's La Liga last season and will compete in the Europa League in 2011-12. Their squad includes Spanish World Cup winners Fernando Llorente and Javi Martinez, as well as rising stars Iker Munian and Markel Susaeta.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly Empty Re: OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ATHLETIC BILBAO pre season friendly

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:08

To the best of my knowledge, Spurs have never met Bilbao in either competition, or a friendly game. There is however, a Basque Country national football team, which has carried various names, one of which was "Euskadi". Thus players from the Basque area of Northern Spain and Southern France qualify to play for this team, which is not affiliated to FIFA, or UEFA. Bilbao had 10 of their players in the Basque Country squad for a recent game against Venezuela. That squad incidentally included Real Madrid's Xabi Alonso.

Spurs did meet Euskadi in a friendly on 10th May 1988, and lost 4-0. The game was played in Bilbao, who no doubt dominated the Euskadi team. Spurs had finished 13th that season, and had only managed one win in their last 8 league games. Bilbao finished fourth in La Liga, and bearing in mind that another Basque team (Real Sociedad) were runners-up in La Liga, there was a clear gap in form, and probably desire on the day in question. The Spurs team was:- Mimms (sub Parks); Statham, Thomas (sub Stimson), Fenwick, Metgod (sub Ruddock), Mabbutt, walsh, P. Allen (sub Claesen), Waddle, Samways, and Hodge (sub Howells, sub Moran)

(Spurs odyssey)
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:11

Three of Bilbao's current squad have playedd for the full Spanish International team. Striker Fernando Llorente (full name Fernando Llorente Torres) is 26 and scored 18 goals in 37 league games last season, having a total of 64 league goals in 204 such appearances. Clearly he will be one to watch on Saturday. Midfielders Andoni Iraola and Javi Martinez also played a full part in Bilbao's league campaign, each scoring 4 goals. Other significant goal-scoring contributions came from midfielders David Lopez (6), Igor Gabilondo (5), Kaizka Toquero (7), and striker Iker Muniain (5).

Bilbao's league programme starts a week later than Spurs (with an away game to Real Madrid!), and therefore they will be at a later stage in their pre-season preparations to Spurs. Across the Internet there has been a lot of frustration and angst at the perceived lack of incoming transfer activity by Spurs, and the failure to get rid of perceived deadwood such as David Bentley and Robbie Keane. The Luka Modric saga has dominated the foobtall headlines during virtually the whole summer, and it will be good to see him on parade on Saturday, hopefully to a decent reception. After all, he has not submitted any transfer request. Hopefully, we will see something resembling a Spurs first team squad for this game, which is being televised by ITV 4, but we all know, the real action begins on Saturday 13th August, when we host Everton!

(spurs odyssey)
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:20

Nice one Arme cheers.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:32

Thought I'd give Vis a helping hand, Baz as he seems to have his hands full of late lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:50

lol!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 10:05

bobby mimms the 80s robo lol
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 12:36

Well Ive just been looking around on other forums and their Bilbao match threads, and it seems to be all about whether this game should be called , the Boo or not to Boo Luka Modric game ....

The game is televised live on ITV4 too and perhaps the reaction of the home support will help Levy decide what to do ?

I can see a Harry rant after the game pale
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Aug 04 2011, 15:16

ArnieArdiles wrote:Well Ive just been looking around on other forums and their Bilbao match threads, and it seems to be all about whether this game should be called , the Boo or not to Boo Luka Modric game ....

The game is televised live on ITV4 too and perhaps the reaction of the home support will help Levy decide what to do ?

You know what mate, I can see the opposite TBH.

I think the problem is that most of the noise, away from the ground, is made by the 'miserable minority' who really aren't happy UNLESS they have a Spurs player to boo. During my time as an ST holder, I found most of these to be in the East stand, many on the Shelf.

To my pleasure, when these clowns kicked off, they were swiftly drowned out by the Park Lane support, followed closely by the rest of the ground.

The majority may not be in Love with Luka in the way they previously were, but I think he'll get a good reception if I'm honest. There's one thing the majority of Spurs fans are not, and that is stupid.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 20:30

ionman34 wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:Well Ive just been looking around on other forums and their Bilbao match threads, and it seems to be all about whether this game should be called , the Boo or not to Boo Luka Modric game ....

