The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
BazSpur
YID FROM DAV
spurslegend
SuneJim
8 posters

Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp

Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp Empty Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 21:40

This on http://www.dearmrlevy.com

Redknapp. He's like Marmite spread across your toast. Half of you would really like it and the other half would not be so keen and would much prefer jam as an alternative (not certain what jam is meant to be representative of at this time).

Happy with Harry? Staggered that I'm asking this question six games into the EPL. I'm going to humour all the discussion currently musing around on the various blogs and forums.

Obviously many of you are not or have never been (happy with Harry). Some of you are more supportive than others. Both sides have strong opinions. It's massively subjective for a number of reasons. It's the perception of the fans that adds (removes) credence to Redknapp's tenure. Half full, half empty ethics.

Quick history lesson then.

Harry came in and did a job. One that involved the resuscitation of the club as it slumped half-dead in the deepest darkest hole at the foot of the Prem. Mouth to mouth from the boat race of Harry, not a pretty sight. But it fixed the problems that needed fixing. He hugged a few players, got confidence on the up. There was no twitching, just a wide smile, a cheeky wink and a thumbs up. And we pulled ourselves to the upper regions. Miracle worker? Or making the most of a win-win situation? Levy master-stroke regardless. Because it was a risk that worked. Is that risk now punching above it's weight?

Here's the first subjective piece of the debate.

Harry got the players playing to an acceptable standard and on occasions out of their skin. That's it. He hasn't worked a miracle. He took over the botched up job Ramos left behind and got them to work for themselves and each other. A unit. To some, this is simply the result of decent management and not the by-product of the messiah. He didn't get us onto a new level. He got us back up to the level we were meant to be at and instilled some self-respect. Across the divide, it was more than just a rescue mission. He was seen to fulfil a duty that so many others couldn’t quite get their heads around. Not only did he fix confidence and resurrect the team, he took us further (CL) when many had argued he was not cut out for either job. Especially the latter one, with aiming and taking fourth.

Onwards onto the second subjective piece of the debate. What level are we meant to be at then? I ask this because some people see claiming fourth again as the be all and end all whilst others want even more and plenty understand and appreciate we might find ourselves just outside the CL places but as long as we challenge until the death, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

We have been inconsistent for years. Mediocre (see the 1990's). Previous modern day managers have all failed to match expectations. The Jol period was (is) the foundation we have managed to build on, be it that some of the structure collapsed when we hired a Spanish cowboy to finish the job. But there was no genuine push or challenge after 2006 that would suggest we had genuinely turned the corner. Flirted with the dream, with the ideals. Nothing more. Think of the pre-Jol era. Depressing. Jol got us back into the game, but then many cited at the time he had limitations. Wasn't good enough for the big occasion. Had to be replaced. Déjà vu, eh?

Harry is the first manager for a long time to truly get results for us. Statistically, his win ratio is unequalled (yes it's only been 2 years). We've looked the part on the field in terms of style and application (eventually) during the recovery of 2009 and the epic journey of 2010. 4th and CL football. The impossible dream achieved. Of course, the landscape of the domestic league is a very different place to what it was back in 2006. It's far more open now. Not to say that a manager should be marked down on points just because Liverpool are crap.

However, just because we finished 4th doesn't mean we should be resting on our laurels. And the argument is that in more capable hands, this team would be doing far better than it is at the moment.

Harry rebuilt a lot of the damaged parts. He gave Levy that quick fix of stability. But how long do you give someone to see if they can continue to build on the newly laid foundations? Is there a lack of patience because of the need to see instant and continuous results? Or should we attempt to remember how long it's taken for us to get here?

The divide is with the people that embrace time and those that want to travel through it at pace.

The third subjective piece would be the one that splits me at times. And actually forms part of the previous one.

I appreciate the challenge at hand. If we're going to progress we need to be ruthless. On the pitch and off it. Levy has a strategy, be it one that concerns redevelopment off the pitch. What he wants on it is consistency. What we need is something more than that. There is no point plodding along. But he's astute. He's already made statements about not over-extending ourselves.

