The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Match Thread Vs FC Twente

Match Thread Vs FC Twente - Page 2 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs FC Twente

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:48

FC Copenhagen would be preferable to Valencia Lought . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:51

yep that would be nice. cant wait for the draw friday. just need to find a stream as i dont have sky

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 09:59

It may well be on the BBC or ITV (most likely) websites so they will probably have streams & it may be on 5live radio . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 10:07

i dont like 5live. but i want to see the balls get picked live.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08 2010, 10:07

i think i just set myself up there lol
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Dec 08 2010, 18:15

Well it was quite a specticle for the neutral, i tell you what i wont see past 40 watching Spurs, LOL, But what a night topping in what i thought was the hardest group of the lot, in there with the Dutch champions, the German champions and the Italian and reigning European champions, the bookies had us down to finish bottom of the group and i aint that offten they get it so wrong. But overall i think we deserved to top that group for the way we play throughout the group stage, i think Defoe summed it up in his post match interview " we worked so hard for this last season we werent going to waste this opportunity!" As for the match i did feel a bit sorry for the keeper the way our 1st goal came about, feel even more sorry for Jenas when he had to go off he has looked damned good of late, Lennon is getting his sharpness back and that pass to Defoe for his 1st goal was Class! Bassong was solid along with Gallas, Ekkoto am starting to lose patience with to be honest, loses possession to offten, always looking for the Hollywood ball over the top and is some what erratic in his defending the pen i DONT blame him for but if your arm goes up its always going to be given!. Gomes did ok bar a few nervy moments with balls coming into the box. Defoe was quiet and did more arm waving than anthing else till his 1st went in after the break then he got more involved, Pav tried to make thing happen running the channels and coming deep to link up the play and his shot in the 1st half was a corker, Corluka didnt really put a foot, wrong, Bale wasnt at his brilliant best had 2 on him for the majority of the game but still got to that touch line about half a dozen times. So its save to say am over te moon, were through as group winners and bring on the rest of Europe1 santa
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed Dec 08 2010, 21:31

As a neutral I did enjoy it, really open game, some questionable defending at both ends, the worst keeping error since Robbo in Zagreb and fair play to Twente who stuck at it and were on the front foot even at the end - referee was an absolute w****** all night but at least neither side could accuse him of bias

I heard the commentary say that Werder Bremen were the German Champions by the way - as a matter of extreme pedentary they were not - they finished behind Bayern and Schalke in third
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Dec 08 2010, 21:55

I have to say, it was the worst ref performance I have EVER seen diabolical.
    Two things I was not happy about
    Ekotto was his usual weve already won this tie attitude, made no effort for their 2nd goal, great header though it was, completley went to sleep and didnt seem to care,
    shocking distribution all night, but no doubt will play a blinder on Sunday against the Chavs, when is he going to learn that he has to put a shift in, no matter who we play
    Corluka, i really like this bloke, but this should end the argument about who our regular right back should be, he is so slow and their left winger had him for pace all night, Hutton is much better suited to the way we play.
    Other then that, job done
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Dec 08 2010, 22:07

Great game for the neutral and as Nic says some questionable defending by both teams but am I happy? Yes of course as we will avoid the so called big boys in the next round which I understand is in March. Which gives us time to get all our injured players back and will now let Arry concentrate on the Prem title. Wink
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Dec 08 2010, 22:14

High scoring game maybe but I actualy thought the game was of poor quality .......
    We retain the ball in that manner in the next round and we will get a tonking .. It really annoys me to see our two central midfield players prefer to pass it to a heavily marked Defoe or Pav 30 yards away rather than give the simple pass, thus losing possesion... We were doing this, when we were winning 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 ...Whenever Twente upped their pressing when we had the ball, we didnt show keep ball confidence .. Kranjcar in the middle and when Keane came on , I felt had us improve a little that side of our game ..

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09 2010, 08:45

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp vowed not to curtail his side's attacking intent after they produced another thriller to finish top of Champions League Group A.

Spurs drew 3-3 with FC Twente and have now netted 18 goals, more than any other team in the competition.

"We look to score and attack teams at every opportunity," said Redknapp, whose team will avoid most of Europe's biggest clubs in the last 16.

"We've got people who can hurt teams, that's how we've approached the games."

Tottenham qualified for the knockout stage as pool winners on 11 points; one clear of Inter Milan, who lost 3-0 to Werder Bremen.

It means the north Londoners will avoid the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich in the draw on Friday 17 December.

Ahead of the match, Redknapp recalled how Tottenham stumbled through a two-legged play-off against Young Boys just to reach the competition proper.

Their campaign started with a 2-2 draw in Bremen before Twente were dispatched 4-1 at White Hart Lane.

Redknapp's men were then edged out 4-3 by Inter but beat the European champions 3-1 at home and saw off Bremen 3-0.

Tuesday's stalemate with Dutch champions Twente ensured Spurs became the first team in Champions League history to score two or more goals in all six group games.

"We've gone for it, we have a go," stated Redknapp. "At the end of the day, we've finished top of the group. You can't say 'well, they've conceded goals'; we've scored more goals than anybody.

"If you want us to shut up shop, we can do that and come away and be difficult to beat and stick five across the midfield. But we don't; we come away and have a go."

Asked if his philosophy was similar to that of two-time European champions Barcelona, Redknapp replied: "I don't know if we can play like them but that would be nice."

Tottenham are competing in the Champions League for the first time and this is their first crack at Europe's elite club competition since 1961-62.

Many questioned whether they had it in them to emerge from a group that included Inter, Werder and Twente - but their answer has been emphatic, with many unforgettable moments along the way.

"It's a great achievement from the players to finish top of what for me was the most difficult group of the lot," suggested Redknapp.

"We've had a team near the top of the Dutch league, Werder Bremen, who are a good side with lots of good players, and the holders Inter Milan. I think it was the toughest group and to top it is brilliant.

"You want to win all your games, so we wanted to win here - but it's important to finish top of the group and we've done that, so I'm proud of the boys.

"We've got a good squad of players. We'll give anybody a game, for sure."

Tottenham opened the scoring through a calamitous Peter Wisgerhof own goal but were pegged back by a twice-taken Denny Landzaat penalty.

Jermain Defoe drove Spurs back in front, only to see his strike cancelled out by a Roberto Rosales header.

After Defoe tapped in his second, Nacer Chadli secured a point for Twente with an excellent free-kick.

"It wasn't as if I could complain about the goals we conceded," added Redknapp. "One goal came in open play for them. Overall, I'm delighted."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 11:41