The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
WALNUT - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

WALNUT - Page 3 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
MarkA249
BazSpur
spurslegend
7 posters

WALNUT

WALNUT - Page 3 Empty Re: WALNUT

Post by Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 09:55

12 NOT inc merida WALNUT - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Post by Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 18:35

lol, mark keeps answering the question, but then the question changes, eastmond,wilshire,walcott,campbell, gibbs,watts,gilbert,hoyte,simpson and a few more have PLAYED FIRST TEAM, this kicks your 10% ratio clean into touch vis and baz, you keep saying they aint first team, but they are or they wouldn of played, a first team aint made up of just 11 players now is it. eg warnock has gone to the world cup and probably wont get a game, is he a part of englands team squad or is he not, answers on a post card please.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jun 03 2010, 20:00

eastmond,wilshire,walcott,campbell, gibbs,watts,gilbert,hoyte,simpson and a few more have PLAYED FIRST TEAM, this kicks your 10% ratio clean into touch vis and baz

I think what we are saying Burger is that they may have played in the first team, but how many games? its only because of injuries thats forced Wenger into playing them as he literally has no-one else, maybe, as many Arsenal fans have commented, he should have bought decent back up in the transfer windows.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 20:30

djfitzo wrote: maybe, as many Arsenal fans have commented, he (AW) should have bought decent back up in the transfer windows.

Perhaps he should Dave, but that's another tangent.
    The point is that Arsenal are doing more than their fair share of developing and naturing young British/English talent.
    It's part of the founding fundament of our club.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jun 03 2010, 22:24

Mark2spark wrote:
    djfitzo wrote: maybe, as many Arsenal fans have commented, he (AW) should have bought decent back up in the transfer windows.

The point is that Arsenal are doing more than their fair share of developing and naturing young British/English talent.

Even if they do go and play for someone else, wouldnt it be nice if more then just a few actually play a full season for you, out the list Burger mentioned, probably only Gibbs will see long term football at your club, its a shame to waste all that hard work, just to bring in say a Cliche or a Sangna.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jun 03 2010, 23:25

burger777 wrote:lol, mark keeps answering the question, but then the question changes, eastmond,wilshire,walcott,campbell, gibbs,watts,gilbert,hoyte,simpson and a few more have PLAYED FIRST TEAM, this kicks your 10% ratio clean into touch vis and baz, you keep saying they aint first team, but they are or they wouldn of played, a first team aint made up of just 11 players now is it. eg warnock has gone to the world cup and probably wont get a game, is he a part of englands team squad or is he not, answers on a post card please.

Very well done. WALNUT - Page 3 489583 WALNUT - Page 3 489583 WALNUT - Page 3 489583 WALNUT - Page 3 489583 WALNUT - Page 3 489583 It would be interesting to know how much time they have all had in the first team.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Thu Jun 03 2010, 23:55

WELL SAID MARK. SAID LIKE A REAL BITTER GOONER LOL

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 02:42

djfitzo wrote:
    Mark2spark wrote:

Even if they do go and play for someone else, wouldnt it be nice if more then just a few actually play a full season for you, out the list Burger mentioned, probably only Gibbs will see long term football at your club, its a shame to waste all that hard work, just to bring in say a Cliche or a Sangna.
    no its not dave, sidwell,hoyte,bentley.upson,pennant,harper,cole,hughes and more all went for decent money, which then goes into investment. i would like to carry on arguing the point with you, but like i said earlier everytime mark or i answer the question, the goal post move, eg we have had english player who have played first team but because u dont think they will never make the first team regular, they cannot be considered first team, what more can be said on the subject, alnwick dont play for spurs but i consider him in the first team squad, or is there another name or place where these inbetween players go, deal with facts please guys, assumptions wont do it with me.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 03:10

My point to the goners is . . . . . How many of those players will be regular 1st teamers at the old islington recycling centre, you know the type of player who plays 25+ games a season, all competitions ? I still stand by my guesstimite of about 10%. I feel this is a fair figure given the amount of young players who just don't make the grade at Premier League level. This goes for the foriegn players as well. And the vast majority of Premier League clubs. Spurs included. How many in the yoof set-up when 15yr old fibreglass joined are now playing regular 1st team football ? I'll leave you goners to do the research as reading things like that gives me the collywobbles & makes me feel quite nauseous lol WALNUT - Page 3 1390 . . . . .