And we all know that the Prem is looking like it might well birth a time-share on 4th spot between 2/3 clubs. Still, you would hope deep down the ambition is to destroy the other contenders and claim it for ourselves. Why just aim at the target when you can see it's bulls eye? But that's me the fan, wanting and needing, always that little bit more. He (Levy) knows that patience is a virtue and prefers to make sure it's a steady rise to the top. No cutting corners. No massive unnecessary risks. Although the risk here could be the lack of risks.

So how does this split me exactly and divide the rest of you?

Harry has his limitations. I questioned him, at times, last season in terms of tactical prowess but still he mastered some superb victories - high pressured victories - at the death of the season. He's not daft. And he has proved people wrong, time and time again. But is he good enough for the Champions League? Good enough to push the team and pioneer its evolution? Can he adapt at this stage in his career? Learn from mistakes? Change his ways if it means improving the team? Is he out of his depth? Is it even fair to be posing these questions when the true test of his skill has yet to begin?

Harry works best when Harry has to fix things. Although, this current problem (if that's what our current form is) is one made from the hands of Harry and not inherited. There's no hiding place or quickie catchphrase available to divert and deflect. Some believe we just got lucky last season. If that's luck, bottle it the f**k up.

So on the one hand, you have us stable and looking in the right direction, but on the other, if he's not going to be here long term then what else is he capable of bringing to the table? Some of us, they want that sacrifice. Club before loyalty to a servant.

The subjective piece here is whether we go ahead and sacrifice the present, to guarantee the future. It's a bit wishy-washy mainly because you can do something about the present in terms of changing things, but you can't predict what's ahead and how it will effect the progress of the past two seasons. This, ties back into what level we believe ourselves to sit at and also if Levy is willing to take another risk. The last risk was forced upon him. Some of you would rather see it being premeditated this time round rather than reactive because there's no other choice.

I know one thing for certain. Stability. It's imperative.

My gripe with everything I've covered is the complete lack of consistency with how we think it's all meant to work. There is plenty of drastic cut-throat fan opinion at the moment. And quite a bit of see no evil hear no evil going on too. So where do you stand on this?

We have stagnated if you review our low-key performances and lack of oomph six games in, if you take it from the second half of the City game to the present day. But it's not quite an implosion or an epic failure. We've had the good with the bad and been average overall. It's disappointing in terms of the standard of our football in comparison to what we know this team has achieved on the pitch. Disappointing we've dropped points to team we 'should' be beating. We are missing the vital traits of intensity and spirit. Disappointing we look over-stretched defensively. Missing Defoe too. And that pride thing that set us on our way back in the post-two points from eight games days. That has gone AWOL.

Panic will no doubt rear it's head if we fail to get out of this lazy slump in the next month. We might find ourselves struggling with confidence in a far more evident detrimental way. But next month hasn't happened yet. And as much as I would want us to be outstanding from the off, this is a first time experience for our squad and for Harry in terms of EPL and CL. There is some vital, urgent re-tuning to be had. He's a manager. It's his job to fix it up. We need to look the part in the league.

Harry now has to adapt tactically and motivationally to the challenges ahead and within this, the divide between both sets of opposing views might well close up a little. But in terms of support (personally) I'm nowhere near the state of mind that would have me calling for his head on a plate. I'll admit I'm wrong if it all goes full on pear shaped, but then last season I can remember plenty of near suicidal fans screaming message board abuse at how Harry was mucking up our season. There are some that are incapable of handling the pressures from one game to the next.

Perhaps a learning curve is not an acceptable reasoning tool. But considering we have not been here before, I'm not sure we have a choice other than to support the team and just wait and see. That isn't exactly a mind-blowing assessment of matters. But what else? What would the alternative be?

Do we have impossible expectations with no room for compassion and the memory of a goldfish in terms of the past? Or is it that compassion is no longer welcomed in this particular high-end arena we wish to stay in? Or is it far more simplistic than that. We're not world beaters but it's obvious we can be playing far better and it's obvious how. If it's the latter, can we perhaps wait until the 15th game before we start burning effigies.