You know what mate, I can see the opposite TBH.

I think the problem is that most of the noise, away from the ground, is made by the 'miserable minority' who really aren't happy UNLESS they have a Spurs player to boo. During my time as an ST holder, I found most of these to be in the East stand, many on the Shelf.

To my pleasure, when these clowns kicked off, they were swiftly drowned out by the Park Lane support, followed closely by the rest of the ground.

The majority may not be in Love with Luka in the way they previously were, but I think he'll get a good reception if I'm honest. There's one thing the majority of Spurs fans are not, and that is stupid.

Well I hope you're right but Im not so sure .. We will see come Saturday and if Levy/Harry hav'nt made a center forward buy by then, I can see a few moan and groans directed their way too ...

Plenty of the match tickets have gone on sale to the general public for this game and it wont be the Spurs crowd for a league game ...It could well be the case that a few of those you call the 'miserable minority' will be in attendance and see this game as window of opportunity to vent their spleen ....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 04 2011, 21:43

I hope he don't get booed either. What's the point of that? We should be giving him encouragement to stay not help making his mind up to leave. A rousing reception may help him realise he is really wanted by the WHL faithful.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 22:40

I don't want to hear booing of Modric. I would prefer a good reception to let him know he has had the correct decision made for him to stay at WHL (also I don't want to give my Chelski mate a tenner of my hard earned lol). Just as intersting will be which striker/s 'arry picks. How he plays them & how the perform. This is the area that needs to get up & running ASAP as goals, my friends, win games & we can't depend on the midfield to keep getting them as we had to last season . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 00:38

It's going mental on SC at the moment chaps. I'm staying away at the moment because the emotional rollercoaster over there is really making me nauseous.

Gonna have a drink, watch a film and relax for a bit before sneaking back.

Oh, BTW, had my op yesterday. It went really well and I only had to stay overnight. I'm a bit sore and have 4 holes in my guts.

I've convinced my son that if I drink a cuppa tea it'll spray out the holes like the Looney Toons he watches. Bloody hilarious watching his expression when I told him, the Wife was in fits!

God Bless him, he's only 9 and, despite being a total cynic, doesn't know whether to believe me or not.

Priceless entertainment.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 00:43

Glad to hear the op went well Ion my man. Here's hoping recovery follows suit. You should be reasonablly fit & ok for Saturdays game then I hope . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 00:49

VisionarySound wrote:Glad to hear the op went well Ion my man. Here's hoping recovery follows suit. You should be reasonablly fit & ok for Saturdays game then I hope . . . . .

It's all very hush, hush mate.

If I'm too fit I lose all my 'Oooohhh it hurts Babe, can you just fetch me that cold one from the fridge' priveleges.

So, sadly, I think I'll be warming the bench on Saturday, followed by the Couch, then the Sun chair, then the couch again ........................
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 05 2011, 00:50

Glad all went OK ion. Get well soon mate.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 01:04

Thank you gents

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:03

glad it went ok ion

does it hurt when you laugh lol
    when i had my op i had stitches and was in my own room in the hostiptal and was watchin ferries buller day off. i couldn help but laugh during that film lol
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:26

Loughtonlegend wrote:glad it went ok ion

does it hurt when you laugh lol
    when i had my op i had stitches and was in my own room in the hostiptal and was watchin ferries buller day off. i couldn help but laugh during that film lol

Cracking film that, always loved the Dankerschein song on the float. Doesn't hurt when I laugh, just when I cough. They stuck Oxygen tubes down into my lungs, because apparently they had to paralyse my diaphragm to pump me up with CO2, so my throat is a bit sore and phlegmy, so I cough a lot.

One must soldier on though wot?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:30

King and Counntry and stiff upper lip old boy.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sat Aug 06 2011, 04:25

Gallas & VDV out injured

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 05:43

Injured already ? WTF is that all about . .. . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Aug 06 2011, 05:55

What a f*cking surprise. Here we go again.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sat Aug 06 2011, 08:27

VDV SITTING OUT AS A PRECAUTION, BEEN TRAING ALL WEEK THO, ALLS WELL BOYS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 00:42