The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Let's be Honest about Modric EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Let's be Honest about Modric Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
BazSpur
ionman34
shearspur
cynicsid
LOBO
9 posters

Let's be Honest about Modric

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Let's be Honest about Modric Empty Let's be Honest about Modric

Post by LOBO Fri Jul 08 2011, 21:06

The guy wants out, and we all know eventually he will go , the theory is if we can qualify for the CL next year then he will stay , but we are all to old and wise to know that its just a matter of time and he will be gone , no matter what , and just because its happening to us it wont happen, Berbatov went when we said he wasn't for sale , and i pretty sure Modders will be off soon, question is , is Arry that desperate to hold on to him knowing full well if we said go he would leave, does any manager want a player in his team that has already had there head turned .

No doubt about Modric is a great player we can't afford to lose him, but lets be realistic about it, he wants out end off, but we hold the cards and he know's that and legally can't do anything about it, but we all know as fans his heart isn't in it, he wants CL football and he doesn't care who its with it seems.

With the money we would get from his departure we can go buy some good players, we found Berbatov & Modric and turned them into world stars we can do that again im pretty certain by finding new talent .
    er.

Ray Wilkins today
    Ray Wilkins has claimed Tottenham will find it difficult to hold on to wantaway midfielder Luka Modric.
    The Croatian playmaker has voiced his desire to leave Spurs and join Chelsea this summer and earlier this week Lilywhites chairman Daniel Levy issued a hands-off notice to all potential suitors.
    But Wilkins, the former Blues player and assistant manager, believes new boss Andre Villas-Boas won't delay his pursuit of Modric.

There will be some big names coming in and there will probably be a few disappearing as well

Ray Wilkins
    Speaking to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show, he said: “I don’t think it’ll be too long before Chelsea start dipping into the [transfer] market.
    “There will be some big names coming in and there will probably be a few disappearing as well.
    “I think it will be extremely difficult for Tottenham to hold on to Modric if you look at the numbers being thrown around.
    “Modric is wonderfully talented but football is a job of work and if someone offers more money to go elsewhere, no matter what business or what vocation they have in life, they will leave and go for something better.”
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Let's be Honest about Modric Empty Re: Let's be Honest about Modric

Post by cynicsid Sat Jul 09 2011, 05:29

You know what, I really dont want to hang on to him until he's worthless so a decision has to be made at some point. if he went for £35M we would of had a good player for free for a few years and made a good 10 15M profit on top.

Now, I know what your thinking, but wait.

Accepting that being a selling club is looked down on and putting it to one side for a sec.

Think about Spurs being able to acheive this year in year out, maintaining a quality squad of players, buying and selling yes but always making a profit that covers the wages paid while the player was with us?

I dont want Modric to go, infact I think if he does we can kiss tataa to Bale & VDV as well.

But my point is we must look at every deal on its merits.

If player A can be sold for a fee that covers his purchase, the wages he's been paid to date and provide for a profit then surley we can build a better team, Cant we?

If Modders was sold for £35M then as well as having a qaulity player for a couple of years, we will have turned £16.6M into £35.M

Of course it only works if we take the £35M and get as good a player to start the process over again. A bit like selling berbatov and buying modric. or Selling Carrick and buying berbatov. Selling some unknown couple of reserve players and buying Lennon. Maybee even selling Keane & buying Keane. LOL

Now who could we trust to do all that?

He's Bald, He's Short
    Agent's try but they get nought.
    Levy Boyyyyyyyy, Levy Boyyyyyyyyy.

LOL
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Jul 09 2011, 06:41

no because we will never have a stable team,every couple of seasons flogging off the family silver to the bigger clubs who will continue to dominate at the expense of thfc always being the nearly boys who unearth the odd gem to bring to the attention of united chelsea city etc.no thanks
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Jul 09 2011, 13:15

I'm with Shear on this one Sid.

