The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Aitch and the Rolling Deal EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Aitch and the Rolling Deal Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
Boltjean
ArnieArdiles
LOBO
shearspur
BazSpur
djfitzo
ionman34
11 posters

Aitch and the Rolling Deal

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Aitch and the Rolling Deal Empty Aitch and the Rolling Deal

Post by ionman34 Tue May 29 2012, 18:23

As I stated in another post, it appears that Aitch has been offered a 1 year rolling deal by DL. It appears he is unhappy about this but, beyond that, no one knows anything further.

I have also read that Brendan Rodgers has met with Tottenham (who I don't know) and was shown around the ground, the training complex then taken to lunch.

Now whilst many will believe that's curtains for Harry, I have another theory..............

HR is now moving into his final year of his current contract and, from the noises I'm hearing, is being held accountable for our poor showing after Christmas. Reports are that the board believe we could have done much better but fell away due to HR taking his eye off the ball so to speak. This is nothing new to the majority of us because, whether you agree with it or not, this type of talk has been doing the rounds since probably March.

Cue Brendan Rodgers. A man who appears to learn from his mistakes as well as his triumphs, particularly his own admission that he felt he left Watford too early and is trying hard to dispell this 'unloyal' tag he received as a result. Rodgers has ambition though to go along with an excellent philosophy as well as a drive demonstrated by his willingness to spend his Summer in Spain working with the Spanish national side.

But both the board and he probably have some reservations, based on the track records of previous managers whose star shone bright for a season before fading rapidly, so my theory is that he has been sounded out to take over when HR's contract comes to an end. DL is currently out trying to buy players and, allegedly, HR has no say whatsoever in whom they are buying. Young, talented, technically gifted and speedy players seem to be the order here. Players that HR can still work well with but who would fit nicely into the Rodgers ethos.

The board can't really sack Redknapp, he's finished in CL positions 2 out of 3 seasons, but they can run his contract down to allow someone like Rodgers to step in and, hopefully, improve on what we have with the coaching that is so evident in the Swansea team. It also gives Aitch a full year to set himself up in whatever project he wants to take on next, he's certainly not short of offers with an Asian and UAE offer that was, and I quote, 'mind boggling.'

It is all just speculation on my part but it's something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Aitch and the Rolling Deal Empty Re: Aitch and the Rolling Deal

Post by djfitzo Tue May 29 2012, 19:42

ionman34 wrote:As I stated in another post, it appears that Aitch has been offered a 1 year rolling deal by DL. It appears he is unhappy about this but, beyond that, no one knows anything further.

I have also read that Brendan Rodgers has met with Tottenham (who I don't know) and was shown around the ground, the training complex then taken to lunch.

Now whilst many will believe that's curtains for Harry, I have another theory..............

HR is now moving into his final year of his current contract and, from the noises I'm hearing, is being held accountable for our poor showing after Christmas. Reports are that the board believe we could have done much better but fell away due to HR taking his eye off the ball so to speak. This is nothing new to the majority of us because, whether you agree with it or not, this type of talk has been doing the rounds since probably March.

Cue Brendan Rodgers. A man who appears to learn from his mistakes as well as his triumphs, particularly his own admission that he felt he left Watford too early and is trying hard to dispell this 'unloyal' tag he received as a result. Rodgers has ambition though to go along with an excellent philosophy as well as a drive demonstrated by his willingness to spend his Summer in Spain working with the Spanish national side.

But both the board and he probably have some reservations, based on the track records of previous managers whose star shone bright for a season before fading rapidly, so my theory is that he has been sounded out to take over when HR's contract comes to an end. DL is currently out trying to buy players and, allegedly, HR has no say whatsoever in whom they are buying. Young, talented, technically gifted and speedy players seem to be the order here. Players that HR can still work well with but who would fit nicely into the Rodgers ethos.

The board can't really sack Redknapp, he's finished in CL positions 2 out of 3 seasons, but they can run his contract down to allow someone like Rodgers to step in and, hopefully, improve on what we have with the coaching that is so evident in the Swansea team. It also gives Aitch a full year to set himself up in whatever project he wants to take on next, he's certainly not short of offers with an Asian and UAE offer that was, and I quote, 'mind boggling.'

