The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
ade - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
ade - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
ade - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
ade - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
ade - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
ade - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
ade - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
ade - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
ade - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

ade - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
anicoll5
MarkA249
BazSpur
LOBO
8 posters

ade

djfitzo
    International
    International

ade - Page 3 Empty Re: ade

Post by djfitzo Fri Nov 11 2011, 01:23

djfitzo wrote:Greaves, goal hanger, check the turn and beating of 3 players to slot home

Embedded it for you dj.

TA!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Nov 11 2011, 01:29

Quality goal from a quality player and is it any co-incidence that Defoe was given a DVD of Jimmy Greaves and told to watch how he passed the ball into the net instead of blasting it? Greaves had everything a forward needed and he made the most of his attributes.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Nov 11 2011, 02:12

BazSpur wrote:Quality goal from a quality player and is it any co-incidence that Defoe was given a DVD of Jimmy Greaves and told to watch how he passed the ball into the net instead of blasting it? Greaves had everything a forward needed and he made the most of his attributes.

Funny in the build up to that goal, Nobby Stiles goes in on our no 8 who flicks a foot out at him!!

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11 2011, 02:21

BazSpur wrote:He would have coped Lew. Did you see him play mate? Even in those days he got plenty of close attention. Whatever they tried he found a way around it.

Saw him play when i was just a lad baz, to tell the honest truth i suppose its open for debate how he would cope with todays markers, its just a different game now.
    Do you know where jimmy lives ? as many years ago a mate of mine was doing building work somewhere and jimmy used to walk past to get his morning paper, cant ask my mate as he,s kicked the bucket now, mind you i am talking 1990s here and greavsie might have moved since.

Just out of curiosity really as dave (my mate) said you could have a laugh and joke with him, i think they used to taunt jimmy as he walked by ! shouting out "its a funny old game "
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Nov 11 2011, 03:05

djfitzo wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:Quality goal from a quality player and is it any co-incidence that Defoe was given a DVD of Jimmy Greaves and told to watch how he passed the ball into the net instead of blasting it? Greaves had everything a forward needed and he made the most of his attributes.

Funny in the build up to that goal, Nobby Stiles goes in on our no 8 who flicks a foot out at him!!

I think that was Eddie Clayton according to my research. I am sure Len, Seebee or Mikey will verify it.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Nov 11 2011, 03:28

Mr Plums. wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:He would have coped Lew. Did you see him play mate? Even in those days he got plenty of close attention. Whatever they tried he found a way around it.

Saw him play when i was just a lad baz, to tell the honest truth i suppose its open for debate how he would cope with todays markers, its just a different game now.
    Do you know where jimmy lives ? as many years ago a mate of mine was doing building work somewhere and jimmy used to walk past to get his morning paper, cant ask my mate as he,s kicked the bucket now, mind you i am talking 1990s here and greavsie might have moved since.

Just out of curiosity really as dave (my mate) said you could have a laugh and joke with him, i think they used to taunt jimmy as he walked by ! shouting out "its a funny old game "

Think his doing the comedy circuit

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11 2011, 03:55

think he lives near me in halsted or near here sumwhere as he owns a golf course

anyway baz thats my point hes a goalscorer, he shouldnt be back defending

if he was playing today in enland he would be ask to run everywhere

you want these players in the 6yard box not out by touchline

darren bents a natural goalscorer

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11 2011, 05:49

Loughtonlegend wrote:think he lives near me in halsted or near here sumwhere as he owns a golf course

anyway baz thats my point hes a goalscorer, he shouldnt be back defending

if he was playing today in enland he would be ask to run everywhere

you want these players in the 6yard box not out by touchline

darren bents a natural goalscorer

Makes sense that he lives in that area lought, my mate lived in essex and never went any further than london.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Fri Nov 11 2011, 06:41

Darren Bent a natural goalscorer lmao only thing natural about Darren Bent is his beard. If he is so good how many games didnt he score for Sunderland about 20 hasnt Gabby got more goals than him this season too

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11 2011, 07:13

mark now your being silly
    he scored so many goals and more then defoe and with less chances

and he scores in big games. defoe cant
    plus hes scored goals at old trafford and emirates
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Nov 11 2011, 19:33

and he scores in big games. defoe cant
    plus hes scored goals at old trafford and emirates[/quote]

and still lost
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Fri Nov 11 2011, 21:18

BazSpur wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:

I think that was Eddie Clayton according to my research. I am sure Len, Seebee or Mikey will verify it.

