The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Post here for your views on the riots.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 Empty Re: Post here for your views on the riots.

Post by ionman34 Wed Aug 17 2011, 18:07

BazSpur wrote:As for Australia, when did Oz become the
    debating point? The discussion is about England because you started a
    thread to discuss the riots that happened there. f*ck all to do with
    Australia.

Look at the title of the thread ion It says Post your views on the RIOTS. You brought The Romans and Greeks into it. Not me. Yet you have a go at me for bringing Australia into it. Those in glass houses fella. When did the Greeks become the debating point? We were debating the riots and what effect they had over the 4 nights. Well, me and Vis were anyway.

The Romans were used as a comparison because MY VIEW ON THE RIOTS was that it was the precursor to the death of Democracy in the UK. The Romans are a classic example because the same happened to their culture. Therefore, their inclusion IN MY VIEWS OF THE RIOTS, is totally valid.

Australia has no place in this discussion because they have a young, strong, thriving democracy because their compulsory voting laws ensure it. No apathy, no decadence, completely different.

I really have no interest in going back over old ground here. All of my answers and views have been posted previously. I used other historical cultures as examples of where the same has happened before. If you choose to ignore or deny them that is your perogative.

I'm not here to win an argument, I posted my views. I have no wish to fall out with anyone and, if that is where this will lead then I'll not post another word on the subject. Like I said mate, I respect your opinion here and pray that you are right. I just don't share it.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post here for your views on the riots. - Page 3 Empty Re: Post here for your views on the riots.

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 17 2011, 21:26

Well, all done and dusted ion. I had no intention of falling out but like you I am passionate about my views and ideas, Anyway it was a good debate with much to-ing and fro-ing both ways.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Aug 17 2011, 22:45

BazSpur wrote:Well, all done and dusted ion. I had no intention of falling out but like you I am passionate about my views and ideas, Anyway it was a good debate with much to-ing and fro-ing both ways.

Indeed my friend As ever politics always seems to bring out passion in those who actually care.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 17 2011, 23:08

politics always seems to bring out passion in those who actually care.

100% with you on that one mate. Problem is there are too many apathetic people in this Country who don't care. I used to think it should be law for everyone to vote, like in Australia but I aint so sure now mate. Too many people in this country wouldn't have a clue who to vote for and it could end up being a disaster. All those non voters suddenly having to make a decision Jeeze. Great idea in principle but in practice, not sure. It obviously works well in Aussie not sure what would happen if they refused to vote. What happens there if you refuse to vote? It must have happened.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Aug 18 2011, 00:09

BazSpur wrote:politics always seems to bring out passion in those who actually care.

100% with you on that one mate. Problem is there are too many apathetic people in this Country who don't care. I used to think it should be law for everyone to vote, like in Australia but I aint so sure now mate. Too many people in this country wouldn't have a clue who to vote for and it could end up being a disaster. All those non voters suddenly having to make a decision Jeeze. Great idea in principle but in practice, not sure. It obviously works well in Aussie not sure what would happen if they refused to vote. What happens there if you refuse to vote? It must have happened.

I don't honestly know Baz, never seen anything reported on that.

Difficult one the enforced vote. I often think that the majority would take a more active interest in each of the Parties' policies if they were required to put a cross on the paper, then I remember the 'one is as bad as another' attitude that many have.

Besides, it would never happen there as you'd have too many bleeding hearts bleating about the Gov't infringing the basic Human right to do f*ck all!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 00:53

Besides, it would never happen there as
    you'd have too many bleeding hearts bleating about the Gov't infringing
    the basic Human right to do f*ck all!

Haha That's twice I agree with you. Have to stop that lol.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18 2011, 01:15

I believe if you are 'forced' to vote you have the option to spoil your ballot paper or votr none of the above. I also believe in Oz that the punishment for refusal to cast a ballot paper however you choose is. . . . .
    (from the Austarlian Electrol Commitee website)
    What happens if I do not vote?
    Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 01:58

VisionarySound wrote:I believe if you are 'forced' to vote you have the option to spoil your ballot paper or votr none of the above. I also believe in Oz that the punishment for refusal to cast a ballot paper however you choose is. . . . .
    (from the Austarlian Electrol Commitee website)
    What happens if I do not vote?
    Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.