It is all just speculation on my part but it's something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

Seems to make sense and why Rodgers seems so adamant not to speak to Liverpool or anyone else for that matter. My only fear is if Swansea have a diabolical second season, what then?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue May 29 2012, 20:03

I agree with Dave. Although Rodgers had a fantastic season with Swansea and seems to fit in with what us Spurs fans want in a manager in as much as he gets his teams playing to feet with fast attacking football, we know that the second season in the Prem will really show what he is made of. The first season in the Prem promoted teams seem to have that adrenaline rush. If he has another great season then he could be the manager we have been looking for, for so long. As for Arry, it makes sense that Levy would give him a rolling contract and due to Arry apparently turning down the offer of an extended contract when Capello walked I don't think you can blame DL for taking the stance he is taking now. Seems odds on to me that this will be Arry's last season with us. Let's hope he goes out in a blaze of glory.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue May 29 2012, 20:28

Trouble is he could be nasty, upset players,derail the whole season just to get back at dl ,if he feels sh*t upon. Risky strategy I think
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue May 29 2012, 20:39

BazSpur wrote:I agree with Dave. Although Rodgers had a fantastic season with Swansea and seems to fit in with what us Spurs fans want in a manager in as much as he gets his teams playing to feet with fast attacking football, we know that the second season in the Prem will really show what he is made of. The first season in the Prem promoted teams seem to have that adrenaline rush. If he has another great season then he could be the manager we have been looking for, for so long. As for Arry, it makes sense that Levy would give him a rolling contract and due to Arry apparently turning down the offer of an extended contract when Capello walked I don't think you can blame DL for taking the stance he is taking now. Seems odds on to me that this will be Arry's last season with us. Let's hope he goes out in a blaze of glory.

Just concerned Baz that if Ions post is correct, we get half way through the season and Swansea drop like a stone, it does not leave us much time for an alternative.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue May 29 2012, 21:22

True Dave but knowing Levy he will have more than one iron in the fire. I still think Moyes and AVB are still in the frame and possibly Martinez depending on who Liverpool finally go for..
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed May 30 2012, 00:04

Oh dear another year of redknapp licking the media band wagon, only this time there is no end game , he can't walk he wont get a penny, levy wont renew his contract , and Levy wont sack him , cos he knows he will have to pay out , hmm

Rodgers has done nothing imo to suggest he is even worthy of being the next Spurs manager , I'd rather have redknapp in all honesty , Rodgers would be a massive gamble , we need a big big manager who has seen it all , someone that if they do well don't want to feck off to bigger things because as the theory goes they have been there, seen it and done it all before , someone still young enough to build a legacy for the future
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed May 30 2012, 00:12

LOBO wrote:Oh dear another year of redknapp licking the media band wagon, only this time there is no end game , he can't walk he wont get a penny, levy wont renew his contract , and Levy wont sack him , cos he knows he will have to pay out , hmm

Rodgers has done nothing imo to suggest he is even worthy of being the next Spurs manager , I'd rather have redknapp in all honesty , Rodgers would be a massive gamble , we need a big big manager who has seen it all , someone that if they do well don't want to feck off to bigger things because as the theory goes they have been there, seen it and done it all before , someone still young enough to build a legacy for the future

Trouble is Lobo, I cant think of anyone available that fits that bill

Post by Guest Wed May 30 2012, 02:07

Rodgers cuts short holiday to go talk to someone
    im hearing its liverpool.
    so much for him showing loyalty.

although why would he wait around a year hoping spurs fail because if we finnish 3rd or higher then we wont get rid of harry

also what if swansea have another good season and play the right way. then he can take hes pic at most jobs in the prem
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed May 30 2012, 02:12

shearspur wrote:Trouble is he could be nasty, upset players,derail the whole season just to get back at dl ,if he feels sh*t upon. Risky strategy I think

Agree with Shear... Harry on a contract he don't want to be on is a recipe for disaster .

Levy has to back or sack him.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed May 30 2012, 02:15

djfitzo wrote:
    LOBO wrote:Oh dear another year of redknapp licking the media band wagon, only this time there is no end game , he can't walk he wont get a penny, levy wont renew his contract , and Levy wont sack him , cos he knows he will have to pay out , hmm

I think Rodgers would do us proud but I'm thinking Levy is thinking similar to what Lobo is thinking .