Eddie Clayton it was, a man who, along with Dave Mackay, once cost me a girl friend. Interesting to see Maurice Norman playing at right back as well.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Nov 11 2011, 22:53

I do not think Greaves would have had any problems playing today because the main weapons in his armoury were exceptional speed over the first five yards, and a footballing brain that ensured he was moving a split second before the opposition. Very, very few players had that combination and in the current PL the only player I can think of a bit like JG is Suarez - explosive pace and a sharp mind.

And yes I did see Greaves play - I as even at WHL the day he scored that goal against Toon jocolor

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:02

anicoll5 wrote:I do not think Greaves would have had any problems playing today because the main weapons in his armoury were exceptional speed over the first five yards, and a footballing brain that ensured he was moving a split second before the opposition. Very, very few players had that combination and in the current PL the only player I can think of a bit like JG is Suarez - explosive pace and a sharp mind.

And yes I did see Greaves play - I as even at WHL the day he scored that goal against Toon jocolor

You may well be right nic,i was just taking into account off the ball incidents that happen in todays game, shirt tugging, tripping, blocking , and half the time the refs dont see it, very quick players get that treatment before they get the ball passed to them, lennon, bale and defoe are just examples that i know of only as i watch many of the spurs games.
    He was a great player, and a great sense of humour too
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:07

anicoll5 wrote:I do not think Greaves would have had any problems playing today because the main weapons in his armoury were exceptional speed over the first five yards, and a footballing brain that ensured he was moving a split second before the opposition. Very, very few players had that combination and in the current PL the only player I can think of a bit like JG is Suarez - explosive pace and a sharp mind.

Was that the goal where he threaded the ball through what looked like the eye of a needle between the goalies bodie and the top corner of the net because I was there that day and I remember WHL exploding with disbelief as the goal went in?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:12

seebee1944 wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:

Eddie Clayton it was, a man who, along with Dave Mackay, once cost me a girl friend. Interesting to see Maurice Norman playing at right back as well.

Thank you Seebee. By the way how did you lose your girfriend?
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:23

I think he may have scored two that day Baz but the one I mean was when he picked the ball up in his own half, or just over half way and left two Toon defenders sprawling before sliding it past the keeper in front of the Paxton - no hurry in the way he went about it - a player totally confident in his ability
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Nov 11 2011, 23:40

Don't really agree there Nic as I think Van Persie, or Crystal Ken, has that kind of speed of thought where he is reacting just that little bit quicker than everyone else.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 00:01

anicoll5 wrote:I think he may have scored two that day Baz but the one I mean was when he picked the ball up in his own half, or just over half way and left two Toon defenders sprawling before sliding it past the keeper in front of the Paxton - no hurry in the way he went about it - a player totally confident in his ability

I remember that one too nick, not sure if it was the same game though.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 00:08

I think the goal you are refering to is on this montage at 3.31 minutes in Nic.

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 00:11

Hmm not sure Baz - It was a lovely sunny afternoon late in the season cos the pitch was bald, and Toon were done out in a sort of dark green outfit lol

As for RvP and Greaves I just don't see it Ion - in spite of the fact that Robin is scoring goals left,right and centre he is just not a natural predator, he's quick I agree but a very different type of finisher
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 00:14

Ah probably not the one then.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 00:16

Yep that is the one - silky Very Happy

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:11

was football easyer back in the 60s. defenders where rubbbish

football standards have got better. keepers or better

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:31

Loughtonlegend wrote:was football easyer back in the 60s. defenders where rubbbish

football standards have got better. keepers or better

Ffs lought, it was a different and if you ask me better era of football then, it wasnt all about money in those days, yes bill nic splashed out but it was to uphold the spurs tradition he had created, free flowing football in the spurs style.
    Its an insult to those spurs players to say defenders and goalkeepers were crap, they were still the best of their era and we conquered all that was put in front of us, that was a great team with jimmy in.
    My point is that i feel he would be fouled big time today, the same way bale and lennon are now, i think he would still score 25 goals in todays prem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30 2024, 13:29