The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
striker issues EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
striker issues EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
striker issues EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
striker issues EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
striker issues EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
striker issues EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
striker issues EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
striker issues EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
striker issues EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

striker issues Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

striker issues

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

striker issues Empty striker issues

Post by LOBO Thu Jan 06 2011, 20:21

I was looking at our stats today, did you know that most of our goals in this season has come from midfield , so then its little wonder why we struggle to score at times.

This isn't a anti Crouch & Defoe thread but i feel its time we have to stop sticking up for them and look at the facts !!

For starters Crouch is 29 nearly 30 same as Pav nearly 30 and Defoe is nearly 29 , you could say all 3 are past there prime or near to the end of it , it is widely agreed by many ex players that pro striker comes into him prime around 26 - 30 so the theory goes, maybe a pointless stat but the fact remains these guys are not getting any younger .

The biggest shock for me is the demis of robbie keane still only 30 the same age or around about as the rest of our strikers yet he looks to have major burnout or his heart just isn't in it anymore , but hes living proof a typical example of a player past his prime , so if its happened to him then it could happen to the rest of our striker considering they are all around the same age, and lets be honest excluding pav we're just not scoring goals , or enough to keep us top four we are having to rely on chelski slipping up for now.

Some of you may disagree with me and see no fault with our strikers , ok defoe has been out for some considerable time this season a good excuse for him , but hand on heart how many of you can honestly say your happy with the strikers we have , and how much longer can they continue at the higest level in the strongest & most physical league in the world taking into account all our strikers are nearly or around the 30 year old mark , in footballing terms getting old lol

So what is the Solution to all this, do we just continue to stick up for there short comings and blame others , or do we look for new blood, or is that to drastic for some of you to tinker with the balance of the team, i'd like to know your true thoughts on this, don't be afraid to speak up or speak out in fear of ridicule , after all its what we need on some serious debate . like or not our strikers are sucking bigtime factamundo , i think we lack real quailty infront of goal , how much longer can we continue like this ..

Maybe i'm way of the mark here, but i honestly feel strongly about this that we just don't have good enough strikers and this season has proven so, don't get me wrong we do have decent strikers , Defoe i would say is the Best of the bunch but only just , but none of them imo would get into a citeh , utd , chelski or ars-e side not in a million years, we need to improve and get some new talent, one or two strikers i feel , suarez & wolfswinkle would be nice, please though arry not andy carroll, i just dont rate him .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

striker issues Empty Re: striker issues

Post by djfitzo Thu Jan 06 2011, 20:34

To be honest Lobo, you look down the league and midfielders contribute a lot to most teams, football has changed and you rrely get a 30 goals a season centre forward these days.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jan 06 2011, 23:05

Spot on Dave, just look at Rooney. Hardly setting the Prem alight.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Jan 06 2011, 23:24

djfitzo wrote:To be honest Lobo, you look down the league and midfielders contribute a lot to most teams, football has changed and you rrely get a 30 goals a season centre forward these days.

I'd be happy with 20 , you look at the table yea looks good but then look at the goals difference it tells a different story, we just don't score enough , if it comes down to goal differance at the end of the season we will lose out because all of the above excluding chelski atm have scored far more goals that we have , rooney apart from this season averages about 20 -25 a season for utd which isnt bad
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Jan 07 2011, 00:08

LOBO wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:To be honest Lobo, you look down the league and midfielders contribute a lot to most teams, football has changed and you rrely get a 30 goals a season centre forward these days.

I'd be happy with 20 , you look at the table yea looks good but then look at the goals difference it tells a different story, we just don't score enough , if it comes down to goal differance at the end of the season we will lose out because all of the above excluding chelski atm have scored far more goals that we have , rooney apart from this season averages about 20 -25 a season for utd which isnt bad

Take our nearest and dearest Lobo, the Arsenal get most of their goals from midfield too, Nasris their top scorer with 9, Chamakhs only got 7, but your right, someone like Suarez would tick all the boxes and although we dont let in shed loads, our goals against is poor compared to the teams above and around us.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jan 07 2011, 00:36

I've been saying it for a while now, all of our strikers are what I would describe as 'support Strikers', not lead the line strikers. Their contributions are not consistent with goals coming in gluts rather than being spread out over more games. All strikers have their droughts but our strikers droughts seem to be more extensive. Lought has a point when he talks about many goals being concentrated into fewer games which make stats look good but have less of a bearing on the points tally than you would believe.

I said pre season that I think we should be looking at bringing in 2 class strikers, I still believe that now and I think the two I keep banging on about, Torres and Suarez, would be perfect. The addition of these 2, I believe, will take us to the next level and make us Champions.

Look at Torres now, he's still scoring goals even though his form is dire and his body language screams that he'd rather be anywhere else. I think he'd love it at Spurs with the creativity and team spirit, I really think he'd find his form in a flash with us and score potfuls.

The possibility of getting Suarez I find exciting too. He's scoring for fun in the Dutch league and I'm struggling to think of a single Dutch striker that has ever gone abroad and been an abject failure. Alright, I'll concede that Kuyt will never get a sniff at the Golden Boot but he was never considered to be up there with striking talent like RVN, Crystal Ken, Bergkamp, Van Basten or Gullit. Come to think of it, not too many Dutch players, full stop, have ever failed in our league, I give you VDV as a prime example.

Keane should soon be gone and I'd go for broke to bring these two in. 17 mill for Suarez and, probably, around 25 mill for Torres. 42 mill for the goals that these two would supply? 42 mill to give us the Championship? Subtract from that the 7 mill for Keane and the 10 to 15 mill we'd get for either Crouch, Pav or, dare I say it, Defoe and the sum is then a manageable 20 mill or so.Pay out 20 mill to get a return of close to 100 mill, if we win the Prem and maintain CL, is sound business strategy in my eyes.

I hope to God that Harry is still reading the forum!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 08:04

defoe played 22 games in 2010 and scored 5 goals

he has not scored a goal since the pen aganst chelsea.

the last goal from open play defoe got was march 13 aganst blackburn in the 3 1 win. 17 games ago it makes kenwin jones look good ricardo fuller kevin nolan lol.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 08:05

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Fri Jan 07 2011, 10:55

If we got new strikers in, would we stop getting goals from midfield? or have midfielders become the new strikers.

Scrap strikers all together and just have extra midfielders. lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 18:23