Last edited by VisionarySound on Fri Jun 04 2010, 03:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put in = rather + on 1st draft)

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 04:11

i dont know why vis, especially if u checked your own teams stats, cesc,denilson,eboue,aluminia,glichy,gibbs,song,walcott, were all kids around then and are all around the arsenal first team now, does 8 players win the 10% bet, flamini,alidare,thomas all went for good money, toure, bentley wernt too long before that, all these guys were kids at arsenal and all played games for arsenal FIRST TEAM, i could throw asley cole into the mix as well, also i think the best centre half at our club, djourou would of figured more if not injured too, as for the future, i think walcot will get his act together, i hope to see a fit a raring ramsey, wilshire has alot too offer and got good game time at bolton, eastmonds a very good lad and i could go on but im sure u get my drift, u can give the update on your youth systen and development if your up for it. lol.
    at last back to the original thread - Walcott was born in Stanmore, England, but grew up near Newbury, where he played for A.F.C. Newbury and went to The Downs School secondary school. Walcott scored more than 100 goals[3] in his one and only season for Newbury, before leaving there for Swindon Town and later for Southampton.Southampton
    In the 2004–05 season, he starred in the Southampton youth side that reached the final of the FA Youth Cup against Ipswich Town. In addition, he became the youngest person to play in the Southampton reserve team at 15 years and 175 days, when he came off the bench against Watford in September 2004.[5] However, he did not play in the Premier League, as Southampton were relegated to the Championship at the end of the 2004–05 season.[6]
    flamimi -Marseille
    Flamini was a youth team player for his local professional club Olympique de Marseille. He made his debut for the senior team on December 20, 2003 in the 1–0 victory over Toulouse FC. He impressed for the team as a hardworking midfield player playing 14 times for the club. However it was his performances in Marseille’s UEFA Cup campaign that brought him to the attention of the general football world, including the semi-final victory over Newcastle United. He played in the final in Gothenburg which Valencia won 2–0. Due to his age, Marseille was unable to offer him a long term professional contract.
    [edit] Arsenal

[edit] 2004–05 season

On 23 July 2004, Flamini signed a professional contract for English outfit Arsenal, rejecting Marseille's long-term senior contract offer to which he had already verbally agreed. Soon after the incident, Marseille manager José Anigo stated, "This is a beautiful treason. He used me and I vow to get him back one day."

a.cole -Cole began his career with Arsenal in 1999,

djouro - Johan Djourou, is a Swiss international footballer who plays for Arsenal. He used to play as a defensive midfielder for former club Etoile Carouge, but on his arrival at Arsenal was converted to a central defender. He occasionally fills in at full back for Arsenal and played several games in central midfield while on loan to Birmingham City.

Kolo Habib Touré (born 19 March 1981) Born in Bouake, Touré joined Premier League team Arsenal in February 2002 from ASEC Mimosas for a fee of £150,000 after a short trial. His status as a full international meant Touré was able to secure an English work permit.
    fibreglass -Francesc "Cesc" Fàbregas i Soler (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈsɛsk ˈfaβɾəɣəs]; born 4 May 1987) Fàbregas started his career as a trainee with Barcelona but was signed by Arsenal in September 2003 at the age of 16

ramsey -After impressing in an Urdd tournament as a youngster he signed for Cardiff City, who beat off competition from Newcastle United, as a schoolboy at the age of eight, working his way through the club's youth system. After a few more years he eventually made his Cardiff City debut in the last home game of the 2006–07 Championship season, coming on to replace Paul Parry in the final minute of the 1–0 defeat to Hull City on 28 April 2007. In doing so, Ramsey became the youngest player to ever play for Cardiff City, aged just 16 years and 124 days,[2] beating the previous record holder John Toshack. In June 2007, Cardiff City turned down a bid of over £1m for Ramsey from a London-based Premier League club.[3] The club was not named, but it was widely believed that they continued to watch Ramsey at every available opportunity during the 2007–08 season.
    wilshire - Born in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Wilshere joined the Arsenal Academy in October 2001 at the age of nine

Well I feel dirty now doing that research but it seems to me that aresnils tendrils have been on only a few of these players developments and given the age ranges I don't see how they where all in the same yoof set-up at the same time . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 05:26

Yeah go get 'em burgs rip their pants out gnasher WALNUT - Page 3 Lol

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 05:39

How many will make the grade?