Keeping Modric isn't about keeping Modric, if you know what I mean. Keeping him is about taking a stand and declaring to the World that we are a top team in Europe with ambitions to dine at the top table, regularly, on merit. By doing this, and of course qualifying for CL once more, we reinforce our appeal to a higher standard of player whilst convincing the likes of Utd and Chelski that they are dealing with us on level terms. By qualifying for CL, we take away one more bargaining chip from these clowns.
    They fear us Sid, they see the way we are set up financially, they can see that when the FFP regs come in then we are in a position of strength. They're desperately trying to bring in as much talent as possible this season because FFP will preclude them being able to cherrypick Europes best talent. Hence the derisory bid on Modric. They can only afford to pay that much as they need to bring in quite a few players. Look at them at the mo, how many first team players do they have over 30? Even Torres, at 50 million, is 27. If they want to recoup even a percentage of that 50 mill they'll have to sell him in a couple of years.

If Modric is instrumental in gaining us CL once more, how small does 35 look then? If he's instrumental in getting it over the next 2 seasons then 35 mill looks like peanuts. If his going leads to Bale and VDV leaving, which will lead to any player with ambition leaving too, then what price 35 million?

The further question is why continually build our squad for the benefit of others? Why build a squad to challenge for the title only to sell it off JUST before we realise that ambition?

No mate, selling Modric has much farther reaching ramifications. What we do here could effectively shape Tottenham's future for at least the next decade IMHO.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Jul 09 2011, 20:28

I dissagree with me also. LOL

My point was, I'm sure that all will be done too keep Modric and the rest of our "better players" But we do have a club to run and players dont last forever so there must be a point (not now) when it's the best time to sell a player. The way I see it there are 3 main reasons to sell a good player. 1, to finance a deal to bring in an even better player. 2, An idiotic bid comes in for a player that is starting to show signs of a drop in performance. 3, to end what I call a Berbatov, a situation that is causing such upset in the club that the teams overal performance is being seriously effected.

The numbers I used in my first post were to make a point. Ask yourself what you would do if that Modric offer was £80M or £120M and he was replaced by Nasri for £30M. It's an easy decition if the numbers are big enough but Levy has to deal in much finer margins.

I fully accept that selling a player like Modric without bringing in a player on an equal level would show weekness to other clubs & players.

But we need to show a little faith in the Director that has "without getting us in debt" built up a squad by way of making some pretty astute signings and sales along the way. If he sold Modric (which I dont think he will) then I for one would be satisfied that Levy had done all he can for the good of the club and isnt just profiteering.

Right now I think the biggest problem we have is that under Harry the out of favour 1st teamers get such little game time there appeal drops of a lot, to the point were we cant unload them. What price Jenas, or Hutton?. Kranky is going to go for peanuts now when the reality is he is a very good player kept out of the team by an excellent player.

Maybe we should have a boot sale?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Jul 09 2011, 21:29

Reps for Shear and ion. 100% agree. We must send out a message that we are not easy push overs when it comes to other clubs opening their wallets.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:14

cynicsid wrote:I dissagree with me also. LOL

My point was, I'm sure that all will be done too keep Modric and the rest of our "better players" But we do have a club to run and players dont last forever so there must be a point (not now) when it's the best time to sell a player. The way I see it there are 3 main reasons to sell a good player. 1, to finance a deal to bring in an even better player. 2, An idiotic bid comes in for a player that is starting to show signs of a drop in performance. 3, to end what I call a Berbatov, a situation that is causing such upset in the club that the teams overal performance is being seriously effected.

I agree mate. However, Levy has stymied all of that by making the unequivocal statement that we will sell none of our star players. I think the man has done superbly well for the club by persuading players to commit to real long term deals. In this way he has put all of the power in his own hands. If anyone wanted to see whether he is able to learn from previous lessons then this is it. No one will EVER hold him, or the club, to ransom again. He got huge sums back on Carrick and Berbatov when they only had 2 years or less on their contracts. He could hold onto Modric for a further 3 years and do the same.

Let's face it too, in 3 years the interest in Modric should have cooled too as the likes of Chelski and Utd will have had to look elsewhere to fill the position. That way we can sell abroad to the likes of Barca, Real et al as they constantly revamp their outfits.