The lack of a world class striker is the biggest negative for both manager and fans. The injuries, not the best in terms of preparation from one game to the next. We've lost key players. But it's football. You don't always buy the players you want and you don't always have all players available for selection.

I guess it goes back to the subjective matter of what you want from the team at this specific moment. Do you think we are under-achieving, this early in the season, and that it's not acceptable and that all the evidence points to it being a problem that can not be sorted long term? A fatal tumour that can not be operated on because our surgeon doesn't have the necessary tools and experience? Or do we simply need another mouth-to-mouth to save the day?

Overly dramatic, yes. Well all this just about sums up how fragmented and fickle we are as a collective.

As for myself. I can see what isn't working and expect to see improvements. I know I'm adding fuel to the fire by opening a platform for discussion. But it's the type of discussion that's unequivocally made in Tottenham. And let's not pretend it's not going on. It's a slice of the now. And we can refer back to this at the end of December and laugh (cry) about it.

So go ahead and burn the place down...

Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp Empty Re: Loving, Hating Harry Redknapp

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 22:59

However, just because we finished 4th doesn't mean we should be resting on our laurels. And the argument is that in more capable hands, this team would be doing far better than it is at the moment.

Nice find Max, intresting read full of valid points.

But who do these more capable hands belong to ? Who will role into The Lane and take us that final step into the promised land ? For too many years Spurs have chopped & changed managers far too often. What is required is a manager to be given time to build. And by complaining when a slight slip back is encountered is doing any manager a disservice. My only gripe with 'arry is his flirtation with the England job but that has been covered elsewhere on here. . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 00:04

But who do these more capable hands belong to ? Who will role into The Lane and take us that final step into the promised land ? For too many years Spurs have chopped & changed managers far too often. What is required is a manager to be given time to build. And by complaining when a slight slip back is encountered is doing any manager a disservice. My only gripe with 'arry is his flirtation with the England job but that has been covered elsewhere on here. . . . . .

My view entirely, Vis, Harry needs to concentrate on the job in hand, i dont think that there is anyone better for Spurs out there at the moment. Rep for your comments .
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Wed Sep 29 2010, 01:36

Great find that full of thought provoking points,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Firstly Harry when he came in i was more than happy because he was the perfect manager for that particular job, getting us out of the relegation mire which he done with his eyes closed & we only narrowly missed out on a Euro place in the end.

So the brief for the next season was Euro Football & i like many questioned Harry's experience & tactical nouse to take us higher up the table, but with each game i could feel all my worries drifting away & apart from a few terrible errors i was completely happy & Harry seemed to be evolving as a Manager so we finished in the Top 4.

But this season is another massive step up that he's not experienced in with the CL & real league expectations. He's made mistakes all ready but he has admitted as much so if we keep the faith & Harry can adapt & learn as quickly as he did last season to the new challenges he'll get it right & we'll improve quickly.

What we have to remember is it's only early season & we're still in the top 8, so still in touching distance of the Top 4 with a couple of bad results & in the group stages of the CL with a very creditable draw in Germany so what exactly do people want.

I'd also like to point out that i think Kevin Bond & Joe Jordon do a good job & a long with Harry make a very good team to carry on leading Spurs into new frontier's in the years to come.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Wed Sep 29 2010, 01:47

HARRYS THE BEST THING TO COME TO SPURS IN YEARS HES GIVEN US WHAT WE COULD ONLY DREAM ABOUT CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL WE HAVE 8 POINTS SCUM HAVE 11 THEY ARE 3RD 3 POINTS IN IT GET A GRIP BOYS WE HAVE ONLY PLAYED 6 GAMES

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 02:04

Have a rep legs, some sanity at last about what has been achieved in so short a time !
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Thu Sep 30 2010, 04:01

im very grateful for what harry has done and i have no real problems with him but i dont think he can take us alot further.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Sep 30 2010, 04:17

As someone said, "He's like Marmite, you either love him or hate him.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Sep 30 2010, 10:59

YID FROM DAV wrote:im very grateful for what harry has done and i have no real problems with him but i dont think he can take us alot further.

