The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
ade - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
ade - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
ade - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
ade - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
ade - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
ade - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
ade - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
ade - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
ade - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

ade - Page 4 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
anicoll5
MarkA249
BazSpur
LOBO
8 posters

ade

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

ade - Page 4 Empty Re: ade

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:46

Ted Ditchburn and Pat Jennings rubbish? ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:57

so jimmy the best goalscoer but cant hold the ball up. so would not be good enough to get in the spurs team because you guys think we need a forward who can do everything

darren bent the best natrual goalscorer at the moment yet we hardly played him because he cant hold the ball up.

as for 60s football do me a favor. strikers today would score so many.

im sorry but football in the 60s is like division 3 quailty.

of course theres some specal players most of it is dire in terms of quailty

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 03:59

BazSpur wrote:Ted Ditchburn and Pat Jennings rubbish? ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204 ade - Page 4 348204

Wish we had jennings now, but friedels fine, a proper keeper in the english style, none of these flapping fannies from overseas, cudicini is ok, we might have got 4th last year with him.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 04:08

Loughtonlegend wrote:so jimmy the best goalscoer but cant hold the ball up. so would not be good enough to get in the spurs team because you guys think we need a forward who can do everything

darren bent the best natrual goalscorer at the moment yet we hardly played him because he cant hold the ball up.

as for 60s football do me a favor. strikers today would score so many.

im sorry but football in the 60s is like division 3 quailty.

of course theres some specal players most of it is dire in terms of quailty

Crap and a lought wind up, lought you dont even answer questions put to you, you should call yourself mr fickle, thats why we got the label in the first place.
    Unbeaten since the man city defeat and you still arent happy.
    Poor harry ! poor baz to have to read this stuff, could understand it if we had a few points on the table but we are in such a good position but bents the answer, and adel, and gio and pav....
    Why cant you see the positives in the team ? how about answering that one ?
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 04:14

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]was football easyer back in the 60s. defenders where rubbbish

football standards have got better. keepers or better[/quote]

Keepers are bloody diabolical nowadays compared to earlier generations though to be fair to the the balls are lighter nowadays.

As for defenders being "rubbish" there was absolutely no requirement for a defender to do anything back then other than defend - attacking full backs were pretty much unknown. defender knocking a good pass was greeted with gasps of shock

What defenders did have going for them though is they could be entirely ruthless in their job and frankly Lought the pansies who play football in the forward lines today would not have lasted five minutes

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 05:05

thanks for the sensible reply nic. and your right defenders and midfeilders got away with murder back then.

and lew im not on a wind up im just saying football in the 60s was differnt and lacked skill and defenders was more physical then good.

and you still not anserd me. would you rather have jimmy or gary lineker who just scored goals or have a forward who works hard and comes back and defends at corners.

i would take a goal poacher everytime

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 05:54

I will answer you when you bother to take the time to take on board what others and myself have to say, you have your own opinions lought and thats fine.
    The problem is you backtrack so much, last season defoe should be dropped, early this season bale should be dropped, the list goes on.......you chuck opinions out after every game and pick out a player who hasnt been mentioned by the sky or bbc commentator and say he had a bad game.
    Now defoe is preferrable to ade,you should go back and read your posts, next thing crouch will be better than ade.
    A little faith is needed at times, you are the type of person that blames a racehorse for not running up to form, but never takes into account how the racehorse feels on that particular day, do you have off days lought? well maybe footballers dont feel up to it somedays, doesnt make them crap over one game, doesnt make a racehorse bad because it doesnt run its race out everytime.
    Ever heard that saying ! dont judge unless you be judged "

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 06:34

i think ade is brillant and i wanted him over a year ago when some on he didnt. i just feel he needs a rest as u can tell hes not 100%

harry even said a few weeks back that ade is carrying an injury

bale has been woefull for ages. i even said to baz that phill nevil always had bale in hes pocket but baz just laughed but i watch games and i saw it with my own eyes.

its only recently bale been gettin some sort of form back
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 06:43

The first attacking fullback that actually registered with me was Cyril Knowles in the early 70s. They used to be called overlapping full backs in those days. I think Joe Kinnear also went on an attacking run now and then.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 06:52

You are right there Baz and from the early 70s full backs began to play a lot more football , while it was probably a coincidence the Mexico world cup showed Brazilians in every position running riot all over the field

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12 2011, 06:54

Cyril Knowles yea i heard he was good

joe kinnear. did sumthing bad happen when he was playing for us because unlike most ex players he never has anything nice to say about us
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 06:57

I would however back the keepers from the 60s to do well today - Bonnetti, Gordon West, Wilson, Jennings, the teenage Shilton, Clemence, Springett, Stepney and at the top of the pyramid Gordon Banks - my Gawd they would be worth a fortune today

And as now the odd turkey - step forward Gary Sprake lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 12 2011, 07:04

I was going to mention Sprake of Leeds Nic. Bob Wilson was a great goalkeeper too. Always seemed to put on a great display when you played us. Banksie was an absolute legend for Stoke and England. He never moved from Stoke either as far as I can remember.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 07:24

I remember (just) him moving to Stoke Baz from Leicester which happened after the WC in about 69
    Everyone was baffled and what a coup for Stoke but Leicester had a romising kid to take Banks' place

Peter Shilton who at 18/19 was already top drawer

God knows who was scouting for Leicester in those days !
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sat Nov 12 2011, 22:37

Actually attacking fullbacks were Alf Ramseys idea anyone remember the wingless wonders that won the world cup and Alf himself was quite an attacking player for the push and run team which was the forerunner of todays football. As Lew used to say, Arthur Rowe the world know not what it owes you (or words to that effect)
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Nov 12 2011, 23:09

seebee1944 wrote:

Actually attacking fullbacks were Alf Ramseys idea anyone remember the wingless wonders that won the world cup and Alf himself was quite an attacking player for the push and run team which was the forerunner of todays football. As Lew used to say, Arthur Rowe the world know not what it owes you (or words to that effect)

It was Sid who had that as his signature SeeBee.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sat Nov 12 2011, 23:16

My apologies to Sid
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sat Nov 12 2011, 23:49

Don't remember Ray Wilson or George Cohen ever crossing the half way line tbh
    Later on with Terry Cooper in an England shirt we got a bit more adventurous though !
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sun Nov 13 2011, 02:10

As I remember both Cohen & Wilson were renowned for their overlaps as was Jimmy Armfield who was only kept out of the world cup by injury.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Sun Nov 13 2011, 02:25

Well that is what 40 years of substance abuse has done to me then !
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Nov 13 2011, 07:32

anicoll5 wrote:Well that is what 40 years of substance abuse has done to me then !

ade - Page 4 348204

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30 2024, 13:44