The numbers I used in my first post were to make a point. Ask yourself what you would do if that Modric offer was £80M or £120M and he was replaced by Nasri for £30M. It's an easy decition if the numbers are big enough but Levy has to deal in much finer margins.

LOL. You like to turn the screws dontcha? We both know that 80 to 120 million is a pipe dream but I know what you're getting at. Those sort of sums, particularly if a suitable replacement is found, negate the CL income so the answer is an easier one. In that case I think most of us would be asking 'What you waiting for Danny, snap his arm off!' Nut as I said before, the kind of sums being mentioned are peanuts, relatively speaking, to the revenue gained from CL participation.

I fully accept that selling a player like Modric without bringing in a player on an equal level would show weekness to other clubs & players.

That and that any player coming in can look forward to gaining a foothold in the EPL before getting a hefty payday when, not if, they're moved on.

But we need to show a little faith in the Director that has "without getting us in debt" built up a squad by way of making some pretty astute signings and sales along the way. If he sold Modric (which I dont think he will) then I for one would be satisfied that Levy had done all he can for the good of the club and isnt just profiteering.

Agreed, and that faith is being shown, by most of us anyway, in our belief that he will stick to his guns and back his own statement that he will not sell. Should he renege on that then faith is a commodity that he has no right to. At this moment in time, the best interests of the club are to keep Modders so we can get into the CL once again. Also to show any players 'interested' in us that we are a team that retains its stars and will challenge for all the honours available, not just the 'consolation prizes' that some trophies have become.

Right now I think the biggest problem we have is that under Harry the out of favour 1st teamers get such little game time there appeal drops of a lot, to the point were we cant unload them. What price Jenas, or Hutton?. Kranky is going to go for peanuts now when the reality is he is a very good player kept out of the team by an excellent player.

Early doors yet Sid and I think we'll see some movement on these players soon. Hutton will go for around 5 mill so we make a small loss on him. Jenas probably about the same so a small loss there too. Kranky though, if we get, say, 8 million for him then we break even on all 3. In addition, let's not forget the contribution all 3 have made to get us into competing in Europe. If you take all of this into account, I'm sure we'd see that we've actually profited on them all.
    I reckon we'll get around 10 mill for Kranky anyway so a small profit in player trading for the three.

Maybe we should have a boot sale?

If it's Aitch involved then we'd have them hawked in Potobello Road!
    'It's a deal, it's a steal, it's f*cking Sale of the Century! Come on my Darlin's, 3 for the price of two and I'm robbing meself 'ere. Loverly little bitta Scotch 'ere, well marinated too and rather tasty on a wing. Or we gotcha vintage JJ 'ere. Great runner, great engine, low mileage too as 'e's been garaged for a while. Then we gotcha golden Croat 'ere. Classic model looks, lotsa power, doesn't always start first time but never lets you down. I'm not askin' the Earth 'ere folks but I've goota move these on so I can make space for a few new models on the showroom floor.
    So folks, who'll give me 10 for the JJ and the Scotch?................
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:50

Let's be Honest about Modric 348204 ion Repped again. That made me laugh.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:53

Thank you Baz. Have one right back for your generosity.

Or is that bribery of a Mod so that I can get you to back me up?

lmao lmao lmao
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:55

PMSL only in some peoples eyes ion.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:59

People?

Surely residing under a bridge qualifies one as a Troll?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Jul 09 2011, 23:17

lol! I'm inclined to agree mate.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 01:09

but can we trust harry with the money.

so far hes buys have hardly been world beaters.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sun Jul 10 2011, 02:28