I'm old enough to recall ManU fans' views on SAF just before the Prem started. He'd been there 5 years and won naff all. They had effectively lost faith and wanted him gone as they thought he'd taken them as far as he could, the board were pretty much thinking the same thing ............. Right up until he won the FA Cup.

I've used this example with Jol, with Ramos and with countless other managers over the Prem years. Now, unbelievably, I'm having to bring it up with Harry after 6 games when we are within touching distance of top spot.

fcuking unbelievable.

My whole life I have done nothing but back my team, support them through thick and thin. I've never booed them once ......... Ever. Never called for a Managers head and always used reasoned argument to back up my beliefs.

I take pride in the fact that I have extensive knowledge on how the beautiful game is, and should be, played and have backed that consistently.

But I get lumped in with this 'Fickle' Bollox that gets tagged onto Spurs fans because of this fcuked up, thick as two short planks attitude that as soon as the going gets a little tough then we need to start sacking people, particularly the manager. Moreso if he's 'not fancied.'

The same happens with certain players and God forbid they ever have a dip in form, as the Town Criers will be out in force telling all and sundry that they are shite and need to be sold.

Some here had doubts that Harry could get us to Europe, he did it.

Some had doubts that he'd take us that one step further into CL, he did it.

Now there are some who don't believe he can take us any further. Based on what? Based on the FACT that, to date, he has proven every doubter out there wrong and achieved each step in spite of them?
    Knowing some Spurs fans, rather than be pleased to be proven wrong, his achievements just rankle further with them, making them so much more vociferous when the blips occur. I detest this part of our fan base as they truly are fickle, and take more pleasure in being able to say 'I told you so' than they do in seeing a manager prove them wrong and take us to Glory.

What I would say to you, YFD, is don't go with what you 'feel' he can or can't do, as this leads to a prejudiced viewing of the man based on whether you like or dislike him, but go with what he has 'proven' he can do. That is hard evidence and hard FACT. He has achieved, he has shown his ability to learn and adapt, he has proven his ability to get the very best out of his available talent, he has proven that he can spot a bargain and make a quality buy.

He has proven that he DESERVES our faith in his abilities.

That is what I have 'reasoned' from everything he has done with Spurs and elsewhere.

Feel free, ANYONE, to prove me wrong.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Sep 30 2010, 19:26

SuneJim wrote:
    I'd also like to point out that i think Kevin Bond & Joe Jordon do a good job & a long with Harry make a very good team to carry on leading Spurs into new frontier's in the years to come.

The problem with that senario is Harry wants the england job in the future ie when capello quits in 2012 which is less than 2 years, and if harry does such a tremendous job dont you think he'll be in pole position for the job, he made no secret of his desire for the job, redkanpp is a decent manager and i could see him being offered the job, all if but's & maybe's atm but he would take jordan & bond with him, i do wonder though if clive allen is being somewhat groomed

Post by Guest Fri Oct 01 2010, 01:49

surley every manager has to have a time limit. so if you was the chairmen ion you would have kept with livermoor and clemence.

Noboday is sayin sack harry. but when our manager sayin he would take another job if offferd how do you think us spurs fans feel.

harry never showin loyalty to anyone
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Oct 01 2010, 23:28

Loughtonlegend wrote:surley every manager has to have a time limit. so if you was the chairmen ion you would have kept with livermoor and clemence.

Noboday is sayin sack harry. but when our manager sayin he would take another job if offferd how do you think us spurs fans feel.

harry never showin loyalty to anyone

You make me die sometimes Lought.

The 'meeja' are constantly looking for soundbites to make a mountain out of a molehill and this is no exception. This is how it goes;

Press: 'Harry, would you ever fancy the England job if it came up?'

Harry: 'Sure, who wouldn't? It would be a great honour to manage my country.'

Press Headline: 'Redknapp wants England job, says Capello isn't up to it and he would win the World Cup if he was in charge!'

Exclusive report once we've managed to put all the cardboard beer mats together into a story.