None of the above would be okay if the voting procedure does not identify the voters choice.... But it doesnt ...

When you visit a voting booth to cast your vote , the administrator of your ballot paper checks your name to the list ...Your name is numbered and your ballot papers carry the same number .. The administrator hands you your numbered ballot paper and keeps a stub with the number and your name so that on the count if need be, verifification can be made ..

A few years back, a list of names of BNP voters was made public...

Its not a secret ballot ...

IMO , compulsory voting is fascist...
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 02:43

Whoops,I feel another debate coming lol.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 02:57

Sorry Baz lol

Its just the assumption by those that do vote,, means you dont care , I find it condescending....

If anything, I blame many of the ills of our society on those that do actualy vote!

Theres a saying ...Dont vote as it only encourages them ...

We have given these thieves and murderers our blessing time and time again .. I refuse to do it ....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:08

Ah, but if you don't vote Arnie as far as I am concerned you have no say. How can you comment on something you haven't taken the trouble to vote for mate?
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:13

the reason a lot of people don't vote is they don't feel it counts. Personally I spoil my paper. When I first started taking notice I decided I didn't like Tory policy and when she who's name I won't mention came to power the dislike turned to hatred. Now I have always lived in very safe Tory constituencies so how will my vote count. That was why I was gutted that the great British public voted against PR in the recent referendum.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:25

BazSpur wrote:Ah, but if you don't vote Arnie as far as I am concerned you have no say. How can you comment on something you haven't taken the trouble to vote for mate?

So as far as you're concerned , Baz I shouldn't voice an opinion on anything that is going on regarding what I consider the well being of my country and if I do have an opinion, it should be kept to myself ?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:33

It wouldn't make any difference to me Seebee. I would still drag myself to the Polling Station because I would want to register my vote for the party I support. End of the day mate that's one more vote the others won't get and one more vote going to my party of choice. When all the votes are totted up at the end mine will be counted for the party I support. I'm a dogged bugger like that. I would vote no matter what. I wouldn't care if I was the only one voting for my party in my area if that's me then I would be there just to P*ss them off lol.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:34

seebee1944 wrote:

the reason a lot of people don't vote is they don't feel it counts. Personally I spoil my paper. When I first started taking notice I decided I didn't like Tory policy and when she who's name I won't mention came to power the dislike turned to hatred. Now I have always lived in very safe Tory constituencies so how will my vote count. That was why I was gutted that the great British public voted against PR in the recent referendum.

I agree with you Seebee,,,,, I think above all this is most likely reason why people dont vote ..........If you're Tory in a Labour stronghold and vice versa ....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 05:45

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:Ah, but if you don't vote Arnie as far as I am concerned you have no say. How can you comment on something you haven't taken the trouble to vote for mate?

So as far as you're concerned , Baz I shouldn't voice an opinion on anything that is going on regarding what I consider the well being of my country and if I do have an opinion, it should be kept to myself ?

Well you can Arnie. It's just that personally I don't think your views carry any credence. You have opted out of the system mate. At least I can say I didn't vote for that because I don't believe in what their doing and further to that I registered a vote against their policies (Whatever they may be) by voting for a different party. Now when someone says to me did you vote for that I can say yes and I can stand my ground. I just think if you don't vote at all.....you have no voice. How can you have? You haven't bothered to vote. You can comment of course you can but isn't having a vote and using it better than just commenting. If you agree with what a party stands for then vote for it.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18 2011, 06:42

Arnie as I used to use as my signature on AOHell. (to quote the Cockney Rejects) "Freedom, there ain't no f*cking Freedom" . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 06:43

BazSpur wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:

Well you can Arnie. It's just that personally I don't think your views carry any credence. You have opted out of the system mate. At least I can say I didn't vote for that because I don't believe in what their doing and further to that I registered a vote against their policies (Whatever they may be) by voting for a different party. Now when someone says to me did you vote for that I can say yes and I can stand my ground. I just think if you don't vote at all.....you have no voice. How can you have? You haven't bothered to vote. You can comment of course you can but isn't having a vote and using it better than just commenting. If you agree with what a party stands for then vote for it.