I have repped you Ion. There is no way in hell that Modric should be sold. As you say, I am fed up with bringing player's in and giving them the chance to make it big in the premiership only for them to kick us in the teeth as soon as the likes of United and Chelsea show an interest in them. I have said it before, if they are told they can not leave the club and start showing off like some spoilt kid, and it show's in their performance's they do not want to be here, then keep them on the bench. Modric has a six year contract, I doubt very much that his form will drop as the thought of sitting on the bench week in week out will surely inspire him to play at the top of his form. Player's can make it hard for a club these day's, so now it is about time the club's started fighting fire with fire by making it hard for them. Wenger has said Nasri and Fabregas are not going anywhere, good on him. All club's should start holding out against these player's, their agents, and the likes of United and Chelsea and show them that a contract is a contract and is binding and should be honoured by the club and player.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jul 10 2011, 03:42

Thank you Len, much appreciated. I'll send one right back as I'm in a giving mood today too. Very Happy

I'm loving the way Levy is conducting himself here. Totally professional and setting an example for every Chairman out there.

Something else that will interest you guys. Most of the transfer info I've been putting up, I've been getting from another web site, two to be precise, COYS and Spurs Community. Most of the info on here seems to go awry (Parker seems to be one of those - don't laugh Baz!) but a lot appears to be on the head as a few of the regs are close to members of the Spurs hierarchy.

Well one of the things I found out on there concerns our involvement in other parts of the World where we are putting the 'brand' out there in a positive way.
    In particular, we have been heavily involved in S Africa with our Academy over there being in place for the last 7 years, the coaches in these all being genuine Spurs coaches.
    The latest is out in Malasia, namely in Kuala Lumpur. Some of you will say 'where?' whilst others will say 'big deal, it's only Kuala Lumpur.' Don't underestimate this move gents, KL is one of the most Football mad areas of Asia, and we all know how ManU touted themselves around Asia eh?
    The difference here is that Spurs are in the country for the long haul, bringing an academy, with full training facilities & qualified coaches, to KL.

Lord Gary Mabbutt, official Ambassador for THFC, is out there to spearhead the operation.

Just thought I'd mention this as it highlights the strategies that DL and Enic have set in place for THFC. Firstly it puts the brand out to a wider market place, increasing our exposure around the World and increasing the fan base. Secondly, it shows that Spurs are more than just talk when they state they're into community improvements. They do it regularly in Tottenham and now show that they carry it out on a World stage. Thirdly it shows the determination of the club to be at the very top table for the sustainable future.

A lot of money has gone into these ventures with no guaranteed reward, but they have recognised that there is an abundance of talent in that part of the World and are actively trying to enhance it.
    Just think, if only one World Class talent comes through that system it will, in effect, pay for the entire thing.

So I think a big well done is in order here. Once again Spurs are Pioneers in the World of Football.

Incidentally, Ossie Ardiles is the Ambassador for Spurs in North and South America. Apparently our fan base is the fastest growing in that neck of the woods, greatly due to our exciting escapades in the CL and through Ossies efforts out there.

You really couldn't pick two better Ambassadors for the club than Ardiles and Lord Mabbutt, Two of the biggest Gentlemen the game ever saw.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jul 10 2011, 04:18

I didn't realise we were doing all that ion. Like you say Kudos to Danny for having the foresight to look to the future in that respect. Just shows what a great chairman he is.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 05:08

Trouble is Ion we may be doning some grass roots roots work in Maylasia but it is the likes of arsenil who are doing pre-season tours there. We are honouring our agreements in Sarf Afrika but may have missed out on a golden opportunity . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jul 10 2011, 05:19

VisionarySound wrote:Trouble is Ion we may be doning some grass roots roots work in Maylasia but it is the likes of arsenil who are doing pre-season tours there. We are honouring our agreements in Sarf Afrika but may have missed out on a golden opportunity . . . . .

I don't think so Vis. The goons may tour there but which do you think will leave the more lasting impression with the youth over there. Which team will they hold dear, the one they saw play once or twice, or the one that gave them the facilities and the training to realise a dream?

If anyone is missing a golden opportunity it's the goons and the rest of the EPL. We are building a lasting fan base out there with the community work, theirs is built on sand with the 'here today, gone tomorrow' attitude of turn up, play, pass out a few freebies then jet back to Europe and forget about the cash cows out in Malaysia.

We may not see an immediate impact, but our model is far more sustainable and Malaysia will be on the cards for the preseason tours too, mark my words.