Capiche? You fall for it every time old boy. No wonder those parasites manage to make such a good living with the gullibility shown by the readers.

You have the same problem with Redknapp as you had with Jol .............. Neither of them is 'The Special One.'
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 01 2010, 23:48

Following on from Ion's comment s about Harry and the England job ....

Harry never said and he wanted the England job .... He's exact words were . 'If the England job were offered it would be hard to turn down'

Now , I might be wrong but I think most english football managers in the game would say similar ... ?

It seems to me the way some of our fellow Spurs go on is that Harry is pushing himself forward for the England post in all his interviews...

Due to his past record in management theres always been this fear in the minds of many of the Spurs faithfull that eventualy , Harry will walk out on us and stab us in the back ...

I wouldnt worry about it myself .. We're a top top club and a champions league club , we're not a Bournemouth, a Pompey or whatever ......Harry decides to walk we get another top bloke in ...Simples
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 00:41

ArnieArdiles wrote:Following on from Ion's comment s about Harry and the England job ....

Harry never said and he wanted the England job .... He's exact words were . 'If the England job were offered it would be hard to turn down'

Now , I might be wrong but I think most english football managers in the game would say similar ... ?

It seems to me the way some of our fellow Spurs go on is that Harry is pushing himself forward for the England post in all his interviews...

Due to his past record in management theres always been this fear in the minds of many of the Spurs faithfull that eventualy , Harry will walk out on us and stab us in the back ...

I wouldnt worry about it myself .. We're a top top club and a champions league club , we're not a Bournemouth, a Pompey or whatever ......Harry decides to walk we get another top bloke in ...Simples

To be honest Arnie, I can get quite worked up when, at the slightest hint of a dip in form, the same old comments about the manger are pulled right out of the closet and dusted off for the next round of attacks on the current incumbent. There's not a lot sets me off but that one always seems to teak the right buttons with me. Not only that, but the ready, even eager, will to believe the worst in our manager and players with the absolute flimsiest of evidence.

Scratch that, the will to believe the worst without a shred of evidence to back it up.

I think the reson it p*sses certain people off is because it is bang on the mark.

The irony here is that I wasn't actually having a shot at Lobo at all. Of late I've actually felt some of his comments have been spot on and I've repped him for them. I made a point of mentioning his Drogba comments because he is right, I just followed up with the observation that there just ain't that many of his type available, not finished product anyway. We can't afford the price tag nor the wage for the finished product.

I also knew that he was commenting tongue in cheek about giving Harry the gooner and, for once, hadn't included him as one of the 'usual suspects. But I suppose old grudges die hard.

It frustrates me to go over the same ground over and over again, which was why I brought up the comparison with the Jol saga. Let's face it, the similarities are frightening wouldn't you agree?

I was kind of hoping that the rant might have the doubters thinking and saying to themselves, ' Hey, he's got a point, we have been through this before', but I suppose it's too easy to pass those kind of comments over, when they come from me, as it's easier to get into a slanging match, it glosses over the relevant points made. Easier to avoid a question than answer it.

I have no problem with the criticism, God knows I've offered it myself when merited, but to question the abilities, and loyalties, of the manager and team after they've achieved so much over the last 18 months? It's ludicrous mate, absolutely staggering to me when the backup is 'meeja' bullsh*t and hearsay.

Give me a clue here mate. I've surmised that the only reason this occurs is because there are those out there who just don't 'fancy' Redknapp and want him out for their choice. That's the only reason I can fathom for turning on him the instant we're not hammering all comers. If it's wrong then please clue me up because I'm stumped otherwise.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Oct 02 2010, 00:48

ionman34 wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:Following on from Ion's comment s about Harry and the England job ....