Someone young who's won a few pots ... Andre Villas Boas ?
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed May 30 2012, 02:41

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:

I think Rodgers would do us proud but I'm thinking Levy is thinking similar to what Lobo is thinking .

Someone young who's won a few pots ... Andre Villas Boas ?

BOttom line is arry was ready to dump us , arry drew the line , and crossed it, levy i think will run the contract down or sack him eventually which i doubt he will .

Boas hmm dont know , Ive always been a big fan of home grown managers , I would love to see pardew in all honesty , someone that is 100% fully committed to the cause, like him or not he is the perfect age, ok hasn't won anything , but like DJ said who is there atm

Post by Guest Wed May 30 2012, 04:12

its stupid keeping him here for another season if levy wont back him.

get him out now. lobo was right he would of dumped us for england
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed May 30 2012, 04:42

Personally I'm not convinced by Pardew. Yes, he had a good season with Newcastle but 1 good season doesn't make him a great manager. See if he gets found out next season then we can make a judgement on him.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Wed May 30 2012, 06:28

I agree with Shear, Harry could turn funny if he feels that he could be out the door in 2013. In all honesty, who can blame Levy, Harry is his own worst enemy, or should I say his mouth is. All the England talk, all the negativity about us punching above our weight, never we are up there with the best, this club will be back at the top where it belongs, no, finishing fourth to Harry is like winning the premiership, he seems to look on that as success, well I want to see trophies at Spurs and untill they start giving them for finishing 4th then I am sorry Harry I am not happy with fourth. As for Rogers, it does sound like Liverpool are sounding him out, they do seem to be having a fight on there hands trying to get someone, a few years ago managers would have jumped at the chance to join them. Anyway, he would not be my choice, I feel it would be another Harry scenario, Harry did ok with Bournemouth, Portsmouth and West Ham, and I feel he has taken us as far as he can, Rogers has done well with Swansea but is he ready for a big club, I do not think so, neither us or Liverpool.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed May 30 2012, 06:54

@ Ion and your 1st post.
    Mate should your ITK be correct I always have reservations on players being bought for a manager to work with regardlessof if they want them or not. Using Chelski as an example think Chavchenko? If the guy is "bossing" the team then he needs players he likes, trusts and can work with. Redknapp may wish Rio Fredinand in defence rather then who Levy is trying to sign? Maybe Hesky upfront? If Levy & the board don't trust Redknapp then they should bring in a "manager" they do . . . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed May 30 2012, 07:35

I think it may be to do with how much the club would have to pay Arry if they ended his contract Vis. Arry's contract is up at the end of this season therefore no compensation to pay.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed May 30 2012, 08:08

So why were the stories about Levy demanding £12 million compensation from the FA for Arry joining England ?

Given the nine managers you have got through in the twelve years since Levy was foisted on you by ENIC does it occur to you to think it might not just be the manager who needs a change

I vaguely recall Levy's plan was for a new stadium - him being a master businessman

2005 that started as I recall - slightly before AFC moved into the Emirates

How is the stadium project Ion ? Very Happy
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed May 30 2012, 08:15

Pay him a kings ransom if needs be, well 20 weeks max redundency like every else gets ! Rather that then a "manager" who has no desire to lead Spurs forward . . . . .. .
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed May 30 2012, 08:29

Tottenham Hotspur have identified former Chelsea boss Andre
    Villas-Boas as a potential replacement for manager Harry Redknapp.

