The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
ionman34
cstmrsking
wobberler
7 posters

Match Thread Vs Blackpool

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Match Thread Vs Blackpool - Page 3 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Blackpool

Post by BazSpur Sun May 08 2011, 05:54

That ref was an absolute disgrace today. no control.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Sun May 08 2011, 06:47

I Blame, Wobbler.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun May 08 2011, 07:19

just got back from match, hope arnies bit about lennon being sold is not right cos until he came on we were useless.

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 07:21

And to be honest Shear, we weren't a great deal better after he came on . . . . .

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 07:22

BazSpur wrote:Lol, you have a quaint way of saying things Vis PMSL.

LOL Baz, the English langauge is a tool that should be polished as often as you can . . . . .

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 07:23

cstmrsking wrote:
    I Blame, Wobbler.

LOL Kingy, how can you blame Wobbler ? We didn't lose so his 100% record remains intact . . . . .

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 07:24

I'm right p*ssed off about this one tonight guys. Perfect oppotuinity to close the gap on Citeh and we blew it yet again . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun May 08 2011, 07:36

yeah , before the game their was a real buzz around the ground as we heard the everton score coming through. makes you wonder if the players felt the same as us cos it didnt look it until blackpool scored then we went for it , to late.

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2011, 07:41

It makes me wonder Shear if knowing the Citeh result was a handicap ? It almost seemed as though the team felt that just waliking onto the pitch was enough to get the result. . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 08 2011, 10:56

No top 4 now. No 5th place either if we carry on f*cking up.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun May 08 2011, 11:02

If we lose our next two away games ( Citeh & Pool ) which is possible and then dont beat Brum in the final game I think its possible Levy will get twitchy , more so if the manager he had in mind as Harry's replacement becomes available in the summer ...
    wobberler
    wobberler
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by wobberler Tue May 10 2011, 07:58

sorry lads, well we did nt loose, and if any body wants to by me a season ticket, cheers, also a donation for my flights would be nice, lol,, coys

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 08:13

Wobbs your 100% no-lose record still stands mate . . . . . .

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 08:41

A late 25-yard strike from Jermain Defoe earned Tottenham a point against Blackpool after the hosts had conceded two second-half penalties in a minute.

Charlie Adam converted a 76th-minute spot-kick after Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes had fouled Gary Taylor-Fletcher.

Gomes had saved a penalty moments earlier from the same player after Michael Dawson handled in the area.

But Defoe struck powerfully past Matthew Gilks in the 89th minute to level a dramatic encounter.

However, Tottenham could be without inspirational winger Gareth Bale for their remaining games - at Manchester City on Tuesday, at Liverpool on 15 May and at home to Birmingham on 22 May - after the Wales international left the pitch on a stretcher with an ankle injury following a rash Adam challenge.

The result will frustrate the north Londoners, whose prospects of qualifying for the fourth and final Champions League place look increasingly bleak ahead of Tuesday's trip to Eastlands - City effectively need a point to deny Spurs a second successive top-four finish.

Tottenham, who have only won once in nine Premier League matches, were once again profligate in front of goal with Rafael Van der Vaart, Bale and Luka Modric all spurning excellent chances, especially in the early stages of the second half.

However, the result gives Blackpool fresh impetus in their quest to maintain their Premier League status with games at home to Bolton next Saturday and away to Manchester United on the final day of the campaign remaining.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp made two changes to the team that controversially lost to Chelsea, with Danny Rose making his first appearance in a Tottenham shirt in over a year at left-back, while Defoe replaced Aaron Lennon, who was dropped to the bench.

A lively first half saw both sides create good chances, but neither could produce a deft finish in front of goal as opportunities were squandered.

A thumping left-footed volley by Adam was brilliantly saved by Gomes in the 24th minute, while a Van der Vaart pass dissected Blackpool's back four and found Defoe, but the striker's run was a fraction too early as he was rightly adjudged offside before rifling the ball into the back of the net.

The hosts dominated the opening exchanges of the second half as the introduction of Lennon, on for the redundant Roman Pavlyuchenko, allowed Redknapp's men to play the kind of expansive game which enthralled fans at the start of the season.

England winger Lennon's pace opened up Blackpool's defence, but numerous opportunities could not be converted as the crowd's impatience began to show.

Gomes made yet another excellent save, this time to deny DJ Campbell from eight yards after good work from David Vaughan sent the striker through.

Bale's withdrawal increased the home faithful's worries - further exacerbated when Dawson was adjudged to have handled an Adam corner in the 75th minute.

But the Scotland midfielder's low strike was brilliantly saved by Gomes, diving to his left - only for the Brazilian keeper to concede a thoroughly needless penalty less than 60 seconds later when he chased a bobbling ball through a throng of players inside his own box.

Referee Lee Probert deemed that Gomes had obstructed Taylor-Fletcher and Adam stepped up and hammered his second penalty into the top-left corner.

But Defoe grabbed a late equaliser for Spurs when he collected the ball 30 yards out before unleashing an unstoppable drive into the bottom right corner for only his fourth goal of the Premier League campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp:
    "We needed a win today, anything else was no good for us. We have drawn too many games - we haven't been able to kill teams off.

"We haven't been as good as we were a couple of months ago when we were beating teams instead of drawing so many games.

"Whether it's because we have gone flat after the Champions League run. It just wasn't meant to be today."

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway:
    "Jermain [Defoe] could have broken our hearts but we kept going, I couldn't have asked for more from the lads.

"Two points extra would have been nice but it will go to the wire, we look like a team who could win a game at at this level and we nearly did.