The irony here is that I wasn't actually having a shot at Lobo at all. Of late I've actually felt some of his comments have been spot on and I've repped him for them.

thanks man cheers , ok clean the air time hear, i was having a laugh with the shiehk thread , but i was alittle pi**ed of with the results, next time i will give it a couple days before i make over the top threads lol
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 00:59

LOBO wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

The irony here is that I wasn't actually having a shot at Lobo at all. Of late I've actually felt some of his comments have been spot on and I've repped him for them.

thanks man cheers , ok clean the air time hear, i was having a laugh with the shiehk thread , but i was alittle pi**ed of

That makes two of us then Lobo. But I wasn't pi**ed off at you for the thread, a blind man could see you were having a bubble with that one, it's when it's used as a vehicle to take a shot at management and players that really gets to me, particularly when there's absolutely no reason or evidence for it.

I'm not one to jump on a thread just to say 'Yeah mate I totally agree', I'll rep you if I do or, if the post is particularly well written, I'll praise the post too. More often than not I'll answer a post if I disagree, you know how I love to argue a point.

No grudges ,I've never held them and I'll always give credit where credit is due. More than a few of your posts HAVE merited credit.

Hopefully you're coming to realise that I don't argue to belittle, I argue to try and make others to see what I see and believe. If I'm proven wrong then good on you, you've opened my eyes and educated me. I'll thank you for it, not detest you for it. All I ask is that my arguments are given the same consideration.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 02 2010, 01:05

I've always thought your arguments are well constructed and very thought provoking ion. I don't always agree but like you I am always there to be persuaded otherwise as has happened. I think there are some very good posters on here. I hope that will be reflected in the end of season best posters competition at the season's end Very Happy.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 01:16

BazSpur wrote:I've always thought your arguments are well constructed and very thought provoking ion. I don't always agree but like you I am always there to be persuaded otherwise as has happened. I think there are some very good posters on here. I hope that will be reflected in the end of season best posters competition at the season's end Very Happy.

Thank you mate and you are bang on, there are some terrific posters on here, all with their own unique insight. Not only that, there are some great personalities too, I'd not waste my time here if I thought otherwise.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat Oct 02 2010, 01:39

This season, Ion, Im way to proud of my club in what its attempting to achieve as to be put on a downer by Redknapps detractors ........

I somtimes think if only there were some kind of emotional time machine in use so that we could travel back and remember , jog the memory and senses so that we can recall how we all felt when we were in the lower regions of the league whilst our dodgy neighbour were contesting titles with Man Utd..

Ive said it before on this forum, that many of my extended family and friends are gooners and I know by the fear in their faces and the things they say, that we are at last doing things correctly .

At the moment we're again competing after so many years of being the whipping boys but for some it would seem , we should be going from being those whipping boys to being masters of the universe in one swoop!

This forum is fairly level headed about things and Harry, believe me Ion ....Get yourself on some other sites and see the responses to a Spurs set back to prove my point ....

I'd also like to say Harry was not my fave or first choice to replace Ramos as I were never overly keen on the bloke to be honest ..But up until a couple of years back I ran a buisness of my own and employed people ....Sometimes I found people I didnt paticualy like and get on with socialy, were exceptionaly good at the job I'd assigned them to do , far better at that job than someone I liked as a person, so who am I to promote to do the job? I think sometimes Harry rubs some of us the wrong way , myself included and I'd prefer it he kept some of his comments to himself but as long as he dont abandon the footballing principles of the club , has the players on his side , playing with a winning mentality ( is currently our 4th best manager ever on winning percentage stats ), he will have my support...

Harry , we're told , has his limitations and may well have taken us as far as he can but I dispute this as I feel he is continuously improving our game and our squad .. I actualy feel Enic and Levy in the summer, let him down a little by not giving him that marqee striker signing . I even joked a thread pre season, that if I were Joe Lewis the owner , I'd have thrown out my keep it to the book running of the club buisness principles and bought in a top striker ...

From where I'm sitting, we're not that far away .......coys !
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 02:11

ArnieArdiles wrote: This season, Ion, Im way to proud of my club in what its attempting to achieve as to be put on a downer by Redknapps detractors ........

Like I said, I can be touchy about that mate, in case you hadn't noticed! lol!

I somtimes think if only there were some kind of emotional time machine in use so that we could travel back and remember , jog the memory and senses so that we can recall how we all felt when we were in the lower regions of the league whilst our dodgy neighbour were contesting titles with Man Utd..