I have not opted out of the system Baz that's just your opinion. I have merely abstained from voting for any of the political partys that are on offer in my constituancy.

We have 650 members of Parliament and many of these politicians abstain in voting for their own reasons, on many of the voting issues and yet you dont afford me that same right and my voice does not carry credence?...

People vote for a variety of reasons but in general, I believe their motivations are out of self intrest , be it welfare benefits or tax issues , personal monetary issues are generally what people vote for and what's best for me financially rather than the overall good of the nation .

All this nonsense doing the rounds if you don't vote means you don't care and have no right to complain is just another self policing control mechanism ...

Ive had this debate with her indoors who works in social services for the elderly ... She is an ardent supporter of the NHS and sees the Labour party as the best political set-up for it ....The Tories she says would prefer to privatise so for this reason alone she votes Labour. She gets annoyed with me because I dont vote ....She also gets upset when she sees on TV, another young soldier has been killed in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever, then she offers me her opinion ... Can I say to her, 'well you voted for the political party that put our soldiers out there so your partly culpable?

There are many people like her who cast their vote on a stand-out issue and I abstain with a similarly stance in the fact that all our main parties are embroiled in the military industrial complex and a global resource grab on behalf of corprotism, something Im very much opposed to...Do we really believe that if Labour had won the last election, the policy we see towards Libya today would not be the same?

To put it into context and whilst I'm not condoning the actions of the rioters... The financial cost to the tax payer of the riots are in the region of £200 million whilst our 'humanitarian' military involvement in Libya is costing us all, one billion pounds per week.... Do we hear any dissenting voices in the hihest chamber to this fact?.. This is a policy agreed by all the main political parties , you know, the same political parties who oversaw and were complicit in the reckless non regulation of the City of London these past 30 years, which has resulted in our debt slavery to the bankers for us and future generations to come and I'm to vote for them?

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 07:12

VisionarySound wrote:Arnie as I used to use as my signature on AOHell. (to quote the Cockney Rejects) "Freedom, there ain't no f*cking Freedom" . . . . .

I cant say I recall tha one Vis . Smile I posted on another AOL forum under another name to Arnie and my siggy was

It's got nothing to do with right or left - it has all to do with right and wrong.

Its just sometimes I get annoyed when I see left and right polarised views such as on this thread, doing what they do best , pushing the blame on to the opposite side ..They then throw in for good measure, voting apathy and are united in their failure to acknowledge that there are some people out there that dont vote because of what they believe they've cottoned on to...

Why is it that in a so called free society , a free market economy, where people are told they have the right to choose on a wide range of issues , the act of voting has to be compulsory?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 18 2011, 07:33

So we all decide not to vote for anyone, then what? That's not a flippant question Arnie. I am deadly serious. Then what? Then we have the more than possible scenario of letting in a dictator of some form that ion was putting forward earlier in this thread. Is that the way you want this country to go? Without a "democratic" political system we will get an undemocratic political system. It's only because people vote for Labour, Tory and Lib Dem that we keep the likes of the BNP out and all the other rag tag sh*t both left and right wing that exist out there. I will be the first to admit our system isn't the best and yes by voting for either Labour or Conservative means you will probably be sending our boys to war. That is something I don't agree with but all parties have other policies. All I do is pick the the party I think will best serve me apart from the policies I don't like. Sometimes in life harsh decisions have to be taken. I take mine by voting at the ballot box to get the party I support into power. Otherwise Anarchy will be staring us in the face. Nope, I and others will fly the flag of democratic freedom such as it is by voting for the less extreme option thanks.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18 2011, 07:38

So Arnie what are the answers my friend ? Left or right we all have our views. Mine are old school socialism. Some would consider that far left, I don't. In the modern age some of my beliefs are considered right of centre, now that is scary eh ! Apathy is not the answer. The answer is for the so-called 'man in the street' to make their beliefs known & registered. The mainstream parties won't recognise that but parties such as the Greens will. If you don't shout you won't be heard and if you ain't heard no one will bother listening to you . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 18 2011, 09:16

Vis & Baz ....It's not that I have all the answers far from it, but it's not me that has the viewpoint that if you dont vote for one of the political parties then your voice is irrelevant .... You ask me for the answers yet in previous posts you describe those who dont vote as apathetic so how would I have the answers ?