As I see it, DL has a vision of putting us up there as one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the World. The stadium is part of the deal, as is the regular CL participation. But a part of that, just as big, is the globalisation of the brand. To not just have these youngsters wishing they could play for us, but to actually have a set up that gives them the chance.

Personally, I don't think the long term plan of Enic is to sell the club to the highest bidder at all, it's to make us the biggest club in the World.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 05:30

To be honest Ion probably the ones they saw in the flesh, the ones whose names they have on the back of their replica shirts in the short term. But to cement our relationship with the country we need to send our top players in to "be on the ground". But this isn't a criticism from me about the community work being done. Much the same as the work we hace started as a club in Sarf Afrika. Is it Orlando Pirates we have an agreement with the same as Inter in Brazil ? All these schemes can only benefit the club in the long run . . . .
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sun Jul 10 2011, 05:52

Good post Ion. Like Baz this is all news to me. Is Gary really a Lord or is that a title you have given him for being such a good servant to Spurs?, he was a very good player, and one I think who loved being at Tottenham, I can not understand how he did not take up management. I know this may seem stuppid but how can creating a fan base in Kuala Lumpur or North and South America benefit the club?. I know the people in these country's will say Spurs have done this and that for them, other than that I can not see how this will help us to become the biggest club in the World, it's not as though they can pop over to see the odd game or two thuss putting money into the club. I must be thick. Please try to explain in simple term's allowing for my age and being brain dead.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Jul 10 2011, 07:33

, it's to make us the biggest club in the World.[/b][/i][/color][/quote]WISH THEY WOULD BLOODY HURRY UP , IM 50 NOW. Very Happy
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jul 10 2011, 07:43

I Know what you mean Shear. I am 62 mate.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Jul 10 2011, 08:05

creeps up on us eh baz.lol

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 08:21

well we got in the champions league and then didnt sign anyone of any note so that was a waste. We need to think about now not the future.

i hear we are after another wonderkid whos 16. how many of them have we sign in last 5 years and none have come through
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jul 10 2011, 13:26

Boltjean wrote:Good post Ion. Like Baz this is all news to me. Is Gary really a Lord or is that a title you have given him for being such a good servant to Spurs?

It's something I like to call him Len. For me he is Footballing Royalty.

, he was a very good player, and one I think who loved being at Tottenham, I can not understand how he did not take up management.

Probably far too intelligent for that Len. lol!

I know this may seem stuppid but how can creating a fan base in Kuala Lumpur or North and South America benefit the club?. I know the people in these country's will say Spurs have done this and that for them, other than that I can not see how this will help us to become the biggest club in the World, it's not as though they can pop over to see the odd game or two thuss putting money into the club. I must be thick. Please try to explain in simple term's allowing for my age and being brain dead.

It's all about merchandising Len. The EPL is broadcast right across the World so these fans get to see the team perform week in week out. By having the academy set up over there, these fans have a more 'personal' reason to support our club. They will then buy the merchandise, replica shirts etc, which put vast amounts of money into the club. Think about it, just 50,000 fans buying replica shirts nets approximately 2 million. We probably get about half of that so 1 million. Multiply that 50,000 by 10, add to the merchandise they buy and suddenly you're getting towards the tens of millions. Multiply the countries by 10 and you're working towards the 100 millions.
    The numbers are probably overboard but think of it, by doing this we can feasibly increase the revenue of the club in the region of 50 million per year. Add stadium revenue, CL revenue, League revenue, including the extras for title wins etc, and we are on the way to being the biggest club in the World.

That, as I see it, is the vision that DL has for the club, to make us the biggest in the World.

And Lought. Spare me your 'what have they done for me lately' whinge every time you see me post something positive about the clubs future vision. DL has already changed our current status and has visibly set plans for our sustainability. If you want the 'go out and buy what we need for right now' approach then be my guest and go follow Chelsea or Citeh. They have that set up down pat.

You can always slink back once they go pop and we're the team everyone wants to play for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 16:44