Full story: Caught offside

Tottenham Hotspur have identified former Chelsea boss Andre
    Villas-Boas as a potential replacement for manager Harry Redknapp and
    may move for the Portugese this summer. Villas-Boas, who was sacked by
    Chelsea in March, has been highly recommended to Spurs’ Chairman Daniel
    Levy by Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho.
    Levy’s relationship with
    Redknapp has become strained after Spurs blew a ten point lead over
    North London rivals Arsenal to finish fourth and ultimately missed out
    on a place in the Champions League, after sixth-placed Chelsea claimed
    the crown in Munich. It is the second time in as many seasons that
    Spurs’ form has plummeted after Christmas, with this season’s rut
    coinciding with mass media speculation linking Redknapp with the vacant
    England manager’s job. Although Redknapp denies it was a distraction, he
    has conceded that others at the club felt he took his eye off the ball,
    with Levy believed to be among them.
    Redknapp, who has one year
    remaining on his current deal, was offered a new contract at the height
    of the England speculation but, with Levy increasingly concerned about
    the 65-year-old’s priorities, the offer has since been withdrawn.
    It is thought Levy would like to appoint a young manager under a director of football
    – a system he favours but was forced to scrap after the sacking of
    Juande Ramos – and the Chairman regards Villas-Boas as the ideal
    candidate. Spurs feel the 34-year-old was not given long enough at
    Stamford Bridge, where senior players pining for Mourinho undermined his
    regime. Levy is also an admirer of Swansea’s Brendan Rogers and Wigan’s
    Roberto Martinez but feels both lack experience of European football
    and may struggle under the pressure of challenging for a top four place.
    Levy
    is, however, reluctant to sack Redknapp particularly as Spurs recovered
    sufficiently to achieve their pre-season aim of a place in the top four
    and may wait until next summer when Redknapp can walk away without
    compensation. Villas-Boas, meanwhile, is eager to remain in England and
    would welcome the chance to discuss a long-term project with Spurs.
    peader50
    peader50
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by peader50 Wed May 30 2012, 10:39

gonna throw this name in for discussion if rodgers and martinez are being mentioned here especially martinez whats he done only constantly save wigan from the bottom 3 i dont want that i therefore think chris hughton deserves a mention a real tottenham man honest and not a media puppet like HR he did the spade work for pardew at newcastle and got some great results in the championship despite being in the europa lge

Post by Guest Wed May 30 2012, 11:00

bang on about martiniaz. hes been at wigan a long long time yet rodgers has done more with a lesser sqaud in short space of time

as for chris nooo thanks
    he was at spurs for so many years and he was a yes man and our defence was woefull there.

only thing i liked about him was hes hugs with jol lol
    peader50
    peader50
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by peader50 Wed May 30 2012, 21:14

Loughtonlegend wrote:bang on about martiniaz. hes been at wigan a long long time yet rodgers has done more with a lesser sqaud in short space of time

as for chris nooo thanks
    he was at spurs for so many years and he was a yes man and our defence was woefull there.

only thing i liked about him was hes hugs with jol lol
    i see your point loughton but remember that was 5 or 6 years ago and since then hes become a manager in his own right you could see the way he conducted himself at newcastle that he has matured into a very good young manager yeah maybe its to soon for him but hes one for the future in my humble opinion
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed May 30 2012, 21:43

BazSpur wrote:Personally I'm not convinced by Pardew. Yes, he had a good season with Newcastle but 1 good season doesn't make him a great manager. See if he gets found out next season then we can make a judgement on him.

I think your wrong Baz .when redknapp joined us he had never mnagaed a team at the top end or even took a team into the top 4 before he came to spurs , yea he won the FA cup with portsmouth , but they were alway relegation candidates.

I think at Tottenham we have the infrastructure already in place and all it needed was a half decent captain to steady the ship , imagine what Pardew could do with Levy's backing , I think he has proved he know's the english game and can take an average team and turn them into CL prospects, I think with THFC he would make a Brilliant manager , and we don't have to like him either.

Its ok getting in a big name foreign manager , but I believe we need someone who can talk to the players , someone who can get his theory across to the players , god help us if we get Cappello , it will be like Ramos all over again .

Quote from pardew when linked to the england job, this is what I like about him, he a straight talking thinking manager .

Alan Pardew has ruled himself out of the race to succeed Fabio Capello as England boss.
    The 50-year-old Newcastle manager was installed as third favourite behind Tottenham counterpart Harry Redknapp following the Italian's resignation.
    However, when asked about the speculation, he said: 'Firstly as an Englishman, I am proud to be in that sort of frame, but it's not for me and I will make that quite clear. I am not even in the running as far as I am concerned.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu May 31 2012, 02:56

Well Rodgers is out of the equation, just signed for Pool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 00:39