I asked a simple question about the main political parties being complicit in the reckless non regulation of the City of London these past 30 years which has resulted in our debt slavery to the bankers for us, and future generations to come and I asked , I'm to vote for them?

This was ignored, now I'm asked, what are the answers for everything?

Perhaps that question should be asked of someone who spend hours upon hours watching tv programmes such as Big Brother , Britain's Got Talent , Eastenders, Jeremy Kyle etc etc ..Well, that's if they also manage to get to a polling booth once every five years that is ...

I dont have the answers but my conscience dictates I cannot vote for any of them for what they represent..You can do what I did a few years back if you wish but you becareful out there ....

If you wish, go join a minority movement of like minded people as yourselves ... They're not all lunatics Baz just because they dont walk the mainstream path ....Thats just a perception propagated by those with the power...

When was the last public demonstration you were involved in , if for that matter, you've ever been on one ?

Go to your local MP's surgery and voice an opinion ... Theres to be a public enquiry about the riots , ask him/her to also push for a public enquiry into the Banking Scam see what response you get..

There was a time my MP Ian Duncan Smith was sick at the sight of me but it all fell on deaf ears and on one or two occasions, his pretorian guard were ready for me ....

Go on, make some noise beyond the safety of the three party political box and see where that gets you.. If you do so, just make sure your phonecalls are not to lengthy and dont include certain words.. Also make sure you have a decent firewall on your computors Cool lol... I could tell you a few things but I'm not going to say online , besides you will only think I'm bullshitting . Suspect ...

Anyways I must dash as I have an early pick-up at the airport in the morning ...

Will catch up tomorrow ......

"The best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves."
    -Lenin

"The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened." - Stalin

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Aug 18 2011, 12:11

ArnieArdiles wrote:Vis & Baz ....It's not that I have all the answers far from it, but it's not me that has the viewpoint that if you dont vote for one of the political parties then your voice is irrelevant .... You ask me for the answers yet in previous posts you describe those who dont vote as apathetic so how would I have the answers ?

I asked a simple question about the main political parties being complicit in the reckless non regulation of the City of London these past 30 years which has resulted in our debt slavery to the bankers for us, and future generations to come and I asked , I'm to vote for them?

This was ignored, now I'm asked, what are the answers for everything?

Perhaps that question should be asked of someone who spend hours upon hours watching tv programmes such as Big Brother , Britain's Got Talent , Eastenders, Jeremy Kyle etc etc ..Well, that's if they also manage to get to a polling booth once every five years that is ...

I dont have the answers but my conscience dictates I cannot vote for any of them for what they represent..You can do what I did a few years back if you wish but you becareful out there ....

If you wish, go join a minority movement of like minded people as yourselves ... They're not all lunatics Baz just because they dont walk the mainstream path ....Thats just a perception propagated by those with the power...

When was the last public demonstration you were involved in , if for that matter, you've ever been on one ?

Go to your local MP's surgery and voice an opinion ... Theres to be a public enquiry about the riots , ask him/her to also push for a public enquiry into the Banking Scam see what response you get..

There was a time my MP Ian Duncan Smith was sick at the sight of me but it all fell on deaf ears and on one or two occasions, his pretorian guard were ready for me ....

Go on, make some noise beyond the safety of the three party political box and see where that gets you.. If you do so, just make sure your phonecalls are not to lengthy and dont include certain words.. Also make sure you have a decent firewall on your computors Cool lol... I could tell you a few things but I'm not going to say online , besides you will only think I'm bullshitting . Suspect ...

Anyways I must dash as I have an early pick-up at the airport in the morning ...

Will catch up tomorrow ......

"The best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves."
    -Lenin

"The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened." - Stalin

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

And I'm told that Democracy isn't dying in the UK.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18 2011, 18:26

Arnie I believe you. A friend of mine was arrested at a railway station for handing out union flyers a few years ago . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 16:37