"Today has given me massive hope for the future, we don't want to relinquish this position at this level and we've come to a big side and taken four points almost six off them."

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue May 10 2011, 16:10

After having seen the game, and read many of the reports, yes we were relatively poor against Blackpool. Two things troubled me through this game, again we had enough clear cut chances to have absolutely buried them. Fair enough, they had chances too but, in the opening encounters, if we'd managed to finish just half of our chances then I think the floodgates would have opened. But that's all speculation and leads us directly back to the point that has been the focal subject matter on this board for most of the season, our inability to convert chances at an acceptable ratio.

And I hold to my assertion here that it is because our strikers have been bobbins this season and need to be moved on, at least most of them anyway. Insert name really for who you think should be shipped out because there's a very good case for each and every one of them.

The second thing that troubled me was our shape at the back, or should I say complete lack of? Early doors this season we were shipping goals but, even with that happening, we still retained an acceptable shape that, if it went a little awry, was soon regained when the midfield tracked back.

I didn't really see too much of that against Blackpool and that is a concern, particularly in light of the fact that 3 points would have put massive pressure on Citeh for our game against them. The ref might have scotched us against Chelsea but we f*cked ourselves up against Blackpool, and the manner in which we did it is, for me, totally unacceptable.

In that game, we were still in with a very realistic shout for CL. 3 points, and 3 against Citeh, and I reckon we'd have seen them cave in the run in. It would have set us up nicely for the Scouse then too. But I got the impression that the towel had been thrown in already and that has me seething really.

The attitude of the players I lay directly at the feet of the manager. Man management, as well as tactics, team selection and coaching, is what he is paid very handsomely for. He came up short on Saturday big time. Okay, I can accept that this will happen every now and again in a season, but in the run in? With CL on the line?

I've been very supportive of Redknapp and will remain so for the foreseeable, as I still think we have advanced from where we were and, with a few additions, can launch a realistic assault on the title. But I too have my concerns, the above being the main ones. Vis has stated that this closed season is pivotal and I agree 100%. Bringing in the right players shows everyone, players, fans and shareholders alike, that we are mounting a serious challenge and that whatever the Scouse or Mancs want to do, we can match them. Pool and Citeh can't buy everyone. They already have an embarrassment of riches in the areas we need to strengthen so I believe that if we identify good striking targets, then there are few EPL teams that can seriously threaten us, the goons being one and maybe the Toon with their outrageous wages.

I suspect that we won't see too much of the change up front that most of us feel is necessary. I can't see Defoe going whilst Crouch, I reckon, is 50/50. Keane and Pav, I believe, will go. TBH, I won't be sorry either. Pav has been given plenty of chances, in this latter part of the season, to prove Harry wrong and he's fluffed his lines. Keane is past it end of. Whether we keep Crouch and Defoe remains to be seen. I can live with it if we bring in 2 quality strikers. I'd prefer to see 2 quality, one experienced, and yes I do mean someone like Drogba, and one youngster given a shout. Arnie's 4 would suit me right down to the ground in all honesty, particularly if we get Falcao. But I'd be happy with Falcao and someone like Moussa Sow. Now I won't pretend that I know this bloke inside out but his stats for Lille are impressive, 21 goals from 32 games this season and they have not come in gluts, they're pretty widespread so he has been consistent throughout the season. His conversion rate is around 1 in 4 too (25%) which is pretty good. He's only contracted until 2013 so his price won't be astronomical and he's 25 years old. The Toon and Sunderland are looking at him too but, realistically, our status should be a better draw.

Kevin Gameiro is another with stats to die for. His last 3 seasons with Lorient have seen him top 30 goals per season. Rumours are that the Toon, the goons and us are interested in him. If/when he does move my money would be on him going to the goons but if we were able to hijack that move it would go some way towards signalling our intent and our status.

Really all we need to do is show him footage of how often the goons and Toon choke and he's in the bag! lol!

There are many good available strikers out there, all young and all worth a gamble. Liverpool have shown that you need to be bold in the market to maintain league status. Now this doesn't mean that we lose our heads and spend like it's burning a hole in our pockets, but what it does mean is that we take a punt, like we did with Luca, and drum up some interest in our fringe players. I've seen the wishful thinking comments of 'all we have to do is sell off so and so for X and whatsisname for blah then, hey presto, we have these new players covered.'

Hello! You can't sell if no one is interested in buying can you? The interest has to be there so it's on the management to drum that interest up. How they do it I don't know but do it they must.

Maybe we can rob the Northern Monkeys then offer them Pav, at a discount rate, to appease them. Let them have Jenas for 4-5 mill as a sweetener? Sunderland that is, can't see the Toon taking to him again can you?

Post by Guest Tue May 10 2011, 16:45

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:Start for Danny Rose & Bale to Left-back . . . . .

Well I have to say Im shocked ..

Lennon is gonna be sold in the summer ...you heard it here first .... silent

LOL I shall be making a note of this Arnie . . . . .
    is it still glen johnson and cappellos fault that he aint playin well. lol

Please do Vis lol ...My sources cyclops tell me all is not well between Harry & Azza ........

Apparently he cant give up the cigars , Harry has had the hump with him regarding his attitude, like the one where Harry having made his three substitutions, Azza then limps off with just over ten minutes to go leaving us down to 10 players and we lose the game too ....

And then there is the Madrid scapegoat ....

And then there is Damien Comoli at Liverpool ..

Hope Im wrong about this but its the whisper at the Lodge thats getting louder jocolor

Oh and the Hulk is gonna be his replacement
    study

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06 2024, 13:56