"8? What do you mean, 8? 3 is 10%, you can't have more than that! Try this then.... 'Yeah, but, how many will really make the grade, y'know, play more than 25 games a season like *cough* Ledley? No.... Kaboul No... Lennon No...' y'know what I mean anyway you're just twisting things what with you're bright future with all those English talented players"

LOLOLOL keep moving those goalposts and C'mon You Greens!!! WALNUT - Page 3 Lol WALNUT - Page 3 Lol WALNUT - Page 3 Lol

http://www.soccerbase.com/squad_season.sd
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Fri Jun 04 2010, 05:41

LOL

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 06:21

Mark2spark wrote:Yeah go get 'em burgs rip their pants out gnasher WALNUT - Page 3 Lol
    leave them to me mark lol.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 07:58

Aaron Lennon has landed in Sarf Afrika ladies & Gentlemen . . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 08:02

with his sunglasses and factor 20 cream on lol.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 08:06

More than we can say for lil theo Burgs. Aaron the Spur is on Sarf Afrikan soil . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jun 04 2010, 08:10

Enjoy supporting the Famous 4 in the Sarf African World cup Goners WALNUT - Page 3 Lol

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 08:32

too right mate, good luck to all 4 of them.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 10:25

It'll do the boys good to wear red WALNUT - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jun 04 2010, 17:13

[quote="burger777"]
    djfitzo wrote:
    Mark2spark wrote:

no its not dave, sidwell,hoyte,bentley.upson,pennant,harper,cole,hughes and more all went for decent money, which then goes into investment. i would like to carry on arguing the point with you, but like i said earlier everytime mark or i answer the question, the goal post move, eg we have had english player who have played first team but because u dont think they will never make the first team regular, they cannot be considered first team, what more can be said on the subject, alnwick dont play for spurs but i consider him in the first team squad, or is there another name or place where these inbetween players go, deal with facts please guys, assumptions wont do it with me.

Been reading this one with interest guys and thought I'd add my two cents worth ..........................................

Brace yourselves!! WALNUT - Page 3 Lol

You'll probably shrug this one off as yet another Yid having a pop Burger. So be it, but I find I have to disagree with you here and say that you appear to be clutching at straws mate.

A FIRST team player is one that features regularly in the first team and is considered to be within the top 13, or so, players within the squad. When all are fit, these players will be the ones picked to play. All other players are 'fringe' players or reserve team. They spend the vast majority of their time playing their Football in a reserve team or out on loan. Every now and then they'll get called up for first team action but those odd appearances don't make them first teamers.

You make a good point about the development of English/British talent and yes, the goons have and do produce some good quality English Footballers, that is to your credit.

However, for a number of years, since the Adams/Keown era, your entire first team has consisted of token Brits. Cole and Campbell for a while and now it's primarily Campbell as Wingnut hasn't really stamped his name on any slot and seems to drift in and out of first team contention.

Now I couldn't care less what players you have in your team. You could have 5 Swahili's in there with a couple of Nepalese, 3 Mongols and half a dozen Oompa Loompah's. In my eyes it doesn't matter, you're there to be beaten regardless of their Nationality.

But let's get the facts straight and the facts are that you have 1 English player in your first team with Walnut hovering between fringe and first team. The squad, whilst not irrelevant, is secondary in the consideration. They are there to supplement the first team, they're not part of it.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 18:44

a first team squad is a first team squad, if anyone else can find a name for it please let me know, as for the current arsenal team we are missing english talent, this is down to our astute manager picking up quality international talent for next to nothing, fabregas being the example at 0.5 million, glichy,fabregas,song,denilson are always around the first team squad, cole toure,flamini were and bentner,wilshire,djourou and walcot will be. the question was how many kids make the first team and i am just giving you the answers.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jun 04 2010, 19:49

Spot on Ion but as usual it has whooshed straight over the head of the myopic goners.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Jun 04 2010, 20:51

the question was how many kids make the first team and i am just giving you the answers.

So whats the point of nurturing (and making quite a statement of it)the young English players only to give them the odd game and mainly move them on or are you only do it for the good of everyone else. Surely it would be more astute of AW not to pay any money for foreigners and use the young english ones for free?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 05 2010, 01:27

lol, back to english players now.aw did develop english players dave but most of them didn make the grade at arsenal at that time, it happens in football that, so the like of upson,bentley,pennant,sidwell,harper,stack,hoyte,bothroyd,thomas were moved on for theres and our benefit. so thats 9 of the top of my head that didn quite make it for various reasons. ALL ENGLISH. now we all could go out and buy english players, bentley,jenas,woodgate,crouch,defoe,huddlestone,dawson and then make out we are totally english, we look after our own, but whats the point if it aint good enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 03 2024, 13:52