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing. Kleenex would do a roaring trade in North London and you wouldn't find a single kneeling pad in any Church in the area, after Spurs fans had nicked them all to kneel at Harry's feet offering worshipful thanks!

Well something like that anyway.

Ive said it before on this forum, that many of my extended family and friends are gooners and I know by the fear in their faces and the things they say, that we are at last doing things correctly .

At the moment we're again competing after so many years of being the whipping boys but for some it would seem , we should be going from being those whipping boys to being masters of the universe in one swoop!

And that's been happening ever since Jol took us to 4th. I can understand it, to a certain extent, as we've been starved of that kind of success for so long. Put a banquet in front of a starving man and he'll cram so much down his throat he won't taste any of it, but if he takes his time he'll enjoy it so much more and won't choke himself after the first few mouthfuls.

This forum is fairly level headed about things and Harry, believe me Ion ....Get yourself on some other sites and see the responses to a Spurs set back to prove my point ....

But that's what worries me mate. I know that this board is just a sampling of all the Spurs fans out there and it's these 'want it and want it now' types that keep us imploding on such a regular basis.

As you know I've been banging on about giving the team time to get where we want them to be, to ride out the lows so that we can come out all the better, and stronger, once we're past them. I don't expect to be able to make everyone see this but I'd hope that those on this board could see the reason behind my arguments.

I'd also like to say Harry was not my fave or first choice to replace Ramos as I were never overly keen on the bloke to be honest ..But up until a couple of years back I ran a buisness of my own and employed people ....Sometimes I found people I didnt paticualy like and get on with socialy, were exceptionaly good at the job I'd assigned them to do , far better at that job than someone I liked as a person, so who am I to promote to do the job? I think sometimes Harry rubs some of us the wrong way , myself included and I'd prefer it he kept some of his comments to himself but as long as he dont abandon the footballing principles of the club , has the players on his side , playing with a winning mentality ( is currently our 4th best manager ever on winning percentage stats ), he will have my support...

Nail right on the head Arnie. I couldn't care less if he's a detestable man if he makes us a successful team playing our brand of Football. So far, Harry is ticking all the boxes IMO.
    I actually like him, but that has no bearing on my assessment of his ability or faith in him taking us to the Promised land.

Harry , we're told , has his limitations and may well have taken us as far as he can but I dispute this as I feel he is continuously improving our game and our squad

Said that myself on another thread. He's consistently taken us one step further. If we have a stumble then that doesn't mean that we won't then take further strides. He's earned the right to be given the opportunity to prove that in my eyes.

.. I actualy feel Enic and Levy in the summer, let him down a little by not giving him that marqee striker signing . I even joked a thread pre season, that if I were Joe Lewis the owner , I'd have thrown out my keep it to the book running of the club buisness principles and bought in a top striker ...

I can see that Arnie, but I can also see the long term damage such a signing would do if the wages exceeded our top earners. It's a thin line the board are treading so I'm prepared to let them do it their way, for the long term benefit of the club as a whole.

From where I'm sitting, we're not that far away .......coys !

We can both see it mate, it's in touching distance and, as such, requires patience and faith from us the fans.

A little luck wouldn't go amiss either.............. We're long overdue.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 02 2010, 02:23

honest answer please can harry and spurs win the title in 3 years.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 02:25

Abso-fcuking-lutely!!
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 02 2010, 02:27

ok i wait 3 years, then i will start moaning lol. no you are very right aslong as we are moving forward we should all get behind harry.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Oct 02 2010, 02:42

YID FROM DAV wrote:ok i wait 3 years, then i will start moaning lol. no you are very right aslong as we are moving forward we should all get behind harry.

Mate, if we're not there or thereabouts in three years, under Harry, you won't be alone. That'll give him 5 years in charge and if he can't do it then, with where we are now, then he never will.

But he MUST be given that time.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 02 2010, 06:12

YID FROM DAV wrote:honest answer please can harry and spurs win the title in 3 years.

YES . . . . . ..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 09:46